Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So jealous, those old 6 series are my favourite BMW ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
"Dear Penthouse Roundel, I never thought this would happen to me..."

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress, if I had the room I would own that car in non-running condition just to look at and sit in.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The front of of those 6 series cars are so loving rad

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo that owns and your friend is amazing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So when are you adding the dual 10' purple side-exit exhaust pipes, triple-decker rear wing, and a shark-nose?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

So when are you adding the dual 10' purple side-exit exhaust pipes, triple-decker rear wing, and a shark-nose?

Your (car modding habits are) just bad.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
welp owned gg no re rekt n00b 420 smoke mid every day. *bong hit*

Seriously though, great car! Congrats :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy crap you're friend is amazing, that car is amazing. Love those old 6ers

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

Even if it isn't a 5 speed that's a really nice car, great color. What's the interior look like?

Missed this. I haven't seen any pictures, and I don't recall if I'd ever gotten to see the interior other than years ago when he first brought it to work, but I'm sure that the interior is just as clean. As he menitoned though the SI board is giving him some issues. No surprise considering the car is over 30 years old.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

welp owned gg no re rekt n00b 420 smoke mid every day. *bong hit*

Seriously though, great car! Congrats :)

Oi, you schumck, if you don't want a cheeky response don't make no cheeky post :cheeky:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Super jealous, that's an incredibly rad thing for your friend to do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Old Blue is home :3: ALSO I WAS WRONG IT HAS A FIVE SPEED!!!

The high pressure fuel pump is dead. I'm going to buy a Walbro for it soon.

The interior is not as immaculate as I expected. The only working window is the driver's, but I think the passenger side window motor just needs to be taken apart and unfrozen (did this with my last E30). The rear windows make no noise at all, gonna have to check power. There is PO wiring fuckery with some kind of aftermarket addon keyless system under the dash causing the cluster to act wacky, the driver's seat recline is broken (cable housings are split, I can probably get away with heatshrinking them back together), there's a lovely dash cover that's loving glued on, windshield washer pumps and squirters need to be replaced, needs new tie rods, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. Gonna be a project, but more of a "little things" project than "rebuilding motor" project. And hey, FREE CAR.

Also that is likely the cleanest that garage will EVER be. I'll probably be building a small shed in the backyard for lawn tools and my hoard of wheels (seriously I have like... 7 sets of wheels not on cars; I recognize that I have a problem shutup). Do you guys think I should keep the assorted lumber in the garage, or can that go in the shed too?

I'm also considering tearing down those shelves and building something not quite as deep, maybe 18" or so. You guys think that would be enough depth without eating up too much space? I had to tear down a bench on the left side already so I could get the car in the garage. Having never had a garage of my very own, I know nothing, and I'd rather about ignorance and ask lots of questions instead of wasting time and money with trial and error.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 23, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have a garage similar to yours and built some narrow full height shelving and worktables in an L shape along the one side and the back of the garage. Works great. I also have a shitload of stray lumber so I mounted some L shaped metal brackets high up on the opposite wall and I throw it up there to keep it out of the way. The best strategy in a small garage seems to be to use as much of the height as you can for storage.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 24, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How is this thread not archived yet :psyduck:

Updates: BMW is still in need of a fuel pump. Miata is still sitting at my parents place in need of that transmission, along with half of my garage poo poo. But...

As of Monday 30 Nov 2015 I AM A HOMEOWNER :toot: That's pretty much the best thing that's happened since October. I still don't really think I've subconsciously processed this fact. Maybe when the roof starts leaking or the water heater explodes it will really hit me that I've made a terrible mistake.

The other bad news: A couple weeks ago I was helping my dad run a paper route. I was coming down the off ramp into Marianna, and when I downshifted into 3rd all of a sudden there was a *BANG* and a whole bunch of rattling banging noises. I immediately turned off the motor and coasted to a stop. Smoke starts pouring out from under the hood. Fearing the worst, I shine my flashlight under the front end, expecting a hole in the block. Huh, oilpan is intact, so is the block and transmission case. Oil level is good. What the gently caress?

I peer deeper and see globs of grease everywhere on the passenger side. Oh, I see, the CV axle decided it didn't want to be friends with the output shaft flange anymore. At least that's an easy fix. I lost 5 out of the 6 studs and all of the nuts, which I ordered from a dealer, only to have the dealer tell me they were NLA. Yesterday. Assholes. Just ordered the studs/nuts from Toyotapartsoverstock.com (great diagrams there, I am so spoiled by realoem.com). $10.95 shipping for 6 nuts/studs though :argh:

Lessons learned: Always locktite your driveline hardware.

What's even better, is that my dad was having some major vibration/clunking issues on his '05 Nissan Titan. He thought it was a wheel bearing, which he replaced in my driveway, but the problem persisted. I got a chance to drive it the next day at work, and the noise he thought was coming from the front right was actually more centered in the car. The issue only presented itself while coasting; it cleared up under acceleration or braking. I suspected driveshaft, and had him drive it around the block with me in the bed. Sure enough, driveshaft was wobbling all over the place.

Now it gets REAL interesting.

I was pulling the shaft out in the parking lot at work, got the center support bearing loose, and then I went to drop the four bolts to the diff, there was one missing, and the rest were only finger tight. I guess after 150k miles the factory threadlocker wore out or something. Ordered new bolts from the dealer and reinstalled driveshaft (with locktite! :eng101:), problem resolved.

Now my mom wants me to replace the rear axle in my jailbird brother's Chevy pickup so that she can sell it. It's making this really fun-sounding whining noise all the time, and every once in awhile there's a bang or something, and of course it makes even better noises while turning. I am very much looking forward to humping a goddamn rear axle out of PnP next weekend :suicide:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Congrats on becoming a homeowner. Hopefully you can avoid the fate of many of us, and still work on your cars while not becoming a grumpy old man about everything. Houses are great in that the sweat you put in may actually help the resale value. They suck for the same reasons as cars: previous owners and poor initial manufacturing quality.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Also lack of maintenance and incredibly ill-conceived modifications and upgrades.

Congrats, and my condolences on becoming the family mechanic.

It still hasn't sunk in for me that I own a house and it's been five years. I guess maybe when I own a house that is majority house instead of majority rubble-heap.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Also lack of maintenance and incredibly ill-conceived modifications and upgrades.

Congrats, and my condolences on becoming the family mechanic.

It still hasn't sunk in for me that I own a house and it's been five years. I guess maybe when I own a house that is majority house instead of majority rubble-heap.

I've been lucky thus far about "modifications and upgrades" being limited to a satellite dish. The worst things were probably the undisclosed termite damage and non-functional HVAC, but I got that squared away with some personal carpentry work and a $250 used outdoor unit. It just wasn't worth the hassle to chase the seller over it.

Went to finish off the Corolla last night after I got my studs/nuts. Got the studs seated in the flange okay, but the drat axle was for an automatic. Went to exchange and new axle won't be here until Wednesday. Welp. "Oh, it was for a manual? :downsgun:"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have now brought two wrong axles home from the parts store. One was for an auto (yeah, my bad, I wasn't looking over the parts guy's shoulder when he was ordering), but this shaft I just tried and failed to install was ostensibly for a standard. However, there is a second option for standards, which I've just ordered, but it won't be here until the 22nd. It should not be this fuckin' difficult to get an axle for an 80's Corolla. Car has had its nose in the air on stands in my driveway for 4 weeks now waiting on parts.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 18, 2015

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Never stop posting. You have a very unique collection of very loved and sought after cars.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Corolla is finally fixed. And bahgawd, I forgot how much fun the thing is with her little 1.6-liter-screamer in a 2200lb chassis :rice:

I was a bit irritated when I got home with the axle; I was having the same issue of not being able to slide the shaft stub into the hub that I'd had with the previous manual axle. I find it painfully ironic that the automatic axle is the one where the stub slid home perfectly like it oughta. So, I sat on my rear end on a piece of cardboard in the rain and counted splines about seven times, then finally just put the nut on the three threads I could get to and pulled the stub into the hub like a press-fit stud. It seated okay, so I slathered my nuts with blue locktite (:v:) and bolted up the inside hub to the output flange.

The test drive was interesting; I mentioned that when I threw the shaft a month ago the cap popped off and slung CV grease loving everywhere, so once the exhaust warmed up there was a hell of a smoke show for a mile or so.

I'm going to dick off at work today and probably order the fuel pump for the 6, and maybe I'll find replacement cables for the seat positioning motors for less than $fuckyouimaBMW so I can drive around in my awesome blue car with my chrome 90% tint :whatup:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 23, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

I have now brought two wrong axles home from the parts store. One was for an auto (yeah, my bad, I wasn't looking over the parts guy's shoulder when he was ordering), but this shaft I just tried and failed to install was ostensibly for a standard. However, there is a second option for standards, which I've just ordered, but it won't be here until the 22nd. It should not be this fuckin' difficult to get an axle for an 80's Corolla. Car has had its nose in the air on stands in my driveway for 4 weeks now waiting on parts.

The last time I bought an axle, I had to take the bus to the parts store.

The buses in that city only run every hour on most routes. So I decided to walk the ~4 miles back home.... with an axle over my shoulder.

And yup. It wound up being for a loving automatic, even though the part number on the box was for a manual. It took 3 tries to get the right axle (finally asked for one for an ABS-equipped version of my car and got the right one, just with an ABS tone ring on the end of it). :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm sitting here waiting on AAA, so I guess I'll update this thing.

So now the driver's side axle on the FX16 just disintegrated. I've been driving through some puddles this morning, and one of them had something in it that must have torn the boot and let all the magic grease out. It also helpfully destroyed half the studs on the flange when it exploded so I get to order those too.

In other news, I've been chasing a misfire issue in the past couple weeks. Initial troubleshooting pointed to a TPS failure, so I ordered one from RockAuto for a cool $211.xx :wtf:. The one they sent me had a rough, noisy idle threshold, so I went to file a return. Apparently, the TPS I ordered is not applicable to my vehicle, even though the Alternate/OEM Part Number matches both the TPS on the vehicle and another TPS listed for my car. RockAuto is claiming that of the two TPSs manufactured to the OEM part spec, only one of them is designed for my application :fuckoff:. Nevermind that they both have the OEM part number in their Alternate/OEM Part Number listing, so I guess I'm poo poo out of $211.xx on a defective part. Also, the part being defective apparently has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of the return.

All of this correspondence has been via email thus far; I'm told better results are gained by calling, which I'm going to do while ordering new axle flange studs from not-RockAuto because gently caress those guys. Lesson learned: lie about what vehicle the return is for to save hassle. I think I even read something of that nature posted by kastein, since his jeeps are lego-assembled Frankenstein abominations. If they end up shafting me over the phone too I'll probably have my CC company do a charge back and deal with being banned from RockAuto. I'm sure if I ever really need something only they have I can convince a friend to order for me.

Moving on, I was able to get an OEM TPS for only $20 more, and even though the old TPS was out of spec, the problem persists. I did a code reset [disconnect battery for 15 seconds] and it popped an O2 sensor code. Testing revealed that there was no voltage coming from the O2 sensor, and the wiring checked out, so new O2 sensor will be ordered. I guess mixture issues fried it or something, or failure was coincidental. The AFM also tested out of spec so I'm gonna order one of those too. I'm still getting 28mpg on a tank running a paper route :stare:. I do love this little car.

And no, ShittyPostmakerPro, the Sixer is not running yet :p . It seems perfectly happy to sit in the garage and look pretty.

I've been saving Sixer money to spend on my "bulletproof" Corolla build an 8x12 shed in the backyard so I can ditch my monthly storage unit payment. I know a lot of AI folks appreciate that sort of thing, so I'll link the DIY thread in here when it's finished.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 4, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

And no, ShittyPostmakerPro, the Sixer is not running yet :p. It seems perfectly happy to sit in the garage and look pretty.

... You know what I'm going to say......

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm going to burn down every parts house in the metro area. Nobody can get me the right axle for this car. All of them have the small flange and the descriptions at the parts counter aren't worth a poo poo for telling the difference. It's been four weeks, three axles, and about $50 in non-refundable shipping (from brick-and-mortar stores! Woo FDO only!)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Two months later...

Corolla got a new AFM and O2 sensor along with plugs and wires after I filled the spark plug valley up with water bombing through puddles. It still had this nagging low-rpm misfire I couldn't track down. However, after washing the car a few days ago at one of those DIY stations, including the engine bay, the misfire has disappeared completely.

:iiam: I'm baffled but otherwise I'm not fixing what ain't broke. The only thing worse than a nagging non-critical car problem that you can't figure out, is a nagging non-critical car problem that you can't figure out that suddenly goes away for no discernible reason.

Put a new set of tires on it as well, it's much nicer to drive now that it's not violently shaking at 55mph+. The steering is better too, although I bought hardware to finally rig up the power steering idler pulley. Shop says I need new inner tie rod ends as well, and possibly a FR wheel bearing. They're right, of course, so I need to go buy a press (for the wheel bearing job). I did finally get the correct axles, thanks to my buddy at O'Reilly's. Too bad his shop is now like 20 miles away instead of him being at the Advance right down the street.

The Six is still sitting there waiting for the fuel pump. I did wash and wax it the other day to keep it happy-ish

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 29, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Archival preventative.

Had a coolant leak and a failed alternator bother me. Also the front tires, which have all of 5000 miles on them (on a 50,000mi-rated tire) are already bare on the shoulders. I got it aligned after replacing the tie rod ends a week after getting the tires. I'm a wee bit ticked off at the prospect of arguing with the shop about the wear. Granted, this is primarily a newspaper delivery vehicle, and I've been on a particularly curvy route the past month (but hey I'm orienting a new contractor next week!) but still 5000 miles is a bit soon to see that kind of wear.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsjdcv9nIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm still mad at you for getting a free BMW :p

Nice work ;)

• Locked thread