Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Episode 2 is out.

ughhhhhh

Is this how I finally sign up for hbo? at 12:30am on a school night???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i did like the refernece that guy made to going pure evil on his 2nd or 3rd play through

I normally play games straight but then i realize wtf am i doing its a game. so in fallout new vegas i decided to be the maniac of the wastes and eat everyone i met

got a perk for it!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shoutout to that black hole sun cover in ep 1

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh hey, just realized - black hole sun could be a hint at a dyson sphere

heheheheheh

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaLDnl_fEs

Hopefully some of you will find this topical like i did

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

The closest Fox show thematically is (was) probably Almost Human, but they're so far apart quality wise it's not even funny.

Almost Human was great though, it was proto-Dredd and I loved every episode. Karl Urban needs to get ironman-ed and have a hit franchise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

This exploration of the show's myth reminds me of LOST. And I like it.

Yea, the exciting early parts too! The good parts!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Didn't know who el lazo was so I googled it and found this.

El Lazo transliterates into Spanish as "The Loop". More precisely the name means "The Lasso" or "The Noose".
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/5aca2b/the_naming_of_el_lazo_is_incredibly_clever_spoiler/

neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8J3nTfR23g
Maeve is gonna propose some changes so thats cool.

I'm just here for the ride. I don't care about predicting whats gonna happen.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 1, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Getting shot must be like a beanbag or something. Hurts real bad and can knock you down.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Anyone posted this yet? I didn't read the entire thread, only the last 20 or so pages.

Ah nice. I had this vibe but didn't really place it.

Everything in this show has some tie to other literature or story or reference. It's like :lost: : the early seasons.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whats going on? Is Venda say that they are doing re-shoots based on internet feedback?

Walking Dead can barely even do that, and look how bad that show is. This poo poo was all in the can probably a month before ep 1 aired

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The "can" being the film canister. Meaning, it's all done and the film is being shipped to theatres (your home box office)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There seems to be a class system on delos among the staff. The one repair guy tries to remind the other that he cant be a programmer, and that all he'll be is a butcher. The other guy also says they should have weeded him out at the embyro phase. Seems like a colorful way to talk about an interview process, but it left me wondering....

Then another butcher talks about how he NEEDS this job.

Are the butcher guys some sort of indentured workers?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Also, shoutout to the orgy scene music: NIN something I can never have

Niiiice

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Maybe teddy is modeled after McPoyle

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I also am considering what if even Logan was fake. Like, could westworld implant false memories (if you volunteered) to make it more exciting? What a vacation.

I got a lil bit of black mirror s3 ep 2 runnin through my head while considering this.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When logan talks about the suicide of the partner, he doesn't say how long ago it happened does he? Or how long the park has been opened?

MiB says if he wanted the moral of the story the guy he'd have to ask is underground as of 35 years ago. So maybe, McPoyle is expierincing the park as part of some sort of acquistion evlaution right after the suicide, at least during the parks infancy while its stock is plunging in the wake of the creative partners suicide. And since he was early, he got to expierience a very unique ride with Delores, so unique and interesting that they synthesized it and wrote it into her story. The McPoyle story - the one where you get so meta that you think a Host is experiencing something as real and true as you are, together.

At one point I thought maybe mgmt wanted the bots for war, but now I dunno. McPoyle as MiB could just be a giant fan who is their best player and is constantly trying to chase the dragon of his first time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

little munchkin posted:

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about the "William = Man In Black" theory is, if the park is just starting out, how is Logan so jaded with everything already? I guess him being a host would explain that, as well as why the other guests are allowed to harm him.

Eh, yea but lets not forget that on opening week of a game release people will beat the game in less than 72 hours. Even if the park is open for a week, you could spend that whole week there and be able to get over it/meta/jaded quickly.

But, you raise a good point that I hadnt thought of about how logan is the one takin the majority of the hits between the two of them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:capitalism:

Why does any of this need to have a sci-fi reason?

I didnt say it does. It def doesn't.

I thought maybe the butchers could be like clones or something. The embyro stage comment made me think they are hatching them or something as real humans to do the low tier work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

true

but if you could make designer babies, you could make designer servant class. ones that are smart but also subservient - they'll never try to fight, rise up, or overthrow their shackles. unlike a trailer park with dumb hillbillies that just like destroying stuff.

The "filtered out at the embyro stage" comment really got my attention because it seems innocuous but this show seems like one where they litter poo poo all around and even the small poo poo reveals something.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Right, that is pretty much what all the two timeframe people have been saying. It's a consistent narrative that makes sense from a story-telling perspective but there are some parts of what we have seen that make it less likely including much of the fourth episode.
Like what?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Right, that is pretty much what all the two timeframe people have been saying. It's a consistent narrative that makes sense from a story-telling perspective but there are some parts of what we have seen that make it less likely including much of the fourth episode.
Yea, but astroman is filling in the gaps about how it will happen instead of just the general overview. I hope they zag though, good writing is to be able to do this but then immediately pivot to something else interesting that we didn't see coming.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I read that as Arnold dieing and logan dieing as two diff things.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arnold commited suicide bro

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

False, no timeline. The story doesn't exist.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh right, there's the meta thing that we kind of have forgotten about.

I thought it was making an android army. It's the things we have the least clue about. Kind of like politics. Gets us to indulge in the low level poo poo why other people play bigger games and make bigger moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UstNBrmJFc

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75dY9e26m8E

Already stated but was interesting

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You never poo poo talked in video game chat?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

What I definitely haven't done is thought about raping a terrified NPC.
I thought this was a tutorial mission in gta? You never played GTA?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol you're takin pictures of your TV

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Re-watched ep 2.

The mib timeline thing is whatever. It's well known, telegraphed, at this point. What is it that we don't know? There will be something else that is the "big reveal" towards the end of the season, and it ain't about a lonely nerd chasing his first robot love for 30 years.

What other things are there that it could be? All I come up with is how this technology impacts the broader world/universe where real people live. Army robots? Cloning people as stand ins? Trying to create a new society? Using what you learn about guests to exploit them into maniupulation in the real world?

Ep 3 has that bot that was trying to seemingly map out a celestial map. And there was talk about how someone is exporting secrets. To me, I'm thinkin that delos def is on a different planet. That bot was trying to get a bearing on some celestial body so that it could beam data out to a satelite in orbit. Who wants the data? What data is there to send?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Deloreses dad is one of the old bots. You can see the old westworld logo on a jacket of a worker in the scene with him.

So, that would put his realization when they were still mechanical instead of 3d printed androids

But again, this doesn't matter as much as whats the broader impact of this technology on the world outside.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I don't subscribe to the timelines theory, rather I'm mainly curious as to what exactly is the cycle of the park itself. I remember hearing someone say they spent two weeks there, and others have talked about coming back annually. So is it two weeks a year and then the rest of the year is the workers resetting and fine-tuning? Or a seasonal attraction and there's an off-season? Or is it year-round and everything gets reset every single night? I feel like the few statements we've heard guests say about it don't really clarify.

If it was only a short period of time a year it woould explain why someone hasn't exploited the poo poo out of story lines yet.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Right now, the technology looks limitless and almost all powerful. But theres got to be limits.

the man in black, when he was activating the maze easter egg, mentioned how he could start to see the cracks.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What era is the hemsworth and the behaviors girl from? OldWorld or PresentWorld? I ask because that world is the one that is beaming out data.

And also, the hemsworth had an interesting take on the robots being desctrutive. He sleeps with his gun :guagmire: is that because he foresees something or knows something?

Maybe the stray killed itself because it almost killed a guest.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why would the scenes with staff have to be PresentWorld?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The staff, who age (even assuming one or two of them are hosts, most of them do), have all interacted with one another, and Anthony Hopkins has interacted directly with the Man in Black, who, I assume, has to be in the older part of the timeline. This is part of the reason it doesn't work all the way for me, honestly. If Maeve's rebellion could have been a part of the old timeline and she was destroyed afterward, I could see how it could work, narratively. As it stands, virtually everything outside of Bill and Logan's Excellent Adventures has to be in the Late timeframe. I could be wrong, of course (if Bernard is a host, for example, it opens up more discussion for the idea that the human segments also take place in two timeframes, but there's still a lot of hoops to jump through to make it work.
I dunno about your logic on this. Your previous post had some interesting stuff though.

So I guess, my intepreation of what you are saying is that we still don't know if the hemsworth and behaivor girl is OldWorld or PresentWorld. Bheaivor girl interacted with Berdnard too, so there is that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

Because they've all interacted with Anthony Hopkins or with someone who has interacted with him.

Oh, poo poo yea. So then Bernard is present world too then.

e: oh wait, the hemsworth was in a convo with another staff talking about delores. She's outside of her loop and it's unclear if she is with a guest because of all the disruptions the boss is making.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I like all the ways the MiB knows how to activate stuff.

That whole dance and bullet thing with lazlo's wife wasn't because he wanted to, its because he knew he had to enter the code to get the next step to unlock. He had to dance the dance (hehehe)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You mean like putting your mind in a robot body, and living out your immortal days in westworld?

Like San Junipero.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Even though they are roboits, you stil feel for them. Like, even as a viewer of a TV show I still forget that they are robots, inside of a show, and start feeling empathy. I could only imagine what it's like to be there in person as a guest and see what empathetic drives take over.

• Locked thread