Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Due to the recent thread about the guy who stepped on his kitten, I thought maybe it would be cool to have a thread where we can all share stories about pets we accidentally killed. Sometimes it's cathartic for a community to share stories of loss when confronted with tragedy. This isn't a mean thread; I'd like for this to be a place of healing. Please do not shame fellow pet killers in this thread. It happens. Pets are fragile. We do the best we can.

I'll start: I had a pair of fire belly newts when I was a kid. One time I left the lid on their aquarium ajar, and they used their squishy leech-man feet to climb up the glass and escape. I only ever found one of them; weeks later I moved my dresser from the wall and discovered its dried out corpse. I was terribly sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
When I was 10 I accidentally killed my 4 red fishes by giving them way too much food. Woke up the next morning to find them dead in the water, was shocking.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Ive killed fishes before. I tried really hard with the last fish I had but it was a big sideways goldfish that had been kept in a too small tank forever before a family friend sloughed him off on me. I retanked him into a freaking 40 gallon, but no matter how I hosed with the tank chemistry and how many drat peas I fed the thing he just wouldn't straighten up & eventually he went permanently upside down

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My goldfish died and I added new goldfish to the tank before washing it out or anything. You'd be amazed how many times that can repeat itself before it occurs to you it might be a bad idea.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Fish are so easy to kill

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm the worst at keeping fish. If it can't make noise to bother me when it needs something then I'm terrible at it. I am also terrible at houseplants for the same reason.

I've never straight up killed a pet besides neglecting fish to death, but one time I got a new chinchilla and left town for a couple days and left my chinchillas with my mom and she decided to put them in the same cage together before they were ready to start sharing a cage and my older chinchilla killed the new one :( A few years later I got a different new chinchilla and never tried to put them in the same cage because of it, they're forever in separate but adjacent cages so they can still be buddies but can't do much damage to each other if they get in a spat.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

My little sister once Lenny'd a recently hatched baby duckling when she was, idk, three or four. She was inconsolable. It was a bad scene.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

When my best friend and I were like 10 we came across a squirrel acting really strangely, caught it in a butterfly net, and fixed up a home for it in our ~*secret clubhouse*~ inside a fishtank. In the middle of summer. The poor squirrel didn't last very long. It was very ill or injured to begin with but I don't think the fishtank did it any favors.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
I was six, and had a hamster named Goldie. I decided that I loved reading, my hamster must love reading too! I put it on my blanket, got a book, and started reading to her. I finished the book, and went to grab Goldie, but she wasn't on the bed. She was under the bed.

With my dog.

Who was eating her.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I grew up with divorced parents and had a half-sister who moved into my mother's house when I was...like nine? I don't know exactly when. But when she moved she insisted on bringing her cat Joey, a grey tabby tom. She assumed he would get along with the other two cats that lived with mom at the time. They didn't. They fought all the time, two vs one, to the point that we decided as a group that it might be best to make him an outdoor cat. For a while it was fine, but there was a point where he simply didn't come back. As a kid I assumed that he ran away, and our mom supported this theory. We didn't have a cat door or anything, we'd simply wait for him to come back and meow at us to let him in since the only way in was a locked sliding glass door. He could not come in at night because he kept us up by fighting with the other cats.

It wasn't until I moved back into the area much later to have an apartment that I realized how many loving coyotes are around there, like holy poo poo. I would literally run into them on my way to the car in the morning and they are super interested in whatever the hell leftovers I am dragging to work for breakfast. Pretty much any 'lost small dog' or 'lost cat' critters are assumed to have been a good meal for one of them, or maybe a hawk. That's assuming they weren't hit by a car on the massive roadway nearby.

We probably locked that cat outside which resulted in his demise. The only real thing that supports this theory is how fast my mom got my little sister a new kitten, like the next day sort of deal. She ended up being with us for many years.

Of course, there were plenty of fish that we went through as well when we were little. It happened so often my stepmother banned any pet fish in the house at some point.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
In seventh grade, when I was like eleven, we had a science class that had us creating an aquarium out of a two-liter soda bottle, a semi-closed environment with live plants, rocks, and those small, cheap guppy fish. I think we were allowed to open it up once every two weeks or so to clean or remove the fishes' dead bodies or whatever and I was at the sink doing just that. I took the top off and slowly started pouring the water out being as careful as I could. Somehow, oddly, despite that, one of my guppies slipped through my fingers and I saw as if in slow motion its little wriggling body go sliding down the drain. No Pixar, drains don't lead directly to the ocean. It was a literal science experiment and yet I felt so, so bad for that tiny 88 cent fish.

I accidentally neglected a hamster to death too. I wanted a pet to take care of after I moved in with my husband, so we got Kuma, but then shortly after got our two cats. They're needy and noisy and provided far more interaction than a hamster and I guess we just stopped caring fully for her. :smith: I'm really sorry Kuma. You certainly deserved better.

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I was six, and had a hamster named Goldie. I decided that I loved reading, my hamster must love reading too! I put it on my blanket, got a book, and started reading to her. I finished the book, and went to grab Goldie, but she wasn't on the bed. She was under the bed.

With my dog.

Who was eating her.
This is horrible and I am a horrible person for laughing at it.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 14, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

When my best friend and I were like 10 we came across a squirrel acting really strangely, caught it in a butterfly net, and fixed up a home for it in our ~*secret clubhouse*~ inside a fishtank. In the middle of summer. The poor squirrel didn't last very long. It was very ill or injured to begin with but I don't think the fishtank did it any favors.

This reminds me of the classmate of mine who brought a fish to school in a Tupperware bin back in fifth grade. It was some kind of bottom-dwelling thing that his dad had caught in a slough, I think he said? Anyway, it turns out a Tupperware bin full of muddy water, regularly opened so fifth-graders can gawk, is not a good environment for a wild-dwelling fish. Thing was dead by lunch.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This happened just recently. My fiancee had a hamster, and once time, he was just too smart for his own good and somehow managed to manipulate the cage latch open and go exploring. It found the cat.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I have killed so many fish. I drove a betta to suicide. rip Boris bettanov

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
When I was working a summer job weed eating oil tanks, I once saw a rabbit jump off with a baby before moving in. Then I started to weedeat and broke the back leg of a second bunny; my coworker stomped it to break it's neck. Later in that summer, I had plastic blades on my weedeater and broke through the shell of a turtle, I assume he later died.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Had a friend who got a new puppy and we pulled it around in a little red wagon all day outside. Just having fun and being kids pulling a dog around the neighborhood. We played with that dog all afternoon and we never thought to give it any water in the middle of the summer. We went inside to play for awhile and when we checked on the dog an hour later it was dead in his living room. It was god drat tragic and I still feel for that dog.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My dad let the house get too cold and the hamster went into torpor and died and I found her and put poor little Kiz into a box for burial. Dad opened the box before putting it in the hole, I guess to say bye and Kiz looked up at him like hello wtf am I doing in this nice warm box. Then he put her back in the cold cage and she really died.

That was like 12 years ago, I have a hamster now and keeping her alive is a fun challenge, why the hell does anyone give hamsters to children

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

When I was 12 we were visiting family over the 4th of July, and brought our scottish terrier with us. The afternoon of the 4th, we chained him to the back deck outside while my brothers and I set off fireworks in the front yard. Half an hour later we went back to play with the dog, and found the chain pulled taut going in through a basement window. Ran inside and discovered him dead and hanging, the chain was about 2 inches too short.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

When I was 12 we were visiting family over the 4th of July, and brought our scottish terrier with us. The afternoon of the 4th, we chained him to the back deck outside while my brothers and I set off fireworks in the front yard. Half an hour later we went back to play with the dog, and found the chain pulled taut going in through a basement window. Ran inside and discovered him dead and hanging, the chain was about 2 inches too short.

Holy poo poo. :smith:

When I was in first grade or so i was really excited to tell my Dad about something so when I heard his car pull up I opened the front door. Every once in a while our Britney Spaniel, Annie, and our little mutt, Ted, would try to escape and they picked that day to make a go. Ted squirmed out between my legs and Annie went out under my shoulder. I snagged Annie's collar but she was way stronger than me so she just yanked me into a bush off the front step. When just one got out they usually were easy to catch but when it was both they usually disappeared for a bit. If I had happened to get Ted's collar he was a tubby little old chi mix so the whole thing would have been avoided.

This time we never saw them again. My Dad freaked out and screamed at me when it happened and I still get emotional thinking about it. I would go out into the little scrap of woods in our suburban hell rattling leashes and dog biscuits and calling them every month or so for, I want to say, five years at least. There's been loads of other stuff I've done or seen or had happen to me that was way, way worse, but that's probably the single thing in life that's bothered me the most because I internalized it so heavily.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Eifert Posting posted:

Holy poo poo. :smith:

When I was in first grade or so i was really excited to tell my Dad about something so when I heard his car pull up I opened the front door. Every once in a while our Britney Spaniel, Annie, and our little mutt, Ted, would try to escape and they picked that day to make a go. Ted squirmed out between my legs and Annie went out under my shoulder. I snagged Annie's collar but she was way stronger than me so she just yanked me into a bush off the front step. When just one got out they usually were easy to catch but when it was both they usually disappeared for a bit. If I had happened to get Ted's collar he was a tubby little old chi mix so the whole thing would have been avoided.

This time we never saw them again. My Dad freaked out and screamed at me when it happened and I still get emotional thinking about it. I would go out into the little scrap of woods in our suburban hell rattling leashes and dog biscuits and calling them every month or so for, I want to say, five years at least. There's been loads of other stuff I've done or seen or had happen to me that was way, way worse, but that's probably the single thing in life that's bothered me the most because I internalized it so heavily.

:smith: you deserve an e-hug.

Well so does everybody in this thread but getting blamed for an accident like that really, really, sucks. :sympathy:

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
When me and my sister were three we somehow got the idea to play bird nest and hatch our hamster as the baby. RIP Sherry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was about 6 or 7 and gave my brand new turtle a ride down the stairs in a box. :smith:

Why would anyone give an animal to a small child to take care of? This is the worst goddamn idea.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

SynthOrange posted:

I was about 6 or 7 and gave my brand new turtle a ride down the stairs in a box. :smith:

Why would anyone give an animal to a small child to take care of? This is the worst goddamn idea.

My parents didn't let me have my first non-fish pet (a guinea pig) till I was 10ish, aka old enough to recognize it as a living fragile creature not just a living stuffed animal. It was a wise parenting decision I think.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Oh yeah. This doesn't really count as me killing the pet, but...

When I was five I had a grey hamster named buttercup. She got wet tail. So my parents took her to the vet, and at the end of the day came back from the vet with the hamster, but now it had golden fur. They told me that the vet gave it some medicine for the wet tail that changed her fur color.

I didn't figure it out for years :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lol: that story is great, thank you

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hooboy.

For my own part: I NEARLY killed my pet mouse when I was seven. I wanted to give her a treat and took a special mouse pellet whatever and was trying to get her to eat it by putting it in her mouth and a bit must have broken off and gone down her throat because she went completely limp and I screamed and ran away. My mother performed some sort of mouse chest compression wizardry and the mouse was fine.

For my terrible family members:

Unsure if this was my mother's fault specifically but she had 8 guinea pigs as a youngster, the male got out and ran across a paddock to impregnate all the females and pretty soon she had 42 guinea pigs, which were left free to roam and eventually all got eaten by dogs including her favourite one which was the only one she actually named (RIP Emily)

Aunt A: chained up the family dog in his kennel which - as he was a farm dog - was a metal barrel on its side. Hot day, metal barrel, no water, dead dog by evening.

Aunt B: failed to each her children how to not be psychopaths, found them ages 3 & 4 in the mouse enclosure with shovels? sticks? something playing a real life version of whack-a-mouse. Most of the mice were dead but she found one that was hideously maimed but not quite dead - she decided the gentlest, quickest way to drown it which turns out was not gentle OR quick and she's an idiot.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Good to hear others have had trouble with keeping fish! I personally once killed my pet fish, six of them, by adding a touch hydrochloric acid to the tank. I didn't think it would kill them, but sure as I was born there they were an hour later bellies up.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I also once killed a cat by dropping it into a bucket of hydrochloric acid, but that's another story.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I had a number of pet birds over the years. I had a friend of the family offer me a conure that they had owned (neglected) for years. I took care of him for about 6 months and he went from a bitey jerk who would maul any hands that came anywhere near him to being cuddly and affectionate and understanding that biting was not an acceptable way to interact with people.

He was hanging out on my shoulder one day when I suddenly sneezed, he panicked and flew back to his cage, missed the landing, and broke both his legs. I'm pretty sure even if I had the money to rush my pet to the emergency vet they wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway.

He was such a good bird too, talkative and friendly with strangers, just a frustrating freak accident I still think about.

My favorite bird I ever owned was a budgie who I had for 5 years, he got out one day and I couldn't coax him down to bring him home. He eventually flew out of earshot and I lost him. He was the best bird I've met and an extremely friendly/cuddly budgie, who aren't known for being hand tame. Still miss him 2 years later.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The many fish deaths of childhood wound up multiplied many thousands of times when I thought it'd be a good idea to work in fish stores for about half a decade.

Consider the feeder fish. The fish that are intended to die, and soon! Sometimes, they just die sooner than anyone wants. En masse. And the next thing I know, I'm using a letter opener to scrape an inch thick layer of congealed rotting fish corpse gel off of the prefilter sponge block. And then blindly stabbing the corpse chunks down the utility sink drain because I was running the water and didn't think to break the dead fish jelly into smaller pieces first.
A similar incident occurred involving a bad batch of neon tetras, and those little fuckers are expensive in that quantity.
I will not discuss the incident with the red hook silver dollar with a strange tumor that was to be euthanized and preserved for a Navy fish pathologist to examine, because that was an intentional kill that went horribly wrong.

Now, store deaths are somewhat tangential to the topic: they're not my pets, and I didn't think of them that way, especially with the sheer quantity of death and disease ("Who ordered the red jewels? They have assworms. I don't need to look. They ALWAYS have assworms, this supplier is contaminated and they have no idea how to treat these things. I'll bet you 20. I will walk up to the tank and spot the loving assworms for you. See? Right there. And there. And that one. Half of them already have exposed assworms."). But they do put a hell of a filter on all the other fish deaths, to the point where only two stand out as really notable.

I found an albino betta at a Petsmart. Red eyes, no skin pigmentation. Apparently they have poor eyesight, so as fry they grow slower and get cannibalized, and therefore adult albinos are not A Thing That Happens. And yet, there was one on the shelf right in front of me. Of course I had to have it. The next day I woke up in a 40 degree fahrenheit house because our house heater broke overnight and a little fishtank heater is certainly not up to handling those kinds of conditions.

Near the end of my time at fish stores, a guy I knew got some juvenile bowfins, essentially the American native version of a snakehead. I got one, admittedly on impulse. I had a temporarily suitable tank half ready - the water was low, but it tested fine, still had some plants and an old amano shrimp I never bothered with removing. I wanted to get the tank topped off, but we're on well water. Weird well water. Very acidic, treated by a tempermental caustic potash machine, so we had some wildly fluctuating pH, in addition to some other weird properties. I didn't trust it. But our RO filter was way too slow, and I figured that a bowfin is the most absurdly resilient fish I will ever keep, so this time, it'll be fine.
Topped off the tank. Checked the chemistry, looks fine, pH is surprisingly okay. Checked the temperature, looks good. Quick acclimation and transfer of the bowfin. Everything looks fine. I sit there and watch it for a while, then step away.
I come back an hour later and the bowfin is lying at the bottom of the tank, extremely dead, covered in a thick layer of a combination of what was apparently ALL of its slime and blood extruded out through its skin. The amano shrimp is sitting on some driftwood like nothing's wrong. I didn't know what the gently caress. Nobody knew what the gently caress.
Kinda gave up on keeping fish after that.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
This happened 2-3 months ago. I was changing the water in my betas tank. Actually I had bought him a new tank and had put in the water conditioner the new filter everything. However I mis read the temp because 2 seconds in he was dead. The only thing I can think of is the shock of water I didn't realize was too hot killed him. He had had a good life for a beta, he was 3 going on 4 and was kind of weird but he was mine. R.I.P Viggo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My first proper fish tank came with 4 fish and a water heater.

After a couple of days, I realised that the water was on the cold side, so I tweaked up the heater literally 0.5'C. I wanted to make sure it was a gradual change as I know fish are sensitive to temp changes.

Came back from work to the smell of fish soup and a water level that was 25% lower than the morning.

Turned out the heater thermostat didn't work and I'd boiled my new pets.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Let's see... I learned at the age of 6 that I was in fact larger than Thumbelina and could not ride a cockatiel.

At age 8 I learned that goldfish will eat neon tetras whole. It would be years before I learned to distinguish tropical from temperate species, and goldfish from everything else.

At age 12 I learned not to put steaming hot water in the aquarium.

At age 23, I learned my boss at an aquarium was an idiot who would argue with me about whether the stingray tank had too little dissolved oxygen, and his unwillingness to let me do a water change led to the deaths of 6 bat rays before the next morning.

I think I became a biologist primarily out of guilt over the stupidity of humans.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

my worst pet death (I have had small animals, so I've had a lot) was when one of my chipmunks killed (?) and ate half of the other. I went in to feed them and found a pair of back legs and tail in the nest box.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Soooooooo many tetras.

Fraction posted:

my worst pet death (I have had small animals, so I've had a lot) was when one of my chipmunks killed (?) and ate half of the other. I went in to feed them and found a pair of back legs and tail in the nest box.
Similarly when I was a young kid I occasionally would forget to feed my gerbils thanks to all the distractions of elementary school and Super Nintendo. They had a couple of litters, or whatever you call it for gerbils, and a couple of times the babies would be gone when I got back from school. Parents just told me they died, no specifics. For a while the male and female were separated into two cages, but eventually were put back into one. Later the female gerbil 'disappeared' in the same manner, and I was told she died. As you've undoubtedly guessed by now the male was eating the other ones and they were cleaning the mess up before I got home. I finally found out the truth when I was like 20 or so.

The best part of this story was after 2 litters being eaten my dad got mad enough about the whole thing that he managed to convince our dogs' vet to neuter the gerbil. I have never heard of anyone else doing this in my life, nor do I have any loving idea how you anesthetize a gerbil. But the vet did it.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

One summer a co-worker of my mom found a nest of flying squirrel babies. And for some reason we ended up with one, or more exactly my brother got one. He had this kind of hosed up "top open" cage that had been scrounged up from some place. It was the worst loving cage, since the whole top would lift instead of just a little door opening. Yes that is foreshadowing. I don't think this poor terrified flying squirrel had been in our house more than 24 hours when IT happened. I was in the room when we were trying to feed it, it was pressed up against the lid of the cage..as soon as my brother opened it, OUT came the squirrel. Cue about a minute of us hopping around trying to catch it. Him a 10-12 year old, and me a 9-8 year old. Well, the poor thing darted out from under my brothers bed just as my foot was coming down. I felt it's neck snap and it it kind of struggled for second and then went limp. Cue me screaming hysterically for five minutes. Was possibly the most traumatic thing that had happened to me up to that point in my life. :smith: I felt guilty and lovely for years after that, and to this day I tear up when I think about it.

Now that I'm an adult with my own kid about the same age, I just wonder wtf my parents were thinking to bring a WILD ANIMAL into our house and think it would end any way OTHER than tragically?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Two animal stories here, one with direct involvement and a second that was more indirect.

I was 10 or 11 and had a dog named Sammy. I think she was a Shepard mix because she had the right coloring and some of the shape but she was small compared to other Shepard's. Anyway, the way she had come into my life was pretty awesome. We lived in base housing in Italy and her owner just so happened to live at the end of this long walkway we would all run down to get to the beach/into our forts in the brush. Every day I would stop and play with Sammy if she was outside on her cable and eventually the woman approached me and asked if I would like to have her because she just never had time to play with the dog and had noticed how happy she would get when she saw me coming. A quick talk with my mom sealed the deal and I had a new dog that I took everywhere I could on the island. She was extremely well behaved unless she got loose. Then she would dart off into the unknown and we'd usually get a call from animal control to come pick her up within an hour or two.

Fast forward a year and we're leaving the country. I spend the last night in town with a couple of friends and my mom relays to me how Sammy had picked out my suitcase amongst the group and had slept on it the entire night. Mutual love right there. Unfortunately, we had lost some of the screws that held her kennel together so she couldn't be flown out with us. We were leaving two months ahead of my mom and were to stay with our grandparents in New Mexico until she got back to the states and brought us to her next duty station.

Fast forward two months and my mom shows up at the school where my grandmother works, it's after hours, I'm paying with a couple of friends in the courtyard out front when a car pulls up and my mom steps out, followed in quick order by Sammy who practically body slams me to the ground. It was one of those joyful reunions like you'd see in a movie where she can't stop wiggling her butt and whining.

Well, it's New Mexico.. My uncle has a pitt named Shorty. He's an older dog and I grew up around him. I love this loving dog as well. However, when Sammy gets loose he's often right there with her and they disappear for hours before finally showing up at home for food and a nap. (Razor is an outside, unleashed dog, we live in the boonies) Then one day they don't come back. We waited days without seeing them and then finally, one morning, I'm up at my uncle's place and as I'm walking up to his house I notice that Shorty is laying next to the porch, watching me. I immediately run up to him and am almost instantly shocked to tears. His back right leg is hanging on by a piece of flesh that's about an inch thick and he has a massive puncture wound in his rib cage. Even though he's sitting there like nothing's wrong and even gets up and limps around after me when I go to get my Uncle without a single sound of pain, I know he's not going to be around much longer.

In the end, we think they got into it with a bull, judging by the puncture on his rib cage and ended up taking him out back with a .22 to put him out of his misery. I held him right up until the moment that he saw the rifle. He didn't try to run, didn't do anything, just settled his head down on the ground and closed his eyes. I cried like a bitch for over an hour after we buried him. Never did see Sammy again.

----------

Second story, Paco the Ball Python.

After we got married and relocated to North Carolina, my wife decided that she wanted a ball python because one of our other friends had a 42" python that we would carry around everywhere. Badass snake.

So I oblige her and we get one. He grew pretty quickly from the meager little 10" he was when we got him and soon enough we had a 26" python on our hands who was only getting bigger. He ended up getting big enough that, despite the 8 pound geode sitting on top of the mesh to his terrarium, or whatever else we set on it, he would routinely push open the top and escape. He wouldn't hide though (I'm assuming because the house was relatively cool) but would instead work his way out into the living room where we'd suddenly notice his head rise up about 8" off of the carpet while he scented around. Then he'd crawl towards us and up one of our legs to wrap around a wrist or neck and just chill.

The wife called me while I was in California training, upset, as she'd just done a load of laundry and had found Paco in the dried clothes. She'd been searching for him for hours and after she had given up she'd loaded up the washer and didn't even notice the dead snake until she'd dried him and was folding clothes in the bedroom.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I bet no one is even reading any of this thread.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm reading it but I couldn't tell you why, it's very upsetting and makes me want to hug my stupid hamster (not too hard tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
I'm both impressed and horrified by some of the poo poo you guys did as children, goddamn.

As far as pets go, worst thing I probably did was give my(i was 13) hamster tiny pieces of salted french fries/cocoa puffs because I didn't really know any better. She lived for more than a year so I guess it didn't hurt her too badly.

One of my parakeets had a horrible mass growing from under his eyelid(I was 15 at the time) which would scab up into this huge, disgusting thing that caused him a lot of pain if he hit it on something. Obviously he eventually died, probably from that, because my grandmother doesn't believe that anything not a cat or dog should be taken to the vet. At least he lasted seven years, but that wasn't really my fault.

As far as the rest of my family goes, none of them believe in euthanizing an animal in pain, which pisses me off to no end. Grandma's two cats(about 16), one eventually couldn't move because his arthritis was so bad and the other died of failing kidneys. Aunt's boxer recently passed was obviously in a lot of pain and stopped being able to go to the bathroom outside and was obviously senile. When my female budgie was eggbound(we thought it was a tumor from the x-rays) and eventually passed it, but lost the ability to move her feet and poop on their own, I scheduled her vet appointment the very day I came back from vacation to see she was like that. Grandmother tried to tell me I should just "let her die on her own in peace". Like, nah. gently caress that. I'm not drawing out my pets' inevitable suffering if I have a choice.

• Locked thread