Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Started a game as burgundy and it's going quite well. The four vassals really help since you in taking France down, and if you're lucky you can attack while they fight Provence. I can't really figure out the development changes though; is it better to specialize your provinces or try to keep them all fairly developed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Am I the only one who has a text bug in fort map mode? It says something like "ff_influenced by " instead of showing which provinces that are linked to which fort.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jolan posted:

According to some fancy math on the forums, it's closer to an 80% increase. And diplo-annexing is absolutely ridiculous. Currently integrating Brittany, still just its original four provinces, for 560 diplo points. Christ.

I had that last night, but not today. Maybe BetterUI fixes it? You'll need to manually install it, though, the workshop version is borked (something's eating lines of code in workshop mods since the patch).

I think I'll have to get the mod to see if it works because it's getting really annoying. It just looks like this in fort map mode

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

There's no "Jump into ally's war" button/option right? I feel kind of bad whenever one of my allies goes to war while I'm at war with someone else, only for me to finish and then just kind of awkwardly watch as they struggle into an eventual white peace.

You can enforce peace but you need +100 relations and the country can't be winning.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
:stonklol:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Riso posted:

There ought to be an achievement for playing 1001 hours.

Well that would be nice, but what I really want is a personal card from Paradox commending me on my nerdiness.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I know that some dislike the removal of unique buildings and from a pure quality of life perspective I agree. But I do feel that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective since it made several idea groups really superfluous and it is silly that you always got at least +1 diplomat and +2 leaders regardless of country. Now there's actually some choice involved.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Why is it that it's always the runs where I plan to just knock off some achievements that turn into my luckiest ones... Started a game as Castille so I could do the colonial and trade achievements and to gain some security from France I bind my dynasty to Aragon and get the PUs over them and Naples. Then I accidentally gain an PU over Austria, and 100 years later one over Lithuania who has broken free from Poland and conquered quite some large swathes of Russia. So in the middle 17th century I am the largest land power on earth, the only colonizer in Africa and Asia, since I hurried my way there in order to do Trade Hegemon, and have two of the most powerful nations in PUs. Plus 12 merchants and 4 colonists. I didn't play on doing the Spain as emperor achievement since it felt too annoying but now I think that if I just manage to get three electors as vassals I should be fine.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yashichi posted:

Castile is weaker because they lowered the development of Iberia relative to France. They don't have as much money or manpower anymore so they can't check a strong France as easily.

I've seen Burgundy do well as an AI but I tried to play them and it's terrible. The unions and vassals are tiny and very weak and you only have one free relation slot. You can't even integrate any of them because the union date is 1444 for some reason so you have 50 years of -3 relation slots, and they're on the HRE side of you so you can't feed France to them.

I felt that burgundy was quite strong early on, especially because you can draw more on your vassals' manpower now. Once you wreck France in the first war you're set for the rest of the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

b0lt posted:

Why do my borders always end up being so awful? :saddowns:

edit: Also, my heir is Karl, from Kongo :psyduck:

The snake border is always good to see. I tried doing the guarantee France, Ottomans and Russia achievement as Ming, but the Ottomans were too large to be guaranteed so first I had to dismantle them. So what to do but to snake one's way there...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

What's that "2" for there, newbie? :colbert:

Out of the way, youngster. Going back to Svea Rike :corsair:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

Just posted the DD about the EU4 design process.

quote:

Originally, Johan was the sole designer on EU4, taking design input from team members but ultimately making the design decisions himself. Those of you who have been paying attention during the last year may have noticed both that EU4 has gotten more popular, and that the design process has changed somewhat since the start of Res Publica, being more of a divided responsibility between Johan and Martin (Wiz).
:boom:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've never played The Mamluks so I thought I give it a go and hopefully do the Arabian Coffee achievement, and I have to say that it's one of the more fun countries I've played lately. Good economy, large army and really intense starting position as you pretty much have to hurry all you can to take down the Ottomans before they get going. It's around 1500 and I've managed to kick them completely out of modern-day Turkey so now they're a small state in the Balkans. I would leave them alone from now on and hope that either Hungary or Venice take them out, but I am not sure I can trust them to actually get it done and I sure as hell don't want them trying to reclaim their cores.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're overachieving, but that's fine.

Arabian Coffee as Mamluks is really easy, just smash your way to forming Arabia (only risky part is, of course, the provinces near the Ottoman border), smash your way to 50%+1 coffee production, and don't care about the long-term.

It's no fun to do things that aren't meant to last. And my nation name looks like a half-moon. :toot:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The annoying thing with mercenaries is that the units don't auto update when you switch to a higher tier, so if you are inattentive you may end up fighting with really obsolete units. All I ask for, Paradox, is a button similar to the one you implemented for ships...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do oyu do as Emperor? I started my brandenburg game by getting elected, thinking it would be a sneaky way to get the netherlands but all it was was an invitation to a thunderdome and my conquest of Prussia has fallen by the wayside. What do I ignore and what do I join. I kind of want to protect the electors I have allied, but all they wanna do is get killed all the time.

It is tough to be emperor, especially if you are a small country and haven't have passed the landfriede reform. Best way is just to try to enforce the status quo, stop opm:s from becoming protestant and, if at all possible, grab some of the lands held by non-HRE countries. It's been a long time since I played as emperor from the get-go and I think I did it as Austria, which has the best starting conditions to at least try and keep up with all the mini-wars, and I was exhausted answering calls and being in non-stop combat for at least 80 years or so.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

Can someone who's gotten it confirm that you don't need to actually be the leader of the Protestant League to get the Lion of the North achievement? Think I'm going to get the two Sweden achievements for my next game.

You do not. I did it the other day as just a participant.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gitro posted:

So I was thinking of trying Luck of the Irish for my next game to force me to actually care about fleets and colonizing, and because gently caress the British. My plan is to annex the other minors early, suck up to the brits long enough to reach Newfoundland and run away across the Pacific. I'll need to only control one province to change my capital's continent, right?

First idea has to be exploration, obviously, is expansion likely to be a viable second pick? I don't imagine I'll be making a lot of money initially so I don't know if I'll be able to run 2 colonists by admin 10.

Is it still possible to snake down the NA coast and shut everyone else out with the provinces AoW added? The last time I did any American colonisation it was shortly after the game came out.

Probably go quantity third for forcelimits and the +1 colonists policy, don't imagine I'll have much else to spend Mil on.

I thought about trying LotI too but I had the idea to simply try to take Scotland first and then wait for the English civil war. Or is that too optimistic?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think my game got bugged. I am playing as Hungary, did the own the Hapsburg lands achievement and then I kicked the Ottomans out of the Balkans for fun. Got elected emperor by pure chance since the electors liked me and thought that I might as well kick off the league wars since it looked like the catholic league would win quite easily. So I declared league war against Bohemia and well...

This is how the HRE looks

I don't get why no one joined in. This game is pretty much hosed, thank god I finished the achievement in time.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

MorphineMike posted:

Did you make sure to select the League War CB? iirc, any war you declare against the enemy leader calls in their league, but only the League War CB calls in yours.

Okay, it was me that was retarded. Even though I really looked carefully so I didn't use the wrong cb, I stupidly enough used the enforce religion cb. But I am beginning to wonder if there is something weird going on anyway, as now when the truce is over I still cannot attack the protestant league leader as I have no league cb available. I am thinking that it might be because my capital isn't in the HRE and thus I am not really a member of it?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Apropos achievements, since someone wrote earlier that they saw no need for them. For me at least they offer some fun goals to aim for, especially when I am out of good ideas of my own. Often I start out doing the achievement and then stuff comes up that seems fun to do and off we go. E.g., my Take that, Habsburgs game turned into taking the role of defending the HRE's borders and punishing anyone who reformed.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I formed Persia with them recently and found it not too hard (took 2 restarts though). I started out by building up to my force limit just to be somewhat more imposing. Then I started improving relations with everyone around me, QQ and the timurids in particular. Thankfully the latter got the riches in India mission and focused elsewhere, even though they hated me. After a while I saw that I could ally the country to the north with the weird name (Gaz-something something) and that they also disliked Shirvan. So I fabricated a claim, declared war and after like 6 years I somehow could get military access from QQ so I vassalized them. After that QQ loved me for some reason and we could actually ally. Then I just waited until the timurids started to have large rebellions and were low on manpower. Once it seemed like the right time I just pounced and quickly sieged the needed provinces. A caveat is however that you have to keep an eye on Persian separatists. One of my botched attempts started real well and me and Uzbek has almost 3/4 of the timurids occupied. I got greedy and wanted to siege one last fort and boom, the separatists enforced demands and formed Persia, taking all of my sieged country. During the successful attempt they actually also formed Persia before I could but this time I already had so many of the needed provinces cored that I instantly declared war without cb and gobbled them up. But they are sneaky bastards, those Persian rebels.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Perfectly historical.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You missed a chance to found Gotlanama.
Hmm, I sense a possible reason to take over the new world. Only too bad that I already have enough difficulties holding on to my 13 provinces Gotlander Colombia. They really get rebellious easily when your nation consists of 8 small islands scattered all over the world.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-27th-of-august-2015.878887/

quote:

So what have we done lately? Well, plenty of stuff that will go into 1.14 and the next expansion. Lots of stuff we are not ready to talk about yet, but this week we'll give you information about some new systems.

The first one is the new areas system, which will be a part of the patch.

Areas are a new type of region, usually consisting of between 3-6 provinces, and with no province being in more than one area. A new areas mapmode will show you which provincs are in what areas. This will be used for various mechanics we will explain more next week.

And then we have a feature which will be part of the as of yet unnanounced expansion.. The Victory Cards system. This is a feature that is primarily designed for multiplayer games, as it is introduced to reduce hugboxes and permanent allianceblocks.

At the end of a campaign, the top countries end up with 15-20K in score, so our goal was to create a system that could provide 30-50% more score for those that are willing to go for it.

And thus, we introduce the Victory Cards.

Starting in 1450, and every 100 years after you will be able to get a Victory Card if you have at least 300 development. Of course if you don't qualify for 1 at a given date, you will get 1 as soon as you qualify for it.

A victory card grows in score value every month if you own, control & core every province in its area, and it takes 20 years to grow to its maximum, and 20 years to drop to zero from its maximum.

The area selected is slightly randomised, but average development matter & it must be adjacent or within 1 seazone of any part of your nation or its subjects. Only provinces belonging to potential or current rivals are take into consideration, and you are far more likely to get ones on nations ahead of you in score or belonging to other players.

The first card is worth 1000, second 2000, third 3000 and the final 4000 points.

Here I've loaded up a savegame from 1.13 in our office MP campaign, and in the first 2 months I've gotten 2 victory cards to basically fight my game-long-hugbox-friend France.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to do the No trail of tears-achievement so I haven't been able to see what's going on in Europe, until after I westernized. But, we all know how it usually plays out so I am guessing there'll be no huge surprises...

:stare:

Star fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 20, 2015

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Those Lithuanian borders :negative:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hurrah, I finally pulled of This is Persia!.

I did it the somewhat gamey (although not entirely simple) way of forming Persia as the Timurids, which involved a couple of really shaky decades where I was trying to not be eaten by rebels while reforming my government and stopping the Ottomans from getting to Egypt so they didn't become too powerful. But once I reformed, formed Persia and started eating the Levant and Mesopotamia they weren't that tough, especially since the Commonwealth helped me out. After that it was smooth sailing until I only needed Corfu, which unfortunately Spain had snatched since the Ottomans were too weak to resist them at this point. And they were allied to France and the Commonwealth so I figured that I would have to start one helluva fight for that tiny province. But in my genius I saw that I could attack the Commonwealth and draw Spain in the war while also keeping France out since they saw the Commonwealth as rivals. Thus I started to build a crazy strong navy so I could keep Spain off me for some months until I managed to get to Corfu. I think I lost around 200 ships all in all but I succeeded in peacing out with Corfu. Really really fun achievement, I really recommend it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
My games are really turning out in ways I've never seen before. This have to be the most expansive reformation yet for me. Even France and Austria turned.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

And yet England, Sweden, and Norway are still Catholic. Usually they're the first to go.

England doesn't exist anymore except as a small island in the Indian sea. It's all me, glorious catholic Ireland. Felt weird to turn Protestant even though I like the bonuses since Ireland seems geared toward Catholicism.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hope that the estates and their dynamics change over time and government form, since that could add some depth to the late period of eu4 and make the revolutionary period more fun.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hope you Paradox people redo the Espionage ideas while you're at it. Perhaps remake some of them to be more powerful during wars (increase war exhaustion for enemy? more expensive mercs?) and try to synergize them with the estates function (bribe estates?). As it is right now, it's pretty much just useful in mp.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tahirovic posted:

It was still one of the most fun games I've had. I guess it's the most difficult achievement for people in this thread because it's impossible to do while maintaining pretty borders.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was to fun try and balance your AE in the HRE until you became large enough to just not give a drat. But the first century or so was kind of rough, especially since Austria allied all the minor Italian powers meaning I had to expand northwards until I could take them on.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tendronai posted:

It's from the stream Jake and Wiz just did, studying tech comes from espionage 5 and the liberty desire is 6.

Have only those two been added or are there more additions? I've been hoping for a useful espionage tree for quite some timenow and while tech spying and independence inciting sounds nice I'd really like them to redo the whole thing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Koramei posted:

I disagree. It's not gonna turn it into a game winning idea group, but Espionage already had some fairly cool things and this definitely seems like Good Enough to me. Being able to flip a vassal of your choosing to (presumably) disloyal on a whim and effectively nullify them in any war sounds incredibly useful on its own, and then there are free monarch points and another diplomat?

The issue I think is that getting caught with espionage actions is still all based around spy offence/ defense, which is way too random and hard to manipulate to build proper strategies around. The ideas themselves sound alright now.

I just don't see the point in several of the ideas, even if two of them are remade into something decent. Embargo/privateer efficiency, national spy defense, extra diplomat and spy offense along with less covert action relation impact aren't that great. The extra diplomat is nice but you already get one as part of the government form bonus and it's still a couple of ideas into the group, and the embargo/privateering bonus is negligible in the long run. I'd much rather see them replaced with stuff that is useful in wars, such as increase opponents war exhaustion or something similar.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any recommendations for the Re-reconquista? I've done like 10-15 restarts without really getting to a secure position. Tried to stay and attack Spain while they're fighting France+Aragon but they are often allied to Portugal and together they can beat me quite easily despite fighting France. I've also tried to escape to North Africa by attacking Tlemcen in order to be able to colonize and move to N but I never get far enough since both Portugal and Spain attack my African holdings, plus most of the provinces are dirt poor.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Baudin posted:

That achievement is extremely hard. Are you able to ally the Ottomans?

Too far away and too weak, at least in the beginning. I think I can once I manage to actually eat up some of the other North African powers but I haven't survived that far yet.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The problem is that I never succeed in allying the ottomans. They never want to ally since I am too far away and too weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

double nine posted:

I once tried a granada play and I got declared by Genoa in the first 3 months or so of the game. My allies Algiers and Tunis were more than able to deal with them and by grabbing Corsica I was able to ally the Ottomans. That's a 1 in a million chance though... I've never managed to pull it off.

It seems like something like that have to happen in order to make it. I actually manage to evacuate the European continent and migrate to the Caribbean but Spain and GB followed me soon after and I have really no chance to fight back since I only have around 8 provinces and the moment they colonize next to me they turn hostile. It was a good try but it's time to restart, again...

• Locked thread