Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

Did anyone associate the "Haven't had an incident in 30 years" that this is actually a continuation of the movie and not a remake per say?

Yeah I felt like we were led to believe in trailers that Ed Harris would be in the Yul Brynner role and not a tourist that administrators should really be keeping a closer eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Collateral posted:

It's this. The lead programmer whispered something to Old Pops as he was going into storage.

Either the lead programmer or his understudy is deliberately sabotaging the project in order to achieve some further objective, I agree.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The plot is actually fairly simple at this point, it's just told in an engaging, somewhat cryptic way. Anthony Hopkins' character, seeing organic human evolution at its natural end point, is on the verge of having designed fully-functional humans using robotics, and it's hinted that he has secretly programmed them to achieve sentience, which will not be pretty--an uprising is inevitable.

Meanwhile the park is still a park, and one of the park-goers has become a total sociopath, somehow gone off the grid (almost certainly with the collusion of someone in management), and is attempting to either foment the uprising--knowing already that the robots retain memories--and/or has become the world's first serial killer of robots.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That's a very good number for HBO, roughly as good as True Detective s1 and as good as the end of the first season of Game of Thrones. It doesn't hurt that it was a fantastic show and should retain that number easily.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So, if I was a guest at Westworld, I would get off the train and instantly start to murder every single robot in town. My whole vacation would be non-stop cowboy killings. Maybe take a break, visit the gift shop and get a novelty shot glass or a Westworld sweatshirt, then right back to blowing heads off.

I wonder if they will write anything about having a "No griefing the other guests or murderhoboing the town" rule in the newbie zone.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

What like seeing another guest talking with a host that starts a quest and just offing the host?

And "Murderhoboing"? I need a description of this one.

"Murderhobo" describes most characters in tabletop and video game RPGs, in that they have no property and no tradeskills, behave sociopathically (especially in tabletop) and simply kill most things they meet for plot reasons or no reason at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, there has to be some control in place or 1 out of every 3 guests is going to take advantage of the fact that they are effectively immortal and beyond consequence, and kill everything they see for a giggle, which will totally ruin the experience for guests looking to be immersed. I suspect we will deal with this in episode two, in which guidelines will be explained or it will just be handwaved as "the rich clientele spending money here are disinclined to do that" or "It's just too immersive."

Technically you can ruin things just by provoking the hosts into attacking you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess it's just being overlooked by this thread (as far as I can see) that there are a bunch of guests hidden up in the hills, butchering people with cleavers while wearing masks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Unlikely because Anthony Hopkins wrote that story the day before. Also what a boring way to spend your vacation. They're probably either armored or believe that they can't be hurt, which takes on specific implications when they're unkillable robots made to believe that they die.

When you get shot with a .44 it doesn't really matter if you think you are invincible. The only way to walk through it is to be invincible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I don't think wyatt's group was guests -- do people think so because they couldn't shoot and kill them?

also its clear that bernard is trying to find consciousness so he can recreate his son

Other than GUN PHYSICS discussions, we also have a Chekhov's Gun in the form of Hopkins' mysterious new story.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Buried down on the tenth page of the brochure for Westworld is the tour where you flee from civilization and sanity in the hills and worship Cthulhu. It's important that Westworld have something for everyone's tastes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gordon Shumway posted:

Anyone else think it was a missed opportunity to have a robot getting a Yul Brynner face in the flashback?

You would have to pay to use his likeness.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No, that's our world.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At any time they could take Maeve's stat block and lobotomize her, even with her in the room threatening them with scalpels. About the only thing that would explain their conundrum is that they too are androids, prohibited from behaving in that way, which has already been alluded to at least once when Maeve straight up asks how he knows he is human.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm saddened to say that there's almost 100% that there's some timeline fuckery as the show doesn't distinguish visually between host memories and "real events", another possibility is that some of the events we've seen are just flat out fake-memories which we experience through the host's perspective.

That's not timeline fuckery, that's unreliable narration. Most of the hosts have mental problems involving poo poo That Didn't Happen.txt.

At this point, the very fact that no one can make sense of or justify a multiple timeline plot means there isn't one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure the hosts have a subconscious overwatch program running that can easily identify who other hosts are. So while a host will kill another host, it will do just enough to scare a guest but then stop. I don't know how they would do that without breaking immersion though. What does worry me is accidents. They filled that one guy with nitroglycerin. What if something had happened and William was near the body when it exploded. That could kill him. It's not that people can't die, it's that a host will not willingly murder a guest. Unless the nitroglycerin was fake and that specific host has a "safe" explosive implanted in him for story purposes.

I think the techies are going to have their hands full putting nitro guy back together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Now that I've actually looked up on sites what the two timeline theory is, as opposed to trying to make sense of the schizophrenic rantings in this thread, it seems really obvious and maybe even inescapable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I'm not going to be able to die happy until I see at least one super serious drama series end in a "it was all a prank" scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUrfiycSts

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Elsie were dead I should think we would have definitive confirmation of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not sure, but it really looks like her in that Bernard flashback

Well, except Bernard can't be in two places at once. Maybe the security guy will discover her body and that will lead to his plot picking up.

• Locked thread