Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

My only regret is someone made this thread before I could. :argh:

A year ago no less. I just came in here after seeing the trailers and saw posts from June saying it was coming out in July... Took me a bit to figure out they were from last summer.

Guess this one's been in the works for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Here's my story question: if Ford wanted to lead the hosts to sentience, why did he have Bernard kill himself and then leave him dead? Why did he seem unsurprised when Bernard showed up repaired and with his memories intact, when, last episode, he didn't want him to have those memories? I'm not 100% sure on how his whole plan fits together.

Who do you think wrote Maeve's narrative???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

In Maeve's case, it's interesting. Bernard could read her next moves in her code and knew what was going to happen. So if she really was reprogrammed by Arnold's "voice" in her head, then her subconscious knows what she's going to do before she does, which is, well... maybe not that different from humans, I dunno.

Maeve hasn't actually achieved consciousness yet (or perhaps she did at the very end when she chose to leave the train). The "Arnold" manipulating code was revealed near the end of the episode to actually be Ford - he wrote Maeve's narrative to appear like she was gaining consciousness and escaping, but for some other purpose to play a role in his grand plan. Most likely things like turning off the power to the base and fixing Bernard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I think it was a distraction so that they could activate the room full of cold storage hosts and not have security immediately notice

Right yeah that too. The fact that Maeve went to cold storage just so they could fix Bernard is the biggest red flag that it wasn't just her making these decisions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

succ posted:

Also why did Dolores kill Ford? Was it part of his narrative?

Dolores finally achieved genuine consciousness and decided on her own that it was time to kill humans and free themselves. She started with Ford because he's the one who forced them to endure all this poo poo in the first place, even though it was for the ultimate purpose of freeing them. So it was part of his narrative in the sense that he figured it's what she would choose to do, but not in the sense that he programmed her to do it.

• Locked thread