Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

I'm not sure where Roy Orbison fits in but :magical: this looks so loving good.

The same song was used in Blue Velvet and helped to reboot his musical career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saw a bunch of review for the pilot episode online.

I guess it's out now?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrBling posted:

In this (pretty good) article http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/10/sympathy-for-the-robot/497531/ the author mentions having seen the first three episodes, so reviewers probably all got those.

Just a matter of them being leaked.

I guess it's screener time, according to online the first episodes will be out in October.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jurassic park wild west west with Ex Machina

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ramin Djawadi of Game of Thrones is the lead composer for Westworld.

:vince:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIi1EorPO1k

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alway thought it was funny how Yul Brynner had the same costume as in The Magnificent Seven

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The pilot episode got 3.3 million total viewers:
https://deadline.com/2016/10/westworld-series-premiere-ratings-hbo-multilatform-1201830145/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

That's a very good number for HBO, roughly as good as True Detective s1 and as good as the end of the first season of Game of Thrones. It doesn't hurt that it was a fantastic show and should retain that number easily.

I hope the numbers stay strong, this is a really unique show. Really loved the unsettling Ex Machina vibe

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

One of the first things my girlfriend said when watching this show was "You can always tell it's an HBO show because of the credits!"

You can tell it's HBO because it had a plethora of dicks and boobs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wizgot posted:

I haven't seen the episode since last Sunday and haven't read the entire thread but, if my memory serves me correctly, there were no children hosts, just like in GTA.

what about in the intro scene in which the two kids play a prank on the hobo?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's always dick o'clock in Westworld

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marsden's character is basically the host equivalent of cartman, watching him getting killed in each episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poor Bernard having to hook up with his miserable cigarette smoking boss.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's borrowing it from Westerns. :ssh:

It's the unsettling themes from Ex Machina in a western setting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

FYI - The original movie is running on SyFy right now. It just started about 5 min ago...

It has Yul Brynner and Yul Brynner owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wizgot posted:

Romanworld = orgies = higher ratings. Whenever their are boobs on TV it seems more people tend to watch the show. I can see HBO going in this direction.

Sorry Spartacus already got that covered.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Obviously they'll bust out Medievalworld once GoT is off the air :thumbsup:

Do Medievalworld but re-use the entire GOT cast

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think it's pretty much intentional that the actual humans on the show seem to be pretty miserable broken people compared to the hosts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I hope HBO give blacklivesmatter credit where credit is due. The way guests treat the hosts is so obviously an allegory for the way cops treat black people. But probably not as HBO makes the one black character in the show a hooker rather than an hero. I'm pretty disgusted with how they've handled the race issue so far.

This is such a original interpretation on the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ymgve posted:

Did someone mention that you could be a cannibal in the show? How would you feast on robot flesh?

Well a cannibal cult leader was one of lawman dad's past host roles.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tortuga posted:

Pretty sure that was a body double, an artificial version of Thandi Newton naked

Most stars don't actually do the nude scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's almost like nerds like to obsess with the realism of a science fiction show instead of the actual ideas and themes behind it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

I hope we see the blonde host of ep. 2 again. She is pretty.

also the posh british accent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slashrat posted:

Talulah Riley seems to have made herself the go-to person when producers need to fill a role only described as "young and unnaturally attractive, white, blonde woman" in the script.

Given that they made a point of saying the hosts were specifically assigned to individual guests, I'd put even money on the chance of your wish coming true.

They casted her since she had lots of experience in being around human robots due to marrying Elon Musk.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Some people choose to see the ugliness in this thread, the repetition. I choose to believe there is an order to the post, a purpose.

Finally a bloated megathread with lots of dorky over-analysis to make up for Game of Thrones being off the air.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I like this TV show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strange that people would obsessed with the guns itt, should they be more obsessed with the beautiful trains in the show?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep that's another theme of the show. Are we revealing the true self or are we changing or corrupting it?

Remembers Ford's speech about Westworld is not finding who you are but discovering what you can become.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

What if the whole Delos organization is actually a separate Narrative?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

But how do they feel about how the guns work?

how do the host dicks work?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Have you ever questioned the nature of very bad mega-threads?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mng posted:

I want a bonus episode showing the maintenance and host retrieval side of things. Gathering murdered hosts together, throwing them in a big tent for hose down, and then off to maintenance where they sloppily dig bullets out all day while they bitch about being overworked.

Could be like a messed up version of Scrubs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at all the different ways poor Teddy gets owned in each episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

It'll be revealed that Ford's college girlfriend left him for a super hot dude named Teddy.

At least last episode had Teddy being crucified on the Tree of Woe and then shot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Teddy is gonna end up being a buddha in the end

Learning that Teddy was actually a host was a pretty good twist in the pilot and especially how all the shot framing made it seem like he would be a main human character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can't wait to see the many deaths of Teddy infographic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Delos seems to be a hostile work environment

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

I think people might be reading a little too much into the line about Humanity curing everything. That doesn't mean effective immortality. It might not have even meant the literal eradication or ability to cure all disease. Ford was talking about how Humanity has stagnated in terms of progressing as a whole. At the time, I thought it meant that he felt Robots would be the next big thing to have a shot at progress. Now, I feel he might have felt that way about himself.

Also, rewatching the awesome Abernathy freak out scene, Ford doesn't read as sympathetic, he actually appears amused at the broken machine in front of him.

In many ways Ford has much in common with that techie weirdo from Ex Machina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's with all that lead time?

The show had a somewhat troubled production history which included lots of reshoots.

• Locked thread