Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I thought 13 was a relatively new length? Shows have typically been either 20+ episode monstrosities (BSG, The Office, etc) or short 8-10 ep seasons (re: GreenNight's post).

Traditionally a season would be 26 EPs (episodes to cover half of a 52 week year) 13 EP is the new half season format where it's shown in 2 blocks per year 13 weeks on 13 off returning for 13 more etc.

I really like the new release schedules, instead of everything coming to an end in spring and basically having no new content until the next fall we end up with something new coming out year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, just finished the first episode and I really liked it. The teaser at the end with clips from the season got me pretty excited to watch this, never thought Syfy would make another space-faring scifi in the vein of Stargate again after their attempted rebranding.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It occurs to me that the Stargate guys have made a career out of riffing on tropes established by better projects, progressively less entertaining each time

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, True Detective, Fargo..

Yeah but who watches those

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tighclops posted:

It occurs to me that the Stargate guys have made a career out of riffing on tropes established by better projects, progressively less entertaining each time

To be fair, they probably invented a bunch oif them...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nah the more I think about it the more the first two Stargate series' just morphed over time into lighter Star Trek shows complete with technobabble and SGU was always an obvious BSG rip off, I mean the only thing they really had going for them at the outset was better continuity between episodes over time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
SGU was a good show, i'll happily beat the cheese out of anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
yeah i don't get the SGU hate.. i liked BSG, but SGU was a nice compromise between stargate's campyness and BSGs darkness. I even liked the music montages!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Having just re-watched all 17 seasons of Stargate, I'll say: I still don't really like the first season of SGU, but the second was very solid and I'm real sad it ended.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I always wanted to see where they would go with SGU season 3 :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

yeah i don't get the SGU hate.. i liked BSG, but SGU was a nice compromise between stargate's campyness and BSGs darkness. I even liked the music montages!

i like the powerful themes like the one fat nerd trying to constantly escape the friendzone

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Name a show with a big fat math goon, who isn't...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I always wanted to see where they would go with SGU season 3 :(

I prefer to imagine that they ran out of power on the way to the next galaxy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

SGU was a good show, i'll happily beat the cheese out of anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

I knew a guy who referred to masterbating as "beat'n tha cheese" so your post made me smile.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm pretty sure the 8-10 episode thing is mainly British in origin.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
10? i would have loved to have had 10 episodes of stuff growing up...

loving 6 mate, maybe 8.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
SGU got good after they had already announced it's cancellation, it got really good actually.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

they are trapped in space but at least they have katanas.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

SGU got good after they had already announced it's cancellation, it got really good actually.

Well they finished filming the season before they knew they were canceled. This show already filmed all 13 episodes of the season too.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I like trying to figure out the world in these new shows.

Small ship FTL travel? Yes.
Teleporters? No.
Aliens? Maybe, or just rumors.
Psychic abilities? Yes, may be limited
Land the ship, or shuttles? Shuttles.
Androids? Yes
Evil mega corporations? Yes
Many earth-like planets? Probably
Competing governments? Unknown yet
All in one corner of galaxy, or larger? No info yet
Black holes / worm holes? No info yet
Energy pulse weapons? Yep
Old 60's style air to air missiles? Yep
Space stations? None yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, True Detective, Fargo..

I don't know anything about Da Vinci's Demons, but True Detective and Game of Thrones are both HBO shows, one of which only had an 8 episode season?

Regular network television frequently does runs of 13 episodes, which are sometimes "picked up" or extended to 22 episodes. I mean, plenty of shows have different season lengths, I'm just saying that 13 episodes is definitely not a new thing.

Also I just checked and the first season of Da Vinci's demons also only had 8 episodes, so while it did adopt a 10 episode format for it's second two seasons, I have a hard time with argument that 10 is the old standard, since all of your examples were premium cable shows, and two of them had 8 episode first seasons...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Touche, Snak.

Picking up a back 9 is more broadcast than cable, and it seems to be happening less and less.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Watched EP1 last night, for the majority of the episode I was thinking meh, I mean I was going to watch it because it was sci-fi and as a long time sci-fi fan I feel like I need to support anything that isn't truly awful.

Then when the final reveal took place in the last minute of the show I suddenly thought that this could end up being legitimately good if they do it right.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can make this something more interesting than the standard Space Cowboy fare.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's what Killjoys is for... Starts next week folks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Touche, Snak.

Picking up a back 9 is more broadcast than cable, and it seems to be happening less and less.

Meh, 13 episodes is a good length to have a nice season without a bunch of filler IMO.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rocksicles posted:

That's what Killjoys is for... Starts next week folks.

This friday!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bango skank posted:

Add me to the list of people getting strong SGU vibes off this. A lot of the sets look like repurposed things from that show, but I'd thought they auctioned everything off after they canceled it.

The set design looks like an amalgam of lots of other sci-fi, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. Right now it just feels like "sci-fi space ship set" no unique style or cohesive design that I'm picking up on yet.

Rocksicles posted:

I initially hated it, but it did start to grow on me, just had to get past that first season. I think by the end they had enough going for it that I was going to keep watching had it not been cancelled. I'm not really a fan of the whole dark edgy BSG drama poo poo, I like that they lightened up a bit near the end.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rocksicles posted:

Aatrek finally outs his parachute account.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Aatrek infiltration account spotted

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flatscan posted:

Ahh crap, it loving rhymes too..

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The set/cgi had that 00's SG about it. But it was enjoyable, will be down for the ride I think.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Meh, 13 episodes is a good length to have a nice season without a bunch of filler IMO.

There won't be any filler episodes, if you believe the interviews :

Joe Malozzi posted:

I’ve been developing this show for six or seven years so we’ve had a five-year game plan. The first season, I approached it as the first installment in a book series, so I had a beginning, middle and end, but it’s just peppered with twists and turns. One of the things we set out to do was in each episode have one of those WTF moments where you’re like, 'OMG, I can’t wait to tune in next.' The first episode is that revelation about their identities, and the second episode is another revelation. In the spirit of the type of shows I like to watch, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, The Shield, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, you watch with one eye on the show and the other on the clock thinking, 'OMG, I can’t believe this almost over.' It’s the type of show where every episode something happens. I’m tired of the cookie-cutter stand-alone episodes where everything reboots at the end. I just think it’s fun to really create a space opera in the truest sense of the word.

Link to the interview was already posted on the first page, but here it is again: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/longtime-stargate-ep-aims-bring-802045

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
He talks the right talk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Some good stuff comparing the first episode with the comic:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/june-15-2015-behind-the-scenes-on-dark-matter-episode-101/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stolen.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

One better:

God I miss that show.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Rougey posted:

One better:

God I miss that show.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend....Farscape marathon

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mcswizzle posted:

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend....Farscape marathon

John Crichton didn't just fly the Farscape project, he clearly also flew the Manscape Project.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just watched my DVR'd premiere. That was competent if unspectacular. I hope something more interesting happens to hook me in, or at least Killjoys is better. Not-Jayne sure was grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Kesper North posted:

John Crichton didn't just fly the Farscape project, he clearly also flew the Manscape Project.

Ben better rock up for an episode, I mean he and Claudia Black practicality trademarked the leather clad spacer.

• Locked thread