Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Wasn't there another sequel / TV show? It wasn't very good, as it was about robots escaping the 'park' and running around in the world, and the park owners hiding it.

Its perfect for HBO, since IIRC the movies hinted about human + robot sex as part of the park experience?

(Since that's pretty much a requirement for HBO shows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So did Dolores solve the maze both 30 years ago (assuming talking to Arnold and remembering she killed him=solve maze), and the present? or many times over the decades? or just the present?

Also why did Ford have Bernard kill Elsie? She discovered Delos + Theresa scheme to steal info and upload it, doesn't that help Ford retain control? Or did Elsie discover something else?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Lycus posted:

I think she discovered something else. While chasing a lead at the theatre, she found out that "Arnold" was using the same old bicameral system that Theresa was using to control hosts, "Arnold" was using it to change the hosts core behavior.

Oh, I thought that was how Delos was instructing that head-smashing host to collect data, travel and transmit it. So is it some 35 year old transmission setup, or is Ford using it for something else?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, it is a decades old transmission system as mentioned in the show.

So I'm back to my question, why kill Elsie now over some 35 year old system?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So why did the show runners keep the 30-year-old flashback a secret from the viewer? Wouldn't it have been more fun to see a 'lesser' park with more mechanical hosts with worse dialog? Or has the park / hosts / behavior not really changed that much (except for their guts) in 30 YEARS? (Think of ANYTHING big setting in modern life that is pretty much EXACTLY the same from 30 years ago!).

Or is the point that the park pretty much is the same from 30 years ago, and Ford has been keeping it that way on purpose?

Also the other part I don't get at all. Why have hosts murder each other over an empty safe (and other scenes) - WHEN NO GUESTS ARE PRESENT? That's like a MMO game playing itself with no on logged on, what's the point?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

Many novels might not blatantly say so if they use flashbacks but WW really did go a step further and decided to actively hide the fact that they were flashbacks, they really did try to mislead the audience and "real" proof has only been available in the last episode even if you believed in the theory in the first place. So let's not kid ourselves, its main purpose was really the whole "twist" gimmick, it doesn't add anything to the story that couldn't have been achieved a lot earlier and you dont need to abondon the plot elements for this, you can still do multiple time frames, MiB = William and so on but the way they did it had nothing to do with subtlety, it was all about getting a "big reveal" out of it. I'm really getting tired of this approach to storytelling because it is hugely distracting. It forces viewers to hunt for clues so you are able to properly put together the story instead of enabling the viewer from the start to follow along and actually get invested into the characters and story instead of making this whole meta-game/gimmick of guessing the twists that might or might not be foreshadowed the center of your show.
Imo it's also to the detriment of the show becaue some developments just don't feel very organic due to this whole structure. Take Will's story for example who turned into a different person over night. That should have been a powerful moment but it really wasn't and I think one part of the problem is that they had to use such a sudden/clumsy turn because else they would have revealed his identity sooner.
I also feel that this whole time frame stuff and the MiB/William plot wastes too much time that should have been invested into exploring the whole AI angle, their lives and struggles. That's what (imo) made the first few episodes so strong but once the other stuff came to the forefront it's been a real drop in quality (and now i'm not surprised why they had extensive reshots and such a huge delay). Maeve's storyline in particular could have needed some additional work, it's really rough around its edges.

I also wonder what percentage of HBO viewers watching the show, and not reading anything about it anywhere, not watching the episode 5 times, could possibly pick up on this. If that percentage is very low, why are they making entertainment for 200 TV / literary 'wonks'? I argue it would be more enjoyable if they did it explicitly, like 99% of all flashbacks.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I feel like a lot of people are bitching about the butchers not stopping her and I don't get it.

It's clear that Felix wants to help her, so he has no motivation. Sylvester obviously does want to stop her, but she's straight up told him "I'll loving kill you" and then basically did kill him, so what exactly do you expect him to do?

I thought Sylvester's motivation was that she knows he's been pimping out hosts to other workers and erasing the logs, neither of which he should be doing (duh).

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I'm confused about the 35 year ago parts.

Why would Arnold shoot every host? They could just be rebuilt. He was the main developer, couldn't he have just bulk erased them and their backups and destroyed all his notes? Or made did that but making his own private backups, so he wouldn't kill them but could resurrect them at a later date on his own terms? They have shown that the hosts can be totally destroyed and then rebuilt with memories intact.

OR being more clever, programmed glitches into them so the park can never open?

Also I'd think the critical time for money would be the 35 year ago part, when the park isn't open yet and all the hosts shot up. But William / MiB doesn't show up until 5 YEARS later (FOREVER in business terms) to add cash. By then there was a fully functional huge park with billions invested and many repeating guests, I'm sure they could get backers/loans at that point, so why would William's investment be that big of a deal then?

ALSO William was just some up-and-coming corporate worker, not the real money man. It seems a stretch he could sway the board that much. I guess he married into the money and his wife's family died and then he controlled their billions?

OR am I not understanding the 35 year-ago parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

JFC this was all explained explicitly via dialogue. How can you and the others asking these same questions just completely miss that?

If you are confused about why Arnold set off a massacre and/or the MiB's role in the early stages of the park watch the episode again. It isn't even a show don't tell. They literally tell you. Goddamn.

I'm not asking what they said, I'm trying to understand it, and even question that it makes sense. MiB said he bought into the park and saved it, OK, but is that logical and consistent with everything else we know (5 years later???), or is it 'dumb writers who don't understand finance'?

And with Arnold shooting hosts, I'm guessing its just because the writers thought it would be more dynamic than "Arnold sits at computer and deletes them". Again, its written by someone who doesn't understand programming.

OR I'm asking if I completely misunderstand it, that MiB did buy into the park 35 years ago, and not 30 years ago OR there is some explained reason why Arnold could NOT delete or alter hosts programming.

• Locked thread