Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For anyone still interested, the first episode of Season 2 is up on Youtube.

I've watched this and the taping of the second episode and I have to say, this feels waaaaay more like OG public access TCGS than Season 1 did. It's now an hour long which gives the show so much more breathing room, and it's taped in pretty much the same way as the public access version was, but then just edited down. Season 1 tapings were a goddamn mess of them trying everything and seeing what stuck, having tons of bits that didn't make it to air, rerecording every time someone flubbed a line, etc. Made it feel much more practiced and way less genuine.

Season 2 is killing it.

Episode 2 is amazing, I'm not sure how they're going to edit it down for TV, though, since I watched the taping last night. I'd highly recommend watching it next week it without knowing the spoiler, but in case you need to be sold - on episode 2, Pete Holmes doesn't show up, and Chris, Bethany, and Shannon think the show is doomed, then pull up their bootstraps determined to have a good show anyway. That is until about 15 minutes in when some security guards flood the audience, start directing audience members around, moving furniture, moving Bethany, and leaving a bewildered Chris in a genuine state of confusion and panic.

...and then the Diddy door opens in a cloud of smoke and who should walk through but Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, being a real loving adorable silly weirdo.

Chis becomes a goddamn mess. And of COURSE he has a notebook on set full of things he wants to ask Diddy in case he ever shows up

It contains one of the better exit lines I've ever heard. It's pretty loving grand.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

For anyone still interested, the first episode of Season 2 is up on Youtube.

I've watched this and the taping of the second episode and I have to say, this feels waaaaay more like OG public access TCGS than Season 1 did. It's now an hour long which gives the show so much more breathing room, and it's taped in pretty much the same way as the public access version was, but then just edited down. Season 1 tapings were a goddamn mess of them trying everything and seeing what stuck, having tons of bits that didn't make it to air, rerecording every time someone flubbed a line, etc. Made it feel much more practiced and way less genuine.

Season 2 is killing it.

Episode 2 is amazing, I'm not sure how they're going to edit it down for TV, though, since I watched the taping last night. I'd highly recommend watching it next week it without knowing the spoiler, but in case you need to be sold - on episode 2, Pete Holmes doesn't show up, and Chris, Bethany, and Shannon think the show is doomed, then pull up their bootstraps determined to have a good show anyway. That is until about 15 minutes in when some security guards flood the audience, start directing audience members around, moving furniture, moving Bethany, and leaving a bewildered Chris in a genuine state of confusion and panic.

...and then the Diddy door opens in a cloud of smoke and who should walk through but Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, being a real loving adorable silly weirdo.

Chis becomes a goddamn mess. And of COURSE he has a notebook on set full of things he wants to ask Diddy in case he ever shows up

It contains one of the better exit lines I've ever heard. It's pretty loving grand.

Ty I had this thread bookmarked so I could find out when s2 started up!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just got back from the taping of episode 4. It should be a pretty good one, although, I'd say this one was exceptionally good for the audience and not necessarily the viewer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm watching the third episode and John Hodgman just dunked a basketball (off a trampoline, barefoot and wearing a Hartford Whalers Jersey), then he high-fived John Starks while someone on Skype read an Emily Dickinson poem in the background. That feels like something they plucked straight out of my fever dreams.

edit: Then at the end Hodgman sits on the mat, reading a Walt Whitman thing while three professional trampoline dunkers dressed as Walt Whitman keep jumping over him. It's magic. Also he has insane calves.

feedmyleg posted:

this feels waaaaay more like OG public access TCGS than Season 1 did.
Most definitely, warts and all.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That wrestling episode was Dramatic Dream Team levels of weird.

Really liked this season overall, way better than last year's.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The dumpster episode is also an absolute must watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wish they could release the raw footage for each episode after the fact. Cash or Trash live was amazing, just Mantzoukas and Scheer trying to derail the show as hard as they could for hours. Until the incredible reveal.

Maybe some weird fan somewhere records them.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

GraPar posted:

The dumpster episode is also an absolute must watch.
Thanks for this.

Since this started Chris has really blown up. Appearances on This American Life, Broad City, his podcast, etc. I feel like a cool kid finding him before everybody :3

Glad this current season is long form.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just hope they renew him. Although I'm amused at his attempt to be Kelly RIpa's new co-host.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bumping as Chris is doing a live 12 hour election special marathon on Tuesday to save us from all of this. I'll be tuning in for every drat moment of it as I'm all about comedians taking over elections, and I've not gotten to his last one so I don't even know what to expect.

Thankfully MNN are being awesome and streaming it live online for those of us not in NYC (It's on MNN 5 HD there if you're a local) and it's on Livestream which has an app on things like Apple TV which seems to be of decent enough quality and hopefully won't get killed by a rush.

More: http://www.mnn.org/ChrisGethardElectionDay16

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

Thanks for this.

Since this started Chris has really blown up. Appearances on This American Life, Broad City, his podcast, etc. I feel like a cool kid finding him before everybody :3

Glad this current season is long form.

Plus, his off-Boradway run of his one man show! Dude's killing it and it's great!

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
Election special had some pretty great moments; Babreham Lincoln, the Taylors, the chatroom finding the kidnappers. I kind of want to find more of Rick's music but I'm worried it might spoil the magic. Then it ended:

To avoid ending the post on a real downer, JD's been filming My Brother, My Brother and Me. Everything so far looks amazing:

quote:

HUNTINGTON — Whitney Eskew was walking in downtown Huntington when she saw part of Marshall University's Marching Thunder warming up for a parade.

She walked a little closer to check out why the band was playing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

Beyond the Sousaphone and plumed hats she spied Seth Cyfers, a fellow Marshall art grad, and by him a giant Tarantula spider that took up an entire truck trailer.
Back at the show's filming headquarters (the old Wright's building) where Ackenpucky Creative has built a jaw-dropping set, J.D. Amato, the show's director and executive producer, shed light on the mysterious afternoon spider parade that will be part of an episode in the new TV show that basically each episode is like the podcast in that they are trying to help someone solve a problem (usually relationship issues).

"One of their fans reached out because he needs help with a Tarantula-based problem he wants to get his wife to be pro Tarantula," Amato said. "So we tried to do an episode that changes the national sentiment around Tarantulas starting in Huntington, so of course, we decided to throw a parade."

https://twitter.com/DowntownHWV/status/778323672817819648

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I slept really badly, but watched the whole thing albeit with 'napping on the couch' for a bit towards the beginning. I missed the kidnappers being found, that was such an odd segment. I like the Wikileaks thing, the Taylor twins, was interesting to see not-Vacation Jason, and the final hour but the last ten minutes was especially heart breaking. The last sentence though was incredible.

"I hope nobody kills Anthony Atamanuik". {cut}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I had to stop watching when the terror started creeping in. I just couldn't watch goofy characters when I was sick to my stomach.

• Locked thread