Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rhyno posted:

I would absolutely watch them fight.

I want to see a scene like from True Romance where Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken have a conversation. That would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Aurium posted:

It also has a chat bot that talks about things you can do. If you ask it about being g a hero it suggests going to Dolores' ranch to head off bandits. It also states that "Her thankfulness will know no bounds."

Asking it about laws was creepy as poo poo.

And I think that cold storage was built to look like the old movie, though I haven't watched it in a while.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont think so. All the other robots failed when the fly touched them after the os upgrade.

Teddy didn't though, when he was hanging out at the cabin with those 3 or 4 guys. It just kind of wandered on his face for a bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked the boss lady being like "gently caress no that thing isn't going back into rotation" after they shut it off. That, combined with the security officers taking every situation seriously and being armed, make me like that so far there are people being reasonable and not making stupid decisions.

From the very beginning, when she was sending security down to check on a glitch she was telling the programmer that if it isn't fixed immediately upon his arrival, security gets to do whatever they think is necessary.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

coyo7e posted:

There are plenty of things that aren't diseases and which can make you ill and/or kill you.. Too much whiskey, too much dope, food contamination, poison, drinking contaminated water, sunstroke, etc..

Plus, there are plenty of diseases that are curable that we can't really eradicate. There's no real reason to, for the most part. Just because you have a cure for a disease doesn't mean that you can't still catch it, just that if you do it's not a big deal.

And seriously, they handwaved away the guns in like a half dozen articles and in the show itself. It'll sting a guest, and they'll know something hit them, but won't do any lasting harm. It really doesn't need an explanation beyond that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think that dude he shot through the wall was a guest.

I don't think that's really possible. Security obviously has an eye on the man in black, so if he'd shot a guest you'd think they would have reacted. Plus, the conversation that the two security guys had right before that make it sound a lot like they have ways of slowing down or diverting guests who go out that far, and he was currently the only one out there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet - just got it in my e-mail from the Westworld newsletter inside a "hidden" staff video:

I really want to know what's in the archives now. Cold storage makes sense, you'd stick the hosts you're not currently using somewhere but why is the archives section so big? Is it just full of costumes or what?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I wonder how much of Deadwood was repurposed for Westworld, if any.

Pretty sure it was torn down. I think that was part of the reason they're reluctant to do a final movie, they'd have to rebuild most of it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

We dont' know that Kissy told him about the scalp maze either. Could be MiB got impatient and started cutting him up, and found it. We don't know how MiB got started down this path at all. Some initial clue he found somewhere. No doubt we'll find out more about him and the whole puzzle as the show goes.

It would make sense that the initial clue was from the flashback the madam was having. They've made reference to past story lines where Indians went on the warpath, and the flashbacks showed them scalping people. The MiB appears to have been involved, I'm betting on the side of scalping people and he may very well have noticed the design on someone's skull that way.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

:lol:

I was going to say that it's now my goal to create a game with a skippable tutorial that has some key to an ultimate weapon later in the game, but it almost definitely already exists.

There's a Far Cry game that does something similar to this. An early choice can instantly win you the game, but it's not the one most players would pick.

I do like the little nods to exits that each of the hosts gives when new poo poo happens. The hill people storyline seems like it's going to be hosed up as hell though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

I wonder what would happen it you put the barrel of a gun up your butt and fired?

Well, everything is allowed in Westworld so you could step off the train and try it. I'd wait until your last day though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I think they mentioned in the pilot that Ford hasn't been involved with the narratives for a very long time now and doesn't really give a poo poo. Him starting to involve himself more is kinda one of the main plot points of the show.

They've been hinting that he had a big project in the works since the pilot though. I don't think any of the board or anyone else realized just how big it actually was though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

Duh, that seems incredibly obvious. I can't believe I overlooked that another host would just play the role of El Lazo.

I still think that for some of the hosts they might have more than one. A copy of somebody popular just in case something happens to them and another guest wants to check out the sweet storyline they heard about from their friends would just make sense. Especially all the way the gently caress out in Pariah, I don't think a lot of guests get out there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Watching Maeve walk to work was amazing this episode. You could see the host newcomers bump into right after getting off the train get in a shootout, and just stop while the guest fumbled his pistol out before shooting him. It's probably happened a million times, but this time Maeve noticed the little things. Now I'm wondering if we can trust anything they show us from the hosts perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sardonik posted:

The security guys could have at least loving fired most of the time. Especially in that bit after the credits, "DROP YOUR WEAPON" or whatever? That doesn't make sense on any level, what would a security person care for the "life" of a host? All the security sequences reeked of bullshit plot armor.

I realized it shortly into the whole sequence, why not give your security guys who are there mostly to deal with rogue hosts the magical bullets that only hurt hosts and just sting people? Then no worries about walking into a room where there are hosts and employees, just open fire and give band aids to the employees. Plus, even if a host gets ahold of a gun they're useless to them.

Still a drat good episode though, I like the way they're handling it.

• Locked thread