Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

meristem posted:

I'm not really up for the pseudointellectual drivel of "how horrible humans are if the normal restraints are taken off" (whatever you wanna call it - banality of evil after Hannah Arendt, perhaps). Or any sort of Pygmalion stuff. But this looks like a brilliant adventure with some great visuals and effects, so I'll probably keep watching while carefully circumspecting all the pseudophilosophy they want to bait us into.

I got less of 'banality of evil' and more 'people are assholes when there are no consequences' which I think are different things. Definitely an intriguing premiere if not the most original idea (no poo poo given that its based on a decades-old story) and I will definitely keep watching. There is a lot they have to explain to keep it consistent and good but I have faith so far. I didn't like that the "next on Westworld" bit gave a preview of the whole season and seemed to spoil some of the most important (and predictable) parts. All my complaints are really with how it was presented and less with the actual content of the show, so here's hoping it will be as rad as the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

However this ends up I gotta hand it to them for really doing a good job in keeping things ambiguous enough that proponents of one/two/three timeline theories can all find validation in this episode.

my pet definitely-not-true theory is that Arnold and/or Ford accidentally created the singularity and that AI went on to develop casual time travel, so that there are not any finite number of timeframes, rather the characters, human and host both, are constantly shuffling through time without realizing it and something that happens in the 'present' will end up echoing into the past (e.g. Dolores' memories are from the future, which is also her past, due to time loop fuckery). but maybe ive just been reading Gene Wolfe too much.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah, Ford is a nihilistic god and the only interesting part of the show. What he is after?

Some sort of confirmation that *he* isn't just a kind of host, I reckon. If humanity can create a perfect, indistinguishable image of itself, then what's to say humankind isn't just that? Ford's looking for 'God' because as it stands, there's nothing that a god could do that he himself isn't capable of. Like Elon Musk saying "well we must be living in a computer simulation, because it's possible, so it has to be true."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't you see? The real maze, was Friendship

MiB starts to cry as Laurence, Teddy, and countless others from the years start to clap

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The town that Dolores massacres is the same one Ford's excavating for his narrative, right? Where we saw all the construction equipment in episode 4?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my summer at fat camp posted:

I believe the specific wording from this episode was past tense, that Ford already did dig up some (implied to be the old church town) town. That would give more evidence to William being in the past.

In episode 2, Ford shows Bernard the same (presumably) buried steeple that William & Dolores see; so the process of digging it up starts after that episode and is well underway 2 episodes later.

So there are either multiple buried churches in one timeframe, or multiple timeframes is confirmed by this.

Dolores going haywire and shooting up the town in the past certainly fits the "critical failure" of 30 years ago (which the new Wyatt narrative seems to be based on).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well thats it then

Nice reveal, I wouldn't have thought of using that photo at all

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else think that Wyatt may be an actual host rebellion, and Ford is moving heaven and earth because he's pretending that Wyatt is a new storyline?

Yeah that's what I'm feeling

Ford is clearly a misanthrope and this is him giving the finger to humanity

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

haha this dude was wrong as gently caress

Now go find all the quotes of people calling two timeline adherents idiots, so we can feel smug about it

(Please don't actually do this)

Show good

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

...different time periods with no indication to the viewer...

There were plenty of indications though, otherwise no one would have come up with the different-time theory before it was made super obvious in this episode?

Like people were on it by the first episode with William & Logan.

I guess they could have intercut the different-time scenes with "and now, 30 years earlier...! " eh?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There was a logo.

The big reveal relies on the fact that Old and Young William are portrayed by different actors and that nobody bothers to address Old William by his first name for 9 episodes. This is not super clever.

The church steeple is what did it for me.

The clues were there, it's not some masterwork of literary writing but it was pretty well executed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

I could be wrong, but this isn't how I remember the line. I thought that he said he wanted to try something "truly evil," which I take to mean that no matter what else he's done, killing even a synthbot child would be a test of his established moral boundaries.

Yeah, killing a bunch of soldier goons (especially Confederate ones) is pretty meh on the moral scale. Murdering an innocent mother and daughter in cold blood is definitively evil though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think the dual timeframes are done well if only for one reason: they serve the same narrative purpose as flashbacks, and essentially are without saying so, and flashbacks have been done to death in tv so it's nice to see them presented a bit differently.

They've explicitly said 'show don't tell' and I think the show does a fine job of that, mostly. And where it doesn't (e.g. MiB giving his story), it seems intentional.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

So here's something I've been wondering this whole time: why westerns? I mean obviously they're remaking Westworld as a TV show, but within the narrative, this is all a reflection of Ford's obsession and desire to "tell his stories" but he doesn't seem like someone who'd be real interested in cowboys and poo poo. So what is the significance of "the west" to him?

I read it like this: the American West symbolizes freedom and the wild frontier of existence, of a kind that no longer exists in 2016 and certainly doesn't in whenever Westworld takes place. Westward expansion and Manifest Destiny are huge parts of American history, and what better frame to tell a story about freedom of the mind and a burgeoning new kind of life? Or destiny, for some like William. The idea of goin' out west to reinvent yourself as whatever kind of person you want to be is a strong trope that you don't really get with, say, Rome, which as mentioned would have to focus a lot more on weird class dynamics and social rigidity.

And horrific, terrible violence, Blood Meridian style. Whether or not it's historical, the perception of the 'Wild West' as a lawless, dangerous frontier makes for a great setting for a video game.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

It's also a cheaper setting.

Yeh it's probably much cheaper to mass produce Confederate uniforms than centurion breastplates or whatever

old West is all about cheap thrills, cheap booze, cheap women, cheap lives anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LLPANAgzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ghost Nation also have dolls that look like Butchers//Techs, so they clearly have evolved a form of spirituality or after-life philosophy since it exists and its doubtful the park itself had them fabricated.

Why is it doubtful? Not arguing with you, I really wanna know if there's evidence that the indigenous religion 'evolved' or if it's more like a little joke for the humans. The religion was used pretty well for thematic effect (and paid off really well via Hector) but, plot-wise, I feel like not much was explained about it and it didn't go anywhere important. Would be interesting to explore in season 2, maybe the Ghost Nation finds out their gods are fake and have to deal with it (and also they've captured one, for good effect).

• Locked thread