Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah that was goddamn great and I'm gonna need to watch it again before next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

El Jeffe posted:

So it's not a virtual world? They fully repair all those robots overnight, every night? And what's stopping a guest from being harmed by another guest?

They've been doing this for (at least) 30 years, mostly without incident. Clearly they've got a lot of money, expertise and resources at their disposal.

One thing I'm curious to learn (and I wonder how long they'll take to clue us in) is just when all this is taking place and by extension what the real world is like.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

His name's Liam McPoyle and I'm sure he'll have pretty strong opinions on Westworld's milk

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

In a similar thread, considering how confidently we see Teddy stroll into town, casually passing on another host's offer to join a manhunt like somebody opting out of a side quest, and lack of an accent have had me wondering: are we to believe he's programmed to think he's a guest?

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

sector_corrector posted:

That's an interesting take. Although it wouldn't explain how he thinks he has history with Delores.

He could think he's a returning guest. I'm honestly not sure after only one viewing how much water it holds though, especially given that in the days after he's not acting as much like someone who thinks they're a guest. But then again this time he's taken off track by people who want him to be a guide, thus interrupting his usual sequence. I don't know, but I absolutely love the fact that there's so much room for speculation across the board. Like a lot of Crichton's stuff, this is a concept for a story that's just bizarre enough that, should one take it really seriously, it provides endless avenues to explore.

Robert Plant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 4, 2016

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

So now my question is, how do the visitors know other visitors from the robot-hosts? Couldn't you shoot some real person by mistake? The hosts know each other by programming, but the people?

Paint it black was also pretty great. I'm really loving the idea of using modern music in the soundtrack, but covering it with period-appropriate instruments and style. That's super cool.

The explanation in the original movie, which I'm sure they won't directly copy but more or less play off of, is that the guns are programmed only to fire when pointed at inorganic matter. So, the same thing that happened when Teddy tried to shoot Black Hat is what would happen if say, Black Hat tried tried to shoot that chucklehead guest that shot the robber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah, this is HBO. The true focus has always been in the storytelling, but frankly the money and a lot of the outside attention has always been in the violence, and they know it. The fact that we only really got two full-on blood bath shootouts, in the first and last episodes of The new centerpiece series is, if anything, a decent showing of restraint.

Side note in regards to the above point RE: the utility of violence in modern storytelling, I did enjoy The Atlantic's article on the WW finale. Don't know if anyone's discussed it in this thread, I've honestly only been on board the past few pages.

• Locked thread