Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks for the thread OP.

As I understand, being a furry is a relatively expensive hobby even if it's just facepaint. Judging by the photos, 99% of furries are white blokes from well-off families. Were there ever people who spent their last pennies on tickets to a con or did the community care for them? Basically, what were socio-economic dynamics there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I looks like you're still friends with some people in the community. Do they ever try to pull you back?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Vic, do you personally think it was a mistake for OP to leave the community? It appears like you keep rephrasing the same question trying to get a particular response.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, how young were the youngest furries in your time? I assume minors are not allowed at conventions without an adult , but you mentioned underage drinking at meetups. Did people try to be mindful of literal children who came with their parents to look at cute animal mascots? Did this ever even happen when people wandered into a furry convention by mistake?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TunaSpleen posted:

This lovely, uh, thing was created by a friend of mine. Despite all my attempts to socialize her in high school, after we graduated she dove right down the furry rabbit hole. I mostly blame her parents, she grew up overly sheltered out in a very rural area and they held her on a tight metaphorical leash to stay home and never aspire to do anything with her life. She's currently using her BA in Anthropology to stock the freezers at Walmart alongside her mother.

Edit: which raises an interesting question: how many furries out there were just naturally socially awkward despite the well intentions of their families, versus how many came from unusual/dysfunctional home situations? It seems we've seen both in this thread already.

If you look closely at the background, you can see this character foreverially tied-up and possibly delitised and enjoying it. :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Doctor Who is a show for children and so is all the other dross you mentioned. Japan is not unique in addressing 'mature' subjects in children television. Crafting your identity around children television, Japanese or not, is laughable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Control Volume posted:

You seem extremely angry about dorks in dog suits

Hm... I agree. But who is your favourite pony?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sizone posted:

Pretty much. Destrawmaning it for you, cruelty is needless suffering, a lot of the meat we consume is produced in a way that generates needless suffering, not just for one unlucky cat, but for 10s and 100s of thousands of animals. I eat hamburgers and exercise absolutely gently caress all diligence in assuring that the source for those burgers are free-range, humanely treated cows. Therefor I do not give a gently caress about animal cruelty, I care, specifically, about cat cruelty, or, I do not give a gently caress about animal cruelty in so far as it results in stuffing my corpulent maw with beef.

Meat tastes good, unlike a cat's arse. Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sizone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5S-gRpe81s

Yup, I'm sure all those cows are saying to themselves "whelp, at least no one's slipping me the dick, that would just be icky!"

Cows are loving stupid. They are incapable of actual coherent thoughts.

• Locked thread