Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
After a week and a half of being missing, the police contacted me this morning to inform me that they found my car. It is now home, safe and sound.

The damage is contained to the ignition cylinder, which they gouged with a screwdriver. The lower part of the column is broken open, but none of the wires appear to be cut or otherwise harmed. With a little persuasion, he started up with a jump. The indicators work, the wipers work, the cruise works.

Naturally, anything else of even small value was taken from the car, including my prescription glasses I kept in it for driving at night. That will not be expensive to replace—nothing that was taken is. I'm just glad to have it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm glad you got your battle wagon back safe and (relatively) intact :toot:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Glad you got your ride back. It might be your old man Buick, but its YOUR car, and its nice to have it home.

Luckily, they made millions of these cars, so hitting up the pick and pull will be easy to find replacements.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Luckily, they made millions of these cars, so hitting up the pick and pull will be easy to find replacements.

I don't even need to do that. I have a replacement ignition cylinder on deck. Since the damage to the column is cosmetic, and everything still works, I'm just gonna replace the cylinder and call it good.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

hell yes

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

:hfive:

Doesn't look like it was driven very much, and it was found about four miles from my house in a shopping center. Battery was stone dead. It may be damaged. After I jumped it and drove it around to recharge it, restarts resulted in slower cranking than I'm used to. The battery has a warranty, so I'm not too concerned.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So how bad did you get raped on towing/storage fees? When my 88 Accord got stolen, the cops waited about a week to contact me after the guys driving it had been arrested. :fuckoff:

Go through it. I asked the cops if they'd done a complete search, they swore up and down they did. I found a decent amount of coke and a small amount of weed in the trunk once I got it home.

Glad yours was found relatively unharmed. Mine had a roasted clutch, smashed front bumper and hood, was missing the stereo, my amp wiring had been used to tie the front bumper back on, and I found pawn slips from pawn shops all over Dallas for everything of value that was in the car. :sigh: Mine was found about 20 miles from where it was stolen.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

some texas redneck posted:

So how bad did you get raped on towing/storage fees? When my 88 Accord got stolen, the cops waited about a week to contact me after the guys driving it had been arrested. :fuckoff:
$85 to tow it from where it was found to my house. Certainly could have been worse. The dispatcher more or less said to me that I had a half hour to get there or it was getting impounded.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Did they put Pass Key into the 90s A Bodies?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

KennyLoggins posted:

No, and that's the reason why it's so easy to steal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Glad to see she made it back mostly unscathed!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

$85 to tow it from where it was found to my house. Certainly could have been worse. The dispatcher more or less said to me that I had a half hour to get there or it was getting impounded.

Goddamn, not bad. I wound up paying north of $400 to get my car back. And that was in 1999...

KennyLoggins posted:

Pretty sure they had it in every GM by the mid 90s, but it's hilariously easy to defeat. They only used a handful of resistor values (I want to say about a dozen, and you got several tries before it would lock out the ignition switch for a bit - you could disconnect the battery to get around the lockout IIRC).

If early PassKey is anything like the modern version of PassKey, all you have to do is cut 1 wire and do a re-learn to get it to start, you just get a permanent security light on the dash (and have to do a re-learn anytime the battery is disconnected).

No offense to LV, but I'm kind of wondering (a) why would they steal a mid 90s Buick and (b) why would they steal something so easy to spot (there weren't many of the wagons sold to begin with)? Had to be someone who just thought "welp, I'm high, tired of walking, and need to get home".

Left Ventricle posted:

No, and that's the reason why it's so easy to steal.

Oops. How weird. I remember most 90s GMs having it. :confused: Not that PassKey really slows anyone down anyway, it's really easy to get around.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

some texas redneck posted:

No offense to LV, but I'm kind of wondering (a) why would they steal a mid 90s Buick and (b) why would they steal something so easy to spot (there weren't many of the wagons sold to begin with)? Had to be someone who just thought "welp, I'm high, tired of walking, and need to get home".
That's pretty much what it probably was. Crime of convenience. And yeah, less than 8000 Century wagons made in '96.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yay she's safe and home.

Time to add the "valet mode" stun gun to the ignition system.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My friends Toyota Previa was stolen once and recovered at a night club. The thieves had meticulously cleaned all the garbage out of it, shampooed the seats and rugs, put fuel in it, and left an Ace of Base CD in it.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Left Ventricle posted:

Since the damage to the column is cosmetic, and everything still works, I'm just gonna replace the cylinder and call it good.

I bet thieves think if they tear the column cover off there will be a switch labeled "hotwire" under it and are shocked when it's just a bundle of unlabelled wires.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bibendum posted:

I bet thieves think if they tear the column cover off there will be a switch labeled "hotwire" under it and are shocked when it's just a bundle of unlabelled wires.

Actually there's a spot on those old GM columns where if you make a hole there is basically a 'hotwire' switch. Found out about it when somebody used it on my Camaro early one morning (and couldn't go anywhere because it had no ATF in it).
It's about 180 degrees from where this dude smashed it though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Glad you got your ride back! Those pieces are super easy to find in the junkyard if you ever do decide to fix the cosmetic damage, GM used those columns in like 14 brazillion cars for the better part of a decade or two.

And also it's a good thing that EEs are rarely in the car stealing business because I'm reasonably certain I could jack any pre-security-key car in about 15 minutes if I found it with the door open using nothing but logic and/or schematics pulled from the internet. Fortunately we usually have better things to do.

Remember that you'll need to carry two keys... one for the doors and one for the ignition, unless you change them all out. I learned that the hard way when I forgot to swap the cylinder over from my old hatch to my new one on a long since departed XJ and had to use the electric locks to open it from that point forward :downs:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Time to throw a fuel pump kill switch etc, in a secret location.

A buddy of mine removed his clutch switch and routed it up under the dash so his car won't start unless you hold that switch in your left hand while cranking. Obviously not going to work on an automatic but something to keep in mind, get clever.

And congrats on getting the car back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Remember that you'll need to carry two keys... one for the doors and one for the ignition, unless you change them all out. I learned that the hard way when I forgot to swap the cylinder over from my old hatch to my new one on a long since departed XJ and had to use the electric locks to open it from that point forward :downs:

Fairly sure his car already has 2 keys - GM used two keys back then, one for the ignition switch, one for the doors/trunk/glovebox, up until around the end of the 96 model year or so. I've never seen that style steering column setup for the newer style keys personally. So a new ignition lock cylinder just means swapping out one key on the keyring.

• Locked thread