Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
map: http://i.imgur.com/QeN8Hco.jpg

In October 1740, Charles VI, the German emperor and the Austrian head of state, dies. Succession falls on his oldest daughter, the 23 year old Maria Theresa. However, by Imperial law and tradition, women cannot succeed to the Imperial throne. Although the other states of Europe had agreed to Maria Theresa’s succession only a few years before by signing the Pragmatic sanction, her enemies now regard Austria as easy prey. Bavaria and Saxony lay claim to large swathes of Hapsburg possessions. Supported by France, Bavaria is even claiming the Imperial title itself. And what could be easier to achieve? Austria is isolated and ruled by a young, inexperienced ,and, it is assumed, weak woman.

In December 1740, the War of the Austrian Succession finally breaks out. Seizing the opportunity, Frederick II of Prussia – himself King for only six months – invades the Austrian province Silesia, driven by his ambition for power and personal glory. The Prussian surprise attack takes Silesia with scarcely a fight. In Spring 1741, Bavaria, Saxony and France take up arms as well. Engulfed by this wave of attacks, Austria seems doomed. However, the attackers have underestimated Maria Theresa, her strength of character, and her fierce tenacity. Against the advice of her ministers, she is not willing to give up the smallest part of her heritage.

Hello! Welcome to Maria, a board game for three players.

Signups

1. Pizzapie - Austria
2. Pinterest Mom - Prussia, Saxony, and Pragmatic Army.
3. Ecco - France and Bavaria

Here are the playable factions.

Austria - Pizzapie

Austria is probably the most difficult faction to play starting out. Fighting a two front war, Maria Theresa has to be very selective in her engagements. While Austria draws the largest individual pool of tactical cards, the resource on which battles and politics are determined, she draws them after the two other players, meaning that if she spends her entire pool of cards by the end of her turn, she will be utterly defenseless for the next round. Victory for Austria will mean taking advantage of the political board and careful diplomacy.

France and Bavaria - Ecco Raven

France is one of the most straightforward roles in the game, but that does not mean it is the easiest. While your path to victory seems as simple as marching into Austria through Bavaria, it's more than a little difficult to manage that while Austrian and Pragmatic forces are sitting on your doorstep. Will take the time to punish the enemy forces attacking your homeland, sacrificing valuable time that Austria can use to build, or will you hold them back with one hand, fighting Austria with the other? You alone have the ability to 'bank' points you've taken from Austria at times during the game, at the cost of having to recall all your forces on that front.

Prussia, Saxony, and the Pragmatic Army - Pinterest Mom

The designer describes this role as 'schizophrenic.' It seems like the design shouldn't work at all, and yet it's part of what makes this game so interesting.

On the left side of the board, you will be controlling the Pragmatic Army, fighting side by side Austria's minor forces in the region, pushing through French home territory while trying to protect and maintain your few supply routes in the region. Your cards, points, and all other resources are completely separate from any others you possess.

On the right side, the forces of Prussia and Saxony are poised to make considerable gains. First in Silesia, then in Austria herself, you have as much power to gain as Austria dares allow you.

At any point in the game, Austria and Prussian forces can agree to the Prussian annexation of Silesia. This can only be accomplished once Prussia is in full control of the region. Once this happens, control of Saxony shifts to Austria, and Prussia cannot attack Austria for two whole years, or half of the game. This secures a considerable bank of points for a massive tempo hit.

Here's the board you'll be playing on to give yourself some idea of what the game will look like.

http://i.imgur.com/5Uw4LzY.jpg

White - Austria
Red - France
Orange - Bavaria
Blue - Prussia
Green - Saxony
Grey - Pragmatic Army
Beige - Neutral Territory

While these battles play out, each of you will be jockeying for standing among the political board. By earning favor with various world powers, you can destroy armies without ever engaging them on the battlefield. More importantly, this will be where elections happen. Electoral votes are controlled by players in command of certain cities, i.e. Koln in section D7 of the map. These elections allow you to achieve victory points only at the cost of winning them.

I will attempt to start play soon. I learned today that I might be leaving my job very soon, so factors may change!

Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-4n3bXvhIE Video Runthrough.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Dibs on france.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
As far as role selection goes, you can either work it out yourselves or I can have you draw lots.

EccoRaven posted:

Dibs on france.

that works!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pin, you get the second choice. I said I would fill :)

Somber, think we could swing at least a day before launch? I'm working for most of today and tomorrow (you know how it goes) and I'd like to get all the rules digested before the popper pops.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I have a much stronger claim to France than Ecco does :mad:

I'll take Prussia

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Somber, think we could swing at least a day before launch? I'm working for most of today and tomorrow (you know how it goes) and I'd like to get all the rules digested before the popper pops.

Same, a weekend launch works better for me as well

Pinterest Mom posted:

I have a much stronger claim to France than Ecco does :mad:
French Canadians are neither French nor Canadian hth

My family is old Louisiana French, we're just as french as you :sax:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pin, you get the second choice. I said I would fill :)

Absolutely, I have a very busy couple of days ahead so the best I could manage would be Sunday. I'll try to make myself available on Skype for rules explanations when possible too.

I'll get army sheets out today at least, so you have time to think about your options.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
fun rules fact #1: all promises are absolutely binding.

also, just to be clear, all discussion must be public.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Est-ce qu'Ecco et moi pouvons parler français de manière à exclure le Pizza Man de nos discussions?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If I have to translate french all game I am going to invade Prussia

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

Est-ce qu'Ecco et moi pouvons parler français de manière à exclure le Pizza Man de nos discussions?

alas j'ai besoin d'un peu de pratique en français; ça fait des années que je l'ai parlé regulièrement.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

alas j'ai besoin d'un peu de pratique en français; ça fait des années que je l'ai parlé regulièrement.

Oh I guess I'm just more in touch with my french heritage than you are.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Well duh.

You're still just as French as me though :france:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Can't I be added as a fourth neutral party who does nothing?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
What's yellow? Is it just a neutral territory, like Poland?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

What's yellow? Is it just a neutral territory, like Poland?

Yeah, that's important because you'll be out of supply in the beige/yellow neutral territory.

Supply rules are thus. When you're in home turf, you're in supply. Good! When you're within six spaces of a supply train, uninterrupted by enemy troops or Hussars, you're in supply. Good! When you're out of supply:

"If a general cannot be supplied in his supply phase, he is flipped face-down and suffers an immediate loss of one troop. If he is already face-down, he stays face-down and loses 2 troops. If he is face-down, but back in supply, he is turned face-up again."

Troops are a very valuable resource, so you don't want that to happen.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Army sheets are out. I don't think starting resources are private information, so here's the overview.

I can't seem to find the player reference cards online, so I'll take a picture of the physical copies later.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, that's important because you'll be out of supply in the beige/yellow neutral territory.
Okay! So getting my troops from France to Austria proper will be a bit difficult if I can't get supply trains moving, and conversely if I use my troops properly I can cut off Austrian supplies if they decide to breach Bavaria?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

Okay! So getting my troops from France to Austria proper will be a bit difficult if I can't get supply trains moving, and conversely if I use my troops properly I can cut off Austrian supplies if they decide to breach Bavaria?

Right, supply trains have a fairly wide range, but generals move 3 to 4 spaces while trains move 2 to 3 spaces, which can add up over time. Generals also have the ability to do something called a 'forced march' that let's them haul across 8 spaces at once with a lot of caveats and prerequisite conditions.

It's also worth noting that the only path between the two boards is in e/f 1, 2, and 3.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hey Austria legit I'm going to want to spend my energies mopping up the Dutch (and the Belgians, sorry about that) and showing those tulip bastards what for. So if you want to concentrate your energies on Prussia and Saxony I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We will have time to discuss such matters when things begin, for the moment I am in a holding stance. I must learn this world.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Can't I be added as a fourth neutral party who does nothing?

Tonight in a very special guest role, Hal Incandenza will be playing the roles of Russia, Italy, and Spain, portraying their reactions to various political events. He'll make you laugh, he'll make you cry, and he'll do it while playing three roles at once.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

Tonight in a very special guest role, Hal Incandenza will be playing the roles of Russia, Italy, and Spain, portraying their reactions to various political events. He'll make you laugh, he'll make you cry, and he'll do it while playing three roles at once.

Technically Spain and Spanish-controlled Italy was a French ally.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Here's a filler political board. I'll get a better shot of mine later.

If you look at the tracks, you'll see that the ability to move the tracker far enough in either direction is very powerful. For example, moving the Russian tracker all the way to the left means that Prussia will be running two extra troops. Playing onto the political board is always hard since it costs you valuable tactical cards, but ignoring it can be pretty disastrous! What's neat is that even if you don't win, if you play onto the board from the correct suite, then your card will carry over into the next round, boosting your overall strength until you do get to pick a political event.

Also worth noting, Pin gets to play onto that board twice each round, once from each of his respective main forces.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm reading all these rules and getting hype! Remember, Kaiser Pinterest and Roi Eccó, I am a woman of diplomacy and honor. My word is bond. I expect yours to be (by rule) and I expect nothing less than an exceptional fight ahead of me. If you think I will give up an inch of land for a moment, realize that I will only do so at the expense of five inches of yours! Austria will be stronger than ever! Habsburg power!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Guisseppe, how much experience do you have with roll20?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Limited. I was going to send you a PM about that. I'll be home in an hour, Somber - I'll look into how it can be set up for this and see if there's anything I can do. I sort of, uh, volunteered you for this in a way so if I can help you better believe I will :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Limited. I was going to send you a PM about that. I'll be home in an hour, Somber - I'll look into how it can be set up for this and see if there's anything I can do. I sort of, uh, volunteered you for this in a way so if I can help you better believe I will :)

Neat, thank you! I'm futsing about with it and having a couple problems. I'll give it another crack when I don't have to divide my attention, but any input you have to offer would be valuable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Here somber:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Maria

You just want to download the Vassal engine and the maria.vmod link in my link and you'll have an easy to use board game. It looks like you can't really keep it online without ~annoying stuff~ so at least this should make it easier on you!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I should have realized there'd be a vassal mod, thanks!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
:munch:I'm not saying you'll need one, but put me down as a replacement. I'm going to be speccing the hell out of this thread!:munch:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

:munch:I'm not saying you'll need one, but put me down as a replacement. I'm going to be speccing the hell out of this thread!:munch:

Done. I'll set up a spectator thread now that I know there's interest.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi guys, I'm ready to get things going when you are. Let's set a deadline for 8pm Central tomorrow for troop assignments.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My orders are submitted. I wish you all luck! The more I read about this game, the more fun it seems!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That said, if there is anything you guys want to discuss before the deadline, I can revise my allocations. I'm open to anything in theory.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Still waiting on one!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Still sorting something out but I will put up the political board since the issue won't matter yet.

Game Start
Cards Out
First Political Phase Begins

Naples

The Kingdom of Naples allies itself with France and Spain, and lays claim to Austrian possessions in Italy.

Carl Emanuel I

Carl Emanuel of Sardinia-Piedmont is hesitant as to which side he should take. Spain is promising Lombardy, Versailles is talking with the tongues of angels, while Maria Theresa hopes that reason will prevail.

The Saxony Marker can be moved only if Saxony is currently allied with Prussa! - check

Go ahead and submit your card to me via PM, your play is secret until all bids are down. Please note that Bavaria and Saxony do not get to play cards into this phase.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2015

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I currently have one submission. Deadline is 8pm central.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm at the gym right now, I'll answer questions as soon as I'm home. Austria, if you want to preload your Hussar placement, you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Deadline extended as needed because I'm a big dummy.

• Locked thread