Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

Also they were cagey all season about where the show took place for whatever reason. It could have been in a miniature shrunken world, or a VR sim, or anything. We had no idea what the limits were of the tech, and the location has become one of the central mysteries. Even after the season there's still theories that the park is in the American West, a tropical island that's been re-engineered, a space station, or another planet.

Don't forget in a pressure dome at the bottom of the ocean, although I guess astronomical positions that can be measured from inside the park become relevant to the plot. You have to admit that it's weird that the park could have so much real-world America sectioned off in a controlled environment where not even birds can get inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't forget in a pressure dome at the bottom of the ocean, although I guess astronomical positions that can be measured from inside the park become relevant to the plot. You have to admit that it's weird that the park could have so much real-world America sectioned off in a controlled environment where not even birds can get inside.

And in he same facility they can have samurai world which is presumably as large but a completely distinct area.

And based on park numbering other parks. It really makes no sense unless elevation and the sky are illusions somehow.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope we never find out. It's for the best that way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Anticheese posted:

What about Medieval World and Romeworld?

Given the reactions of the other characters to the Samurai equipment at the end of the last season, I get the sense that Westworld is the only park currently in operation and "Samuraiworld" is an unopened work in progress. If we see the other park, I expect it to be a buggy mess, with half of the sets unbuilt and the narratives unfinished.

As much as I would love to see Romeworld or Spaworld, I haven't seen anything to suggest that Nolan and Joy want to go the American Horror Story route with a new plotline every season.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wasn't there an interview that said we'd have clues to figure this out by the end of the season?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah and i think the same interview or one in the same publication says that the showrunners have distinctly said they won't go to any of the other 'worlds' from the movie, so we'll never see Romeworld or medieval World, in part because HBO already has GoT

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The showrunners also said that the first season was more a prequel for the overall story which would be much bigger. I also heard there would be a timejump--which can mean anything from it's literally not picking up 2 seconds after the last scene to it's a couple years later. Combined with their lack of interest in showing the other parks, I think this points to the next season not being about the parks anymore. I think if the robots take over, the parks as a going tourist concern are dead, and the story will be about the outside govts and corps attempting to reason with the robots or take back over the parks and destroy them, and the robots attempting to negotiate with humanity to be allowed a place in the world and autonomy as an independent nation of sentient beings.

Or it turns out this is a backdoor sequel to :bsg: and this is Cylon War: Earth Edition.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
samuraiworld is not happening unless it turns into a whitewashed nightmarescape

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We never saw it rain or even be cloudy, so I think it's safe to assume that wherever the park is, it has some sort of climate control. Agreed that Samurai World is most likely a work in progress.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah and i think the same interview or one in the same publication says that the showrunners have distinctly said they won't go to any of the other 'worlds' from the movie, so we'll never see Romeworld or medieval World, in part because HBO already has GoT

What if the big twist in the finale of GoT is that it is Medieval World? :tinfoil:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'll take that if the last season is full of Hopkins cameos where he's just wandering around doing the "when I hold up my hand you shut the gently caress up" trick to all the main characters.

edit: oh, and it turns out Sean Bean was the only player and he's such a loving moron he keeps dying on level 1 over and over.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thats all well and good but how do the swords work

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Very well.

Just ask Ned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phi230 posted:

They just grow you bespoke limbs in those vats when it's time to go. If you're castrated then you get an extra three inches on the replacement.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Astroman posted:

Also they were cagey all season about where the show took place for whatever reason. It could have been in a miniature shrunken world, or a VR sim, or anything.

Well, there was an early episode with employees using an underground train and an elevator to get to the park.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, it's pretty obvious within the first three episodes that the park is a physical location with underground access via train tunnels and elevators, with the main base of operations contained in a huge mesa within the park. The only questions are about the outer limits of the park, whether it's enclosed, and where it's located.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
In the subtitles, one of the locations was transcribed as coordinates for an isolated island, but anyone's guess if that was a random oops or a spoilery oops. A goon pointed it out in this thread a whole lot of pages ago.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phi230 posted:

No.

No.

No!

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pixelante posted:

In the subtitles, one of the locations was transcribed as coordinates for an isolated island, but anyone's guess if that was a random oops or a spoilery oops. A goon pointed it out in this thread a whole lot of pages ago.

Not just any isolated island, but the artificial Island China has constructed in the South China Sea as totally not a military base, you guys.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, I also went with that theory for about 5 minutes.

Same.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Speaking of how that model works: I still find the scene where Sizemore and Theresa watch Hector's speech (the one right before he's anti-climactically shot in the throat by the doofus guest) kind of weird because I'm like, can ANY speech really have that much gravitas when it's a bunch of tiny people standing in front of tiny buildings and squeaking out a speech?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ive also though of similar stuff, like the whole park being a VR environment

Now I know that it cant be, but its an easy way to explain stuff like the magic bullets that cant kill guests and how can they seem to instantly fix everything that was damaged or destroyed each day

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The whole thing being a VR environment makes every physical aspect of the back end (needing to dig out the origin town, QA, the underground area, Elevators to the surface, storage etc) extremely stupid.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Elias_Maluco posted:

seem to instantly fix everything that was damaged or destroyed each day

Not instantly. In the show, we see a host repairing the wall that Ed Harris shot through.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The whole thing being a VR environment makes every physical aspect of the back end (needing to dig out the origin town, QA, the underground area, Elevators to the surface, storage etc) extremely stupid.

Yeah, I know. I had this idea just for the first one or two episodes, mostly because I was unable to rationalize the bullet thing

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Some questions about the park I hope they answer:

- if guests don't go camping or on an adventure/mission, where do they sleep overnight?
- do guests actually pay additional money for prostitutes, food, and drinks? Or is it included?
- If guests stay multiple days, do the hosts have some sort of programming to remember them if they talked to them recently (but didn't kill or rape them or something)? Like, if you make "friends" with a host, it would be sort of a downer to have them not remember you the next day.

And also obvious stuff like where is the park, are they controlling the weather, how do they keep all real animals out, etc.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cycles are a couple weeks; it's not a Groundhog Day scenario and this is shown multiple times in the show too :psyduck:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Cycles are a couple weeks; it's not a Groundhog Day scenario and this is shown multiple times in the show too :psyduck:
We've seen that Dolores' and Teddy's default cycles are apparently one day.

But we've also seen multi-day cycles like you said, and we've seen that if you drag Dolores off on a multi-day adventure she'll do just fine. Well, mostly fine. Teddy too. In fact he seems to be built for dragging along on multi-day adventures as kind of a guide.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

- if guests don't go camping or on an adventure/mission, where do they sleep overnight?
- do guests actually pay additional money for prostitutes, food, and drinks? Or is it included?
They sleep in buildings like everyone else. Inns, peoples houses, whatever they want.

Why on earth would they pay extra for stuff like that?

These are kind of odd questions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They probably just get some Westworld money to spend in game.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it seems to me that certain storylines operate on a short timeline (e.g. dolores and teddy) whereas others last the entire cycle (e.g. the ghost nation, the bank robbery). if dolores's storyline is completed by a player or rendered inactive, usually by her dying or being abandoned, then the entire plotline resets so as to allow other players to interact with her. so long as a guest is interacting with dolores, as william did, she remains active and avoids being reset back to her farm.

i would guess that storylines closer to sweetwater tend to be shorter whereas storylines in other areas are longer and more complicated. that way, guests can play around in the beginner's zone and slowly expand outward into the park's outer reaches as they finish quests and become more experienced.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Eiba posted:

But we've also seen multi-day cycles like you said, and we've seen that if you drag Dolores off on a multi-day adventure she'll do just fine. Well, mostly fine. Teddy too. In fact he seems to be built for dragging along on multi-day adventures as kind of a guide.

They sleep in buildings like everyone else. Inns, peoples houses, whatever they want.

In game currency and microtransactions make total sense. I seriously doubt they would pass on such a good opportunity for that revenue stream.

Plus If every guest had infinite money it could cause narrative problems. I.e., people paying hosts ridiculous sums of "money" to do poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably part of the package. You get a certain amount of money to use per day, or you can buy more as you go.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$10k a day probably affords you some leeway on ingame currency. And if you run out just shoot a host and take theirs. Simple.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man DLC is just ruining EVERYTHING

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I know that some hosts have cycles instead of a daily loop, and also that hosts with a daily reset loop will not be reset if they are on an adventure with a guest. But what if, say, a guest has a long conversation with Teddy, but doesn't go on an adventure with him and instead they part ways. If they saw him again tomorrow it would be weird if he didn't acknowledge that they had met before. So maybe the hosts are programmed to go along with it or something.

quote:

In the original movie there seems to be a hotel that most guests sleep in, but nothing like that was shown in the show. I guess maybe it should be assumed that there are inns in the towns.

Also since it's technically a theme park, I would expect them to entice guests with upcharges. But the "in game currency" idea makes more sense.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There's definitely in game currency because at one point they talk about ways you can make money as a guest--ie prospecting for gold, gambling, going on a quest to fight bandits and get a reward.

You probably start with a small bag of gold coins, but if you want to live it up, there's a few easy ways to make bank so you can add to your experience by buying more experiences/food/whores/drink etc.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
William and Logan are literally shown camping in the wilderness and numerous other guests are in Maeve's inn/brothel. Come on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/861801886554435584

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...