Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Something is definitely wonky with forts - do they only stop movement if they're fully garrisoned? Just watched Poland march across a hostile Brandenburg to Holstein, passing right through Berlin without stopping to siege the capitol or the castle that is built there, which as far as I know isn't a thing that should be possible now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wilekat posted:

Rebellions smashing provinces in one tick is rough, particularly at the beginning of the game as a small power.

This is really annoying, especially with the ten years of separatism. Forts stop them but this also means you have to build forts literally everywhere.

It would be a lot better if separatism ramped up based on how long the province is occupied by rebels instead of just "occupied for 1 day, eat 10 years of separatism!" like it is now.

CaptCommy posted:

IIRC, the free fort you get in your capital does not have any zone of control.

Brandenburg starts with a castle in Berlin as well, which is why I said the capitol and castle. It's 3k total garrison (1k capitol + 2k castle), so as far as I know people marching straight through it shouldn't be possible but I definitely just watched it happen.

Edit: I'm guessing what happened is that zones of control don't go into effect until the month ticks over after having checked the button to maintain your forts (even if said fort is also your capitol and has a default 1/3 of its garrison at all times, which is unintuitive but understandable from a gameplay perspective). So it looks like if you rush enemy forts on day 1 of a war you have 27-30 days to instasiege them if they were not being maintained. Kinda silly.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Honestly I think diploannexing being stupid expensive now is fine. It was basically easymode just diploannexing everyone before.

I am also really digging the province development mechanic, finally something to do with those extra monarch points that just pile up. I don't think I've got a solid enough grip on it to feel whether the current costs are too high (or ... low?) but overall I enjoy the way the new system lets us do more with our provinces.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

OneTwentySix posted:

The thing is, points only pile up if you're in Europe and you're not doing a lot of expanding. If you play anywhere else in the world, you don't have a surplus of monarch points. Over ten tech levels, not counting any modifiers to cost, you're going to spend 6,000 monarch points. An eastern nation will pay 1,200 more points over that time, Muslim 2,400, Indian 3,000, Chinese 3,600, and a North/South American will pay 15,000 more tech points. An Eastern nation might reach the cap in dip or military points a couple times each game if they have good leaders, but for the most part they're struggling to maintain tech parity.

It sounds like your issue is more with the fact that diplomatic annexation is tied to the same pool of points as technology which somewhat unrealistically impacts non-western tech groups (something I'd be inclined to agree with) rather than sheer point scarcity or costs of specific actions now. The alternative situation, which your post kind of goes into, involves tech parity - historically this wasn't a thing between the West and the rest of the world during the game's time frame, so I don't see why it should be a thing in EU4 without serious player intervention.

I'll throw a perhaps ill-devised solution into the ring: diplomatic annexation costs should be scaled based upon a nation's ability to generate diplomatic points. That way diplomatic annexation can remain tied to diplomatic points (thus keeping them relevant) but still be adjusted in a way which doesn't unreasonably impact non-western technology groups.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Emperor being forced to revoke reforms is one of those amazing changes that should have been bolded in the patch notes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

God bless you Wiz, this is the best expansion ever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I hope not since I'm pretty sure any numbskull can pull this off now that France is neutered and Burgundy is no longer a reasonable threat.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
No more however many vassals x 3-5 regiments armies to support France's own armies right off the bat is the main thing, I think. That alone was another what , 15ish regiments you had to deal with? France's starting power is now much more on par with England's so with a couple of allies you can actually win without crazy gamey tactics or a hail mary situation.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

I really enjoyed my Brandenburg game. Also the Hansa would be a good one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's just a chair, let him have it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just found out the hard way that though you can select both land and enforce union in the same peace offer, you don't get the land (but you sure get the AE, and the war score requirements, and the diplomatic points taken).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Pakled posted:

In my Teutonic Order->Prussia Protestant game, two centers of reformation in unfortified AI provinces got flipped by Catholic rebels while I wasn't looking, early in the reformation. :(

That's kind of awesome. Should probably spawn a new center elsewhere if it's early enough in the Reformation, but I like that rebels can do that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Whoever originally suggested Frankfurt as spot on, playing as a hyper-aggressive OPM the entire game is incredibly fun, and since you can't blob you also don't reach that inevitable tipping point where the game is over but you've still got 300 years left to play. Would highly recommend if you've not tried a free city game yet.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Guildencrantz posted:

So what idea groups do you take? Economic is a no-brainer given the amount of development you'll be doing, as is early Quantity, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what else is good for a permanent OPM. Administrative for piles of mercs? Diplomatic?

I actually didn't take economic as one of my first two, but took Trade and Quantity instead since otherwise you'll have trouble making ends meet once you start fielding artillery. Influence is up next for the +50% vassal force limit contribution since that will get another few regiments and hopefully keep vassals from rebelling. After that it's basically going to be whatever lowers province development cost because that's going to get expensive real fast when it's 10 development/land forcelimit.

Don't forget to make vassals marches since that gives -15% liberty desire.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sardinia-Piedmont has the coolest map color in the game.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GSD posted:

Why is Riga a kingdom-level theocracy, while its neighboring monastic orders are only duchy-leveled?

Better question: why are nations released in peace automatically kingdoms instead of duchies, especially small nations such as Croatia and Sicily? Makes no sense.

Kersch posted:

WARNING: AI borders! Only click if you have a strong stomach!

http://i.imgur.com/S6LoBkS.jpg

I went into that thinking "how can I actually be offended by borders" but I really do regret clicking on that link.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Forming Scandinavia takes Denmark out the HRE, why must you ruin my fun Wiz!

Anyone know if you can immediately rejoin if you happen to be emperor at the time you form a new nation whose formation decision un-HREs all your provinces?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Managed to become Emperor as the Palatinate thanks to some timely bribes and now France is on my doorstep. Okay, I know dealing with them is risky at best, but may as well check out who they're allied with and see if I can maybe--

Oh that's nice, that's just the entirety of western Europe ready to attack me whenever France feels like taking one of my provinces. :stonk: Where the gently caress do I even begin to defend against this?

Fake edit: I went and allied Poland so I'll have someone to throw bodies at France. Turns out they're 1996 ducats in debt :doh:

France is heavily, heavily neutered with the latest expansion, and Portugal (and usually Castile, especially if pre-Aragon union) are generally pushovers as well.

I mean it might be a bit of a challenge as the Palatinate but if you have been expanding at all then it really shouldn't be much of a problem, especially with emperor force limit and manpower bonuses.

Edit: you can try declaring war on Milan or Portugal. What's -2 stability in the grand scheme of things, anyways?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 28, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Can someone post the official Kongo strategy? I gave it a run and got steamrolled pretty on, but then I am a bad EU4 player.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Node posted:

How on earth are you supposed to do this achievement, when Poland wants to destroy the TO, and you're too far to be able to do anything about it?

Could always push Poland's poo poo in, they seem to collapse and lose Lithuania half the time anyways.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There is one and you've turned it off apparently.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

It appears that France is confused.

Edit: or maybe they just wanted to get in the HRE and then take it all back? Who knows!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jsor posted:

Wow, I think that's the most screwed up Western Europe I've seen. It's almost amazing that it got that messed up by 1509.

I also like Brittany's random little exclave.

The best part is Castile chose to marry local talent and Poland is set to lose the Lithuania PU once the king dies. It's gonna be a wild ride from here on out, I expect!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Poil posted:

I see. And I completely agree with the hugbox. But if the Iberians don't always manage to dogpile the Berbers there's no need to screw with missionary stuff.

Absolutely. Just because two nations occasionally manage to convert some ahistorical area doesn't mean you need to go mess with fundamental game mechanics like making Muslims harder to convert - mechanics which also affect the other 200-whatever nations as well. If you want to model the reconquista/inquisition as an Iberia-only thing that's all well and good but you also run the risk of getting back into an EU2-esque "history's on rails, lads!" situation which, frankly, was not nearly as fun as the open-ended gameplay we have now. The ability to do wacky poo poo in new and interesting places is what gets people come back to these games again and again - how many times am I seriously going to play in Iberia if I look at North Africa and "meh, effort" and do yet_another_game_of_colonization?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's pretty dumb that your government rank drops if you are the emperor and add your capital to the empire.

The emperor should have a max government rank of emperor regardless of whether you are an elector or not.

The tooltip is ambiguous, but if you become emperor are you able to re-increase your government level back to whatever the present cap is (based on development, obviously)? As in if you start with 1000 development, join HRE and drop to duchy, you should be able to get back to empire by pressing the button unless being a duchy is hardcoded for everyone but Bohemia and Austria. In which case that's really dumb.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Also requires that unexplored areas exist within your colonial range, a requirement which isn't indicated anywhere in game as I recall.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jazerus posted:

@realkingoffrance peasants are revolting again, what a joke #monarchproblems

For those that missed April 1st.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It'd be way more useful than the message log at present.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Scotland starts in a horrible position now that England and France don't start at war. England's more likely to see that you're both dirt poor and have a tiny army and declare war on you pretty fast. How the hell do you survive against England long enough to actually turn a monthly profit? You start the game with two forts and losing 2.50 a month!

Turn off maintenance, delete carracks & cogs, problem solved. Not like boats will do you any good until you've dealt with England anyways.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TTBF posted:

They're guaranteeing your independence. You don't need to ally them.

This is good advice. If you ally France, you'll get called into war against England as soon as France inevitably decides to retake the continental provinces. On the other hand if you just hang out being guaranteed, the ball's in your court (to wait until England ships all their troops to the continent to fight France, then you pour across the border and siege everything down before England can mount a response).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It appears that Lithuania retains the lucky flag even if they're in a personal union under a PC Poland.

Anyone know if this also works with vassals (esp. those who are forced)? I am going to need another overpowered general creating vassal after I form the Commonwealth and Brandenburg would work well.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What's the starting combat width again? It's 9, right? This really should be a tooltip viewable somewhere other than on the actual battle screen when its already too late. Plenty of space on the military screen to show combat width + modifiers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

How long does it take for mercenaries to update to the latest unit?

Employed mercenaries never update AFAIK. You have to dismiss them and hire new ones.

Edit: unit type of mercenaries available on the hiring screen are a function of who has cores on the province in question, and should update monthly.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 8, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is it just me or is Moscow/Russia designed to always explode around 1600?

Time of Troubles event can fire between 1550-1650, so ... yes, basically.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
1.13.1 has some awesome changes.

quote:

- Added proper acceptance logic for Demand Unlawful Territory, instead of AI always saying no.
- Added console command 'bearhaslanded'.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I apparently haven't played a Russia game in ages - what are peoples' favorite opening idea sets? I've heard good things about religious but I'm not really seeing where it'll stay useful the entire game.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TorakFade posted:

With better relations over time people forget about my rear end-kickings rather fast too.

poo poo, is that what that modifier does? 980 hours played and I thought it only affected your diplomats' improve relations modifier. Had no idea it improved passive normalization.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Ah yeah. I have absolutely NO DLC

I know it sucks to buy the game and then be told that you have to buy the DLC to make it fun, but seriously, buy the DLC if you plan on playing more than like two hours ever. At least the big expansion packs - Common Sense and Art of War are basically must haves, and really Res Publica and Wealth of Nations are worth getting too. You can probably skip the natives-centric ones (Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado) if you don't plan on colonizing/exploring or playing in America.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

For some reason everyone does Switzerlake the hard way.

I'm guessing those are client states rather than colonial nations, then?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Cossacks content pack is up but no Cossacks expansion :(

Edit: nevermind, shows up in search but not in EU4's DLC listing, thanks gaben.

• Locked thread