Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

:awesomelon: Premiers Friday June 12th 10/9 CST :awesomelon:

quote:

The crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

quote:

Charming but a bit of a goof, One (aka Pretty Boy) is the crew's moral center, a guy who always tries to do the right thing, despite the odds stacked against him and no matter how unpopular the course of action. Sure, he screws up - but he means well.

quote:

The group's defacto leader, Two (aka Boss Lady) is a master fighter. Determined, tough and more than a little headstrong, she is not the type you want to mess with - or disappoint. She can be cool and inscrutable and yet, at the same time, can demonstrate surprising compassion - the mark of a true leader.

quote:

A true bad-rear end, Three (aka Sunshine) is the flip side to One's principled coin - which is why the two are often at odds, developing a (grudging) like-hate relationship over the course of their journey. He is a mercenary through-and-through, a Han Solo type, always looking out for himself. But he must come to accept the fact that if he's going to survive long enough to reach the outer colonies, he's going to have to learn to get along.

quote:

Ever-stoic and a master of the blade, Four's (aka Slashy McStabberson) cool, calm demeanor belies a ruthlessness that gives even his fellow crewmembers pause. He's a man of few words but, when he does speak - just like when he fights - it's with precise efficiency. A fierce and relentless opponent, he is also an equally loyal and passionate friend.

quote:

The mascot with a knack for mechanics, Five (aka Kid) also has some mysterious abilities. What first seem like telepathic powers turn out to be jumbled memories, but whose memories are they? She's the kid with all the secrets and a propensity for getting into trouble. Easily bored, quick to mouth off, she is nevertheless a relative innocent amongst less savory company.

quote:

On the surface, Six (aka Tiny) is a low-key bruiser, an imposing figure amongst a group of intimidating individuals. Despite the company he keeps, he is a man of integrity with little patience for B.S. Cross him at your own risk. Beneath the rough and tumble exterior, however, is a heart of gold - 14k, the softest! A surprisingly simple guy, his quiet confidence belies a fierce intelligence and philosophical nature.

quote:

In personality, The Android is more butler-like than your typical robot - concise, staid, yet surprisingly possessed of a subtly wry sense of humor. She is an indispensible member of the crew since she can exercise control over all the ship's systems, an ability of which she isn't shy about reminding everyone. An outsider among the ship's human passengers, she is almost child-like in her earnest desire to fit in. Her character will grow and evolve through her interactions with her human charges as she’ll inevitably gain acceptance as a member of the crew.

Sneak peak: http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter/videos/dark-matter-season-one-sneak-peek

Creator, writer, and showrunner's blog: https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

All stolen from Syfy.com

Reviews/Previews:
- http://www.scifistream.com/2015/06/review-dark-matter-blasts-off-this-friday/
- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dark-matter-tv-review-801655
- http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/dark-matter-review-from-dark-horse-comics-on-syfy-channel-1201515144/

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wish I had just watched it and not read the character descriptions. I'm guessing this will be a tongue in cheek show, something like NTSF:SD:SUV or Eagleheart?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The comic wasn't bad, but they obviously wrote it with TV in mind. The humor was more SG1 than Eagleheart.

Also those character descriptions are loving terrible.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 11, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any chance this ends up on Netflix?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If this isn't just the most tired and generic tv character conflicts and drama, I will watch the poo poo out of it. I feel like a lot of scifi shows are just pulling out the script pool of episode ideas that have been used since the 80s.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Episode 2: Water

"The crew runs out of water"

Everyone: "god drat it not again"

fake edit: I actually hope this is good, as I'm lacking for fresh scifi these days

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mcswizzle posted:

fake edit: I actually hope this is good, as I'm lacking for fresh scifi these days

And then they get water.

If episode 2 of Dark Matter is "we are out of water!" and then they never find water and all die, and episode 3 just picks up like nothing happens, I will be fine with that. Like the episode of NTSF:SD:SUV:: where all of San Diego explodes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mcswizzle posted:

Wasn't that a Battlestar galactica episode.

I like the leather aesthetic, space leather is cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Wasn't that a Battlestar galactica episode.

I like the leather aesthetic, space leather is cool.

And a Stargate: Universe episode, which is why people are making fun of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not sure how much is spoilers but concerning the universe it's busy, like really loving busy. Corporations and bounty hunters and shithole planets and space stations and so forth. No aliens yet though.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
series premiere on a friday? god that fuckin sucks and reeks of one season and done

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Always happy to see Jodelle get work since she was on Atlantis.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Will give this a try because Roger Cross is a cool dude. Hope it doesn't end up being trite by-the-book crap.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Will give this a try because Roger Cross is a cool dude. Hope it doesn't end up being trite by-the-book crap.

I think it's a shame that while innovative, high quality shows continue to succeed, their success always results in a bunch of new shows trying to copy their formula. I get how it might be a safer bet financially, but I wish more people would consider the lesson to be "originality sells".

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

wormil posted:

I wish I had just watched it and not read the character descriptions. I'm guessing this will be a tongue in cheek show, something like NTSF:SD:SUV or Eagleheart?

The creator has said there is humour in it, but I'm pretty sure it's not a comedy show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Episode

Episode 1

A spaceship crew awaken from stasis with no memory of their mission or their identities, but once they reach their destination, a mining colony, they begin to look for answers while working together to survive in the series premiere of this adaptation of the graphic novel series of the same name.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Interview with longtime Stargate EP who is now showrunner for this show:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/longtime-stargate-ep-aims-bring-802045

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Snak posted:

I think it's a shame that while innovative, high quality shows continue to succeed, their success always results in a bunch of new shows trying to copy their formula. I get how it might be a safer bet financially, but I wish more people would consider the lesson to be "originality sells".

Yeah, the problem is rehashed garbage sells almost as well and the money men love a sure thing.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Oh Cool, you mean Scifi channel still plays stuff that isn't Ghost Hunters or Ghost Hunters: Miami? used to be my favorite channel and I haven't turned it on in at least 2 years. Gonna have to check this out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Oh Cool, you mean Scifi channel still plays stuff that isn't Ghost Hunters or Ghost Hunters: Miami? used to be my favorite channel and I haven't turned it on in at least 2 years. Gonna have to check this out.

Yeah, one of their execs recently came out and said that their programming was poo poo and they needed to refocus on actual science fiction. They're also giving up Smackdown which is an enormous ratings draw so they must really believe this.

They still play a ton of lovely monster movies, of course.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The creator has said there is humour in it, but I'm pretty sure it's not a comedy show.

counterpoint: "aka Slashy McStaberson"

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

You've missed some good shows, Twelve Monkeys, Zombie Nation, Defiance is kinda fun.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wormil posted:

counterpoint: "aka Slashy McStaberson"

You've missed some good shows, Twelve Monkeys, Zombie Nation, Defiance is kinda fun.

I watched season 1 of Defiance and liked it, forgot it was Scifi channel, wasn't a big fan of 12 Monkeys got bored, might come back. probably wouldn't watch a show with Zombie in the title.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, one of their execs recently came out and said that their programming was poo poo and they needed to refocus on actual science fiction. They're also giving up Smackdown which is an enormous ratings draw so they must really believe this.

They still play a ton of lovely monster movies, of course.

Monster movies are their bread and butter, always have been, that's good news though, might actually have to turn on my tv even.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 12, 2015

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I watched season 1 of Defiance and liked it.

Season 2 is even better, you need to watch that. Dominion however should be avoided like the plague. It's terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Killjoys starts next week, so we'll have a nice Friday lineup of Defiance, Killjoys, and Dark Matter.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Whats with all the series premieres on Friday night? I've always been under the impression Friday nights is where shows go to die

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Whats with all the series premieres on Friday night? I've always been under the impression Friday nights is where shows go to die

That's been true, but Syfy is trying to go back to the old Scifi Friday blocks when they had BSG, SG1 and SGA.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

That's been true, but Syfy is trying to go back to the old Scifi Friday blocks when they had BSG, SG1 and SGA.

OG Scifi Friday was like Farscape, the Sentinel, and I-Man :colbert:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Ah. I never knew about their Friday block.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah the friday death slot just isn't as bad for cable as it is for major networks. If anything it's better for cable because it means the niche audience Syfy chases after are demonstrably loyal to the show, which leaves a pleasant taste in advertiser's mouths.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah the friday death slot just isn't as bad for cable as it is for major networks. If anything it's better for cable because it means the niche audience Syfy chases after are demonstrably loyal to the show, which leaves a pleasant taste in advertiser's mouths.

Plus with streaming and DVR's being standard now I think the airdate isn't as important as it used to be, I think netflix has proven that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I watched season 1 of Defiance and liked it, forgot it was Scifi channel, wasn't a big fan of 12 Monkeys got bored, might come back. probably wouldn't watch a show with Zombie in the title.

Good news then, it's actually called Z Nation, and it's fantastic because it's not serious at all. It's made by The Asylum, that should tell you what the tone is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Plus with streaming and DVR's being standard now I think the airdate isn't as important as it used to be, I think netflix has proven that.

Syfy better be a lot better with DVR numbers. They didn't track them at all back during the Stargate days. I know I won't be watching this until later this weekend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming this was filmed in Canada since Canadian film law mandates casting Roger Cross.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes, it was filmed in Toronto.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
"Marc Bendavid" may be the most Canadian name I've ever heard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a first episode is was kind of light but I enjoyed it. Although I did guess that they were the Raza before it was revealed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I was going to say that this was an average first episode that did a serviceable job establishing everything and who the characters are.

Then out of nowhere the crew finds out exactly who they were before the memory loss and I swore to follow this show to the bitter end :aaa:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah this first episode was the first half of the graphic novel.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the thing at the end will at least get me to check out the next episode. Otherwise it felt like a fairly generic throwback to 90's syndicated action shows.

I wonder if they just used the same artists or if I really did see some repurposed pieces of the stricken SGU sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tighclops posted:

Yeah, the thing at the end will at least get me to check out the next episode. Otherwise it felt like a fairly generic throwback to 90's syndicated action shows.

Yep, and it was :perfect:

• Locked thread