Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They do need a new flagship. They went from Sopranos to True Blood to Game of Thrones, and GoT is almost over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's borrowing it from Westerns. :ssh:

Dr. Sam Beckett can only reference things within his own adulthood.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

She would've experienced the attack many times. So MiB interrupting it once would cause the memory to be jumbled.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I was gonna say too, they could still be brothers-in-law, rear end in a top hat is just an even bigger rear end in a top hat than previously thought and was talking about the dude's wife, paving the way for him to fall in wuv with Doloresbot.

But yeah, they're probably just co-workers/"friends".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Wait, why do some people think that the cycle is daily when they said that they had the gang attack a week early?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You just have to design quests where losing doesn't depend on the player dying. Failing to work out the clues and find the treasure in time, failing to save the damsel in distress, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My big quandry atm is what's the real protection from users killing other users? It sounds like something that shouldn't happen, but the Man in Black totally kills one of the users thinking he's a host in the town. Should that be possible, or is he really somehow "cheating" the system having been visiting long enough to have found loop holes?

Well, you can't kill humans with the guns at all, and I think the waiver only protects the company, not guests. So if you hurt another guest with a knife/rock/etc., you can be charged, but the company can't be sued, I assume.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 13, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Duggler posted:

This is a great show but I can already tell the theorizing is going to be out of control for this one.

I like goon-theorizing, the dumber the better. I miss Lost.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

e: Is the implication right now that nobody ever stays in the World for more than one day? Any quest that can be done in a single day would suck imo

No, they never implied that, as far as I recall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

So if someone buys a week, and Dolores gets killed on day one, is she back the next day with no memory or is she only back once all the guests who would remember her have left?

She's probably getting repaired and in storage until the start of the next narrative loop. She has a routine, but I don't think you were supposed to assume that her waking up after MiB killed her was literally the next day.

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only "cleanup" that we saw was when that one host was malfunctioning and they decided to go ahead and pull all the updated hosts.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 13, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

brings them back to see the ranch, the guest saves her family from the robbers and she shows gratitude.

I don't know that we're supposed to assume this, since we only see this happen once. I think it's likelier that MiB recruited a couple NPC followers and led them to the Abernathy house.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Transporters and warp speed I can suspend disbelief for, but these smart bullets are going too far.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The androids are far more magi-sciency than the smart bullets, but we're used to them in fiction, so it's not a "thing".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Shows/movies that are basically "the modern world with androids" seem very common and are to blame for some people not realizing that androids indistinguishable from humans are magi-science.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

indigi posted:

I thought the whole point behind HBO Go was that episodes came out early

Normally, they come out the minute they start on HBO.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Escape Addict posted:

Saw this image today and it really reminded me of this show, since he shares the same name as Teddy:

Teddy dies again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you watch Star Trek, you have to accept transporters and FTL travel. If you watch Westworld, you have to accept smart bullets and fleshy androids. That's how sci-fi works.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the gold package entitles you to a vest that reduces the impact. I'm curious how the bullets will feel to William.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 16, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Westworld site is pretty cool. If you tell Aeden a host name, it'll tell you what sort of quests you can do with them. A Delos employee, it'll tell you what their job is. It won't talk about guests because of privacy, but will say this about MiB: "Just between you and me, though, the Man in Black is something of a VIP."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also if Ed Harris gets to use a knife what's to stop him from not realizing a host is actually a guest and slicing a real human throat open?

quote:

(b) Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self- cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds. You absolve Delos, Inc. of any wrongdoing if you or anyone in your party suffers bodily harm while using The Service, and you agree to not sue or prosecute Delos, Inc. or any of the smaller entities falling under the Delos Corporation.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 16, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

How do the bullets work? Please provide accurate schematics.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

These posting delights have probating ends.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Would it be easier to move the changing rooms or the train?

The whole train doesn't have to be on an elevator.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Season 3 thread is gonna hate this show so much.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Scooter_McCabe posted:

I mean how would they know not to chop her up.

1) If they're just regular vacation goers and not actually psychotic, you could just say "Hey, don't kill me, assholes. I'm a guest," as soon as you notice they're invincible.

2) According to the waiver, manslaughter does happen occasionally. Your family cannot sue Delos.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I wonder if Teddy will be out of commission for a while because they hacked the crap out of him.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh one other question, did anyone get a little tiny bit annoyed about the way the guns work being retconned already?

Either MiB shrugs off bullets because he's been shot hundreds of times, or the gold package includes a vest in addition to the special gun.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 17, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I assume all the guns are magical future tech that recognize when you're pointing it at a Host vs. a Guest and fires real shots against Hosts but only bruises Guests.

I also think Wyatt's gang in the hills has to just be hard-mode Hosts, it would be a terrible design decision to have two groups of Guests fighting each other especially with knives and axes. You want your Guests fighting Hosts so none of your rich-rear end humans gets hurt, having Wyatt's gang be other Guests is a recipe for someone getting shanked. Teddy's monologue about Wyatt not being human and his followers wearing human skin and bones, not feeling pain, the corpses on the tree all seem like it's meant to scare the poo poo out of Guests.

According to the waiver, manslaughter happens. And the magical future tech is in the bullets.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

No, MiB is definitely a guest. The control room people talked about him. Aeden says he's a VIP guest.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nano-anything is way, way, way, way, way less "lazy" than androids indistinguishable from humans. Accepting that as part of this world but not nanotech makes no sense to me. That's some bizarrely picky suspension of disbelief.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Wyatt's group are probably some rear end in a top hat Ivy League frat kids.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Immunity to bullets is a very good reason to guess they're guests until there's further information.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Some goon pointed out earlier that Teddy is the scripted jock that you get to beat win over Dolores from and I really liked the insight.

Dolores's narrative tree, in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Doesn't seem like Teddy is ever an antagonist for a White Hat. I guess he leaves you both alone if you're nice to Dolores in town.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I hope when the guests do something cool the hosts have a camera that snaps a picture, so when they leave the park, all their cool moments are available for purchase

It'd be pretty practical, in this universe

Well, we did see that guest couple get a picture after killing Hector.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fireant posted:

She says "Here?" then uncovers the gun, so I guess it's implied she hears something.

That scene was divided in two parts. You hear "Remember" in the first part.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nickelsack posted:

One thing people are missing and I don't think that's been brought up:

If they can track every host and know when one is having a malfunction or been damaged, why hasn't anyone commented about the host that the scalp came from is damaged/missing?

They probably recovered Kissy and replaced his scalp. It's not important enough to comment on further because that gentleman can do what he likes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Corte posted:

What interests me about this is the divergence under "attack at the ranch". How do the hosts differentiate between an amateur and skilled guest? How is the guest treated differently if they are skilled? It doesn't seem to account for the interaction between MiB, Teddy and Dolores during the first episode assuming MiB is a skilled guest.

I'm assuming that's just another way of saying "guest 'wins'" (kills Teddy, does what he wants with Dolores) and "guest 'loses'" (guest gets shot by Teddy, gets scared and runs off).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Not That Into You posted:

Do the host's narrative always play out in the case that a guest is not present? I know they mentioned the hosts talking/interacting with each other away from guests was normal, but it seems like a waste of resources to have the Ranch House Attack play out if no guest is there to witness it and all the hosts memories are wiped for the next loop.

The narrative tree seems to imply that the Ranch Attack only happens with a guest present. Otherwise, Dolores goes home peacefully, with or without Teddy.

Pissflaps posted:

Just watched this on Sky Atlantic in the UK and you didnt see much hacking, just Teddy being 'descended upon' - did you actually see this happen in the states on HBO? Just wondering if its been edited a bit.

Nah, I'm just extrapolating.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

i think you read that wrong, it happens if she picks up the can herself or if teddy does.

But there's no "no guest" option at all in the Ranch Attack. Only "skilled guest" or "amateur guest". That's what I'm referring to. And there's peaceful paths for her or Teddy picking up the can.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

We're seeing the effect of her programming on her perception.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Weren't there some scenes with Angry Brit and Smoking Lady on a balcony outdoors overlooking a western-like landscape? So they're in a large outside (not underground or domed) facility and the surrounding area has the same desolation as the park. And it's big enough that visitors wouldn't see the control center while being close enough that you can just pop in to look for stray droids.

I hope they never explain anything.

They're inside the park. The headquarters is inside a big mesa.

E: beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

nexus6 posted:

If she is reset daily (or whenever she is killed) wouldn't that mean that, as a guest, I could sit in the same spot every morning and watch her turn up and drop that can? Isn't repetition one of the things they try and avoid with the hosts?

There has to be a balance. An individual guest's need for immersion has to be balanced against the park's need to give all guests a chance to interact with Dolores.

But don't be a weirdo and sit in the same spot and watch Dolores drop the can everyday. You're paying 40K a day, do something else.

• Locked thread