Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Very interesting thread - thank you for posting it.

There was a Furry that I knew online via common interest (Raiding in an MMORPG) that had some very interesting behaviour - he tended to wear his sexuality and fetishes as badges of honour, wanting to talk to anyone about it. Is this a common thing within the fandom? I have seen similar behaviour by other people who identified themselves as Furries, but I didn't really interact with them as much as him.

I assume this is coming from social inability/inexperience and disinhibited behaivour due to social reinforcements of it being acceptable (by a minority) in the community?

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Camrath posted:

As I said before, I've had to yell at people for wearing matted sex-suits in public.

Wow. So much.. lack of common sense and self-awareness, I suppose? I'd be really interested to see how they came to the conclusion that it'd be a good idea to do that.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Camrath posted:

As for people with laundry lists of horrifying poo poo.. well, I've seen my housemate's list of online fetishes, for example. They're loving terrifying, but IRL he's almost completely asexual.

I've seen this a few times. I believe there is an attraction to the concept of 'kinky sex' (to a potential extreme) rather than actually becoming involved in it, or acting it out.

I've often thought that there were two kind of Furries. The kind that keeps it to themselves as a hobby or lifestyle. Then there is the kind that wears it on their wrist, throwing their sexuality and kinks around. Would you agree with this kind of duality within the fandom? I suppose the latter could be their trying to find an identity, and being swept up by the community as a whole and thus never being able to personally develop it themselves.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rollofthedice posted:

Ages ago a Psychology thread here in Ask/Tell had a short detour into furry talk, and someone linked some surveys done at furry conventions. I think this is the site.

What particularly struck me when I skimmed over it all back then was the end of this 2013 survey.

There is another paper on Furries and Psychology - Furries from A to Z (Anthropomorphism to Zoomorphism) Admittedly, I've only ever seen it in passing so I have no idea if it's any good. I did skim it a bit, and it seemed interesting though.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rollofthedice posted:

How do they justify themselves when they're being super creepy?

I'd be very interested to hear about this, too. And in general - how do they justify potential strange/creepy behaviour?

• Locked thread