Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Dunno if you just haven't updated it yet but I'd argue Common Sense is just as if not more important than Art of War these days with all the changes it made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm loving the meltdown the Paradox Forums are having about this right now. One guy is complaining that they added a diplo point cost to annex vassals.

Which they added something like 4 patches ago. This is glorious :allears:

edit: And then Wiz came in to the "For the Love of God, Lower the Coring Cost" thread and left a great reply that just got them angrier:

Wiz posted:

no

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Another Person posted:

So the first big dumb exploit with CS has been found.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-not-get-eaten-by-austria-as-ravensburg-wad.860854/

i love it

e; for anyone who can't tell what happened, the player as an OPM joined a coalition against Burgundy and declared the war, let themselves get sieged, and then in the peace deal gave ALL of Austria's land away

:allears: This is the best Day 1 Paradox DLC bug ever.

I'm guessing the "rebels taking land without forts in 1 month causing 10 years of nationalism" is an unintended consequence. Unless Wiz wanted to really buff up the rebels?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VDay posted:

Oh man I forgot how tiny the UI is in the vanilla game. Hurry up and update UI mod :ohdear:

I also forgot how much analysis paralysis this game generates. I was psyched to play Common Sense and the second I load up a Muscovy game I'm immediately terrified to do anything.

If you have a Paradox forums account you can download it from there. Apparently the Steam Workshop poo poo itself and every mod that updated today (all the UI ones) are messed up despite actually working on the developer's system. For now just do a manual install until it gets working again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So count me amongst those who are getting really bad slowdown with the new patch :smith: Speeds 3, 4 and 5 are all pretty much the same at this point. Before things worked absolutely fine. Someone on the forums was saying apparently some nations are constantly switching fort maintenance on and off and that might be doing it.

edit: I will say I love the new fort mechanic. I'm trying out a game as Poland since I've never played anyone in Eastern Europe and they have fun achievements and I'm really enjoying my first war against the Teutonic Order. A lot of clever maneuvering from both me and the AI which means the war isn't just smacking each other once and then running around. It feels like combat in the 1400s, if clicking stuff on a map could really feel like combat.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Dear god. Austria allied France :gonk: I have never seen this before and while I'd like to blame it on DLC bugs demons it doesn't seem to be the case.

Additionally, is it possible to get the PU with Lithuania if you don't do it in the first 3 years? I didn't realize I needed +1 stability so I feel like I screwed up...

Lprsti99 posted:

Wait, I'm gonna need a link to that, I love game forums rage.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/for-the-love-of-god-lower-the-coring-costs.860610/page-3#post-19439002

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spaseman posted:

What determines my armies ability to move through enemy provinces?

Forts. Although sometimes it can get a little weird if there's 2 forts next to each other. I think the tooltip tells you which fort's zone of control applies to each province.

I ended up restarting my Poland game because Austria was terrifying and had me completely boxed in. This time I managed to do the PU with Lithuania but drat there is not much breathing room. If you have a single negative stab event and didn't get a +2 admin advisor you'll never make it. If you have an event that forces you to spend diplo points it's the same too. Maybe they should give you a bit more time to set it up rather than just until 1458?

edit: I've also noticed the AI doing some really weird things with their stacks. I saw Lithuania leave an 8 stack in my territory despite the enemy being completely beaten and the two of us only needing to siege down the million forts the Teutonic Order has. You really cannot afford to let them survive beyond the first few years as Poland because their forts make them nearly unbeatable if they have enough allies to keep you away from a dedicated siege. The attrition alone will completely sap your manpower.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
After playing around a bit last night, I am starting to feel that Monarch Points are spread a bit thin right now. Between tech, ideas, province development and coring/vassal feeding there's a lot to spend points on. Maybe if the base gain was changed from 3 a month to 4 a month it'd alleviate a lot of these problems?

Also agree on the rebels situation, you have to predict where a rebellion is going to start and pray they don't spawn on top of any lands without forts. 10 years of nationalism after 2,000 rebels hold a province for 2 months seems way out of line.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mans posted:

So they decided that the best way to prevent the player from doing world conquests (kinda weird how the EU devs are so autistic about fighting every mechanic people use to do them since 99.9% of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about it) was by making basic game mechanics expensive as gently caress monarch-points wise, meaning the AI who already struggled super hard at keeping up tech wise will now an even bigger push-over (since not only will it expand at a slower pace but it will also level up at a slower rate).

Well I can see balancing to make the Ryukyu WC impossible since it's supposed to be impossible but even though I think Wiz usually has the right ideas I think he may have gone a bit overboard on this. Should be an easy tweak though, and again, the fort changes are amazing and make conquest actually fun/challenging.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

Now, I haven't played too much of the expansion yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like the increased coring and integration costs, especially compared to the fact that tech is still hella expensive, makes me want to avoid province development for the most part. Sure, buildings are fine and all, but the relative importance of technology, ideas, and keeping an area cored makes me feel like spending points on province development is too much of a waste, especially when compared to how much more I gain by straight up Empire building. Maybe I'm just stuck on the old EU4 mindset where everything you do either directly expands your realm, or helps to expand your realm indirectly, but I just don't feel like building up my provinces is that great compared to just conquering an entire nation.

Eh, if you have a trade node it's helpful to throw 50ish diplo points at it every few years. Diplo is still not really heavily used so building up trade is nice I suppose.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

Nah it's literally found one bug of modest seriousness = unplayable mess of bugs. Some posters are highly invested in being hysterical about our releases.

That bug being the "If nationalist rebels of your tag win their revolt in another country they take over your country" bug?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

No, that one is obviously serious. It's just that there are a few posters (you know who you are) who sit and wait after every release until someonbe posts a bug (any bug) and then proclaim the game an unplayable mess. It's more cute than anything.

So then what bug are they referring to? I can't really think of any others that are noticeable this round, unless you're referring to the guy who somehow got all of Austria released during a coalition war when they were allies?

Also, I know you said you're not gonna change the coring costs, but any thoughts on re-balancing MP gain to be 4/4/4 rather than 3/3/3? Seems like it'd make your MP pool a bit deeper and allow you to do more with them while still making it harder to expand like crazy and eat vassals the size of France for minimal cost.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wilekat posted:

What makes me sad about this patch is AI France. The big blue blob doesn't appear to stand much of a chance against the other AI powers around it any more :smith:

The AI in general seems a heck of a lot more opportunist than it did in 1.11 - if I'm small and get even a little weak in a war a rival dives on me pretty much immediately and the same seems to be true for the AI versus itself - the amount of back and forth warring in Europe is insane,

Austria's no longer super-strong either. With the forts making it hard for Austria to stack-wipe smaller powers it's a lot easier to beat it in a mostly-even war.

Seriously, the fort changes are fantastic, I can't emphasize that enough.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's actually different because increasing the base gain means you are slightly less dependent on ruler stats for your MP. Which I am all for.

It's also probably way easier to do than manually changing all the costs in the game. I'm guessing it's probably a one line change of code with much less testing required than changing the cost of everything.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tercio posted:

I've played 100 years as the Teutonic Order in two separate games now. The first I tried to grow wide, the second tall. Once you start methodically developing your provinces (especially if you do a few in one big jump) it will amaze you how much things change. I turned the TO into an uncrackable Baltic walnut.

What did you specifically do? I'd like to try a Poland game where I don't blob everywhere so I can try for the Poland tech achievement and I'm curious how strong you got. Could you go 1v1 against any of the traditional huge powers?

I also saw the high attrition rates, but I think that's probably WAD. It should end up killing a lot of your soldiers if you sit around a castle for a year.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

This was a really good post/development diary. I get the sense that most of the crazier posters over there have never worked in software development because you're right, there are always bugs, it's just a question of how easy they are to spot. Also, I have no idea how you guys got a hot fix ready only 3 days after release but that's awesome. Thanks!

Question though. You said you guys saw 20k active players on Tuesday night. Is that the most you've ever seen at once?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VDay posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the proper/optimal way to feed provinces to a vassal before diplo-annexing them is? Or what I should be looking out for to make that process go smoother? I'm familiar with the basics and giving them their old/taken cores is obvious, but I've watched a bunch of streams/videos of good players do it and they always seem to be checking some kind of mental (or actual) math when it comes to giving a vassal more land. I'm assuming they're making sure the vassal doesn't get overwhelmed and go down some kind of perpetual rebellion hellhole, but what are they actually checking?

Feed your vassal anything of that isn't an accepted culture or has high coring costs. You also want to avoid sending them over 100% overextension or they'll explode. You can't check vassal OE but their OE will match yours so if you're still new to vassal feeding check on the peace deal how much adding the land to your country would add, and then transfer occupation to your vassal once you're sure its <100.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I think the theme of Common Sense should be "Everything's crazy." If you want proof, just look at how my Poland game is going.

Highlights include:

-No Burgundian Inheritance

-No Iberian Wedding

-Castille getting it's poo poo wrecked by Aragon/France/Portugal

-Nassau (yes really) is the emperor :wtc:

-Brittany eating part of France :psyduck:

-

And finally...

Muscovy getting it's rear end kicked by Perm :vince:

I've never seen anything like this game. I mean, most of Muscovy being lovely is my doing as I've been feeding them to Lithuania for that sweet, sweet 0 diplo annexation by decision, but I didn't beat them bad enough that they should be regularly losing wars to Perm. After this screenshot they ended up having to release Novgorod and are just waiting to get annexed by Scandinavia or me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Another Person posted:

nope, gotta wait for their cores, also never give a vassal or PU partner over 100% overextension, especially not one as bad with rebs as Lithuania, they will explode

Having previously played whack-a-rebel in Lithuania yes this is bad. Also, you should wait to hit the button until you have all your ideas done as Poland's final national idea gives +3 tolerance to heretics and Lithuania is filled with Orthodox provinces. Religious civil war is almost guaranteed to fire.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tercio posted:

Hoo boy! That's way too many dumb babbys looking to be coddled.

Joking aside, I don't understand the negative response in the least.

The Paradox forums are filled with idiots and I'm guessing the people who fill out Steam reviews have a high overlap there.

Maybe they'll all change their avatars to the rebel flag again :rolleyes:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

While most players won't go thousands in debt to try and win a war that's already lost the AI is more than happy to. I'm honestly shocked I don't see the AI go bankrupt more often, the loan amounts I've seen are absurd.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zurai posted:

You can get full benefit from 6 in the mid game and I think even 8 in the very end of the game.

So how much should Poland or other countries that get Cav bonuses use?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Nice the OP doesn't have anything for newbies at all.

Nobody plays on any start dates other than 1444. For starters here's a list of descending difficulties of the starter nations to play:
Portugal - Super easy. Ally Castile and you can do whatever you want. Bully North Africa (and fail??) sure why not. Colonize. Trade in Asia.
Castile - Easy. Unite Iberia including Portugal. If you skipped playing Portugal then you can try out colonizing and trading for the first time. If you already played Portugal then you can also try getting involved with european politics and european continental warfare for the first time.
Ottoman - Not as easy but still easy. Unlike Castile you have multiple fronts. You also got enough troops and provinces to go whereever you want. Learn about Aggressive Expansion. Learn about dealing with wrong culture wrong religion provinces. Expanding to Africa and Asia is the easy path. Expanding to Europe is the hard path.
England - Normal. Unite the british isles. Deal with France wanting her cores back. Deal with the war of roses. The difficulty of England is mainly in the first 50~100ish years, after you stabilize the game becomes easy like Castile. You can colonize, trade, throw your face deep into european stuff, whatever you want.
France - Hard. England and Burgundy will fight you sooner than later. Maybe Austia even has you as a rival (in that case just restart). You have multiple fronts but unlike Ottoman some of your neighbors are very hostile towards you. If you haven't tried fighting the HRE before you going to learn about fighting them here.

If you want more of a challenge Poland is absolutely amazing this patch, but it's probably not for novices as they're going to run into either the HRE, Russia, Sweden or the Ottomans and if you don't manage them properly (i.e. neuter at least one) when they gang up on you it's game over.

I've got a game going and I'm absurdly huge and it's not even 1700 yet. I accomplished this by making best friends with Austria and Brandenburg, ditching Brandenburg for France and beating up Muscovy until Perm of all countries ate it. I'm working now on beating up Sweden/Ottomans when I'm not aggressively teching for the "Poland Can Into Space" achievement.

Just make sure if you do Poland you take Danzig as fast as humanly possible for the free westernization decision. The first 5-10 years can be hard but it's so rewarding. Having the ability to integrate Lithuania for free is amazing. If you play your cards right you can be the undisputed toughest country out there by mid-game, meaning it's pretty easy to have a successful game if you're completely new. Plus, as long as Austria stays Emperor you can probably avoid the HRE hating you by making friends early on.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 17, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

alcaras posted:

Any advice for those first 5 to 10 years?

Also when was the free westernization decision added? I don't remember seeing that. How does it work?

1. Set focus to Admin because you need +1 stability to get the PU with Lithuania and 100 diplo. The 100 diplo is easy but a negative stab event makes getting to +1 impossible
2. Once you have 100 diplo and +1 stab immediately hit the PU Lithuania button (note: this must be done before the event that gives you the Sejm or the PU will be impossible)
3. While this is going on take the mission to protect the Polish people in the Teutonic Order, or if you're lucky the mission that gives you claims on the Prussian parts. Alternatively, fabricate a claim.
4. As soon as you have the PU, declare war on TO and take as much as you can, but make sure you at least take Danzig.
5. With the TO placed in check you should have enough breathing room. Make sure you eliminate them ASAP though because they're very tough if you let them live.

gfanikf posted:

So is it better to say you points for tech advances as the main priority is it okay to blow them on stability increases, harsh treatment, inflation reduction, and now even more so development?

My problem is I always love playing a short game (family commitments and available time), so it kind of informs my play style as being super short term (and often super stupid). It's kind of hard to get myself out of that mentality. Also the fact that I don't think I'll ever figure out trade helps. Lol

Oh regarding MP considering how long a regular solo game takes...how do people even run a full game and how does the while pauseable real time work?

Only tech up once you've got a 5% or 10% discount unless it's either one of the Admin levels that gives an idea or a Mil level that gives a major boost to your army if you're about to be at war.

It usually takes a few weeks to get through a full game, I usually just play in little bits here and there. Playing on Ironman is really helpful because it can give an overall goal for the run so I'm not just aimlessly blobbing.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 17, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

You can get another mission to take Danzig and Western Focus requires Admin 10 anyway

You also need Danzig to have no separatism and it's better to take it early to help hurt the TO, but yes you're right.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So does anyone have any idea how to do "Albania or Iberia"? I was trying a bunch last night and while I could avoid the Ottomans/Venice wiping me by making friends with Austria and/or Hungary very fast I couldn't go anywhere from there due to the Ottomans warning me and neither country wanting to join a war against Serbia/Bosnia/Anyone else. I then tried lying in wait for Venice to attack and then allying whichever of Austria or Hungary rivaled Venice but that didn't work either as Venice would never declare war or Austria/Hungary wouldn't ally. I then tried a day one DOW on Serbia but they called in Bosnia and I was unable to get any allies.

So what's the strategy now?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

DDRjake has a good strat for that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhyvixrEle0

Oh thanks for this! I've put in around 300+ hours into this game and at this point I need to do ironman and work towards an achievement or I just end up breaking the game over my knee.

To that end, what are people's favorite ironman achievement runs to do? I really enjoyed my Basileus run as well as turning Poland into a technological superpower. Never tried a world conquest as it seems very grindy and daunting though. Be curious what everyone else thought were fun, challenging runs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

DDRjake has a good strat for that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhyvixrEle0

Holy poo poo :stare:

Is that still doable? Can you just split up the Ottomans and Venetians with custom nations like that?

edit: no you cannot. well poo poo. back to the drawing board...

Given that, anyone else have any ideas on how to get started with Albania? I can survive just fine for the first 10-20 years but the Ottomans' warnings make it impossible to expand.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 28, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Given that, anyone else have any ideas on how to get started with Albania? I can survive just fine for the first 10-20 years but the Ottomans' warnings make it impossible to expand.

Apparently the answer is "Ally Austria and laugh as they go on an offensive war with Venice where they promise you Dalmatia, then use your new core to fabricate claims in Bosnia, attack Bosnia/Serbia/Venice with Austria since she owes you one, laugh as you have Yugoslavia in 1463" :stare:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Albania or Iberia results after one night of play. I think this may be my best run yet. Even better than my Byzantine Empire run.

Accomplishments

-Complete Annexation of the Balkans by 1463
-Venice neutered down to OPM by 1480
-Foothold in Southern Italy that can be used to springboard to Iberia by 1504
-Naples no longer in union with Castille
-Best buddies with Austria, Brandenburg (emperor), Hungary and The Pope
-Joined the HRE
-Sank Aragonese and Castilian navy in the war for Neapolitan independence

How I did It

1. Ally Austria and pray the Ottomans and Venetians don't notice me
2. Get warned by the Ottomans
3. Ally Hungary with the help of a +diplomatic reputation adviser so I have enough friends that the Ottomans will go elsewhere
4. Fell out of my chair when Austria invited me into a war with Venice with the promise of territorial gains (Dalmatia)
5. Take Dalmatia after the war and get favors from Austria
6. Use Dalmatia to fabricate claims on Bosnia
7. DOW Bosnia after calling in Austrian favors which isn't impacted by the warning as it doesn't border the Ottomans
8. Fall out of my chair again when Venice answer the Call to Arms
9. Annex Serbia
10. Punch Venice in the face again
11. Annex Bosnia
12. Consolidate/Convert Yugoslavia
13. Pick Trade as my first idea group + Join the HRE
14. Help Austria castrate Venice for good, get more favors
15. Finish converting Yugoslavia, fabricate claims on Salento and build a big navy with an admiral
16. Laugh my rear end off as France+The Pope jump Castille+Aragon+Naples
17. DOW Naples
18. Sink the Neapolitan Navy
19. Work with Austria to siege down Naples
20. Sink the Castilian Navy
21. Siege down Sicily
22. Sink the Argonese Navy
23. Avoid the Portugese Navy as it's too big for me to sink right now
24. Let Austria capture Toledo, peace out with Salento+Calabria and Naples released
25. Write this post to tell you guys how to do this

Worries :ohdear:

-Ottomans have been expanding like nuts to my east
-France has grabbed some of Spain so unless Spain takes it back we'll come to blows over it
-Bohemia is getting big, the 30 Years War might be really, really ugly
-If Austria and Brandenburg come to blows I don't know who to support. Probably Austria?

I think I've got a really good shot at pulling it off, so long as I can hurt Castille enough so they don't become a colonial juggernaut. And assuming the Ottomans don't finally turn their eyes my way. Anyone else who wants to try and pull off what I think is the hardest, non-insane achievement, this is the strategy to go with. Although I guess you can't bank on Austria calling you into war like that...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

You can usually bank on everyone in Italy hating Venice's guts though, meaning they have no non-poo poo allies like The Knights or Provence, which ends up being about the same thing.

The main issue I saw was that given Albania's small army I was unable to withstand any kind of sustained Venetian attack if I couldn't grab an ally before they DOW'd. Plus, as soon as I fended them off the Ottomans would jump me and that necessitated a restart as I don't think there's any way to beat the Ottomans without any allies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Huh. So it looks like we might be getting naval manpower? At least that's my guess as to what the new topbar icon is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

It's like the new provinces of interest in diplomatic feedback; usually I don't even mark them since it pisses people off more regularly than it seems to actually get you any provinces. I guess occasionally you'll be able to do like that Albania guy and get Dalmatia for free out of nowhere, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I appreciate the feature for AI transparency for sure, but to actually go through the hassle of using it myself I wish it had an incentive. Like reduced AE on taking those provinces if you've had them marked for 10+ years or something.

It can also help your allies from taking stuff in a war you're supporting them in. If you mark a province they don't care about and they capture it, they'll either give it to you (yay) or won't take it and force you to grab it from them later (even better). It also helps make sure you give your allies provinces they care about in wars if they're demanding territory instead of favors.

It can however, piss people off royally as in my Albania game France now hates my guts as I marked all of Iberia.

edit: by the way, the new "territory or favors" system for offensive wars is great. no more being able to have Austria and France fight the whole world for you with nothing expected in return.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 29, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TITY BOI posted:

So i did this achievement pretty recently, it was a lot of fun. If it's possible to ally Poland, do so. Go over the relations cap if necessary. Basically you want to build up a crusade of varna 2.0 and drive the otto man out of europe at all costs. If you can get them on the backfoot, you basically have an avenue for AE-"free" expansion to the east. Once you have the entirety of the Balkans and Anatolia under your jackboot before 1650 or so then the rest of the achievement is fairly easy.

(Fig 1. It was all a formality after this :smug:)

If this isn't possible, I'd side with Brandenburg over Austria. If you can beat up on Austria together , you can westernize for free by taking Vienna, and get a massive income boost from the goldmine in Tyrol.

Thanks for the advice! I think my long-term plan is to use Austria and Poland to beat the ottomans back to Anatolia and then turn on Austria when the league war starts.

Speaking of the league war...guess who just became emperor? Yep, Albania is now the emperor on the eve of the 30 years war. I'm Catholic obviously and the Protestant league is made up of Bohemia, the ottomans, France, England and a bunch of German minors. France has proceeded to gobble up most of northern Iberia so I need to go to war with them soon, and having all the allies I do now should make it somewhat doable.

So my question is, how do you trigger the league war as emperor? Also will I be able to actually take any territory from France or the ottomans?

I've also got another game going that's trying for first come first serve (own all of the Americas starting as a custom nation in the Americas) and ideas guy (have an income of 500 after starting as an OPM with 3 development) due to the current national ideas bug. It's about 1500 and I've got all techs at 20 due to the bug and have 4 idea slots filled, have conquered all of the Mexican natives, colonized central america and have made my way down into Brazil. I also am Norse as I'm going for For Odin too, but I still think I'm going to run into trouble when the west shows up. Since monarch points aren't a problem for me, what's the best thing to spend them on that isn't tech? I've been recruiting a lot of generals and developing provinces.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

What's the bug?

Development. You need to be running as many colonies as you can afford to run, and increasing development increases that number. When I was doing First Come First Serve I had 12 colonies going simultaneously at the peak and that cost a ton.

If your national idea reduces cost of something (coring, tech, ideas, etc) and you build and cancel troops it'll stack the modifier multiple times. Which is how I'm about 200 years ahead in tech. You can abuse it to make all tech 30 monarch points. Same thing with ideas, coring,development cost, etc

I'd post a screenshot but I'm traveling for work. Rest assured it is hilarious to see all of central america and half of South America the same color in about 1500. I named my country "outer heaven" as a nod to metal gear solid too, as I started in Costa Rica :v:

I think Spain is gonna poo poo it's pants when it sees a massive country in the Americas thats western and makes around 80 gold a month. It's like playing as the aztecs in a converted ck2 save with sunset invasion on

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 31, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dublish posted:

I'm doing my own For Odin/First Come First Serve/Humble Beginnings run, and I noticed that I sometimes had multiple -10% coring cost modifiers, but they'd mostly disappear once I started on one province. Are you saying there's a way to keep those modifiers?

Do it while paused. You can then buy any tech ideas cores or development as the price is instant. You may need to build/cancel a few dozen times to get enough modifiers.

I assume this is going to be fixed as early as tomorrow so if you want an easier time with some of the custom nation achievements now is your time to shine.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Node posted:

Could you get 200% or more discipline with that bug? What about combat ability?

I want a regiment of clubmen from Africa to stackwipe a western army.

Yeah it was pretty crazy. You could do DDRJake level exploits very easily.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sindai posted:

Johan said "we'll fix it in mare nostrum" in a dev multiplayer stream so everyone's assuming that's either the codename or real name of then next DLC.

And yeah 1.16 is the next DLC patch.

It was rather funny too as there was a long pause as everyone realized he said something he shouldn't have.

But I'm excited for it. Maybe changes with the Med? Gotta say I've gotten back into EU4 thanks to the changes to estates, random new world, etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I am finally playing Ironman seriously now that things are really improved on the whole. The next big thing I would like to see fixed would be how Monarchies work w/r/t rulers/heirs/stats and how navies/sea battles work. Both are things I have posted about at length so I wont do it again unless someone asks :v:.

Great now I want an inverted Switzerlake achievement where you own X provinces and none are inland.

:justpost:

I'd like to hear what people think on those as I agree they're probably the next area that could use more depth. It's really saying something that revolts, internal management, alliances, etc have all been fixed and we are down to more minor stuff. But the fixed have made the time between wars when you consolidate power much more fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

This would be pretty sweet if they could find a way to include it without needing to add a whole bunch of new interfaces or mechanics. I know they want to keep it simple but this would be a much much more interesting way to have PUs and all that kinda stuff work.

Maybe add an "assassinate heir/ruler" option in espionage ideas so there's finally a reason to take them in non-MP games? Getting your dynasty on the throne by convenient "accidents" would be pretty fun. Even more if you could use it to give yourself PUs. To make it not crazy though, make it so that getting caught is an automatic DOW by the assassination target or massive infamy hit+coalition?

• Locked thread