Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I recently binged through Deadwood and I'm super excited for Westworld.

Also Deadwood was great for the unusual dialogue and the fierceness that Swearengen delivered his lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

At the same time: it's HBO and they hate spending money on sets/costumes, that they can't buy at a department store in Manhattan, for more than two seasons sooooo............

Is this a current sentiment? I know the price tag for Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale is what led all three to be canned before anyone realized DVD sales were a thing. But I thought HBO had learned from their mistakes.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I like the idea that Dolores is also breaking down but in subtler ways. She's not intentionally lying, but her failsafes are being eroded without tripping any alarms.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Except that hooker has a heart of ice. Did you see her take out the rest of the bandit trash? So cold it burns.

I really enjoyed the story writer character. Getting wrapped up in his work only to be denied by that out of nowhere guest. And that he's openly opposed to some of the things that are going on with the running of West World. I kind of wonder if the security lady isn't one of the robots. The interesting tick with her eyebrow that caught the programmer's attention seemed so reminiscent of the little reveries.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Fuckin' hoopleheads.

I really hope there aren't any sleeper hosts working among the human employees. There's enough going on to not have to pull a stunt like that. Both Ford and Bernard seem to be independently working toward unlocking some further potential in their AI.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Could we also drop the MiB is a host theory? That would help me see the beauty of this thread.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bernard is on the spectrum to blur the lines of humanity vs AI, but he's definitely human.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Teddy already explained that Wyatt's followers have been brainwashed and don't feel pain. They're programmed to withstand a few non lethal bullets.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

I like the side character guest bits: The husband who shoots the bad guy through the neck and has a blast doing it, and more so the brunette (possibly there by herself?) who is up for anything including a go with a hooker and a gunfight in the dark back to back with Teddy against scary bad dudes. It's all minor compared to the central characters moving the plot along but it's fun to see what guests do in the park.

In the same vein, low ranking employees are their own plethora of entertainment.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm not convinced. See in timeline A, the MiB is clearly a Host that's gone rogue. But in timeline B, things are a little more complicated. Evidence has led me to believe the MiB has actually become a de-aged Guest that we recognize as William.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arnold: A man chooses, a slave obeys!

Dolores: *shoots him dead*

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Junkfist posted:

I predict the season will end with a giant robot rebellion and Ford will shut it down with his finger and then look sad and contemplative and then maybe take a nap.

Maybe the center of the maze isn't just self-discovery and wakefulness, but also a way to terminate the override commands the park employees have? What's the point of becoming self-conscious if you're still beholden to your masters? I bet Arnold programmed in some form of kill switch for remote control of his AI.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bubblegum Cop posted:

One question I have--Dolores shoots those hosts threatening McPoyle and he looks agog like she's done something wrong or unusual and says how did you do that? I thought hosts could shoot hosts no problem why is he so shook?

She's supposed to be the damsel in distress. An object to be protected, not the player's guardian.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

We've seen Old Bill and a dancing sequence flashback illustrating how janky and robotic the old models were back in the day. How could Bill and Ted be in the past when the Hosts they're interacting with are nowhere near that level of obviously artificial?

Edit: The MIB commented how Dolores had a little more spunk than last they ran into each other back when he attacked her on the farm, But William has only seen this side of Dolores.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 2, 2016

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I disagree, I think the incident 30 years ago is what Delores is remembering and having visions of. She was being guided alone by the voice of Arnold (Ford says "Are you hearing his voice again?")

Now she's got William with her to better hide her true motivations of following the voice / her own instincts, but she's getting clues from the last time Arnold took her to the maze so that she's able to anticipate the next step her and William need to make.

Which is why she steps in and starts leading the conversation with El Lazo when Will and Logan hit a stopping point in the scripted dialog.

There are 2 time frames but people have it loving backward.

Can we just call them Dolores' flashbacks and not muddy the waters with two timeframe talk?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I guess I'm in the minority, but I enjoy how ridiculous Sizemore is. He's a self-obsessed creative type with some modicum of power in a sea of programmers and producers. Of course he's going to throw tantrums. Peeing everywhere should probably be grounds for immediate firing, but whatever. It sounds like the whole corporation is hosed up in some way or another from top to bottom.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I also thought that having some of the staff turn out to be hosts in disguise would be cheap. But the show pulled it off perfectly, as Ford digging his claws into Westworld and refusing to give up any control.

I started considering something in regards to the two logos. Bernard only sees the old Westworld logo down in the basement facilities. Maybe that was a little stamp of arrogance by Ford, that the hosts only see the original design. Maybe instead of two timelines, William is also a host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The people who don't believe Felix and Sylvester's story line must have perfect coworkers. I'm jealous, really.

• Locked thread