Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

firestruck posted:

I've played like 80 years out of a campaign already and haven't experienced any comically disastrous bugs, and have done similar things with every expansion except for conquest of paradise.

Maybe I'm just lucky or something though.

Nah it's literally found one bug of modest seriousness = unplayable mess of bugs. Some posters are highly invested in being hysterical about our releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

So they decided that the best way to prevent the player from doing world conquests (kinda weird how the EU devs are so autistic about fighting every mechanic people use to do them since 99.9% of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about it) was by making basic game mechanics expensive as gently caress monarch-points wise, meaning the AI who already struggled super hard at keeping up tech wise will now an even bigger push-over (since not only will it expand at a slower pace but it will also level up at a slower rate).

Nope, you're just really dumb.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

That bug being the "If nationalist rebels of your tag win their revolt in another country they take over your country" bug?

No, that one is obviously serious. It's just that there are a few posters (you know who you are) who sit and wait after every release until someonbe posts a bug (any bug) and then proclaim the game an unplayable mess. It's more cute than anything.

20000 people playing for an hour on 20000 hardware setups will ALWAYS find some serious issues we've missed. We could do QA for a year and this would still happen, and while we will obviously patch these issues they are only affecting a very small number of players.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 10, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tercio posted:

Looks like the Johan symbiote found a new host body.

My policy is to try and be reasonable with anyone who offers genuine criticism but if you want to be a dumb babby it's not my job to coddle you.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I do think there is a concern with monarch points being too tight if in a slow techgroup. Plan to do some brainstorming around it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

I noticed something you might want to change. If you war and annex a OPM, you can forcibly convert their religion as well which instantly changes the province to your faith bypassing the whole missionary conversion. It only works for heretics but it's obviously not intended. Maybe make the conversion happen after a day or two or just disable it if you take ALL provinces.

Yeah that's def a bug.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Authority is not enough, votes have to be in favor as well.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jackson Taus posted:

Since Embassies were removed, the Emperor has one less Diplomat to suck up to HRE members with. I wonder if that could play a role.

Probably just a weak Emperor, a 2pm Emperor won't be passing reforms under any circumstances.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Apoffys posted:

Why is it that the AI can walk through/past my forts as if they weren't there, while I can't do the same to them? Here's a screenshot of Austria happily marching past my fort to get at me, but I've also had the AI walk through the province with the fort to get at me before.

AI obeys same rules you do (the block is in the basic pathfinding check). I admit that looks odd though, did they somehow come from Cremona previously?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

Shouldn't work like that. I'll look into it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

They really need to make it so that fleets on trade orders that need to repair do so at the closest FRIENDLY port rather than closest national port. My trade fleets are constantly sailing between Europe and the new world to repair because the AI won't send them to my colonial nations, even though they can dock and repair there just fine.

A few times they'll even take attrition on the way back to their trade zone, reach their trade zone and realize they need repairs and sail back to europe.
Wiz, please :(

Will look at it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Apoffys posted:

That was either fast work or a coincidence, since it hasn't been very long since that change was suggested in this thread. A good change anyway!

It's actually been something I've been wanting to do for a year and a half. Finally got some time to bite into my backlog for this patch.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Colonization is busted in the beta patch. Going to look at it tomorrow.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just posted the DD about the EU4 design process.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really weirding me out how you keep referencing yourself in the third person and switching between third and first person plural there.

It's because me and Johan co-wrote the post. I didn't realize I slipped in first person perspective.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is it just me or does 1490 deadline for keeping North Italy in the HRE seem a bit strict? With the massive AE penalty to taking Venetian provinces, I barely had enough time to add just those provinces to the empire before 1490 rolled around.

It's not supposed to be easy.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

Is the HRE supposed to lose Imperial Authority if there are heretics in the empire after Westphalia?

Yes. Westphalia is not supposed to good for the Emperor.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just posted a dev diary about how we're remaking Random New World.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was just thinking the other day that a tile-based Random New World would be a good idea, and then you go and post this. I have a few question though, in regards to the terrain and climate. I assume the tiles include heighmaps, but do the heighmaps affect climate? As in a great big mountain range could result in a rain shadow, while highlands are cooler than lower lying regions. Also, am I correct in assuming each tile has to be a complete landmass? In my mind I had imagined a sort of puzzle-piece system, with various pieces having predefined possibly neighbors (meaning a massive super continent could be created out of a bunch of smaller pieces), but then it is pretty easy coming up with ideas you don't have to implement. :v:

Yes, they include heightmap, and yes, both heightmap and rivers affect the surrounding terrain.

No, a tile does not have to be a complete landmass. A tile can be an archipelago of hundreds of islands.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

firestruck posted:

Sweden wins by default.

Actually true because it goes by tag order in case of a tie between two non-Emperors and Sweden is the first (non rebel non native non pirate) tag.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 14, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

420 Gank Mid posted:

In what % of test games does this ever happen?

I've never ever seen it happen. A two-way tie between Emperor candidates is unlikely enough, that one of them is also Sweden is super unlikely.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OneTwentySix posted:

Managed to get a screenshot of it happening.

1.12 or 1.13?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OneTwentySix posted:

1.13. I am pretty sure it has something to do with capitals that have no fort, but it could be more.

Weird - this issue should be fixed in 1.13. I'll look at it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tahirovic posted:

Wiz is there any chance you could rework Rome being a requirement for Northern Italy staying in the HRE? Austria just seem to ally them too often, preventing them from keeping the HRE together. I also always assumed that the Papal States/The Pope is the secular arm while the Emperor was the worldly arm, so it would make sense for the two of them to work together.

I guess the AI just doesn't fully understand how that Italy things works.

The AI isn't really meant to try and keep Italy in the Empire.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trujillo posted:

Hey Wiz, is anyone looking into the constant desynchs in multiplayer? It's making the game near unplayable right now and it's been this way since common sense.

Yes, they're proving very tricky to track down though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

Wiz was playing an MP game where every colonial nation, being Muslim, was masterly named. See: Khalifornia.

Caliphornia

Also United Sheiks, Allahska and Infidel Castro. I forget what I called Canada.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.

Hahahaha oh man I really like these changes, I think after the patch hits I'm going to start as Nepal, take over some Vajrayana land, convert to Vajrayana Buddhism Best Buddhism and play world police. Ideally I could culture switch to Tibetan and form Tibet for the Theocracy, but I think Tibet's one of the formable nations that overwrites your ideas, and why start as Nepal if you're going to abandon those ludicrous ideas?

- At least 50 AE is now required for a country to join a coalition (up from 30)
- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- AI: Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.

So basically no coalitions ever?

AE decay rate isn't changed so if you expand quickly enough you'll still get coalitions, and the AI can still muck up and overestimate its own power. It was a bit extreme when one province could push you into coalition territory under certain circumstances though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Odobenidae posted:

I've had it where 2/3 vassals have a normal relative power and then one has a crazy 100% stronger than my army modifier which jumps their liberty desire up, and only theirs.

It's because they get support for independence. Interface should probably be clearer there.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I did a dev diary on all the map stuff I've been hinting at/tweeting about.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bort Bortles posted:

This would have been a great post if not for the mana reference. Or am I just being a snob?

No. It's a rather tired meme.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Honestly wars should be won or lost more decisively based on large battles. It's pretty :histdowns: fighting a war that consists of dozens of massive battles and widespread sieges and occupations. Most of the Napoleonic coalition wars were decided with one or two battles (Austerlitz, Eylau, etc.). Not to mention that armies of this time were not logistically capable of the sorts of occupations you need to win a war in this game.

We'd had 'one battle decides the war' at one point in EU4 in large wars. It was absolutely terrible. Gameplay goes before historical accuracy.

I also think you guys are underestimating the problems related with making the AI be 'reasonable'. If the AI was 'reasonable' and gave up a province or two as soon as you win a siege or a battle, it basically means you can take territory from them at will with essentially no risk or manpower burn. There's also the problem of the player then being unreasonable and refusing to ever surrender or accept an AI's surrender so they can burn that AI's country to the ground.

The peace mechanics in EU4 is what turns every war into total war, having the AI pretend to play otherwise will do it more harm than good.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 21, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I don't think I ever experienced that. What was it like?

Wars with 500,000 people on each side where one battle gave 40 warscore, ie "whoever attacks in bad terrain first loses".

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

I love all these complaints about the AI throwing in their all to help out their AI allies juxtaposed with earlier talk about the uselessness of people's own allies.

And here you have it. Players want AIs to gice 400% when fighting in their wars and white peace instantly if outnumbered by 0.1% when their enemy.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

junidog posted:

Is there a reason for this? Assigning a different meaning to = always seems like a really, really strange tradition to buck.

Just legacy really. Newer games have >= and such.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Honestly, whenever the AI declares war on me (usually to conquer a single mission province) I will send my entire army and manpower pool to their deaths defending that province. Then I'll run my country to the brink of bankruptcy funneling mercenaries into the breach because I refuse to lose a war to video game AI. If I gain the advantage I'll take my time patiently 100%ing the country and taking a ton of their stuff in the peace.

Basically the AI behaves like stubborn and petty human players.

Maybe I should code the AI to be reasonable to players that act reasonable, and petty and stubborn to ones that don't.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

mmmm you're right, maybe I should play this sandbox video game in a more 'reasonable' fashion.

No, the point isn't to make you play differently but rather that AI does not need to be a stubborn jerk if the player isn't, so maybe have it act accordingly.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I tweeted a WIP picture of the reworked Random New World for anyone interested. Trade nodes are now dynamically generated along with the world instead of re-using the old new world connections. The trade node names are silly because they're placeholders from a random place name generator.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

Exciting! Sane (saner?) trade nodes will help a lot.

Assuming 1.14 still a fairly long ways out, hopefully you'll do a second diary on it.

When it's more finished I will. There's a lot more cool stuff coming, continents that are hooked into the edges of the map for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fuligin posted:

Very cool, it's rad that you guys are taking time out of other development to work on this.

Fixing RNW has been one of my biggest ambitions since I became project lead. The old implementation simply wasn't worthy of an EU4 expansion.

• Locked thread