Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I mean it's not like he's wearing a shirt with his name on it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

hailthefish posted:

Ahem, I believe you mean Beighley.

It's spelled "Bay Leaf".

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe *he* misspelt it. He's a junkie after all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Yeah, he kind of went from "I'm the stern, rule-obsessed corporate guy who's also a big gay bear" to "SIG HEIL! BRING ME A CHALICE OF BABY BLOOD YOU DEGENERATE!"

Someone's not too familiar with the Stanford Prison Experiment

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I apologize if it's been asked, but how much time has passed in the show's four seasons? The real Piper only served 13 months of a 15 month sentence, but it feels like the fictional version has been locked up for several years.

Either way, I thought season four was fun, even if it did feel like there is no real 'A-plot' happening most of the time. This year felt much more like an ensemble than even last year, but that's probably directly correlated to Piper lacking any real story and that lack of a primary overall arc. Season 1 is the fish out of water/adjusting to prison season, then in season 2 we had a comic book villain (and one of my all-time favorite seaosn finale eps) and then last year was Piper really taking control of her situation. This year... prison administration is evil as gently caress?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Piscatellas motivation made sense to me

A guard literally got murdered in this prison and no one noticed for months and your boss is clearly a big dumb baby (from his perspective). Piscatella is an archetypal authoritarian leader type who prides himself of taking care of his own, Getting Things Done and Making the Tough Decisions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah that's a good point. They have no way of knowing the dude was a hit man trying to kill Sexy Romulan all they know is that a guard was murdered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I did bug me a little bit that there was so little emphasis on who was in the garden. I suppose everything happened really fast though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

massive spider posted:

Piscatellas motivation made sense to me

A guard literally got murdered in this prison and no one noticed for months and your boss is clearly a big dumb baby (from his perspective). Piscatella is an archetypal authoritarian leader type who prides himself of taking care of his own, Getting Things Done and Making the Tough Decisions.

I also got the impression that Red reminded him of his mom, whom he hates, and that's why he was extra cruel to her.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

Xealot posted:

I'm hoping Piper gets out before the show ends.

Preferably to be written out.
I really want this to happen, I don't dislike Piper but having the final season be about her taking a back seat and being out of prison sounds perfect to me; especially if the series ends with an Animal House style wrap up on every character.

If I could have just one wish it would be to get a Frieda-centric episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought that they've minimized Piper pretty effectively over the past two seasons. Keeping her story entirely in prison helps a lot as well.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Doronin posted:

I apologize if it's been asked, but how much time has passed in the show's four seasons? The real Piper only served 13 months of a 15 month sentence, but it feels like the fictional version has been locked up for several years.

A very eventful 11-13 months I think. It's possible Piper got more time for the assault or perjury but the show probably would have mentioned it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm extremely late catching up through this but Piper's branding reminded me a lot of the end of Inglorious Bastards.

The following episode did not, but this one did.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol what the gently caress was this season! How did it not catch any flack for the outrageous "cost cutting corporation commits the ultimate evil by hiring VETS" plot, hahaha.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol what the gently caress was this season! How did it not catch any flack for the outrageous "cost cutting corporation commits the ultimate evil by hiring VETS" plot, hahaha.

Cuz they hired people who were clearly not mentally stable enough to be guards and committed war crimes in the Middle East. The guy who knocked up Daya was a vet and was always a sympathetic character (though it's probably a bad sign that his name escapes me).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cuz they hired people who were clearly not mentally stable enough to be guards and committed war crimes in the Middle East. The guy who knocked up Daya was a vet and was always a sympathetic character (though it's probably a bad sign that his name escapes me).

Babyface Guy.. I totally can't remember his name either. But wasn't it a huge fake out that he was in any way a good person? They reveal that he lost his leg in a hot tub, and the only time we see him in the army, he's diving for his own safety when somebody else covers the grenade. (a not so subtle reference to him running from Daya's boring baby). Also he had sex with a prisoner under his care. He's definitely portrayed as a selfish coward.

Now that I think about it, there isn't a single positive thing said about the military in this show, is there? Poussey's dad maybe?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Now that I think about it, there isn't a single positive thing said about the military in this show, is there?

Yeah it's great.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Welp, I guess now we know how the next season will end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Steve2911 posted:

Until reading this I'd completely forgotten that they sent him a picture of her body (and tits) and that he actually thought she was dead. Surely he'd have followed up on checking that, especially since he never heard from the hitman again?

Having a hitman enter a prison as a legit employee, go missing and for neither the prison or his employer to notice is fairly silly.

This storyline went the exact opposite of where I thought it was going to go. Imagine the lawsuit exposure of a prison hiring a loving assassin, now imagine he fucks up and gets dead and you have evidence that gift wraps a major narcotics trafficker. You have leverage for commutation and a seven figure payday from the prison but oh no better hide the body.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subterfrugal posted:

This storyline went the exact opposite of where I thought it was going to go. Imagine the lawsuit exposure of a prison hiring a loving assassin, now imagine he fucks up and gets dead and you have evidence that gift wraps a major narcotics trafficker. You have leverage for commutation and a seven figure payday from the prison but oh no better hide the body.

I seem to remember they were freaking out about him because he had like five different Social Security Numbers though.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

The second half of the season was very entertaining, even if the tonal whiplash could be a bit extreme at times.

I almost gave up during the first half. I know it's not a realistic show, but the insane lack of logic behind the whole Alex, Aydin, Kubra thing almost completely pulled me out of what I was watching. I can ignore the lack of supervision and CCTV etc. because otherwise it would have to be a completely different series, but surely there was a better way they could have written this one particular plotline.

Kubra sends Aydin to kill Alex, someone she will definitely recognize. He couldn't send anybody else? After the scene where Kubra freaks out about that one guy not switching burner phones often enough it is hilarious that Aydin has Kubra down in his phone as 'Kubra'. Not even just K! Wouldn't it make sense for Alex to go to Caputo or someone, does she think they won't believe her about what happened? Surely as soon as they started investigating Aydin's background they would realize something was up. And surely the FBI or whoever handled the case against Kubra in the first place would not think it was a crazy idea that an international drug cartel leader would try and kill someone who testified against him! But ignoring all that, what the hell is the end game of even pretending to text back as Aydin? When Aydin mysteriously vanishes, Kubra's just gonna think 'oh well he sent me that text so I definitely don't need to worry about the job having gone well' and isn't it going to be incredibly obvious to Kubra that Alex isn't dead, this is information he could easily get!

I'm thinking too hard about it but it's so dumb.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

an overdue owl posted:

I'm thinking too hard about it but it's so dumb.

Yes, it was extremely dumb. Wouldn't Alex have obvious strangulation marks on her, consistent with this guy attacking her? Under any level of investigative scrutiny, they'd figure out this "new guard" wasn't on the level. And you're right, they'd probably be able to link him to his boss with little effort.

MCC is insanely risk-averse, and frankly Alex is an educated white woman with a lawyer on speed dial (from the related case where she testified.) To make a case against Alex, they'd have to disprove her version of events and cover up who the hitman really was. As they demonstrated with Bayley, they'll gladly throw one of their own to the dogs if it's the easiest solution. Blaming Caputo for not vetting a new hire is easier than entering a protracted legal battle against Alex.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

an overdue owl posted:

I can ignore the lack of supervision and CCTV etc. because otherwise it would have to be a completely different series

Haha, then you should Wentworth were the CCTV is almost literally a character superpower 90% of the time. :suicide:

Wentworth owns though, after watching its very obvious where the shows borrowed from each others previous seasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xealot posted:

Yes, it was extremely dumb. Wouldn't Alex have obvious strangulation marks on her, consistent with this guy attacking her? Under any level of investigative scrutiny, they'd figure out this "new guard" wasn't on the level. And you're right, they'd probably be able to link him to his boss with little effort.

MCC is insanely risk-averse, and frankly Alex is an educated white woman with a lawyer on speed dial (from the related case where she testified.) To make a case against Alex, they'd have to disprove her version of events and cover up who the hitman really was. As they demonstrated with Bayley, they'll gladly throw one of their own to the dogs if it's the easiest solution. Blaming Caputo for not vetting a new hire is easier than entering a protracted legal battle against Alex.

Remember they tried to spin a 90 pound black woman as being a raving thug until they literally couldn't find any dirt on her. "Lesbian Drug Dealer attacks Guard" is not that big a spin.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

computer parts posted:

Remember they tried to spin a 90 pound black woman as being a raving thug until they literally couldn't find any dirt on her. "Lesbian Drug Dealer attacks Guard" is not that big a spin.

It is when the Lesbian Drug Dealer has connections.

If they brought murder charges against Alex, she wouldn't accept a public defender, she'd probably get in touch with one of the lawyers involved with that previous case. Then, her defense would dismantle MCC's argument when they couldn't provide any valid documentation regarding the dead guard. Anything MCC could think to do to counter that - fabricating documents, withholding information from investigators, attempting to prevent Alex from communicating with defense counsel - would necessitate conspiracy, and make a ton of their people criminally liable if any of those things came to light.

MCC isn't villainous for no reason. They simply want to maximize profits and reduce costs. Once they realized how proper-hosed they were, their options would be: 1) double down and take on tons of risk to find Alex guilty, or 2) sacrifice one of their underlings, just as they decided to do with Bayley. They'd pick option 2...probably targeting Caputo as the warden who hired those guards.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Is there a thread for season 4 yet?

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pheeets posted:

Is there a thread for season 4 yet?

You're in it. The title never got changed.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Henchman of Santa posted:

You're in it. The title never got changed.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can definitely cut the writers some slack for Alex's actions there. She was a paranoid wreck throughout season 3, and being both an attempted murder victim and a killer of said attempted murderer would not put you in the most rational frame of mind.

If I was in prison and just killed a guard, my first instinct would drat well be to cover it up, regardless of how justified I was or how well I could prove it. And once you've sliced up a body and put it in the ground for several weeks it becomes a bit more difficult to explain, especially if you've got a whole conspiracy going on.

• Locked thread