Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Does James Marsden just...not age? Edit: Nvm, he's only 42. For some reason I thought he was a good deal older than that.

Show looks good, I hope it does enough numbers to stick around for a few seasons.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

why in the everliving gently caress is there no https://www.discoversamuraiworld.com

Because the proper URL would be https://www.discovereastworld.com obviously.

On that note, I hope we get some Easter egg glimpses of the other parks (it seemed like there are more than two, given some of the references in the dialogue). If I had to guess:

Northworld = medieval times
Southworld = some sort of Amazonian jungle/African savannah pastiche

I wonder if Ford's involvement in Westworld is because it was the first, or just because he and Arnold had a thing for Westerns.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hopkins commanded every scene he was in.

I would disagree with your assessment of Tessa. She seemed to play her role as intended, but to each to their own I suppose.

I agree. Tessa Thompson did a perfectly fine job with what she was given, especially considering that:

1. The Nolans are notorious for underwriting female characters, and relying on the same character archetypes over and over. We even got the mandatory "character with a dead wife as motivation" trope.

2. She's up against Anthony loving Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright (I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't pick up an Emmy for his work here). Of course she's gonna look less polished by comparison.

3. She got introduced halfway through the season as a representative for the Delos board, meaning that her motivations were kept under wraps and her actions veiled in order to sell the board as nefarious and antagonistic to Ford's vision.

Every performance has it's failings, and compared to the rest of the ensemble she's a relatively inexperienced actress, but I never felt that her scenes detracted from the story or my suspension of disbelief. Can't say the same for Goofus and Gallant, the bumbling techs that set off the host uprising.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 5, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It's not that I didn't believe the Felix and Sylvester storyline, it's just that it felt out of place in the context of the show. No one notices these two dudes spending so much time running around with one host, to various different sections? No one sees Maeve threatening or attacking techs, despite being in a building full of glass walls and security cameras? There were several points where Sylvester could've just walked out of the room, told some QA people that a host was malfunctioning to the point of breaking core programming, and gotten her retired immediately. Maeve had no real leverage over them up until the last few episodes.

Again, not unbelievable that Maeve with an intelligence boost could outsmart two low level, self-interested morons. Thandie Newton's performance was solid, especially once they bumped her stats up and she became more proactive. But the majority of the scenes with Felix and Sylvester left me incredulous, if not yelling :what: at the TV. If anything their storyline gives credence to the idea that either Felix or Sylvester was a host, programmed by Ford to further Maeve's role in the new narrative.

Edit: Looking at that handshake gif, there's no way Ford is dead. It's a dead giveaway, and a nice tie-in to the first episode. Goddamn this show.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 5, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

No, because Ford would have intervened if his plan to shut down the Mesa had looked like it was going to fail. Just like he intervened and murdered at least one person when it looked like his narrative might be shut down before it was ready. Sylvester would have been fired or murdered and Maeve would have been rebuilt and returned to service.

It's amusing that people are projecting "what I would have done if my computer janitor job started the robot uprising" when that view of events is already out of date. Felix and Sylvester made all the correct choices.. Sylvester might have even been murdered if he'd tried to alert QA. Ford was watching the whole time.

As I said, their behavior just lends credence to the theory that Ford was pulling the strings one way or another. I agree with your conclusion, even if I found the means by which we got there to be the least entertaining or engrossing part of the show

OAquinas posted:

It was mentioned in an early episode how they're screened for hire based on a lack of empathy or something similar so they don't get attached to the very lifelike hosts. Because seeing humans loving mutilated and debased day in and day out is PTSD-inducing nightmare fuel for well-adjusted people. It's why I suspect Felix is a stealth host, but he could just a be a fuckup in hiring.

QA is suffering from Ford upending the apple cart and repurposing hundreds of hosts for his narrative, and having their boss "accidentally" dying. So they're too busy firefighting with hosts possibly acting up due to new roles requiring kink ironing-out to notice stuff that might otherwise be eyebrow-raising.

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat

If China is making a JapanWorld there's gonna be a whole ton of conscious Japanobots because the suffering there is gonna be off the chain

:golfclap:

• Locked thread