Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like the new changes to rebels and stuff that doesn't have forts on it. The second separatist appear they siege it down and give province a separatist state for 10 years. Unless you're placing your armies directly ontop of these places you'll never get there before it's been sieged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, EUIV keeps instant closing when I launch it under Windows 10. Anyone else get this? Verified the cache and it's fine.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. It should now require the fort falling which would give the entire zone separatism.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly do you create Vassals with your religion? I fully converted all of the provinces that would be handed back and it still forces the religion of the old tag.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is this a joke? Are the Ottomans in the 1444 start super sayians or some poo poo? How the gently caress are they capable of supporting an army of 30 while simultaneously supporting a fleet of 37 ships. I tried pulling the ol' attack while Ottomans are across the Bosporus stunt with Byzantium but there is no loving way I can even build 37 ships.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agnostalgia posted:

They build way over their naval forcelimits because its mostly galleys and they can afford to. You really need to get a good ally for the first war, so you can actually beat them on the ground.

Is there even any Allies capable of stunting that kind of poo poo in the region? I checked Hungary, PLC, and Austria aren't possible to improve for Alliance in my past 5 attempts. The regional states are all on truce until Dec 1449 so they're useless for offensive wars. Even if I did dupe Austria or Hungary into a war they're land powers and I can't manage parity with the Ottomans.

Also it was 50/50 galleys and light ships.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
God drat this loving game is irritating the poo poo out of me lately. The small scale wars are fine, against nations like Bohemia and such. The large scale wars are irritating beyond belief. The forts are an amazing concept, there are actual frontiers and the AI deploys them quite decently. What erks me is that they're ignored when occupied. The AI just spams the poo poo out of 1 stack mercenaries and just blows deep into occupied lines and starts capturing the lands that aren't forted. When fighting Commonwealth or France you can't stop it, they always get through. Why the hell don't the forts block when occupied?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

That was just in CK 1, wasn't it? Man, it was expensive to cross water but so much more convenient than the transports in EU and CK2.

The AI may actually be capable of running Amphibious invasions if it were that easy. One of the big problems I had with the HOI was Britain and the US being total washes if it's a player Germany. Just being capable of planning ahead prevents any sort of seaborne invasion from getting traction.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, so I'm a decent sized Empire. I have 15 loans out ranging from 700-1000 ducats. With everything cut back to the bone I make about 15 ducats a month. Interest alone is about 35. Should I just sit back and try paying this all off or should I intentionally auger the finances and go into default? It's about 1680 so there is a high chance of going Revolutionary if I time it correctly. This game has not been going in my favor for sure. I just lost a coalition war and had to release a few OPM in the Balkans, Tunis and release Trebizond.

http://i.imgur.com/UUHRunn.jpg

Edit: I suppose I could demo a bunch of forts in the interior of the Empire since I'm not really at risk of Naval invasion but that only would give me something like 7 ducats more.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ImPureAwesome posted:

Any small trade rich country pinatas you could beat up nearby? Thats what I tend to do

I just lost a coalition war so I'm on cooldown with most of Western Europe, the only potentials would probably be Kaffa and Hejez. That would maybe wipe out one or two loans but probably incur a few since Persia is allied to some of those states and they seem to punch quite hard in the past few Eastern games I've played.

Edit: Started a war, and leader dies and huge pretender revolt begins :dawkins101: Ok I checked and it would take me 57 years to pay off the loans at full stop cutbacks and no war.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 16, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sloshmonger posted:

What's your autonomy situation? With constant warring and little peace, you may have a number of highly profitable provinces at high autonomy that would help your situation if their autonomy was reduced.

Autonomy is good. It's the loan interest literally cutting my income in half then army, navy and forts reducing the remainder down to 1/4th. 17 ducats a month trying to pay off about 11k in loans. I crushed a few small nations and looted them and made them pay war reparations but that removed 3 off the ledgers. Milan just war decced and they're marching a 60 stack into Italy so I'll be forced to run up more debts to win the war.

It's rather hilarious that the AI can detect how lovely my situation is and exploit it. It's what keeps me interested in the game.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I managed to get myself out of the debt spiral that I was in with my Byzantium game. I never managed to recreate even the Justinian borders, let alone go maximum Trajan. Lucky Nations is off so Europe actually got to go wild. I just decided to bulldoze the Arabian peninsula so I could lock down the Aden trade post. Getting bogged down for about 100 years in successive coalition wars and lost defensive wars alongside spiraling debt totally stalled my blobbing. From the 1700 mark onward I managed to get an unholy Alliance of Prussia, Russia, Bohemia, Burgundy and Castille on my side. Milan was actually quite a power before I dropped that loving doom hammer onto them. At 1770 they had the Po Valley under their control. Annexed half of it and then their former allies and the minor powers in Europe decided to dogpile them and cut them down to a OPM.

:getin:

The problem I have with Vicky 2 is that I have outright no idea how to play it. But then again I think that's the problem with every player, including the developers. I debating playing as Toulouse or Normandy in Vicky 2.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You should always jump in against France if Burgundy is at war with France. Burgundy is a loving brute lately and likely can manhandle France on their own.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:asoiaf: Started a game as England, it started going well. Then by the 1550s it started going downhill. Took Scotland, took Ireland and was just planning to bunker down and colonize the gently caress out of the new world as Portugal and Spain didn't really seem inclined to do anything. Then it was literally nonstop war from 1550-1680. I'd end one war and a new one would immediately start, end that war and whoops colonial independence movement since you have no units left. Beat that down and suddenly the first round of truces end and I'm at war again. Oh time for the English Civil War!

Ironically the Religious League War was probably the best things ever to happen to me. I outright gave up paying off 15-20 loans and just kept taking more or and more out to build ships and buildings until I was bankrupt. Then since every single opponent and colonial nation was already at war or on my side in a war I just cruised out the entire bankruptcy duration and now I'm finally doing well.

This is easily the most frustrating Iron Man game I've ever played. Playing as England has really exposed some of the more irritating elements of the game to me. AI Naval groups appear to not suffer from FoW and will instantly begin moving if you tell your armada to move in that direction. Denmark is plaguing me nonstop with Trade CB because they send their fleet on a piracy mission for a single month then revoke it instantly.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 6, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did straights get reworked in the recent patch? I've been playing England and got involved with a few wars with Denmark and Sweden and they keep bouncing across the straights despite the full 100% blockade I'm running across all of Scandinavia.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing Aztec for the first time. Where the hell is this Doom meter and how do I reform poo poo? The religion tab shows nothing and I don't see any sort of Doom number anywhere except from events.

Edit: Oh I'm an idiot, it's down by the HRE and Papacy mechanic area.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 21, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, so Aztec and the nations around it play entirely different from normal European EUIV. I take it the goal is to vassalize all 5 around you and feed them the remaining states then reform out to a functional society?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:sigh: So much for this run.

Westernized by 1550 as Ming, had Golden Horde and Korchin as vassals and was going to diplo annex both once I had conquered all of the stuff north of Ming. Game turned super sour once I realized Commonwealth, Muscovy and Ottoman were all allied to each other and began rolling me out of Europe.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

What were your goals for the game? It's only 1600..you have so much time.

That is what the game looks like rolled back to 1.15. The top bar is corrupted and the water looks like rear end. I was going to attempt a WC but it's become impossible since Russia, Commonwealth and Ottomans are a triple Alliance. France isn't even around to provide a counterweight. I'm not even sure I could win a zerg war if I took control of all of India and Persia. Those three are just way too strong.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

I have mixed feelings on this. I support ROTW being harder, but the current westernization system is screwy (and more importantly kinda... unfun?) and encourages gamey poo poo like trying to grab colonies in the new world in order to get a border with a western state.

I'd like to see a westernization system that was more involved, somehow.

Like in order to westernize you had to
Reform Government (Admin)
Reform Society (Diplo)
Reform Military (Mil)

and you had to buy your way up a series of reform tracks something like the native American tracks. These reforms would be really, really expensive (your entire point pool for one? makes it easier/harder to reform the better/worse your starting tech group is), but could offer a bunch of discounts based on various factors like: bordering western states, having a western ally, having idea groups like innovative, low corruption, other nations in your culture group/geo region having the reforms, etc.

Each reform could offer some small bonus (+discipline, -tech cost) but also come with a mini event chain? Or each Reform Track could have a triggered Disaster that gains points the more reforms you have?

It would also fit the rest of the games philosophy better, by taking active action and spending points manually. The current system of clicking 'go' and suffering heavy point drain for decades while passively waiting for some meters to fill is... not fun?

Didn't EU3Plus reform in that manner? It was pretty irritating.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in a Perfidious Albion run. Whats the optimal strategy for Britain these days? Last time I played I heavily colonized which led to the colony having larger armies than I which led to rebellions every time the truce timer wore down. The constant war prevented me from really expanding on the continent or into India.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Help... how do I break the super Alliance of Commonwealth-Scandinavia-Brandenberg-Tuscany-Portugal? The only allies I have are Austria, Trebizond and Muscovy. Muscovy is a walking corpse and I'm so far behind in tech I may be a loving tribal nation compared to the Robocop soldiers wielded by Sweden and Brandenberg. I'm only going for the Basileus achievement here. I need to take Trebizond, Silistria, Cyprus, Theodoro and Caffa.

It's been an astonishingly frustratingly bad game. Multiple Enrico grade rulers one after another. Inflation out of control from too many loans and corruption through the roof for having so many islamic provinces. Shitloads of adm lost to inflation events and other bad rolls. My best "ruler" for the adm stat was a regency council that had 5 and was in power for 10 years. Every other ruler had 0 or 1. I've finally stabilized the country and am getting poo poo on track but this super Alliance is going to end the game. No other powers will align with me. I just finally managed to break up the Mamluk-Tunis-Hejaz-Tabaristan super Alliance in a recent war so I have a viable path for expansion once again. I've essentially stagnated for about 75 years.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

Are they all allied to one another? The typical method is just to attack one who's only allied to one of the others to start breaking allies away from your real target. Or attack some minor ally of Trebizond who is only allied to Trebizond, etc.

All to eachother. I've never seen this level of fuckery before.

RabidWeasel posted:

Don't give up hope, you have over 100 years to expand south and east and hopefully get up to date on tech and have that uber alliance block break up, before you actually need to go and beat them up.

Getting ratfucked on admin for a whole game is extremely rough though especially as Byz.

I just tried to 1v1 Mamluks and got lit the gently caress up. I've been Western since the late 1400s as I was getting ratfucked so hard so that the Mamluks also Westernized.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain why I took 300 Aggressive Expansion from taking these 4 provinces? It just loving destroyed my second attempt at the Basileus achievement. I didn't bother looking at the annex screen because there isn't really much around me and I hadn't done much warring in a 20 year space.

I had a claim on Kutahya which I used to start the war while Mamluks were demolishing the Ottomans for Trebizond. The last war I had was a defensive one against Ottomans that I won 11 years prior using rebels (Westernizing, Bankrupt and Peasants War all at once :suicide:) and I claimed one province off of them. Getting 70 AE per loving province makes the HRE hits look reasonable.

Edit: The AE hit was with Sunni nations. The Shia took 34 and the next took 20ish.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 18, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

300 AE with whom? With the Ottomans? The Mamluks? Hungary?

Mamluks, Tunis, Crimea, Persia and the gulf states. They instantly formed a coalition. Basically everyone of the Sunni religion near Byz.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

300? Do you mean all the AE added up to 300? You could eat all of France in one go and with a single person it'd probably barely give you 300 AE if that.

I expect you had fairly high AE with the Muslim teams already from previous wars, and taking those provinces pushed it over the edge. Maybe if the Ottomans had been sitting on those provinces for a while, they developed them a bunch too so they were worth more AE each.

The current AE is at 300 with Mamluks which is the closest Sunni nation. Qara Qoyunlu which is the next immediate neighbor has 30. Persia which is further beyond has 200 AE. The Balkan neighbors are like 13 AE. Something to do with a full annex on a Sunni nation spiked the AE to ridiculous levels. I had snatched one province up in about 30 years since I was Westernizing, Bankrupt and suffering from a Peasant War.

CharlestheHammer posted:

How did you lose Athens?

Lost a war which made me release them. Crimea came in and vassalized them. Venice snatched it when Poland/Lith was stomping Crimea. Typical early game Byz bullshit.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 18, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Elotana posted:

In that screenshot your diplomats are idle. Always have them be improving relations with near neighbors, even if they're enemies who are next on your hit list. That helps a bunch to tamp down coalitions in both frequency and size.

Normally I do, I had just recalled them from boosting in Italy when I got the Coalition notices and near instant war declaration. As it stands right now I'm pretty sure I've lost all momentum and about to enter a death spiral. Suggested terms for the coalition is releasing Ottomans with every province in Asia Minor and Anatolia. :suicide: I'll just restart than deal with grinding through a full strength Ottoman again.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 18, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:( My save got corrupted and lost 12 hours of play. Fortunately I managed to get the Basileus achievement. I'm kinda mad because I had just recieved a PU over Sweden who owned all of the Baltics and Scandinavia and a PU shortly before that over Ethopia who was in control of all of the Arabian peninsula. The last 100 years of the game were going to be quite interesting. :argh:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

what about the backup?

That is 12 hours old. The save is 0kb. The game was running like poo poo before I ended for the night. I'm content to just get the achievement.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, theoretically, as the Roman Empire you could also be elected to be the Holy Roman Emperor?

Usually people go Holy Roman Empire -> Arabian -> Roman Empire. It just can't be a direct Holy Roman -> Roman tag switch.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I don't think I really understand the institutions. It spawns somewhere and eventually you will get to embrace it. Clear enough. How do the old tech groups work? If you're in the Muslim or Chinese or Eastern Tech groups you're just permanently hosed with units that have poo poo pips?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That map actually reminds me of old maps I used to see from books made in the 1800s and very early 1900s. The khaki colored water and the white font for the nation names ruins the look.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In the patchnotes it says that the "- AI no longer cheats with fort maintenance." is this referring to the free coastal forts? Ottomans were loving insane to deal with because of this.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jamsque posted:

Can anyone offer any pointers on the "repeatable" Byzantium strategies mentioned on the last page? I have had some luck getting in with Albania and Hungary against Otto, I can see how that could lead to good things, but Venice always jumps on me or Albania at some point (often before I'm even fighting the Ottomans at all) and I have never been able to hold off the attack from both sides, let alone win provinces in a peace deal.

The new strat is to no-CB Candar and annex them. During the war with Candar improve relations with Mamluks, and your soon to be Allies Poland, Hungary or Austria. But DO NOT ALLY THEM YET. Peg the opinion. After the war ends start insulting all of the Turkish minors who will enter into a coalition against you. Since Ottomans have warned them all they'll suicide themselves on the Ottomans while you hang back. Once the armies are trashed you siege the coasts and annex them in the defensive war. After this you ally with Hungary and others and wardec on Ottomans for your cores. If you don't improve opinion with Mamluks during the initial war they'll also join the coalition.

There are varying opinions on whether you want to have Mamluks join that defensive war. If Mamluks join the Ottomans will be smote by a loving zerg of people and probably lose some provinces or have them released. If you improve you have the chance of annexing more land from the Turkish minors. It's a tossup for sure. Both options have their benefits and detractions, the goal of it all is to strip the Ottomans of manpower for when you go for the cores.

If you do this entire thing properly you could have all of the Cores, Balkans, and the Anatolian minors annexed by 1460.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 13, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been getting sporadic errors about the Ironman save being unable to write. Anyone know how to fix this? I've looked and it appears the savegame folder is Read-only. Is this intentional? I just lost a pretty decent (albeit 90% done) campaign as Papal States. The last bit from 1760 onward was filled with nonstop errors on the autosaves so I just deleted the file assuming it was incapable of writing over it for some reason. Got a CTD and found it wasn't capable of writing to the folder at all despite doing so for the past 12 hours.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the recommended way to do a Milan or Florence into Italy run in the early game? Just sit around doing gently caress all until Shadow Kingdom then go apeshit? Dealing with the Emperor as a threat for any and all options of expansion is a pain and the Papal States tends to buddy up with France pretty quickly.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tahirovic posted:

How are you supposed to deal with Ming now? They make everything around them a tributary and then you're hosed as Japan because you can't really take on Ming early.

Far as I can tell the moment a Daiymo becomes independent the entire thing becomes impossible. I have half the island as Uesagi and the other half hopped into the Ming tributary system. I don't really see a way around squashing this last Daiymo because Ming gets called in with a navy that is 80+ strong, 20 of which are Heavy ships alone. Their Army is around 100 units and that adds in with the 20 units from the last Daiymo.

There needs to be an almost insurmountable malus to joining the tributary if you're outside of the Ming cultural group.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is going on? Why is my Colonial Nation getting dogpiled by natives and I'm not getting called into the war? They're losing land faster than I can colonize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just played a bit of M&T on a lark. This mod is uh, not good. It has a good concept with the pops but it's being drug down with extreme amounts of bullshit. The game is like wading against a thigh deep stream. Most of the mechanics just don't loving make sense or are too grognard. They're trying to circumvent DLC a bit with their version of forts as well which I think is probably breaking the ToS. If Divine Wind made EU3 into E3.5 then M&T makes EUIV into EU3.7. The mechanics designed to slow you down don't actually work compared to the vanilla ones and the ones supplied can be ignored indefinitely with no penalty.

• Locked thread