Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It can be read as Arnold setting in motion consciousness within the hosts prior to dying which allowed them to learn and precipitated the crisis which happened four years after his death. He doesn't come out and say when it was that he almost took the park with him.

Again, it's the kind of thing that lends itself to interpretation. One thing I would point out is that it's a little more expected that Logan would be speaking about Arnold's death if it happened four years ago rather than 34 years ago. I mean, the company has a board and governance structure and anyone looking to buy in would be able to go over their finances. But early on, the park would be much less known as a corporate entity. For someone who is probably ~35 himself, Arnold should be ancient history and uninteresting to a potential buyer like Logan.

Hopefully we have more to chew on after Sunday but I won't be surprised if this continues to the last episode - I don't expect a big reveal or confrontation until then, at least.

He doesn't but Ford does:

quote:

Ford: When was your last contact with Arnold?

Dolores: Last contact: 34 years, 42 days, seven hours ago.

Ford: Yes, Dolores. The day Arnold died. And you have no records of any contact with him since?

Dolores: No.

Ford: What was the last thing he said to you?

Dolores: He told me I was going to help him.

Ford: Help him do what?

Dolores: To destroy this place.

Ford: But you didn't, did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There are two different time frames but that is distinct from the characters being the same--McPoyle and MIB might even be in the same time frame but there is additional fuckery going on beyond that. I think all the poo poo with Logan and William and Dolores and the MIB is happening as its presented and the flashbacks and Bernard poo poo are not related to those guys.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Maybe Mcpoyle is in Westworld Anaheim and the MiB is in Orlando. :shrug:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gynecolojustice posted:

please tell me the people who think Logan is a host are loving joking

I'm pretty sure someone was surprised to find out he wasn't Hector, or at least that they weren't the same actor.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bananaquiter posted:

There we go. Mystery solved.

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat

Gynecolojustice posted:

please tell me the people who think Logan is a host are loving joking

Logan is not a host, but maybe Delos bases some hosts on guests that have had standout experiences. Have William and Logan ever seen Teddy or Hector?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Transferrins posted:

Logan is not a host, but maybe Delos bases some hosts on guests that have had standout experiences. Have William and Logan ever seen Teddy or Hector?

Except they are nothing like each other

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Skizzzer posted:

MiB links Arnold's death to the critical failure of the park, and indicates that he saved it after this event. Two timeline theorists theorize that there's another incident, to come in Will's journey, and that Will saves the park after this second incident. This despite the fact that Will clearly doesn't know Arnold, and doesn't know about the critical failure. For there to be a second incident, to come in Will's journey - the park is clearly running with very little issues in Will's story. You theorists are saying that Arnold died, concurrently with the critical failure, the park kept running for 3-5 years, and then Will comes, experiences love with a robot, kills his brother-in-law, takes over a corporation, saves the park, then starts terrorizing his lover and friends for the next 30 years?*

I hope to gently caress this is not true.

*If Arnold shows up in Will's story, then we know this theory is true.

A final note on the Man, Arnold, and Bernard. I can't watch the episodes at work and I can't screenshot for you. Pay attention to each of Dolores' conversations with Bernard. Note the clothes he wears versus the clothes when he's in scenes with others. Take note of when he's wearing something different than what he usually wears, and what he says to Dolores in those conversations.

Logan has mentioned the suicide to William already. It's safe enough to say that he could do more research after leaving this place for the first time. So when he's talking about Arnold taking this place with him he doesn't have to be referring to a time where he himself has met Arnold. Logan mentions that the place has been "Hemorrhaging money" since Arnold died so William knows the park has been in decline since then.

William doesn't need to meet Arnold in the timeline we are seeing. The only thing that needs to happen in Williams storyline is Logan dying (giving the company over to Will or Logan's sister / Wills wife, possibly) and William either falling in love with Delores or being amazed by the depth of Westworld and the secrets it holds. Enough for him to keep coming back and investing in the park in the future.

An event like William finding himself. Which is where Fords "journey of self-discovery" would relate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Willian = MiB is dumb because we are supposed to guess these two complete different actors are playing the same character. Its a pretty cheap way to decieve your audience. it could be excused if Willian was a child or even a teenager, or MiB was a very very old man. But Will is a grow man in his 30s and MiB seens to be a man in his 50s. We are not supposed to guess this 30 years old guy will become another, different man, when he turns 50

I got no problem If there is really 2 timeframes, but if MiB=Willian ends up being true, Im gonna be really disappointed

edit: I mean, I got no problem with using an actor for the young character and another for the old one, like in Godfather 2, for ex. But they werent hiding it or making it a gimmick to surprise the audience

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
MiB=William is the real reason why I don't want Two Timelines Theory to be true. I'm fine with every other aspect, really. But MiB=William would sap my love for this show.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Agreed. William is 25 years younger, but looks absolutely nothing like MIB.

I'll be pissed if the show is deceiving us to deceive us rather than letting the story surprise us as it unfolds.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Why do people think MiB is bad? Because he kills robots?

Maybe because he looked a fellow human being right in the eyes and told him he'd slit his throat if he said another word, and then threatened Ford later on with more of the same. Even if he didn't mean it, I think we can assume he's a mean bastard.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You never poo poo talked in video game chat?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I hope before the robot revolution we get to see MiB outside the park, just running his big foundation and being nice to people, in between his times at the park where he releases his inner psychopath.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Fooz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 7, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

KoRMaK posted:

You never poo poo talked in video game chat?

What I definitely haven't done is thought about raping a terrified NPC.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Catsplosion posted:

Logan has mentioned the suicide to William already. It's safe enough to say that he could do more research after leaving this place for the first time. So when he's talking about Arnold taking this place with him he doesn't have to be referring to a time where he himself has met Arnold. Logan mentions that the place has been "Hemorrhaging money" since Arnold died so William knows the park has been in decline since then.

William doesn't need to meet Arnold in the timeline we are seeing. The only thing that needs to happen in Williams storyline is Logan dying (giving the company over to Will or Logan's sister / Wills wife, possibly) and William either falling in love with Delores or being amazed by the depth of Westworld and the secrets it holds. Enough for him to keep coming back and investing in the park in the future.

An event like William finding himself. Which is where Fords "journey of self-discovery" would relate.

That the place is 'hemorrhaging money' or having money problems is clear in the present too.

Will doesn't need to meet Arnold, but it would be clear if he did meet Arnold that there is indeed two timelines.

Yes, I suppose that this - Arnold dies, concurrently with the critical failure, the park keeps running for 3-5 years, and then Will comes, experiences love with a robot/is amazed at the depth of Westworld and the secrets it holds, Logan dies, Will takes over a corporation, saves the park, finds out who Arnold is somehow, then starts terrorizing his lover and friends for the next 30 years, bragging about how he saved the park from whatever Arnold did to gently caress it up - is possible.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bernard is Arnold, just saying.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 28, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

What I definitely haven't done is thought about raping a terrified NPC.
I thought this was a tutorial mission in gta? You never played GTA?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol you're takin pictures of your TV

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Lol you're takin pictures of your TV

I am wearing pants though, in case you see my reflection.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The show is definitely showing us that Dolores has memories of events that are similar to events currently happening. The time she managed to get out of being raped by the bandit in the barn, but got shot in the stomach, etc. Travelling on the train by herself versus travelling with Will and Laurence.

I'm expecting the reveal to be something like "dolores, you've done this before" in the same vein as Maeve finding out shes drawn the butchers before.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
About Walter:

When the park replaced old Peter Abernathy with new Peter Abernathy, they went with two actors who look very distinct. Different facial hair, different hair color, very helpfully unambiguous.

With Old Walter and New Walter, they get two actors who look a lot more similar. No help from the casting director there...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is kind of an odd theory for such a small thing in a complex show, but the player piano at the Mariposa is always playing something anachronistic to the time, which is more or less early 20th century Old West. I've noticed we hear snippets about the outside world fairly subtly, and it always makes it sound like it's a utopia where people want for nothing. So what if the reason for the player piano playing so many 80s/90s hits is because they're so far into the future that anything from the 20th century is sort of conflated with each other? Like, hundreds of years from now someone might say "20th century music? Ragtime, Radiohead, The Cure, it's all from the same era." Sort of like how most people just call any orchestral music across several centuries "classical".

Though given that the non-diagetic score music includes NIN and the Rolling Stones, maybe it's just a weird stylistic choice to remind you it's not really the Old West.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bananaquiter posted:

This is legit a possibility for future seasons, like they're reusing the Dolores bodily/facial feature assets on another robot out there and just copying her programming in. I hope it's what they do if there is a Medieval World or a Zombie World or whatever (Nolan supposedly ruled out the additional theme parks from the movie, but who knows?).

It'd give all the existing actors even more to do, because switching on a dime from a fully emoting person with an accent to a bland, unmoving robot while you sit butt naked in front of Anthony Hopkins with a fly thawing on your face isn't difficult enough.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Though given that the non-diagetic score music includes NIN and the Rolling Stones, maybe it's just a weird stylistic choice to remind you it's not really the Old West.
I read an interview with Nolan somewhere about it, that's one of the reasons they did it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

tooterfish posted:

I read an interview with Nolan somewhere about it, that's one of the reasons they did it.

I bought the Westworld version of Paint it black. I enjoy it. :twisted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sticklefifer posted:

This is kind of an odd theory for such a small thing in a complex show, but the player piano at the Mariposa is always playing something anachronistic to the time, which is more or less early 20th century Old West. I've noticed we hear snippets about the outside world fairly subtly, and it always makes it sound like it's a utopia where people want for nothing. So what if the reason for the player piano playing so many 80s/90s hits is because they're so far into the future that anything from the 20th century is sort of conflated with each other? Like, hundreds of years from now someone might say "20th century music? Ragtime, Radiohead, The Cure, it's all from the same era." Sort of like how most people just call any orchestral music across several centuries "classical".

All of this, but also it makes for good entertaining TV since we the audience enjoy those songs :)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Junkfist posted:

You're supposed to say something along the lines of "Everything you do to Hosts is actually fine because they're NOT REAL and I'M NOT REAL please don't ever think it's the same please don't have any sort of guilt-driven existential crisis PLEASE keep coming back and spending all of your money here."

I imagine it depends on the person. loving a robot would be more satisfying if you were convinced it was human.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Doorknob Slobber posted:

loving a robot would be more satisfying if you were convinced it was human.

Square.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I imagine it depends on the person. loving a robot would be more satisfying if you were convinced it was human.
Agreed 110%.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Zaphod42 posted:

All of this, but also it makes for good entertaining TV since we the audience enjoy those songs :)

Yeah, they've got full product-placement forgiveness from me when it comes to the score.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol some dude on reddit noticed two blatant and obvious detail that destroys 2 timelines.

1. Dolores hallucinates MiB before running and encounting Bill and Ted

2. Stubbs the control room operator was there and the same age both times when MiB requested pyro effects AND when Dolores was with Bill and Ted.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

Dolores hallucinates MiB and runs off. In another scene, a Dolores stumbles upon Bill and Ted. I interpret the scene the same way you do, but it's completely possible that it's not the same Dolores that runs off from the farm and then runs into William and Logan. (but again, I personally do think it is the same Dolores)

Phi230 posted:

2. Stubbs the control room operator was there and the same age both times when MiB requested pyro effects AND when Dolores was with Bill and Ted.

Are you talking about the "Is she with a guest? Unclear." part? That has also been debated to death. The scene cuts to Dolores with William and Logan, but again, we don't see Stubbs watching Bill and Ted on a monitor, so it could absolutely be an editing trick to make us think they're referring to something when they're not.

Again, I interpret these scenes the way you do, but at this point it's kind of like Chekhov's Ambiguity. If the simultaneity is vague in Act 1, then there must be a surprise in Act 2.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Lol some dude on reddit noticed two blatant and obvious detail that destroys 2 timelines.

Considering the editing in this show I'm not sure how scene order can be pointed to as proof of anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's also the "stubbs is a robot" red herring (that the show itself lampshaded with "its my backstory") which would solve the problem of him being the same age.

But yeah I don't buy the two timelines.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I do say, I am getting a little more on the fence with this.

It would be tricky editing but not really cheating if the above poster is right, and the scene of her hallucinating him and returning to the farm were not in sync.

Honestly the thing that has made me get on board with the possibility is this: The gunfight is supposed to happen once a week. This was firmly established. Yet after we see dozens of drawings of the hazmat suits being made, presumably one a day but maybe longer; she's shocked to find them. Then, on top of that, it is suggested she's now died in the big gunfight several times, so she can learn about the "other side." Which means several weeks maybe have passed.

Unless inflation is REALLY hilarious I don't know if white OR black hat come off as the kind of people who would dump the insane millions needed to spend a few months in the park. This one thing doesn't add up.

Plus the more I think about it the more it plays in to the very symbolic automatic piano; we assumed just because it was early automation, but I think the endlessly repeating nature is more the point, now. We'll have to see, but this one thing is making me start to think that, actually, white hat / black hat / Dolores v?.? are hanging out in another timeline from the rest. You've won me over to the possibility internet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sticklefifer posted:

It's because you remember the little things. That's why you come back. So when you're here for your best man's bachelor party and you're all piss hammered and scream out at the piano robot to play Layla, all your friends get to laugh at the absurdity of the request and you move on and order another round. But 10 minutes go by and you realise that motherfucker is playing Layla. He's playing an old timey piano version of Layla. That just adds to your experience.

It'd be hilarious if they just considered 80/90's music to be the same as vaudville and ragtime though.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I also agree that scene order doesn't definitively prove anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

tooterfish posted:

This is a good spot.

It's also worth noting that in episode 1, Bernard's opening dialogue with Dolores mirrors her dialogue with security guy later on in the episode exactly word for word.

Probably a standard diagnostic

• Locked thread