Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did I miss something? Why are people even wondering if it's VR or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not that unbelievable. Disney is a no fly zone, and so is any stadium with a large event going on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure we'll see reset time in an upcoming episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guns are probably not real. They fire some kind of projectile because you could see things hit Ed Harris, but they're not bullets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrMojok posted:

It's cold storage, they said. I'm sure they pulled new robot Dad out of there when they retired malfunctioning Dad.

Boy Bill, that old model Hopkins had fired up down there was creepy, wasn't he? The herky--jerky movment, the little sounds of servos and poo poo when he moved, that face...

New dad was the bartender who got shot I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

While watching, I sort of predicted-to-myself that the AI's would start showing signs of Rampancy due to that upgrade giving them access to a "subconscious" of their past experiences. My take was that it was done on purpose by Anthony Hopkins, however, as a sort of petri dish experiment to push their realism and AI qualities outside parameters. The way he talked about Humans having gotten as good as they're going to get pointed me in that direction, and I still felt that way when he gave his little light-hearted excuse about making an occasional mistake to his head programmer. Like, sure dude, you make mistakes all the time...?

When Anthony Hopkins interviewed Robo-Dad, I was less sure, because everything in that scene seemed to be quite unexpected to everyone. That doesn't mean Hopkins didn't do it on purpose, but perhaps he didn't have a very good idea of what the effects would wind up being on his creations.

One minor nitpick: If the robots have their memory banks wiped after every narrative/day is completed, it's a little bit of a stretch for me that the subconscious memory recall thing would reach all the way back to include every single past life they've had. If this feature had just been added, what on Earth would be the point of putting that much storage into the robots head. Like, imagine the terabytes of data that each day's collective experience would create every single time. You'd wipe all that poo poo clean each time, not leave it floating around in limbo and rewrite it endlessly for 30 years.

This is why we defragment our hard drives, people.

That takes forever, just Ctrl+A Delete and get them back out there. We're running behind!

VendaGoat posted:

This is something I would like to discuss.

Teddy actually fired on a human being. No other host has done that yet. Hell, even pointing a weapon at a human seems difficult for them, but Teddy blazed away on Ed Harris.

The only time Teddy couldn't fire was when Ed forcibly placed the gun to his head.

The crack shot albino, with the desperado that robbed the saloon, couldn't even bring her weapon to bear on the tin horn city slicker. After killing half the town.

I'm wondering where the line is drawn.

Later in the episode they even outright say that a host can't shoot at a guest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's actually an article with some producer quotes that actually answer a few smaller questions people have had.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/11-rules-of-westworld-hbos-killer-robot-theme-park-series/

Real guns, special bullets.

Guests have to sign an extensive liability waiver.

They envision Westworld to have been around so long it's basically Disney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

Because if you have half a brain you'd pick up on one of the dozen or so examples in the show that spell it out rather obviously.

Like when the characters called him a guest 2 episodes ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What if we, the viewers are actually hosts?

I do die frequently upon reading this thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Argus Zant posted:

why is the maze printed on the coffin lid

The maze is supposed to be at the "end", and the front where the coffin is headed is way out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the preview before the episode started spoiled something big.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Wait so was that host-Arnold or Ford's father?

It's Ford's family, designed by Arnold as a gift in the early days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

What makes you think it was arnold that created them and that they were a gift?

Ford said both of those things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I suppose it's possible the photo is Ford, his dad, and Arnold. But Bernard doesn't see Arnold in it, hence the odd framing with an empty third.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

Maeve: ok put in iddqd

Tech idiots: ya ok

Even before her tour, he's literally holding the remote to her and lets her boss him around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

elaborate

He has brain damage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

I don't really get this. He goes all "doesn't look like anything" if he sees himself in a photograph?

Well, it's just a guess now obviously.

But it doesn't seem too crazy to think that if Bernard is indeed a host copy of Arnold, that he's programmed not to notice photos of Arnold.

Especially if Ford keeps one sitting on his desk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tellah posted:

Did Ford also machine up a copy of Arnold's ex-wife?

They can make AI robots, I'm sure they can come up with an AI for a video call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

Is the new Clementine the girl from Banshee who spent 90% of the show naked? Glad she isn't getting typecast.

Yes.

And True Detective.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Wait is that girl with Toby and MiB, the girl that was the nerdy guy's initial guide?

Yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's another 30.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Wait wouldn't Bernard's Good Samaritan crap kick in and force him to defeat other robot?

I would assume Bernard doesn't have that so it doesn't lead to situations that expose him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Wait, Dolores is the oldest in the park. She is constantly rebuilt so I wouldn't be surprised if she is just a refurbished model running around with a bunch of high techs.

Maybe, but the photo is the real evidence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are we getting the other photo reveal?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Abernathy was in the background. So when did Abernathy go down, when did Delores wake up. If so is her awakening happening in the same Bernard/Ford timeline. So we either have 2 or 3 timelines.

Dolores in William's story is remembering the early days of the park, and we've also seen Dolores in the present story though possibly only in the first episode or two?

(If all this timeline stuff is true, which seems pretty drat likely now.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yep, there we go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

William is in the present!

I think we're seeing present Dolores flashing back to William time Dolores who flashed back to Arnold time Dolores.

Her stomach wound is gone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grem posted:

Yea, her shirt was spotless even if it wasn't ripped in the initial cutting. Dunno when she put those clothes on, and what the gently caress isn't that church supposed to be under sand in all the timeframes except the very first?

Ford has been digging it up for his new story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think we may have seen more present day Dolores than expected, and a lot of those weird visions she's having of things appearing and disappearing might just be between the two.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

frgildan posted:

So I get the feeling that the robot being built in the basement is an Elsie replacement. Someone he can promote and replace Bernard.

It would make sense. Elsie's absence excuse has a time limit on it, the Ford we've seen would do something more permanent if that was the plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So I guess there was a fair amount after Clementine shot Ed Harris? My DVR cut off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Woah. Yes. You missed 30 minutes or so.

No, this was at the 90 minute mark. After Ford had just been shot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh, I thought you meant the earlier time he was shot. My mistake.

Just a brief post-credits scene where the snake-tattoo lady charged some guards.

What happened to William then? Did they finish him off, or did it cut to credits after he got shot in the arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay cool, not a lot then. The recording ended with him looking at his arm.

• Locked thread