Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sindai posted:

This is no different from just cutting all MP costs significantly so I don't see why they'd do it.

It's actually different because increasing the base gain means you are slightly less dependent on ruler stats for your MP. Which I am all for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bel Monte posted:

:siren: Steam just alerted me that the code I used for Common Sense through WinGameStore is no longer valid. :siren:

Gonna contact them and see what the deal is and what can be done to resolve this issue.

I just got this a few minutes ago too. Completely bullshit as the payment was processed on September 5th and had been registered just as long. Let me know what you hear from them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

WinGameStore made absolutely no indication they were re-selling keys or that their keys were from another country. Nothing came up on Google that they were a reseller of any sort, in fact multiple people here claimed they were completely legitimate.

At this point it's getting to be a case of 'Don't buy anywhere but Steam or GoG' because literally everyone else has just become a re-seller off the grey market.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bel Monte posted:

Crisis averted!
Turns out, according to them, that it was a mistake. Here's what they sent me:

Yeah they replied in a couple of minutes for me as well, so that's that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Rights of Man is on sale for 44% off on the Paradox store https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man
I nabbed both it and Mare Nostrum for $16.

:toot:

Random question but what's up with there being duplicate DLC for Fredman's Epistles? Have two slightly differently named ones but the same contents AFAIK.

Now to figure out who to play as. I've got all the DLC except Mare Nostrum but haven't played much since the fort change...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

They gave our Fredman's Epistles for free for doing something so possibly it's related to that?

If you want an easy fun game with new content play Ethiopia.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a try. Is anything in Mare Nostrum important enough to make it worth picking up, or is it just minor/specific stuff not really worth worrying about?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What's a good starting plan for Ethiopia? I've got plenty of neighbors I can pick on, but it seems like I'm very gold starved right out of the gate. Been a while since I've played and there are a lot of new systems in place so I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to or not.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How about some starter picks for Ethiopia Idea Groups? Not sure if I should be looking to colonize the empty land around me, go heavy military, or what now.

Hows the balance on idea groups these days in general? Are there still a fair number of go-tos and ones you pretty much never pick or are they all pretty good in the right situations?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thanks for the assorted advice re: Idea Groups and Ethiopia. Sounds like not much has changed in terms of Idea Groups since last I played.

Elotana posted:

Ethiopia has a +10 prestige event within the first few weeks. Disinherit your lovely heir, then RM your Coptic vassal so you can get Eleni. Conquer Kaffa first (you have to bust through some minors in the new patch) to get a gold mine and then rival and throw the kitchen sink (mercs/loans if they ally Ajuraan or whoever) at Adal to make up prestige and get some coastline. You get mission CBs fairly often. I would ally either Yemen or Hejaz just to ensure you only have two fronts to defend for the first century of the game.

Alright so question about this.

Son is 5/3/1 Strong, Daughter is 5/3/4 Average.

Q1) How bad is Average instead of Strong for a claim? Would this mainly be an issue if I had potential for a succession war or does it effect other things?
Q2) If I take the Son first and then accept the daughter's event, would that basically give me the stability point for free and replace the son with the daughter immediately?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah just tried it and it worked. Even got a sick Itege out of it :v:

Q) Should I spend some diplo points to build up the production on my gold mines if I'm still strapped for cash? Seems to give you a ton of extra income, not sure when that % for the mine to deplete starts getting serious though.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 28, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Absolutely! The inflation can start to suck but running the -inflation advisor helps a ton. General consensus is to not exceed 9 points, due to old habits, but you're also really unlikely to suffer depletion at a level as low as that. And depletion isn't so bad, you lose half of those points and can always dump more diplo to build it up again if you need the income

Alright, I'm still hurting for gold a bit so I'll probably start putting some points into my two mines then. Gotta start building some boats too :buddy:

Most of the new features seem pretty cool so far, there haven't been enough forts around to do much with the ZoC rules yet. Still a little vague on when you shouldn't turn something into a State... or should you just always do so unless you're starting to bump into the State limit?

Also when it comes to conquering a whole other nation, generally speaking should I be looking to vassalize them if they don't have some particularly essential piece of land I want immediately? Since I'm assuming Diplomacy points are still a fair bit less important than Admin, and you want to still have some vassals to feed and later diplo annex and all that yeah? Also to help keep OE and AE down a bit if I recall. Under the consideration of how many diplomatic relationships I already have of course.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Question about Offensive Idea Group. I know that the Military Leader +1 Shock and +1 Fire are a Big Deal, but do those apply to leaders gotten from the Estate interaction? How about from Events?

Speaking of, got an event right before going to war with the Malmuks for a 100 Trad leader ... believe he was 3/4/3/4. Think this is gonna be fun.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I was wondering the other day about what payoff timeframe you're looking for for buildings. Like I've got a couple of places I could build a Temple and it would pay for itself in ~50 years, but most places aren't anywhere near that.

Or how about Marketplaces, since those increase trade Power which is hard to determine how much money will actually generate in the first place.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I figured something was a bit off because as Ethiopia I conquered my first coastal province (and thus had 0 sailors to start with) and I still have never had to think about how many sailors I had while filling out my entire naval fleet. I actually tend to just forget they're even a mechanic.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think I'm just totally blind but is there no way to ask an ally to transfer occupation of a province to you during war? I want to take a very specific province for my own.

For reference, the occupier does not want the province, I can't select for them to take it either.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 12, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you're able to set it as a province of interest, the AI will transfer it to you quickly.

Says an ally has already claimed it. Uhg.

E: I tried rolling back to a save before the war and even claiming it as a province of interest, they still will not transfer ownership to me. Do I just have to wait a long time? They definitely do not want the province.

E2: Uhg well, it took a bit of fiddling and uh, letting one of my allies eat a few stack wipes, but the Mamluks have been thoroughly trashed.

Ya'll love screwy boarders right? :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hrm, yeah that new Age stuff could be kind of neat, but it sort of feels like a feature too far at this point. I'm really digging where 1.19 is though so I have no problem sticking with it if the new features just end up feeling like bloat.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

At what point does it start to make sense to just take out a handful of loans to embrace an institution? Like say if it's going to cost me an additional 1000 ducats and I'm pulling ~12 ducats per month on average, and it's spreading very slowly in my provinces, and I'm sitting at 35% tech penalty at this point, it seems like it would make sense to just go ahead and buy it out immediately with 3-4 loans.

But I dunno if there are any general rules to follow in regards to that, like if you should always get them ASAP or maybe wait a bit if you aren't too far behind (and your tech levels are ahead anyway, for example). Kind of similarly not sure about if you should beeline to start spreading by doing development ASAP as soon as a new one pops up or not.

Oh also, if you are fully annexing another country, you can still take ducats from them, is there any reason NOT to do that other than inflation I guess? Just seems kinda funny that you are claiming everything anyway, where's the money come from? :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ah, I see the Ottomans are allied with France, Tunis, and Muscovy. Alright. :suicide:

Thanks for the tips on institutions, it was pretty much exactly what I was figuring.

What about for moving your capital for Trade purposes, when's the right time to do so? My Zanzibar node is making more money as my non-primary than my Ethiopian primary, despite having a smaller portion of trade power. Good time to move it over yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Ethiopia is an origin node so it's one of the worst places to have your trade capitol. Definitely move to Zanzibar ASAP, colonize the Cape for a buffer zone, and then get to work on locking down the Gulf of Aden.

France already got in at the cape :doh:

It's fine it's a re-learning playthrough. I'm at like 1560 right now, how do you end up expanding down that far fast enough, beeline for the second colonist or just pay the extra for multiple colonies at once?

I'll try fiddling with trade setup once I relocate, I'm guessing it tend to be more valuable to steer everything into your capital node if there are other valuable nodes near it yeah?

I'm ranked 3rd World Power right now which is nice, but the Ottoman blob is coming for me soon I think. I think I probably wouldn't have had too much issues until they allied with Muscovy, since now they're pulling in about 250 total force limit and that's just not gonna work out well.

• Locked thread