Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah, this looks loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow, that first episode was loving phenomenal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well they straight up say that they're at a point where they've cured all diseases etc.. it seems to me that it implies the world at large is in a post scarcity economy. Like I wouldn't doubt the time being like 2200 or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no point really debating what technology is what because it may as well be "A Wizard did it".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That doesnt make sense because you see the bullets hit Ed Harris's character. It's probably like airsoft oh god I've been sucked in

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gonna laugh if that map just leads to another level of the park. Parks with in the Parks.... or Jurassic Park even and then the park get's run over buy dinosaurs. Like why are there not dinosaurs.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 3, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's probably got a budget of close to around 100 million for the entire season. There's been indication that they spent a gently caress ton on the show. First seasons usually have a higher production value.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The film has a lot of allegories to Greek myths and Hellenistic philosophy which I think is very interesting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think its interesting examination of stoicism or at least Aristotle's stoicism. Also, the the people who run the park live on Mount Olympus. You also have the questions of the ship of Theseus with Dolores.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What I found interesting was the actual picture and what did that imply does anyone have a screenshot? Also, I like that they just casually mention all the different storylines that were like "cannibals, murder mysteries " etc..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Robo-dad's whole scene was amazing and the ending was brutally sad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They say in the pilot that there are 1400 guests in the park. If it were a 10 to 1 ratio it'd be 14,000 .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Did the kiss get brought up? That poo poo came off really weird to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So does anyone else get the feeling that West World may be underground?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

etalian posted:

Marsden's character is basically the host equivalent of cartman, watching him getting killed in each episode.

Wrong character. That's Kenny.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Still watching but the de aging on Anthony Hopkins was excellent in the flashback.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I may be wrong but I think we may have seen Arnold in the show already or it's the original Man in Black. When Bernard goes downstairs there's a robot that I think he doesn't notice in the background of the shot. He's wearing black clothing and looks like a black hat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It would make sense that if Arnold died his hideaway was in multiple hosts and this is him reassembling all of his code.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Useless Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a nod to the original Westworld movie. It looked posed just like Yul Brenner here.

Yeah, I figure it's just a Easter Egg, but it also ties the show to the original movie which is interesting. Johnathan Nolan is super great at getting all these tiny details into the shows he does so I wouldn't be surprised if the first movie was the incident.

Also, this show kindof maybe has the same plot as Beyond Westworld where there's a scientist trying to take over the world.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 7, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think the Maze is a physical place within the park. I think the Maze is a way for the hosts to gain full sentience , but Ford stopped his partner from fully implementing it or he did implement it the Hosts went crazy killed guests , Dolores is used by Ford to Kill Arnold. , Ford keeps Dolores around because of this.

The Maze is the park itself not some place within the park. If you notice at the center of the maze is a person then the Maze moves outward from there. It's not a journey inward but outward. The center of the maze represents the Hosts starting point.

I mean it literally has the Maze sitting on top of the Hosts skull. That puts them at the center of the maze.

So let's talk about mazes.

Probably the most well known is of Theseus and the Minotaur along with the story of the Labyrinth

Also, the host have a bicameral mind.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I stand by the belief that the Maze is not a place within the park, but the park itself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I just don't believe that there is a literal maze that Arnold built in the park.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

You've posted about it three times on this page. You are now entering a deep and dreamless slumber

*resets your rear end in a top hat level to 1*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no reason to really make the hosts look human so I won't be surprised if we get to see some hosts with extra limbs and hybrids of animals in the future. Like why not just make a host have just like 8 breasts. Also, if the host technology is that level you know the ultra rich probably just have custom made gently caress bots with vaginas and assholes every where.

Japanworld is probably like that with just dick fingers and all that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basically.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Your Will is in the past time line doesn't really work super well because they say Maeve has been the Madam for 1 year. Also, Delores is missing in the.. gently caress it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Junkfist posted:

Yeah hey wait a second what kind of idiot executive board member just leaves a freshly hosed Host listening in on their super nefarious borderline illegal conversation?

Did that lady just not know Hosts can do that?

Even if she didn't wouldn't Theresa have known and taken a precaution?

Man this show always manages to get on my nerves.

She turned it off. She literally picked up a tablet and shut it down. It's been established you can turn hosts off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I use a analog phone line.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It would make sense if it was Ford , his dad, Bernard who is Arnold . Didn't Ford say Arnold knew his father?

It would also make sense from Bernards viewpoint and why he was confused the dad was Arnold. He knows its a picture of Ford and Arnold so when he looks at it he sees Ford and his Dad who he thinks is Arnold then blocks himself out of the picture.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I wasn't on board for the two time line theory until this week with the MiB remarking on the host and then the fact that the town is buried when they go to it.

However, if that's true where is Dolores in the MiB time line? Why can't MiB just be like "Yea, she is at the farm". I dunno Two Timelines kind of make sense? Except where did Dolores go in the first time line and why is Teddy looking for her?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I am unclear if there are two timelines where is Dolores in MiB timeline and why isn't she at her Dad's farm?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also , Ford's whole speech and it's implications as to what he believes is terrifying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus Christ. What a loving episode.

They're sentient. All of them have the ability for true sentience and Ford keeps them there imprisoned.

That's horrifying they're all truly sentient and basically human + , but they just get lobotomized if they obtain enlightenment.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 28, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can we talk about how great that scene with young Anthony Hopkins in the past was because that was awesome. Or are people still measuring dicks and being assholes about a TV show.

This show is awesome. I still wasn't sure even last week if there was 2 timelines ,but the reveal this week was great. Also, kind of guessed Bernard was Arnold, but that reveal was great as well.

drat all of those scenes with Bernard and Dolores where he's speaking to her is in his memory. That's pretty cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What is Ford's motives in all of this though is my question. Why does he go out of his way to protect the park. My guess is that Arnold figured a way to transfer consciousness that Ford can't figure out and this has all been Ford's gamble and drive to gain well immortality in some form.

There has to be something more to it other than " Ford likes to play God".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so um, in Bernard's memory Theresa freezes up like a host. Was she a host?

No, Bernard gained control of his memories. He's inside his code and his memories. Basically kind of like lucid dreaming.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So what do people think Ford's actual motivation for all of this has been. Is it just to protect the park? Or is to hide that they've created artificial consciousness and the hosts can become aware?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's more, "Ford really loving hates humans." But yeah, I hope it goes slightly deeper than that.

Actually even more terrifying is that Ford believes human beings are no different that the hosts and this has driven him insane because he wants to break free of his own "programming".

Ford's a straight up pessimist then and he has proof.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also, how would people react if they knew the hosts were actually sentient or capable of sentience. Like people who visited the park suddenly realized they were mass murdering rapists.

The people at the park are told constantly that the hosts are not "real" like how would some people react to the fact that they are in fact sentient?

Probably go loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also incidentally the B plot in Humans.

Oh is that a good show?

• Locked thread