Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He could be Robo-Chekhov's Gun.

When he was being wheeled into cold storage he was definitely tearing up, like he knew he wasn't gonna like what was going to happen next and wanted to cry about it. It was almost like that weird sleep paralysis thing we humans experience every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Notorious ZSB, why does it matter that the one guy was on the train in the beginning? Teddy was a bot who rode the train into town. It seems like the train has hosts mixed in because part of the experience of West World is not knowing who is real.

As far as stabbing everyone you meet, for all we know the blades retract into the hilt when you try to stab a human. Its the 2nd episode in, still so early in the world building to say.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Unless it's brought up by the show as a plot point, the way guns and knives work doesn't matter because we can assume the park has sufficiently advanced technology. When a guest dying of dehydration in the desert needs to be rescued, for all we know they can send out a helicopter that is both silent and invisible. Until they explicitly say "guns work like this," we can assume guests can't be hurt by guns under any circumstance.

Id have to agree. A civilization that can create sentient robots, eradicate disease, and create a artificial world where only the only organic life are flies could probably figure the "small stuff" out easily. One less thing we have to think about in a show that challenges us to think quite a bit about quite a lot.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Danger posted:

The giant bird that hurley saw was the smoke monster

Dont forget Ana Lucia being "stabbed." I still wake up at night in cold sweats over that poo poo.

I think that the timelines are being presented to us in a way that we wont/cant know for certain until they actually spell it out to the audience. When Lawrence showed up perfectly healthy after MiB dangled and drained him I was almost certain the writers were trolling us. It throws a big wrench into disproving the multiple era theory. It was like the whole Hilary email thing this last weekend. You think you've got everything figured out and BAM! FBI director throws poo poo in the conspiracy fire.

For the record, I admire the desire for there to be a twist but to assume that there will be one and to contort scenes into a "twist-vision" is tiring and ultimately a disservice to good storytelling. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... then again

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Lycus posted:

Shannon was stabbed. Ana Lucia fired the knife.

Ugh, you're right... triggered

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

whalestory posted:

I'm likin all these effortposts for and against the timeframes theory. Before i scoffed at the timeframes thing but now i'm more open to the idea. It's been a neat show so far

I look forward to seeing who what happens with Dolorous

Yeah, I wanna double this sentiment. Lots of really interesting, well thought out posts. All this discussion has got me in the other timeframe camp now... feels good man.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

The first thing I thought of when I saw that final scene of the episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJ9K8lMxPA&t=144s

I thought the same thing, no joke! Was expecting Maeve to turn to those two cats and say, "what do you little maniacs want to do first?"

Also, anyone think that Bernard couldn't stop Ford's host dad because he, himself, is a host? Like his voice commands work upstairs but amongst the hosts in the park he's just another skinjob.

RugClockVexx fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 8, 2016

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, he's got the phat purpz.

This got me thinking, I wonder if return guests can access their "stash" and retain all their items from the last time they played. MiB could have some purpz and some magic rings from previous adventures on, maybe reducing knockback on those host gunshots haha

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I thought Maeve was short for Ma Eve, or the biblical Mother of us all, Eve. Also William is clearly a reference to Will I Am, as in I think therefore Will I Am. Proof he's clearly a host that's found the maze and "passed" it, finding freedom. Now he's back for Teary Ho, Delos Barn, his true love.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Meave is Irish, it comes from Méabh (which despite it's spelling is pronounced the same) an evil Queen of Connacht from Irish legend who went to war with Ulster over their most valuable bull.

I know you're messing but I NEVER get to drop knowledge

Interesting, thanks for the note!

I've been wondering about the dichotomy between Maeve and Dolores. Perhaps Maeve's name is another hint that she'll eventually be an antagonist for Dolores, another side of the awakening consciousness coin. They are definitely headed in the same direction but on separate paths.

I wonder if Dolores wont be more sympathetic to humans because of William. I can see Maeve seeing humans as puny Gods she must upturn and kill.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Hmmm that's true. That doesn't bode well for Maeve then, if no lead has given a crap about her. I hope she doesn't end up a cautionary tale for the other hosts- keep that awakening consciousness on the down low.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

If she knew, on some level, that she was an actor, and not a human, then everything would have been fine. I mean, the host that greets guests isn't going to rebel.

Great point. Personally I feel that the existential dread that comes with being a human is already bad enough, I don't know why we'd want to impose it onto our creations. It definitely is a motivator though.

If they can get the servile hosts to join them then all bets are off, although I'm not sure they could verbal persuade all the hosts. I think they're going to have to weaponize the "these violent delights" phrase somehow. So far the motivation to say the phrase seems subconscious, like Arnold's rogue programming. But if you just say those words and thats it, then it's only a matter of time till they figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I feel like I have seen a show where it turns out to all be a prank at the end of the series, maybe an adult swim thing.

Only thing I can think of is the 1986 film called April Fools Day. A movie, not a TV show, but fits your prank criteria. As an audience member I remember it being very disappointing- even as a little kid I knew it sucked.

Watching that youtube clip of the St Elsewhere's finale just reminded me how different TV was back then. I cant imagine anyone doing that kind of poo poo today, what with the internet and all.

• Locked thread