Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished this, was blown away by the ending, then watched the entire thing a second time which was just as enjoyable to see how it all pieces together.

I'm glad I was able to binge watch the whole thing. There's a definite slump in the middle 1/3rd of episodes, I'd say 3-6, which would have been rough to wait weeks between. Although they still have some standout moments, they mostly just seem functional, only putting the pieces in place for the final four episodes, and, as H13 said, lots of hints of what might happen. From the reveal that Bernard is a host through the end, however, I thought it as fantastic and more than made up for that slump. I felt it also became noticeably more cinematic from that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If anything I think it only further exemplifies that TV is getting too good to be confined to a required number of episodes per season. I think this could have been about 8 episodes. Stranger Things comes to mind, it was the perfect length at 8 episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they take out the bomb when they are decommissioned or they already took it out when prepping him to be smuggled out.

Also I assumed the "bomb" was just to disable the host and not harm people nearby.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

We don't actually know if she can or can't.

When she burned herself with Hector, she needed new skin and Felix and Sylvester removed the spine "bomb" during her rebuild.

Of course, she could still shut down automatically or something when leaving.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I've shown this to two different friends. In the first episode there is a shot that transitions from an aerial shot of the train to the projection map of the park in the command center, the first time you see it.

Both of my friends thought that this meant that that was the actual park and the guests are shrunken and placed into it.

So I've come to the conclusion that... my friends are terrible at watching stuff.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, I also went with that theory for about 5 minutes.

The transition shot from the train to the map actually may not have been the best decision.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We never saw it rain or even be cloudy, so I think it's safe to assume that wherever the park is, it has some sort of climate control. Agreed that Samurai World is most likely a work in progress.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Some questions about the park I hope they answer:

- if guests don't go camping or on an adventure/mission, where do they sleep overnight?
- do guests actually pay additional money for prostitutes, food, and drinks? Or is it included?
- If guests stay multiple days, do the hosts have some sort of programming to remember them if they talked to them recently (but didn't kill or rape them or something)? Like, if you make "friends" with a host, it would be sort of a downer to have them not remember you the next day.

And also obvious stuff like where is the park, are they controlling the weather, how do they keep all real animals out, etc.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

We've seen that Dolores' and Teddy's default cycles are apparently one day.

But we've also seen multi-day cycles like you said, and we've seen that if you drag Dolores off on a multi-day adventure she'll do just fine. Well, mostly fine. Teddy too. In fact he seems to be built for dragging along on multi-day adventures as kind of a guide.
Yeah, I know that some hosts have cycles instead of a daily loop, and also that hosts with a daily reset loop will not be reset if they are on an adventure with a guest. But what if, say, a guest has a long conversation with Teddy, but doesn't go on an adventure with him and instead they part ways. If they saw him again tomorrow it would be weird if he didn't acknowledge that they had met before. So maybe the hosts are programmed to go along with it or something.

quote:

They sleep in buildings like everyone else. Inns, peoples houses, whatever they want.

Why on earth would they pay extra for stuff like that?

These are kind of odd questions.

In the original movie there seems to be a hotel that most guests sleep in, but nothing like that was shown in the show. I guess maybe it should be assumed that there are inns in the towns.

Also since it's technically a theme park, I would expect them to entice guests with upcharges. But the "in game currency" idea makes more sense.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

packetmantis posted:

William and Logan are literally shown camping in the wilderness and numerous other guests are in Maeve's inn/brothel. Come on.

It was also said numerous times that the overwhelming majority of guests just kind of screw around near Sweetwater and only a small amount actually venture out on multi-day missions.

In the first episode they also say there's 1400 guests in the park and the Mariposa is not likely big enough.

It wasn't a super serious question btw.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly this show made me appreciate 70s Westworld more. It was a really ahead of it's time movie, and the fact it originated the name and very concept computer viruses is pretty awesome (though I suppose that goes to the book first). The show clearly expanded on a ton and has it's own tone, but more or less they did a great job keeping the core universe intact.

There actually isn't a Westworld book. Michael Crichton wrote and directed the movie.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have heard that too - it didn't coin the term "computer virus", but it was one of the first things to convey the idea of them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the maze is something that didn't work too well for me on rewatch. The clues are so arbitrary. It never feels like MiB is following any sort of pattern that the audience can follow. How did he know to scalp the initial host in the first place? What is it that made him decide to swap out Lawrence for Teddy?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He switches Lawrence out for Teddy because Teddy has a clearer connection to "Wyatt" and can also be convinced to actively help without needing to be coerced by telling him they have Dolores.

But what tipped him off to the existence of the maze in the first place? How did he know to find the maze symbol in that particular host's scalp?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

Also remember that there were major rewrites that left loose ends. Anthony Hopkins was clearly a sadistic villain in the earlier episodes and then tacked pretty hard toward benevolent creator. There are for sure other lumps and folded corners in the revised story.

Is this actually due to rewrites though? I figured it was an intended twist all along.

I have actually watched the season three times. A second time to see how the multiple timelines play out, and a third time passively with friends because I wanted them to watch it. After finishing it the first time I thought that it must be the most deliberate and intricate season of television ever created, but the subsequent viewings have made its flaws more apparent. Mainly that much of the middle portion feels very... aimless? I have a hard time putting my finger on it, but it kind of treads all over the place and just plods along, feeling like they're sort of wasting this incredible story concept, until finally it's tightened all up at the end for a spectacular ending.

Regardless, it's still one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've dropped a teaser gif on the Discover Westworld website.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 9, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Calling that "Journey into Night" is gonna be the name of Season 2.

Apparently it's the name of the first episode.

(in case anyone forgot, "Journey into Night" is what Ford called his new narrative.)

I'm speculating that the gif means that, at the beginning of season 2, the public is not yet aware of the massacre that happened.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
drat, I'm pumped and can't believe we have an entire year to wait. Though I'm not gonna lie, I hope the park is still open and operating in some capacity because the way it functions is a big part of what drew me in in the first place. But then on the other hand, the gunfights were the least interesting part of the show to me because almost all of them were "fake" so now the stakes will be real.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Westworld Will Only Last a 'Little Longer' Says Co-Creator

I'd be fine with three seasons to tell the complete story in three acts. Plus they're already going to have a hard time topping the first season as it is.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^ yeah, I would avoid this thread after this until you finish. There are several major things that are very easy to get spoiled. Don't even google a character's name!

nwiniwn posted:

So, only on episode 3 right now, but I've got some questions regarding things I've seen and how it works in Westworld.

Regarding the hosts, they routinely get beat up, cut up, bloodied, etc. So, does each day have a certain end-time where all the hosts return to the lab and get patched up, or how does that work? Like, could someone shoot Dolores first thing in the morning, and then she would get carted off, patched up, and put back in the game that same day, or is she out of commission until the next day? It seems like there isn't a distinct end-time, but I just don't get how things reset, either. Like, say I pay for a 2-week package. I can basically stay up all day long and night long and go kill a bunch of people...they have to get put back at some point, right? It's just not making sense how the blackhat guy seems to be killing anything and everything-wouldn't that take away from other people's experiences?
They never did quite fully explain all of this, but somewhere in the promotional material online (I forget where) it says that for normal circumstances, "undertaker" hosts collect dead hosts and bring them to hidden chutes which send them to the lab. We see that they are out of commission until at least the next day, possibly longer depending on the extent of the damage. When they are ready to be put back in to commission, they are placed into their "waking up" point. We know this because Teddy always wakes up on the train, Dolores in her bed, etc. If the hosts are not killed or maimed then they reset their loop when they go to bed unless there are special circumstances like they are accompanying a park guest. Some hosts are not reset every day depending on their narrative and function.

In the original movie, there was a definite shutdown point in which all activity and immersion stopped, all the dead hosts were collected, fresh ones placed in, and damage was repaired. However, the park depicted in the show goes to much further lengths to ensure immersion, and there is not any definite shutdown or reset time.

Also, it's explained that there are enough hosts in the park and all of their narratives adjust if certain hosts are out of commission, so the man in black won't really affect other people's experiences.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 2, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They don't need there to always be a Dolores though. Or any role. As they re-iterated many times, everything is designed to adjust around host roles that are missing and there are so many other hosts to interact with. Dolores is just one of 2,000-ish hosts (established in episode 1 or 2) that guests can interact with.

For example if Teddy gets off the train and runs into Dolores without guest interference, they go off and do their thing. If a guest engages with Teddy and he doesn't run into Dolores, then she goes off and paints pictures on her own. The same thing would happen if Teddy was gone completely for repairs.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral posted:

The point being that Delores is a star attraction, something that punters (like the guy who owns the park) come back to enjoy. Do they have a queuing system? What happens if MiB is due to ride that attraction and the guy before him got a bit rough and killed her or decided to take her with them across the river? Tell the MiB to experience something else? There is no reason for them not to have multiple Delores models. One going on the big discovery journey, one in the town dropping her can, another finding her dad dead etc.

Uh. Well, you gotta reserve your Fastpass for Dolores in advance to make sure you get to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, also remember that Dolores isn't like a main attraction or something. She's only special to the viewer but to 99% of the guests in the park she is just one of many.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 3, 2017

• Locked thread