Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Last Emperor posted:

It's important to note that EUIV is not turnbased

You made a pretty big mistake in your OP :rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Apoffys posted:

The only idea I have that modifies tech cost is the one in Administrative that gives -10% to admin tech. I have Administrative, Trade, Defensive and Humanist ideas, and I'm playing as the Ottomans. So why do I get a 14% discount to diplomatic and military tech, and 26% for admin tech due to "ideas"? It should be 10% for admin and 0% for diplo/military, right?

Each idea will grant a -2% discount to technologies of its monarch power type. The -10% for admin shows up as "Civil Service" since that's the name of the idea and comes in addition to the -14% you get from the complete idea group.

vvvv:smug:vvvv

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Regarding Revolutions:
I'm trying to spark one in my Ottoman game right now. Starting the disaster is easy enough, but the first rebels spawned besides a 50k rebel hunting army and was instantly wiped. I got an event a couple of months later that would have spawned three stacks on different isolated Indonesian isles, so I chose the non-rebel option. Years later and I haven't gotten a single revolutionary rebel uprising. Will there be more event-spawned revolutionaries? According to the wiki the revolution will be successful if my capital is occupied by rebels, but does it have to be revolutionary rebels? If not I'm just gonna move my capital next to the next rebel stack that pops up and mothball the fort...

Edit: Ottoman republics own, btw. In the mid 1600s the current Padisha's heir lawyered his father into stepping down and turned the Empire into bureaucratic despotism. Switching to a regular republic with elections meant I could keep the Janissary bonus the rest of the game with no problems, until I got too greedy and collapsed into an absolute monarchy, but happily for me that was just in time for the revolution.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 8, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Back To 99 posted:

Hmm, to prevent the Janissary decadence disaster you need 5 in a skill, but Republican leaders start with just 4. Did you easily manage to prevent the disaster in time for a reelection every time, or am I missing something else?

Yeah, the only thing you have to worry about increasing the progress of the disaster is the +1 per month for <70 army tradition. That means you only get 48% progress before the first reelection if you've got a 4 year election cycle, and progress is reset every time you get a leader with 5 or more in a skill.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Bort Bortles posted:

:monocle: Was that an event or did you pull something fancy? I am well on my way to conquering Vienna and Westernizing right after I conquer and vassalize a bunch of India and I am curious what a government switch like that would do. Though it would make getting high/low Piety hard. Also does this mean you are paying the Janissaries off every 4 years?!?

It's a random event with a MTTH of only 833 years :v:
Paying off the Janissaries and piety changes only happens on a new ruler, so you should re-elect as much as you can I guess.

Edit: The wiki was wrong, it's 417 years, not 833.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Guildencrantz posted:

Are you not getting natural rebels from province unrest? The Revolution increases it by like 10, so in that case you definitely have some unrest-lowering stuff. Get rid of it, tank your stability etc. and they should spawn naturally and march on your capital. Turn off rebel hunting on your armies and simply follow the revolutionaries recapturing provinces from them.

(And yeah, it has to be revolutionary rebels IIRC)

Yeah, I've got a bunch of different rebel factions forming, but no revolutionaries. Besides the ~100 different patriots and nationalists there's Ottoman peasants and particularists. I fired my theologican, would increasing general revolt risk further help any if they're not already active? Maybe my problem is I've filled out the plutocracy idea track? I've heard that removes revolutionary rebels.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I've given up on the revolution. What a multicultural empire really needs is an enlightened despot :getin:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there some way to stop CoR from convertign my provinces? I'm the freaking Papal States and I got 2 provinces on the other side of Europe converting my poo poo and noone else is experiencing it. Cremona and Mantua just got flipped by Antwerpen and Thuringen.

I'm in the exact same situation. Every religious center is working on my provinces, constantly flipping one of them. I've converted Milan back to Catholicism twice now and I even lost the effects of the counter-reformation a couple of years ago, but the heretics obviously didn't get the memo. :dawkins101:
Great Britain, France, Spain, Austria, Poland and Lithuania on the other hand have been completely untouched by the reformation. Supposedly they will stop working around 1650, but I don't understand why my provinces are so much more popular amongst the reformers compared to the much closer provinces of Austria/France/Poland.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Another Person posted:

The worst mistake I make all the time which would screw me in ironman is peacedeals. I have a horrible tendency to accidentally peace out the war leader for war reps instead of their ally because I clicked out of a peace window, checked whether I could get more from them, then went back to a peace window, but clicked the main one instead.

That's what you have Alt+F4 for :ssh:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zettace posted:

I thought transfer trade power is permanent until you or they cancel it and until it's cancelled you can't attack them either. You can even request it while at peace if your powerful enough.

It's only "permanent" if it was arranged diplomatically.

On that note, is there something screwed up with the calculations for accepting trade power transfer. Austria keeps bugging me about it, and I feel like there's some misunderstandings about our relationship. My army is twice as big as theirs and my force-limit almost four times.
If I hired a dip-rep advisor I could get them to transfer 15% trade to me.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pellisworth posted:

Trade is probably better than Maritime unless you're Westernizing and grabbing a couple trade companies for bonus merchants.

That said, it's almost never worthwhile to pick idea groups based on policies, imo.

Edit: also, I think you're being optimistic about the value of that particular policy. At a 20% Idea discount, you're paying 320 per individual Idea, a savings of 40 relative to without the policy active. So to break even on point cost, you need to buy an Idea every 40 months which equates to a monthly MP income of 8 points, very doable. However, you're not going to buy an entire idea line within 10 years and save 160 points as you describe, that would require 320 points * 7 ideas / 120 months = 18.7 MP income per month. So basically it wouldn't be hard to break even with the policy, but you'd have to have a scenario where you're filling in two idea lines with ~9-10 MP/month each to achieve that best-case 160 MP saved in 10 years.

You've already saved up enough for 2-3 ideas, though, so it's actually 13.3 or 10.7 MP income per month. Which is actually very doable even if you're only filling in a single idea track. If everything else is optimal you only need a ruler with 2 in the relevant stat. Base 3 + focus 2 + advisor 3 + power projection 1 = 9.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

RabidWeasel posted:

E: Something I've been wondering about for a while, how does increased coring cost interact with diplo annexing?

A vassal I was annexing last night as Vijayanagar, which already had +50% from traditions, took aristocratic ideas and the cost jumped from ~800 to ~1100 dropping my progress from 60% to 40% and unsynching itself from my other vassal annexation. :negative:
Diplomatic expansion in India can be really rough.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

RabidWeasel posted:

I should have been clearer; I know that increased cost traditions apply if they are the traditions of the country in question, what I was wondering is if you feed all of let's say the Rajputana region to a nice vassal that doesn't have +50% coring cost will it still have extra cost because the provinces still have the +50% modifier or does diplo annex cost apply on a 'per state' basis rather than a per province one?
:
Yeah I completely misread your question and quickly edited out into something slightly relevant. I'm pretty sure it's on a per province basis. Provinces with cores of nations with those ideas or traditions will cost more to core or annex no matter who owns it. At least that's what I've been assuming...

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I've got a Florence game going on where the Iberian wedding event annoyingly fired while Aragon still controlled Naples. Just a few years later things got even worse, though:

They had already eaten Morocco before the unions. I kinda want them them to hold on till they integrate, though. Would be a good final boss. :stare:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

PleasingFungus posted:

that event is stupid, but if you are paying 150+ admin for +1 stab there is something funny going on.

Each seat in the parliament is +2% stab cost, so that quickly adds up, especially with low republican tradition. I remember having to pay just under 300 admin to go from 0 to 1 stability in my last Ottoman republic game.

Edit: Found a screenshot. It was actually 363 admin :negative:

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 11, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
As England I just forced France into union with me. :sotw:

A couple of months later my king died, breaking the union. :negative:

At least I got the restoration of union CB on them when he died which lasts for 10 years.
Four years shorter than the truce :downs:

One year shorter than the regency I'm in :suicide:

Kinda ruined the entire gimmick of this game.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is there any reason why I'd prefer to have a colonial nation, rather than just owning the land directly? I'm still thinking about where I'd like to toss my little caribbean merchant republic. Trinidad is a North American island with a strait to South America, which would allow me to settle both continents without having to deal with colonial nations, but am I coming out ahead by avoiding them? Would it be better in some way to instead double down on colonial nations, even if I'm a new world power? Do you colonize faster if you've got CN's chipping in or something? I haven't played much EU4 at all, so there might be some obvious tradeoffs that I'm missing.

Edit: If doubling down has some perks, I might just make the Caribbean its own continent, which I guess would allow me to integrate some coastlines on both continents while spinning off the stuff further inland

If someone blocks that strait, will that result in a bunch of colonial nations instantly popping up out of your former colonies? That would be really funny if you'd colonized all of South America before it happened.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm stuck on what to name Canada playing as Inca. Incan Ada or Inkanada are my two top choices, atm.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Speaking of AI, I wonder if I just encountered a bug in my last game. A huge PLC fell into a union with Sweden as the senior partner and Austria decided to challenge it. Austria was completely defeated and Sweden decided to force an union between PLC and Sweden as their peace terms, which resulted in massive 50+ AE with every single European nation. I've never had a union happen to me, but did Sweden really have to force the union in the peace treaty when they already had the PLC in union under their king?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

genericnick posted:

I'm sure someone asked that already but what does this mean:

Only that you aren't allowed to play as a released nation or also that you aren't allowed to form another nation like the HRE for example?

It means you aren't allowed to play as a released nation, but you can still form another nation as long as the part inside "happened { }" doesn't have any parts that require your original tag.

Edit:

MrBling posted:

It means that you have be that nation from the start of the game. If you take a decision that changes you to a different country then you will be locked out from achievements with that particular requirement.
This is wrong. Check the achievement for "Industrial Evolution" for example:

"possible = {
NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
normal_or_historical_nations = yes
normal_province_values = yes
ironman = yes
start_date = 1444.11.11

}

happened = {
has_switched_nation = no
tag = GBR
[..]}"

Requires the earliest start date, the Great Britain tag and has_switched_nation = no. Since GBR doesn't exist at that date it would make the achievement impossible if you couldn't form another nation.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 30, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

VDay posted:

So it looks like westernizing and moving your capital to Europe doesn't work to get the Trade Hegemon achievement :(

Did that with Ethiopia after getting Prester John like I talked about earlier and waited a year and a half just to be safe and it still hasn't popped. RIP Ethiopia game, back to the Netherlands game to spend a hundred years drilling into Africa/India.

Yeah, you need to be western and European at the start of the game to get that, since they're inside the "possible" brackets.

code:
achievement_trade_hegemon = {
	id = 53

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		capital_scope = {
			continent = europe
		}
		technology_group = western
	}

happened = {
		owns_core_province = 388 # Aden
		owns_core_province = 2999 # Hormoz
		owns_core_province = 596 # Malacca
	}
}

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Node posted:

Anybody that has done this achievement able to comment on this?

Is it even possible to escape to India since the change where you can't demand provinces you can't core?

Maybe if you vassalize a neighbouring nation? India is still rich as gently caress and with your technological advantage conquering it should be doable in a reasonable time, so if you can pull it off it's a solid plan. That's how I did it many patches ago.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Larry Parrish posted:

You always had to steal a province or two in Africa first.

Why is that? I'm pretty sure I didn't do that in my run.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

TorakFade posted:

Yes that is why I wanted to go with Naples. I did. I wanted to rival the other colonial powers, because I thought colonial range would be expanded by fleet access rights but nooo, my range doesn't allow me to colonize anything, not even on the western African coast and I wasted my first 3 ideas in Exploration.

I am getting kinda frustrated, I know Paradox games are full of pitfalls like those, but come on ... I was expecting that almost any mediterranean power would be in range of SOMETHING to colonize

Protip: You can take two provinces from the Mamluks and start exploiting the Far East decades earlier than the rest of Europe.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Edit: ^^:argh:^^

Japan has a +10% discipline tradition, so if they converted to either Hindu or Protestant...

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
When I formed Mughals in the 1.13 beta I didn't get Mughal ideas, so unless they've fixed that a game with the Mughals-forming goal might be a bit anticlimactic.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pellisworth posted:

I just looked at the decision text file and it swaps your idea set. Should work in current live version.

It should have swapped my ideas in the beta too, according to the txt file. Other people on the paradox forums had the same problem, but not every time, so it's some obscure bug without a clear cause.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drakhoran posted:

According to the Bug Report forum, the cause is having a majority of your idea groups being admin groups at the time you switch tags.

That checks out. My only idea set on that save is administrative. If only I hadn't saved after forming I could have just removed the idea track, I don't even have any ideas in it yet :negative:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Cynic Jester posted:

He doesn't actually shift to Byzantium until the 1550s, and there's a ton of Greek development available. Add that Constantinople remains greek when the Ottos don't grab it and I don't see how it'll slow you down at all compared to annexing. It'll let you spend your admin points on other things, including cutting down the time you spend saving Admin points for culture shifting and moving your capital. It will also keep you from rocking a completely poo poo religious unity for ~50 or so years.

Edit: To be clear about culture shifting, it just needs to be the largest culture in your country as far as I know. I'm not sure you can find a culture besides like Austrian that'll match all the greek provinces in terms of development.

Letting the Ottomans take Constantinople Istanbul will result in a big bonus to Istanbul's development, though, and this cool event I just got:

Edit: And this:

Did they add a bunch of new Venetian events recently? :stare:

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 15, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How do I do that?

http://imgur.com/a/HNNvv

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just accepted Orthodox rebel demands and I kept the statute in restraint of appeals :toot:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You can just switch away from the constitutional part of the republic as soon as the rebels have enforced their demand, though.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm doing a Commonwealth run right now, and I'm considering taking espionage just for the +20% cavalry combat ability policy.

+73% cavalry combat ability with quality.
:eyepop:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

vyelkin posted:

The absolute worst is when North African nations are successful and start expanding overseas and spreading their toxic cores to other places. In my Britain game atm Tunis has been very successful and taken Corsica/Sardinia, Malta, Sicily, and just took Rome :negative:. I even considered a no-CB war (too far away to fabricate a claim atm) to take Rome back before they get a core on it, because it's going to take like 500 ADM to core every time someone else takes it.

e: if anything Increased Core Cost imo should only apply to dominant culture/same culture group provinces. So taking North African provinces would be expensive, but really I don't see any reason why Tunis holding onto Rome for a few years should make it way more expensive for everyone else to conquer for the next 150 years, unless Tunis actually converts Roman culture as well.

I think nations lose cores on provinces not of their culture if they're forced to release nations or return cores.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pellisworth posted:

forming Scandinavia is not gonna do much for you, just stay in the HRE. If you get elected Emperor you can form Scandinavia and re-add yourself.

now grab Exploration and colonize, you're in a great position to do so

Forming Scandinavia is always bad, since all the cool events are based on tag. I don't know how bad that is as Denmark, but as Sweden you lose out on a bunch of great events and some really neat permanent modifiers.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Allyn posted:

Songhai starts getting really powerful events once they take Timbuktu. Something like -20% to both idea cost and tech cost for the rest of your ruler's life the biggest of them

I hate those "for the rest of your ruler's life" modifiers, I always get them close to my rulers death, and I've never managed to take advantage of any tech/idea cost discounts from those modifiers. It'd be better if they lasted 10 years or something.
Literally my most recent screenshot:

-10% tech/idea cost discount for the rest of my 69 year old rulers life... :flaccid:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the effect improved forts have on your yearly gain. I think the formula assumes all your forts are up to date, so when the second level of forts are available your yearly gain will be halved. Keeping +1 from forts has never been possible for me in the later game, but I can usually manage it until the second level opens up.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder if they bring back population in some form, and tie it to development. It doesn't have to be actual numbers, because who really cares, but it could be something like each province has a population growth bar which fills up at a rate determined by various factors, and when it's full it adds a random point of development. Something to make it feel more dynamic.

I hope they're working on something like that, it would be very helpful for Groogy when he's coding the EU4 -> V3 converter :angel:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drone posted:

So I just started a custom nation game in the new world for the achievements. My capital is in Quebec and I gave myself a bunch of land on the Labrador coast, too.

So why is most of my land apparently not counting as non-overseas? And why are my burghers pissed off that they don't have any land when they clearly do have land?

Burgher lands need to be 10 development or higher for them to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fister Roboto posted:

Has anyone else noticed nations breaking their alliances for no reason? I started out as Jianzhou, with Korchin as an ally. I went to war with Haixi without calling in my ally, and when I annexed them my alliance with Korchin just vanished into thin air. I didn't get a message that they broke the alliance, they don't have a peace treaty towards me, and I don't have a relations penalty against them for breaking the alliance. It's like I was never allied with them in the first place. Is this a bug?

Did you form Manchu?
Forming Manchu changes your religion, which cancels all your allies. That's what happened to me, but the worst is now I'm stuck with the boring Confucian religion instead of cool and awesome Tengri. :(

• Locked thread