Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Here's my theory: Every scene is its own timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I won't believe this until Bernard invents penicillin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably deeper than the writers thought about it. How do the tablets pair up to a host? Since the hosts are so realistic, you'd think people would start trying to pair up to their friends to see if they are hosts.

Edit: I want a scene where two people trick a new person. One guy tells the new person "you never know who's actually real and who is a host." Then he pulls out the tablet and puts the other guy in sleep mode or something.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 15, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure the hosts have a subconscious overwatch program running that can easily identify who other hosts are. So while a host will kill another host, it will do just enough to scare a guest but then stop. I don't know how they would do that without breaking immersion though. What does worry me is accidents. They filled that one guy with nitroglycerin. What if something had happened and William was near the body when it exploded. That could kill him. It's not that people can't die, it's that a host will not willingly murder a guest. Unless the nitroglycerin was fake and that specific host has a "safe" explosive implanted in him for story purposes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Why would they use actual nitro? Just have a safe explosive and a remote detonator, and you can pull off the illusion just fine.

I covered that but it only works if that specific guy is chosen for the nitroglycerin. They have to make sure the army guys shoot Slim and that the guests bother to bring Slim back. Though maybe there's a backup guy with a bomb back at the whatever that can "get shot" accidentally and they can use him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My theory is that Bernard is not a host. He and Ford just like to roleplay and they also hate Theresa.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

More likely the old logo is just to show that the lower levels are old and full of old equipment, and that there is previous history to the park before it was bought out by Delos

Delos
Doles
Dolores

I just cracked this thing wide open.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wylie posted:

I think they were counting on Bernard throwing Ford under the bus, actually. Just another way Ford could just stand there smugly while their little one-act play petered out on them.

I think they were more expecting Ford to fall on the sword. They were probably fine with Bernard running things so they wanted Ford to jump in to defend him, say it was his fault and then bow out gracefully.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah somebody posted that like 500 pages ago

What timeline are you in? There's only 184 pages in mine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

Any gold found is probably basically pocket change to the park's guests.

Probably this. When you start out, they put you in a small department store sized place with a bunch of clothes just for you. If you've got enough money for that kind of experience, a handful of gold pellets is going to be something you throw into a jar on your desk from your wild west experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tunicate posted:

He meets the man in black...

who is cryogenically frozen, and literally walt disney

He can't be Walt Disney, he hasn't said anything anti-semitic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Memento posted:

Vendagoat has figured it out. The board want the Host ip so they can make massive-titted anime style waifus to sell all over the world to sad shut in neckbeards for massive profits.

"Do you want to watch some anime?" *holds out Death Note DVD*
"Doesn't look like anything to me."

:negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

That's possible, but I think there's no reason not to say his name then. The only reason I can see to keep MiB's name a secret from the audience is that it's either "William" or "Logan".

What if his name is just embarrassing like Yancy or something so he doesn't tell anyone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't wait for the scene where MiB meets William.

"Here we are, in the same time line."
"Yes, because how could there be another timeline also we are different people."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

grilldos posted:

I don't really want to get in a semantics argument about what Editing is so I'm just gonna quote this woke goon:

I love when goons dig up their old posts to say "See I predicted the thing, I'm so smart."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't believe that every single person would go straight for the murder stories. Even in video games today you get people who don't want to do anything bad to the pixels on the screen. There's going to be some rich person who goes there and just wants to experience a western and does nice things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
JJ Starts things but never finishes them. I'm looking forward to see who directs the next Star Wars movies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How would Ford get Bernard hired at Westworld unless he hired him himself? Did he create a bunch of hosts to use as references?

I don't really mind people discuss their theories as long as no one ever quotes themselves and says "HURF DURF I DONE CALLED IT" ever again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Robot uprising shut down because the board lady shattered the quantum gemerald. Take that robots!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do people do about food though? Are there real animals? Are there fake animals with real meat? I can see how they would provide food in towns and what not, but what is MiB eating? What do people eat when they travel off into the wilderness? Do you have to kill and cook your own food? Do they just drop food in for you? Will they let someone die by wandering off into the desert and getting dehydrated?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Please tell me I can shoot a fox or something in this world and then when I rip it open it has a sandwich or a snickers inside.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, I want to see a fetch quest. "I need you to go out and find me 5 pick axes so we can start this prospectin."

Edit: I'm interested to see how Ford plays out. He seems very integral to the story but Anthony Hopkins is expensive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's two routes to take with science fiction. You can have fantastical contraptions where you don't really explain how it works. Or you can research a subject and then explain how your science works. Michael Crichton tries to do the latter without doing any research first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Peanut President posted:

That's the part that gets you and not the part where they extract dna from the gut of a fossilized mosquito?

The mosquito wasn't fossilized

Ofaloaf posted:

Could a host be introduced to the modern world by crash-coursing it through the social and technological history of the late 19th and 20th centuries? Like, Otto Lilienthal's glider designs are nearly contemporary with the period that Westworld represents, right? A host should be able to handle seeing one of his gliders, surely. Once they've completed digesting the idea of a glider, would they still be unable to handle the idea of "a glider, but with a motor on it" and not recognize a Wright Brothers Flyer? Could you incrementally get them up to a cursory understanding of modernity by just slowly, carefully showing each step of progress between then and [nebulous near-future date]?

I would think the hosts either have a white list of objects or they call back to HQ to see if they are allowed to see the thing in question. Sort of like how the hosts can't see that modern train. They have trains and it looks sort of like a train but they can't see it because it's not approved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I did the same progression as you minus Micro. I liked his books because I was a dumb 13 year old. At least I was able to finish Prey, unlike The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Even when I was stuck in a dead car waiting for a tow truck and I had to save my phone batter, I still just sat there and stared into the sky instead of reading that Heinlein bullshit. It was too boring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sylvester getting access to her stats isn't all that implausible. Anytime you get a bureaucracy as big as you would need for Westworld, it's pretty easy for someone to lie their way into getting access to something. I've accidentally done it before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With the minotaur and the other people showing up, could this be a leak of Medieval or Roman world?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just don't understand how MiB could be so scary to his family unless he had been going full psycho in Westworld and they knew about it. His backstory seems to say that he didn't start dipping into the ultraviolent until after his wife died.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When Elsie goes down to that other body shop guy, she pulls up video of him boning a host. Perhaps someone does know what's going on but they are letting it go to blackmail them later. Also, there's the thing where if you look like you're doing something important, no one will bother you. If you look the part and you walk around somewhere with a clipboard and write things down, people will assume that you're OK to do that. Not to mention, most people don't like unnecessary confrontation. So it looks super loving obvious to us, to anyone else working there, it looks like they are just doing standard testing or something. Some peon in another department probably won't know the scope of what the bodyshop guys can and can't do. The only people who might know something is up are security people and like I mentioned before, they might hold back on that stuff to keep dirt on various employees.

For all we know, it could be the board. They could use Maeve going nuts as a way to get rid of Ford. Sweep the two techs under the rug and say "wow, this host went rogue and we can't control her. This is all your fault."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Listen dude (or lady? I can't tell), I don't see any kind of identifying features because I'm not a bigot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Ford was surprised that the kid version of him wandered into the part of the park he planned on digging back up. He told him never to come back because he was about to dig that town back up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If Bernard is a host, is it possible for other hosts to kill him? Going down to see a rogue host in the basement might not have been as safe as he thought.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that depends on how the hosts detect each other.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't seen anyone mention that he was also in Boardwalk Empire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Also do you think the male hosts can just get a boner instantly or do they have to like, work at it

The host actually mumbles "boner activated" when they get one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Xealot posted:

I wonder how Westworld interprets prejudice, in general. Because westerns are racist, sexist, and homophobic as gently caress...if it's about verisimilitude, there'd be tons of racist douchebag hosts running around. And who knows how different guests would react to that. For every guest who's super offended, I imagine others might be super into it. Punking some racist cowboy as part of a quest would probably be pretty cathartic.

Though, I bet Hector has some straight-baiting protocols for gay male guests. "Couldn't've pulled the heist without you, Dan. I ain't never had a friend like you...never felt this way about nobody before..." *makes long eye contact across campfire*

I would assume that the hosts just see the guests as people. I'm sure people would be pissed off if they go to the park and some host complains that you're in the saloon because chinamen need to stay on their side of town or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What I don't get is when do the stories get reset? Do new people come in every day? Or is it like a week long package where you come in and everything is reset to the beginning of the storyline. Does Dolores' family get murdered every night?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm currently doing a rewatch of the show so far. I'm on episode 4. I'm seeing lots of new stuff. Not like "OH WOW ALL MY THEORIES ARE RIGHT" kind of stuff. Just like "wow, I hadn't noticed that before" stuff. They definitely make it ambiguous about Dolores though. In the map room, someone mentions that Dolores is off her loop. What's his face asks if she is with guests, but the lady can't tell. He says to flag her for retrieval. Then the next scene is some guy trying to bring her back. Is that guy a host or a real person? If they were retrieving her, wouldn't they just pause everyone and then go get her? Or was that guy just a kind of overwatch host who keeps an eye out for other missing hosts and asks them if they are lost?

I'm interested in seeing the part where Elsie disappears. I thought Bernard was at the HQ so I don't know how he would strangle her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I would have liked them to spend a fee minutes with Maeve and Felix where Felix determines she is fully concious and decides to help her based on that. Like maybe she passes a special touring test and Felix gets really excited about the first truly sentient machine that he feels obligated to protect.

Is that where she tours around the facility and then Felix tests her on what she saw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They show them photos of the world outside the park.

I would not shoot a high speed train. I would not shoot it in the brain.

• Locked thread