Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Sorry about the boring thread. Right arm asked me to take some frame photos of my H&K P9S Sport Group III for a project he is considering undertaking. So I decided to share some group shots of my barrel weighted target pistols along with detailed shots of the overtravel stop and interior action of the P9S and share them. You can see a theme developing in my collecting.

My Sig Arms P210-5 9mm with Oschatz Waffen barrel weight replacing the normal sight, H&K P9S Sport Group III .45, and Beretta 96 Combat .40S&W

Slides locked open

My Benelli MP3S 9mm

P9S swing up overtravel stop

Detailed P9S Frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

yo those are neat

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

The longer barrel combined with the longer sight radius on them and the extra weight make them really easy to shoot well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

I wanna shoot them

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That Benelli is cool as all hell.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

You guys are welcome to head to the range with me if you ever make it to NJ.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Yuns posted:

You guys are welcome to head to the range with me if you ever make it to NJ.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever go to Gun For Hire or RTSP? I would love to try your P9S! Most accurate gun I have is my coz shadow target, but something tells me it's not even close to your collection.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

cknoos posted:

Just out of curiosity, do you ever go to Gun For Hire or RTSP? I would love to try your P9S! Most accurate gun I have is my coz shadow target, but something tells me it's not even close to your collection.
Those are my home ranges. Mostly RTSP unless I need the 50 yard range. Let's meet up at RTSP some weekend. The most accurate centerfire pistols I have are the P210-5, P210 Legend Super Target and Pardini GT45-II followed closely by the P9S Sport Group III and X-Five. The most accurate pistol I have by far is the Pardini SP Bullseye .22lr which is a theoretical 1" at 50 yards kind of pistol.

Right now my target pistol collection (not counting my self defense focused stuff) is:
semi auto rimfire:
Pardini SP Bullseye

semi auto centerfire:
Sig P210-5
Sig Sauer P210 Legend Super Target
Sig Sauer X-Five Enhanced Classic
H&K P9S Target
H&K P9S Sport Group III
H&K USP Expert
S&W Performance Center 3566 in 9mm and .356 TSW
S&W Performance Center 5906 IDPA
Beretta 96 Combat
Benelli MP3S (in Germany)

Revolvers:
S&W K-38 Heavy Masterpiece
Korth Sport 4"
Korth Triple Lock 6" (in Germany)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Your collection is impressive but I doubt these guns make you more of an accurate shooter, you're not an Olympian.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Yuns posted:

Those are my home ranges. Mostly RTSP unless I need the 50 yard range. Let's meet up at RTSP some weekend. The most accurate centerfire pistols I have are the P210-5, P210 Legend Super Target and Pardini GT45-II followed closely by the P9S Sport Group III and X-Five. The most accurate pistol I have by far is the Pardini SP Bullseye .22lr which is a theoretical 1" at 50 yards kind of pistol.

Right now my target pistol collection (not counting my self defense focused stuff) is:
semi auto rimfire:
Pardini SP Bullseye

semi auto centerfire:
Sig P210-5
Sig Sauer P210 Legend Super Target
Sig Sauer X-Five Enhanced Classic
H&K P9S Target
H&K P9S Sport Group III
H&K USP Expert
S&W Performance Center 3566 in 9mm and .356 TSW
S&W Performance Center 5906 IDPA
Beretta 96 Combat
Benelli MP3S (in Germany)

Revolvers:
S&W K-38 Heavy Masterpiece
Korth Sport 4"
Korth Triple Lock 6" (in Germany)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

While I'm not an Olympian and no where close to an Olympian, I am a former competitive standard pistol shooter who was on a standout pistol team. Although the shooter is by far the main factor in accuracy hence the its the indian not the arrow expression, error in precision shooting is cumulative and so even mediocre shooters can have their scores significantly influenced by the equipment they choose. I spent last weekend teaching some people how to shoot pistols for the first time and the accuracy, long site radius and light trigger of the P210 had them grouping surprisingly well at 10-15 yards. We tried a lot of pistols and the differences were noticeable. At 25-50 yards even run of the mill recreational bullseye shooters are going to be able to tell the difference between a wadgun and typical service pistols.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Yuns posted:

While I'm not an Olympian and no where close to an Olympian, I am a former competitive standard pistol shooter who was on a standout pistol team. Although the shooter is by far the main factor in accuracy hence the its the indian not the arrow expression, error in precision shooting is cumulative and so even mediocre shooters can have their scores significantly influenced by the equipment they choose. I spent last weekend teaching some people how to shoot pistols for the first time and the accuracy, long site radius and light trigger of the P210 had them grouping surprisingly well at 10-15 yards. We tried a lot of pistols and the differences were noticeable. At 25-50 yards even run of the mill recreational bullseye shooters are going to be able to tell the difference between a wadgun and typical service pistols.
Good reply. I've also found that trigger weight and weight of the gun definitely do matter, it's definitely better for new shooters. I don't exactly get why you do target pistols only though, as modern service pistols can be as accurate as target pistols to 25y in my experience. I shoot a lot though. My PPQ, which is a $550 gun, shoots as good of groups as $3000 1911's and I'm experienced in both, just saying.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

If you just like owning nice guns, then cool... I do too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

In part, I like target pistols because that's my shooting sport. While it's been years since I competed, I'm going to start shooting in a recreational bullseye league as soon as I find some time. And in part, I collect target pistols because I really like well designed and built precision machines. Kind of like guys who are into mechanical watches. You don't own 20 watches because you want to tell the time really well.

I agree that practical accuracy can be pretty similar between a pretty broad range of pistols. Mechanical accuracy does differ. Ransom rested/mechanical rested testing shows typical service pistols from the top companies to be quite excellent and consistent these days. You'll see 25 yards groups from just a shade under 2 inches to about a bit over 3 inches for most decent pistols. For competitive target pistols the standard is tighter. My P9S and X-Five both have mechanically shot test targets of 1 inch at 25 meters. My P210-5 has a test target around 1.8 inches at 50 meters. These are 5-6 shot groups If shooter is shooting recreationally or is shooting 6 inch groups at 25 yards an inch difference in mechanical accuracy won't be noticed but if you are shooting 25 yard slow fire competition where the rings are X - 0.67 inches, 10 - 1.51 inches, 9 - 2.60 inches, 8 - 3.82 inches, 7 - 5.32 inches, 6 - 7.22 inches. you can see where an inch could cause you to drop to the next ring. This could be an issue even if you aren't scoring 2600.

As a side note, the Centennial is not meant to be or designed to be a target pistol. It's just a straight up Italian pimp gun/BBQ gun.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 13, 2015

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

thanks again for doing this man

I bought the last target sear and hammer from midwest gun works and just got done installing them into my frame. trigger is unreal, even with the ridiculous amount of overtravel that a non target frame gives you.

I also got my spare frame from numrich so I'll finish my cheap p9s target project someday

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

No problem. Notice the set screw near the hammer in my photos? That screw adjusts the sear break point and makes the trigger heavier or lighter. Technically it's not adjusting trigger weight but rather sear engagement but practically it's effect is on trigger weight and crispness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

haha I read your posts over on hkpro to figure out how to adjust the sear. trigger will be unreal once I make that overtravel stop

• Locked thread