Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Panzeh posted:

They need to do romeworld with Pullo and Vorenus. It must happen.

I wonder if John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are hanging around the park somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I dint think westworld would have any celebrity hosts for a number of reasons

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Robert DeNiro as Max Cady: Now at Westworld.

Hitching rides underneath covered wagons and whatnot. Poisoning dogs.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Nickelsack posted:

Or they're bringing up BLM (lol, really?)

Well, it's not *not* about BLM...it's about a category of person whose experience of pain or loss is considered less important than the comfort of advantaged (white) people. BLM's argument is that black people are denied personhood, because a cop "making a mistake" is treated like a broken egg and not a lost life. This show literalizes that thinking. The analogy to Westworld is strained, but I get where they're coming from.

I'm personally getting more of a feminist argument from the show, on that point. The idea that, with enough money, a man can live out a fantasy defined largely by his ability to objectify and mistreat women however he wants. And he gets away with it because the system is literally built by other men to facilitate this. It's pretty much real-world sex trafficking turned up to 11, where the sex workers aren't simply disempowered by poverty, but literally built to be inhuman and beneath any need for consent.

Given that the central irony of the show is that people do horrendous things to the hosts under the belief they aren't "real" (when actually they are), it's no surprise that people might see analogies to actual problems of racism, sexism, or systemic power abuse.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Man I'd love to go on a cool treasure hunt with that old dude. That seems way more fun than being some weird loner dude blasting the hosts away randomly.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

So you can't have a sexually liberated character on TV now, without someone getting huffy about gender politics. "This means this, so imma bun it down for everyone"

Bisexuality isn't a function of whatever the gently caress "sexual liberation" is. I'm annoyed at it being reserved for characters as a marker for amorality, and your equivocation of hypersexualization with a sexual orientation is exactly why.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Man I'd love to go on a cool treasure hunt with that old dude. That seems way more fun than being some weird loner dude blasting the hosts away randomly.

You say that now, but once you both start working his gold claim, you'll wonder whether you can trust him. Eventually you'll start sneaking away in the middle of the night to bury your share secretly.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Watching this show I roll my eyes at someone actually choosing to go on a mission to go panning for gold with ol' one eyed Jim then I remember I spent countless hours smithing in Skyrim.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Bisexuality isn't a function of whatever the gently caress "sexual liberation" is. I'm annoyed at it being reserved for characters as a marker for amorality, and your equivocation of hypersexualization with a sexual orientation is exactly why.
FFS. There is a difference between being bisexual and acting on it with a pair of robots. Prove that William isn't bisexual.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

VendaGoat posted:

Thank you.

Alright, let's begin.

You are allying your own set of, let's say, morals with a fictional world. What the true intentions of the writers and producers of this show are, to us, is an unknown. If they are trying to portray a member of the LGBT community in a bad or good light, we don't know. Until such time as they publicly take a stand as such, we are in the dark.

Which means any and all moral ambiguities are imposed and projected by the audience.

In other words, they baited you into producing what it is and how you feel about said issue. You have been manipulated into divulging what it is you feel about the issue at hand.

Now. Take a minute and try and digest that.

This is everyday. This is everywhere.

Whether or not what it is you feel is used towards a purpose with which you agree with determines, to you, what is and isn't a "Good Cause".

Welcome to the world of Moral Relativism.

Things that you believe further and support your goals are in, your mind, "Good". Things that are used to further the opposing parties view are, "Evil".

The reverse is also true. The person who sees your desires as morally corrupt or what have you, believe them to be "Evil". And the goals that they agree with and support they believe to be "Good".

The reconciliation of the two notions is one of the crux points of this entire series.

And we are only two episodes in.

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

Goodness

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Black hat guy: hypersexual and bi
White hat guy: sexually reserved and straight

This point is not made subtlely and enough shows and movies do it to make it really obnoxious

Try it another way:

Black hat guy: id
White hat guy: superego

It's a show about androids attaining the middle ground of Freudian consciousness: ego.

This point is not made with subtlety.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

PerilPastry posted:

How do you guys feel about the Danish actress playing Theresa Cullen (the head of operations)?

Hmm, I just realized she isn't the president lady from Battlestar Galactica. Why is there a need for 2 actresses in this world that look and act completely identical?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Gynecolojustice posted:

Hmm, I just realized she isn't the president lady from Battlestar Galactica. Why is there a need for 2 actresses in this world that look and act completely identical?

And both of these actresses look just like Lorraine Bracco

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I'm just pissed that tribal lesbians from Vanuatu aren't fairly represented, nor the hottentots from the wilds of africa that worship the Great Ant. What the loving gently caress show. Eskimos? You're telling me there are no Eskimos? Racists, xenophobes, biggots.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

PerilPastry posted:

How do you guys feel about the Danish actress playing Theresa Cullen (the head of operations)?

To me, her line delivery feels off and the faux American accent, in particular, isn't convincing. Particularly since she nevertheless keeps using colloquialisms you'd expect from a native speaker.

Being Danish myself, maybe I'm just overly sensitive to these things but her performance really stuck out given the strength of the rest of the cast.

All I see is the first female Prime Minster of Denmark. (Borgen is a good show, and made me really jealous of the linguistic versatility everyone seems to have over there.)

As an American, I think her performance is fine; her slight accent awkwardness I just chalk up to her being crazy in her own way, like everyone else in the place. Although I can see it being more noticeable if you're very familiar with her.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

You mean that the managers are humans with complex lives and the hosts have simple lives that reset every two weeks? Sounds about right.

I love that this show has a strong enough philosophical foundation that a lot of speculation can happen.

For example, I wonder if the managers know that God mode creates a very short and unchallenging experience - you can only kill and gently caress for so long. That's why they want more of an ARG to hook the customers long term (ie ed Harris)

I also appreciate that the new black hat guest had two hosts to welcome him, male and female. And then when he's having sex in the brothel he has both men and women there. I love seeing queer characters on tv.

I would imagine people don't go to westworld for a combat challenge, there's probably a million future paintball bullshit things that you can experience for less than $40,000 a day

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Gladi posted:

Yes, And my phone literally says "you have a phone call from Father", and it says that even if somebody else is calling from his phone. Hosts are just machines with a script generated response.

The issue is that they're becoming something else, but the hosts that greet guests off the train? Probably not, they don't need to have anywhere near the level of sophistication to emulate being a greeter who fucks you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

physeter posted:

Try it another way:

Black hat guy: id
White hat guy: superego

It's a show about androids attaining the middle ground of Freudian consciousness: ego.

This point is not made with subtlety.

Yeah I totally get that. Bisexuality is being used as a shorthand for carnality. It's lazy loving writing.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Yeah I totally get that. Bisexuality is being used as a shorthand for carnality. It's lazy loving writing.
You know, you're totally right. The reserved superego-controlled android should have been the one to have the bisex fuckbot threesome. Good call.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

physeter posted:

You know, you're totally right. The reserved superego-controlled android should have been the one to have the bisex fuckbot threesome. Good call.

Would it have been annoying to have a lispy gay guy talking about clothes and hair and how the dirt in Westworld would ruin his cute new boots? Same principle.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly that dude with the black hat showing the park off to his buddy was obnoxious as poo poo. Oh no dude, not like I maybe wanna explore the park at my own pace, please haul me around like a loving creep.

It's like starting to play an MMO with a friend who has already powerleveled through everything and they try to drag you through it, and they get mad when you don't learn fast enough.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm trying real hard not to be one of those nerds that complains about realism and detail, but I feel like guests should be getting injured/killed at a fantastic rate even if hosts can't shoot them. Like, if I was transported to the Wild West I would probably get seriously injured within like...20 minutes. Falling from a horse, trying to reload my six shooter, getting run over by a train, fistfighting another guest in a brothel, etc

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Im guessing Lyle the Intern will turn out to be a creepy dude who wants black hat's wife/girlfriend back in the real world and ends up doing some murdering for her.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Can the Hosts get into non-lethal fistfights with guests? I know they can't shoot them but surely the saloon brawls have to feel authentic right?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm guessing there's a safeword or smth

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
How can guests even tell the difference between guests and hosts?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sith Happens posted:

Shoot them and see if they have a hole blown through them?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Mike the TV posted:

Shoot them and see if they have a hole blown through them?

I meant in Westworld, not Chicago.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Sith Happens posted:

I don't think this holds up unfortunately, but it seemed like maybe it was the black/white hats. Most/all of the men I was noticing were wearing them, but lots of the Hosts were wearing beige or grey hats. I hadn't noticed any (imaginary or not) trends on the women though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sith Happens posted:

The conversation that William and Logan have in the restaurant briefly touches on this, but I don't think there is a way, really. You either determine it based on their anachronistic behavior or, as William's intro host says, it doesn't really matter--they're just another character in the park. Unless you try to attack them, I suppose, the ramifications of which we'll hopefully see in future episodes.

My girlfriend had the same question throughout and after episode 2, among others. She's not really used to a show that asks more questions than it answers, but you have to just go with it and hope that the internal consistency of the show and the park resolves itself.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Sith Happens posted:

Is it not the same principle as the movie, where the hosts are cold blooded?

Therefore presumably PvP interaction can occur, but the weapons won't kill you because they fail on warm blooded humans?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WMain00 posted:

Is it not the same principle as the movie, where the hosts are cold blooded?

Therefore presumably PvP interaction can occur, but the weapons won't kill you because they fail on warm blooded humans?

Yea but what if they use something besides a gun, like their fists or beating them with some random object?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think most of the interaction in the park is host/guest. It seems all the plots try take the guests out of the towns individually or in their small groups.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea but what if they use something besides a gun, like their fists or beating them with some random object?

They are programmed to never hurt a living thing. So most hosts probably do some stunt fist fighting to make it look cool, but don't land any of the punches.

Now the bow and arrows they've shown the indians to have- that's something I'm curious about. Like, are they programmed to just be bad shots, or are they 'smart' arrows that self-destruct before hitting a real guy.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Mike the TV posted:

They are programmed to never hurt a living thing. So most hosts probably do some stunt fist fighting to make it look cool, but don't land any of the punches.

Now the bow and arrows they've shown the indians to have- that's something I'm curious about. Like, are they programmed to just be bad shots, or are they 'smart' arrows that self-destruct before hitting a real guy.

I'd love it if a Guest got shot with an arrow and it just bounced off because they have rubber tips.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Per the producer, all the hosts are programmed to intervene and take the hit for the guest. But assuming no host could intervene, I can only imagine that the clothes worn by the guests are fitted with some sort of taser or tranquilizer that can be triggered from the HQ. And assuming the guests managed to get around even that, I would assume that the legal disclaimers protect Delos from lawsuits. Also, the legal status of the actual property of Westworld hasn't been established, and it could be extra-territorial. Guest-on-guest murder might not actually be a crime if and when it does occur.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Didn't one person say "occasional manslaughter?" Barring that, it'd probably be bad for business if people died a lot in the park.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there something that said it was up to the discretion of Delos to report crimes to the outside authorities?

If a guest was actually killed somehow then just replace them with a host, no-one need know

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The worst kind of nerds will write a dissertation on how arrows in westworld work between episodes so people in this thread don't need too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

Well, it's not *not* about BLM...it's about a category of person whose experience of pain or loss is considered less important than the comfort of advantaged (white) people. BLM's argument is that black people are denied personhood, because a cop "making a mistake" is treated like a broken egg and not a lost life. This show literalizes that thinking. The analogy to Westworld is strained, but I get where they're coming from.

I'm personally getting more of a feminist argument from the show, on that point. The idea that, with enough money, a man can live out a fantasy defined largely by his ability to objectify and mistreat women however he wants. And he gets away with it because the system is literally built by other men to facilitate this. It's pretty much real-world sex trafficking turned up to 11, where the sex workers aren't simply disempowered by poverty, but literally built to be inhuman and beneath any need for consent.

Given that the central irony of the show is that people do horrendous things to the hosts under the belief they aren't "real" (when actually they are), it's no surprise that people might see analogies to actual problems of racism, sexism, or systemic power abuse.

It seems like this show already does a better job of getting at the interesting things that Dollhouse tried to hit on with its clumsy existentialism. Also the premise allows this one to ask those questions better because it's a little bigger that just a sci-fi brothel, whereas Dollhouse couldn't come up with any other things to do other than elaborate prostitution.

• Locked thread