Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Since I haven't really paid much attention to this, is it set in the same universe as Killjoys?

Nope, although they share a similar setting in that the Galaxy is controlled by ebil capitalists and their mega corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing at the end of the season, Syfy will pick this or Killjoys to renew.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I'm guessing at the end of the season, Syfy will pick this or Killjoys to renew.

Pretty sure that Killjoys is produced by Temple Street Productions, and not Syfy, so the shows aren't in competition with each other.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Second episode wasn't too great, it was like the most filler as gently caress episode of SG-1 you could imagine without being a flashback episode involving some sort of alien artifact. I'm hoping Jace turns out to have killed the people on his warrant sheet completely by accident like jar jar binks or something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I watched this week's episode but I can't remember a thing about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I'm sure I watched this week's episode but I can't remember a thing about it.

Deus Ex Machina, second episode and our "heroes" achieve nothing. I guess being inept is something?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Enjoyed the first, zoned out for the second. Seems many goons did the same. Maybe watching it right after GoT wasn't fair, but it was dull and predictable - and the plot twist was an excuse.

Is there some material everyone is meant to have watched/read before? They've done a pretty lovely job of introducing the universe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ratjaculation posted:

Enjoyed the first, zoned out for the second. Seems many goons did the same. Maybe watching it right after GoT wasn't fair, but it was dull and predictable - and the plot twist was an excuse.

Is there some material everyone is meant to have watched/read before? They've done a pretty lovely job of introducing the universe.

If I understand the other posters in this thread correctly, it's based on a comic and the first two episodes have already dealt with nearly all the story in said comic. So perhaps now that they can make stuff up as they like, they will come up with better episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The same dude who wrote the comic basically wrote the entire show and is the exec producer and showrunner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not impressed with the second episode. I give it one more to hook me and then I'm out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The 3rd episode of SG1 is known for being the series worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

15 years ago I had a much wider attention span and there was far less consumable scifi at my fingertips.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
At what point will it become acceptable for people who have been working in sci fi television for more than a decade to take less than a whole season for their shows to step up and quit being weak

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Kesper North posted:

He's the Good Guy! His special ability is Goodness. His Goodness will bring the team together!
I'm banking on him being the biggest bastard of the lot when it comes to their former lives.

Either slavery or rape.

Or both.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rougey posted:

I'm banking on him being the biggest bastard of the lot when it comes to their former lives.

Either slavery or rape.

Or both.

Stampeding cattle. Through the Vatican.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Glad to see Joseph Mallozzi learnt his lesson from SG:U and has avoided making a derivative pile of cargo-cult crap this time.

But really: this is poo poo.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

They really needed to do something bigger for the first two episodes. The colony story feels like something that should have happened part way through the season to fill time.
This is true for Killjoys, too.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Slamhound posted:

This is true for Killjoys, too.

Im optimistic that killjoys will have a decent hook of a second episode based off of the woman receiving the red Box at the end of the premiere.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Im optimistic that killjoys will have a decent hook of a second episode based off of the woman receiving the red Box at the end of the premiere.

B-b-b-b-ut.... there's a mysterious box in Dark Matter too! In all seriousness, I'm probably gonna give this show until Rodney McKay shows up before I give up on it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

B-b-b-b-ut.... there's a mysterious box in Dark Matter too! In all seriousness, I'm probably gonna give this show until Rodney McKay shows up before I give up on it.
Killjoys' box introduces the character conflict of whether Dutch will go and murder the gently caress out of someone on her mentor's orders, despite her really not wanting to, and what might happen to shift the calculus of the equation to an unequivocal "Yes".

Dark Matter's box just raises the question "What's in the box?", which is the worst kind of left unanswered science fiction show "mystery".

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

GreenNight posted:

True but if I recall it also has one of the best quotes in the series, "What is an oprah?"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Dark Matter's box just raises the question "What's in the box?", which is the worst kind of left unanswered science fiction show "mystery".

Agreed. Same with that dumb locked hangar on the ship that contains An Ancient Evil.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Agreed. Same with that dumb locked hangar on the ship that contains An Ancient Evil. the truth

fixed

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Xtanstic posted:

Agreed. Same with that dumb locked hangar on the ship that contains An Ancient Evil.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that there is dark matter behind the locked door.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

Good lord that battle at the end of the episode was horrible. Lets all run around pretending to be in the Matrix or something and kill tons of space corp police then they all disappear without making a sound. WTF. What did they spend like $5 on this show? I'll give it a couple more episodes...

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Waverider posted:

Good lord that battle at the end of the episode was horrible. Lets all run around pretending to be in the Matrix or something and kill tons of space corp police then they all disappear without making a sound. WTF. What did they spend like $5 on this show? I'll give it a couple more episodes...
The special effects people couldn't even afford squibs, which is the sad part.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mars4523 posted:

The special effects people couldn't even afford squibs, which is the sad part.

They had that giant fake laser/whatever gun, why not just shoot lasers all day? It would look better, but I guess since the fake gun was only fired once (seriously, I can't remember it going off more than once) they probably don't have the budget.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ElCondemn posted:

They had that giant fake laser/whatever gun, why not just shoot lasers all day? It would look better, but I guess since the fake gun was only fired once (seriously, I can't remember it going off more than once) they probably don't have the budget.
It actually looks like its a giant sonic/pulse gun, going by what comes out of it. Mind you, the special effect for that is also terrible (and the effects team can't keep the cylindrical projectile effect consistent from different angles).

Killjoys seems to have a bigger budget for things like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Episode

Episode 3

Sabotage is suspected and the onboard paranoia surges when the ship mysteriously veers off course. To bring the systems back online, a perilous spacewalk is required; at the same time, Five makes a shocking discovery.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sci-fi died for me when they replaced Farscape with Tremors the tv show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode was definitely better since it could actually focus on the characters and not have them interact with outsiders (where their personalities just got kind of flattened.) Also I guess the fact that One isn't really One explains why he isn't a hardened criminal.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tenzarin posted:

Sci-fi died for me when they replaced Farscape with Tremors the tv show.

How do you make a television series out of that premise :psyduck:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode was loving amazing.

"THIS IS GOING TO INTERFERE WITH THE TEST!"

All the characters have settled into their roles and are clearly comfortable with it, and the writing is good enough to make them entertaining as hell.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

How do you make a television series out of that premise :psyduck:

Christopher Lloyd as a mad scientist.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Christopher Lloyd as a mad scientist.

poo poo, for Christopher Lloyd I'll have to watch that show. :negative:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Much better than the second episode. Glad the quality went back up.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wow that whole situation was ripped out of the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 SGU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

This has been pretty by the numbers so far but is interesting enough to keep me watching.

Is it weird to anyone else that the crew isn't suspicious of where Five came from? She wasn't on the crew list and still has no name, plus the whole memories/subconcious thing they all know about now... You'd think they'd be a bit more suspicious of her under these circumstances.

And I knew One seemed too nice... I'm hoping it's more complex than nice brother/evil brother.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

And I knew One seemed too nice... I'm hoping it's more complex than nice brother/evil brother.
Clones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

muscles like this? posted:

Also I guess the fact that One isn't really One explains why he isn't a hardened criminal.

I might have turned my brain off a little too much to catch this part. What?

VodeAndreas posted:

Is it weird to anyone else that the crew isn't suspicious of where Five came from? She wasn't on the crew list and still has no name, plus the whole memories/subconcious thing they all know about now... You'd think they'd be a bit more suspicious of her under these circumstances.

Probably because she's like 15. What can she have possibly done? (Answer: worse poo poo than the rest of the crew) Obviously that thinking will be their downfall.

• Locked thread