Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

That or it's being deliberately sabotaged by Hopkins, which is another Crichton goto.

It's this. The lead programmer whispered something to Old Pops as he was going into storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There are 1400 guests and only 1 Dolores, who is their most popular storyline. This really doesn't seem likely.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure where you are getting this. They say Dolores is their oldest Host, having been upgraded and repaired for 30 years, but that doesn't mean she's the center of attention the whole time. In fact it seems if no one interferes she'll often die early on with her father and boyfriend.

Their website says she is their most popular attraction. There is only one Dolores, why? There is no way one model can satisfy demand. Or if they get seriously damaged and need lots of repair time, what do they do with a popular host like Dolores? Tell guests that they should try out a night with Stinky Pete instead?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hey 2 timeliness theorists. Replay the scene where william gets to the top of the escalator. Look to his right. Who do you think that old man is?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Why don't you just tell us, instead of being annoying?

Looks like Ford to me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ah true enough. I suppose it could be a younger Ford....

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Doesn't Logan mention that they are paying $40,000 a day to visit the park? Do you think he is paying normal rates for current time, or would that be gold package for 30 years ago.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Master and Commanderworld where Logan plays Russell Crowe and William plays the doctor

Aubrey & Maturin, curse your water sir.

Though to be honest Logan is wearing a froggy bicorn.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 26, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
"One line of code stopping them chopping us to pieces" is what Stubbs said.

I also believe WW is purgatory....

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So the Gunslinger Group and the Brothers in law group are both in Pariah this next episode. With bonus Dr Ford.

Will there be a shot with both groups on screen at the same time?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Megaspel posted:

I'm not saying that they share a consciousness while they're separated, just that past you's consciousness still exists, just in split into two and possibly shared with a second entity's consciousness which is now split into two too.

I'm sort of in the belief that consciousness can be a fluid, malleable thing. I always saw the singularity as a bunch of humans connecting together to form one giant super conscious with the help of computers. I don't know if consciousness necessarily has to be this super fragile thing where any change leads to instant death and rebirth.

I was going to put forward an argument that if you believe consciousness is a fragile thing, it means you die every few years when your cells replace themselves and that, but I just spent a bit of time researching and turns out most brain cells last a lifetime. I'm going to have to rethink my ideas a bit here. I knew that thing about how every 7 years every cell is new was bullshit, but I thought a percent of your brain cells were replaced every so often, which seems to be completely wrong.

So most of your brain cells are made before your born and last forever, through a process of neurogenesis. From my brief little gander, it seems like adult neurogenesis happens in certain areas of the brain, the subgranular zone, which deals with new memories, and in the striatum, but those are just relay cells. Maybe if you could share memories between two linked, similar brains you could do some sweet parallel processing stuff, but yeah, there's no real reason why they'd have shared consciousnesses.

Now I'm wondering at what point consciousness actually begins, I'd guess it would fade in gradually near birth, though being semi sentient is rather difficult to imagine, rather than it being a binary thing. Maybe you could classify a baby as a separate consciousness/entity to the new born it was, or maybe a bit before it was born, since most of it's brain is newly generated cells. An adult human can still lose a huge amount of their brain and still be the same person, even without replacing missing bits, a stroke victim who lost a big chunk of their brain is still the same person, even if they have mental impairment. I don't know why splitting the brain would lead to two new consciousnesses unless brain damage eliminates one entirely.

If you just set aside the cloning stuff for a second, say you find someone with half their brain missing, they just have the essentials left, but they're still alive and they can tell you, 'I am a alive boy and boy sure am conscious also sentient.' You'd have to assume they're still the same person they were before whatever accident left them in this state, but with major brain damage. If you could replace the missing bits with robot bits that produce the same output from the input that the old organic brain bits would have done before, they would still be the same person, if you think minor brain damage doesn't equal death. I don't see why putting biological bits cloned from the source material back in there instead of the robot bits would be any different.

It would definitely start to get freaky if you transplanted bits from a different person's brain to a stroke victim's missing brain bits. Even if they had the exact same personalities and memories, the idea of where each consciousness started and ended would be very hard to pin down.

The only way to be sure that your consciousness is immortal is through using nanobots or whatever to keep your cells alive indefinitely, and probably use some super intelligent computer to make sure your mind doesn't decay into madness or disorder. Even if the multiple brains were separate consciousnesses, it would at least be a way to gain the power of super intelligence, even if the unification of the identical minds and entities is but an illusion.

I really hope Westworld explores some of this in depth if it does turn out Arnold became a computer person. I'll be a bit disappointed if they just say he uploaded his mind to the internet without mentioning that he would have killed himself and made a new entity, I'd be excited if they explore interesting ways for him to stay alive. I absolutely cannot think of a single way to transfer your consciousness to a completely different medium, like a digital computer, except for maybe replacing a cell at a time with a computer equivalent; which is just a shot in the dark really.

It's all super messy, and I love it. I don't think there's a clean or concise way to converse about consciousness and individuality.

As I work nightshift I also ponder these things. It is mostly what ifs with though.what if you connected a new brain to digital processing and let it experience for many years as a single entity. Would it consider the digital processing part of its mind? Would disconnecting it kill it's self identity? If you had enough processing capacity would this spark a singularity event? If all animals have consciousness, would you be able to hook up a non human and create a human level intelegence?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I've skipped a few pages as this thread bobs around the event horizon of crazy so very fast...I may have missed a couple of observations, but:

Dr Ford and MiB are both at the end of their lives, especially MiB as Dr Ford alludes to in their conversation. They are looking at their death and legacy, thus Ford going back to Arnold.

Call it the Split Timeframe theory please, it makes more sense. OK don't then.

The Asian guy is not good at coding. I doubt very much Meave is the Meave we have seen, as how could she control the bird like that?

Ford tells his employees that the hosts are not alive and should not be treated tenderly, and yet he is so very very courteous with Dolores.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I just remembered a book by the Strugatskys (of Roadside Picnic/STALKER fame) about a weird town full of people that is running some kind of experiment that nobody really understands. Jobs are reassigned at random all the time, buildings appear and disappear over night. Strange "events" and narratives are forced on the people and newcomers arrive from different times in earth's history and all appear to speak the same language. The only real information that the inhabitants get from authorities is that if they knew the purpose of the experiment it would affect the results and make it pointless. They tell them to just be patient. Later the inhabitants violently take control of the city and mount a huge expedition to find out what is out there.

It's a really awesome book and a cool allegory about intelligent life emerging/evolving in a world that they do not understand and trying to figure poo poo out and find their place in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomed_City

Sounds like Dark City/The Allegory of the Cave.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Arnold died before the park opened.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So the arg continues in the source code?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It would be interesting to know which were the reshot scenes, or new scenes added to the narrative we now see. I wonder how actor availability and opportunistic editing has contributed to how scattered the narrative appears to be.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If the narrative is split into 2 time frames, then the most likely candidate for MiB is Logan. He has similar character traits and is heir to a fortune, he is interested in taking over the park. Also this isn't Logan 's first visit.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And her loop resets.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Gooble Rampling posted:

Essentially it seems that we are watching intercut footage of Delores retracing a journey she took with William during her first brush with consciousness however many years ago.

How can she remember them arriving on the train? Maybe she is having flashbacks and having a simultaneous narrative of the same events. Bit confusing tbh.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who is controlling the bird? Arnold would have the know how, but not Maeve. It's not because Felix fixed it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

Did Dolores find one of those transponders in her arm? I figured the scene was just a typical body horror hallucination of "oh god there's something in my arm and when I pull on it my arm comes apart"

No, she was pulling on a thread, until presumably, she unravels.

None of you gut the reference? The gypsy even asked her if she wanted to pull that thread.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Perhaps what was being smuggled off site was the source code for the robots. Delos plan to to open a few other "worlds" in different countries, say Three Kingdoms World in China etc, but they can't get their robots to work properly so they need propriety information from Westworld but Ford won't give them it. Ford cannot give them it because he didn't design the new hosts, but he did design Arnold (Bernard), who then went on to design the next generation. I got this notion from two sources, one is the singularity, which is a machine designed by a machine designed by a machine etc, the second was this notion that the robots have the capacity for 25 Bulk Aperception but are limited to 14. This implies that there are robots with 25 BA, but who would they be? My guess is the techs and designers.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The more I see of Teddy the more I believe he is based on Will. I think someone mentioned that Hector (Escaton is definately a reference to The Eschaton from this) could be based on Logan? Which would mean several timeframes, but the Will = MiB thing is a bit much. Without that last bit, yeah, I can get on board. I do hope it is put to bed, by the end of the season.

I wonder what the urgency is? Other than pushing the plot forward ofc. There are 4 cases of it being mentioned or heavily implied now: Delores in her quest for the Maze, whichever timeframe. Ford and his new narrative. MiB and his anxious urgency, and Delos and their stress on urgency. Why the big rush? With Ford and MiB it is probably mortality, though why would aging be "cured" last, before diseases? Don't we know a lot of why and how it happens? Though I think Ford is an unreliable source of information. He "Doth protest to much" regarding anthropomorphising the hosts and sentimentality. He is shown as a very sentimental man indeed. What else has he been lying about?

As for the industrial espionage subplot:

Stubbs grabbed Elsie. He is the only known character who could do it, he answers to Cullen, and they have those previous character scenes to give it extra weight. Especially when Cullen reveals he is a host, perhaps while monologuing her dastardly plan.

I think Delos are trying to get the code that Arnold used in making the robots so lifelike, for other parks, and that Arnold (whether Bernard is an avatar or not) was an AI created specifically to help create the robots. This is how the singularity is supposed to start right? A machine designs a new better machine that designs a new even better machine, etc. Until the machine created is so advanced we just cannot comprehend it.

Or Delos don't want to wait for the creation process and Ford is blocking them, so they will just try and steal his, and Arnold's, work. Perhaps he is worried what will happen if/when the hosts are unleashed on the world with the Arnold code embedded in them, and they go sentient.

Regardless of this I am enjoying this show (and thread) tremendously, keep up the good work.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 9, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I noticed Ford (or Hopkins) was wearing contact lens. His cornea looked very strange in closeups.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Eschaton is a biblical thing, not a reference to obscure nerd novels you dumbass.

So it is definately what you say? Based on what? I base it on the balance of probabilities that this is a Sci Fi show about robots that delights in making obscure references, not a show about the bible. It could be either.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I stand corrected.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And general hygiene. The past was a place of greater pungency than today. It added a certain olfactory urgency to conversations.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 11, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Are people really protesting 2 timelines. Seems like an overreaction to me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Fooz posted:

I was thinking back to if the show did something like this (in regards to misleading consequences, not storytelling), and then I remembered that the show hasn't actually established stakes at all yet. Maeve's scalpel threat is the only time a human has been threatened, right? And the worst that can happen to a host is to be put in a basement.

They could just shut down a few problem hosts and turn off their broadcast system and they're back at the status quo.

Felix and Sylvester, and the rest of the butchers, are robots. I wasn't sure until Maeve revealed that Sylvester was pimping out the female hosts. Elsie, in the previous episode, said that it was a common misconception that sex events are not logged when hosts are there. The bird tinkering is just too good of a backstory to be real, especially when all the robots are tracked. Maeve questioning Felix about how he knew he wasn't a host is fairly telling as well. Nolan also commented about their actions being made clear by episode 8. What else could it be?

So I offer you a theory, with some supporting evidence, prove me wrong please.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yes, some of it maybe necessity due to filming conflicts with the actors, and they just used it as an opportunity to be obtuse, rather than disjointed. Until there is an autopsy on which scenes were filmed when, we won't know.

The new logo (logos is ancient greek for Plea or Bargain, in the matter of retoric, usually lumped in with Pathos and Ethos, did somebody already mention this?) with the outer bars could be symbolic of a prison (or that the host is confined within its outer bars/walls). You could also look at the circle as a wheel, a crucifix or a whipping frame.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I doubt very much that Ford has sent Host out as replacements for people he probably knows very little (I will probably be wrong but they would be easy to catch out by somebody who did know them intimately).

Also those people saying "I tole ye so," there is so much poo poo thrown around in this thread some of it will stick, getting one thing right is like a broken clock being right twice a day. Are your theories a parcel that makes narrative sense when taken together or just random "I reckon X could be Y."?

The host that Ford is printing doesn't have a female boob on the finished chest (we have been shown many times that girl hosts have printed boobs) . And Elsie is tiny, probably what 5 foot? It's much to big to be her.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The butchers are Hosts. If the head of behaviour can be a host, any of the staff can be. It would be a lot more cost efficient and secure. "I really need this job" keeps them in line. That means the whole Maeve situation is by design. Ford or Arnold or a third actor?

That host that was being printed in the basement was an implication.

We also see a scene (in the preview) with Bernard, Charlotte, Ford and Stubbs, standing around Theresa 's body on a slab. With a voice over of Bernard asking "Why did you make me kill her?" That does not look like a cover up to me. Unless...he just blames an angry rejected lover. Not sure what that would accomplish though.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 14, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I've read somewhere that people think the half finished mechanical host in Ford's flashback is Logan. Similar facial hair but I don't see it. It isn't is it?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
MiB is opening the tops of the old hosts heads and doing something. Makes me wonder if there was a larger role for Kissy.

That's what he did to Delores in the barn. Rape was just implied.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He pulls out his knife....to rape her? I don't think so. "Cuts deep" suggests he is doing something to them.

Oh and Delores escapes the farm massacre on horse. She arrives in William 's camp on foot. Perhaps she ate the horse? We will never know.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Old dad was only old dad for 10 year previous to going off the reservation. Before that he was the professor, cult leader, Shakespear quoter and cannibal to boot. This would be 20+ years into william's future.

Who was Issa Rose?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Game, a movie by David Fincher, ends exactly like that.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What are the odds that Sizemore will be a lazy bastard and reuse Abernathy's old build?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I agree with their identification of Wyatt. The evidence points to her and it would make a lot of thematic sense. I also get the feeling that this season is the prelude to The Main Narrative, with origin stories for the villains, the heroes and the incidental characters.

Ed Harris is on board for Season 2, what are the odds on a teaser or trailer with him saying: "I'm going to finish what I started."

Do they explain what it is that they are breaking or removing from the hosts when deactivating them? They make a point of saying that the personalities are transferable, and we know that they can't completely erase all of the data on the HDD or whatever storage device they use, perhaps they are physically disconnecting it? It is a nice homage to Total Recall.

Crackpot theory time.

Was Arnold a real person, or was he the first personality of the Bernardbot. Ford tells him that he created him to help with the emotional aspect of the Hosts, even though we know that Ford is a big fat liar, I feel this was a rare moment of honesty before he wiped the memory away. In those (35+ years ago) days Ford was more idealistic, and not a cynical misanthropist*. So he allowed room for Arnold to grow as a personality. Arnold did the job splendidly, but his own development was affected by the suffering of the Hosts (suffering that he had programmed), he tried to do something (it isn't clear what he did, the maze isn't a physical thing) which caused the incident. A great deal of the control/cynicism/complex that Ford has in the present day is because of his mistake in allowing Arnold to much freedom. He reprogrammed Arnold as Bernard to prevent a repeat. /set host_empathy -1

*He told Theresa that he had a bet with Arnold about the nature of the quests and guests, creating 100 hopeful ones that nobody bothered with, he said he lost the bet. Was he lying? It contradicts another statement he made to Bernard about why Arnold lost the plot. So this theory could be bunk.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Caveat here is the unreliable narrators, and that we don't know who is being dishonest, intentionally or otherwise. Especially Logan. Presuming William is the Man in Black.

I know that the suicide wife is probably just a backstory trope, but... William is due to marry Juliet(te?). Who is the daughter of the Boss, a very wealthy and powerful man. Who is the sister of Logan, also wealthy, powerful and amoral man. Logan has said that she has visited Westworld, and that everything in their family is business. Logan picked him because he wasn't a threat to him, and says that his sister probably went for him for the same reason. According to Logan their visit to Westworld isn't to welcome William to the family, it is to vet his suitability. As there is no way of transmitting anything out of WW, this would be entirely down to Logan's judgement. Pretty much everything we know about their back story is from Logan's mouth, with a little bit from William.

William somehow takes on Logan's character defects, buries them very deep, but sometimes explodes or "implodes like a dark star." The reasons for which are to be revealed in the last 2 episodes. He also removes his mole because he is a bit vain, as shown (not told) in scene... There are some comments that there is more to him than what we see, from Logan on the train ride in. That is about it.

She killed herself because her husband was moody? She grew up with a character like Logan and didn't have the fortitude to live with or live without William. Something doesn't add up. If her family was that rich and powerful she would have had plenty more options than to stay in a bad marriage, or death. Up until this we were told she was made of the same stern stuff as Logan. Talk about mixed messages.

Or Emily takes after Logan. We don't really know enough about their lives to know how plausible it is. From what MiB says, he believes it, or wants Teddy to think so.

Somebody is covering for Felix and Sylvester. The obvious candidate would be Charlotte. Abernathy is a diversion, unless his explosive charge is disabled, he will explode on leaving the park. While heads are turned Maeve is able to get out, but she is still being directed. It is unlikely though, from what we have seen of Charlotte's competence.

Who else? Ford, creating a protagonist to go against Wyatt. Bernard, creating robot messiah, with potential martyrdom. Arnold, same as Bernard, but with added gently caress you to Ford.
Somebody else we haven't met yet?

• Locked thread