Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Every June some friends and I get together in a field to race the cheap finds from Kijiji in Alberta. The general budget is $500, we don't outfit them with any safety equipment - just wear helmets. We do remove the coolant and replace it with water, apparently it's better for the cows that normally graze this field.

There aren't too many other rules for modifications. Most guys remove back seats and carve the tires (think ATV tires). Cover the lights with tape so when they break there's less clean up. Oh, and don't be an rear end in a top hat - that would be a good way to ruin this for everybody.

No idea how this guy found this Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS but he did, it won but faced stiff competition from a sixth gen FWD Celica, a seventh gen Celica GT, an Impreza wagon and a V6 Malibu.

I didn't buy a car this year, I bought a drone to better film the rally but I did minimal work to get this 2001 Olds Alero V6 for my wife to race. It was a turd but neither of us put much into it.

Here's a Jetta and Celica hanging out in the field.

This kind of thing is not an uncommon sight. Usually the tire just pops off the rim and we put it back on with some ether, hairspray or whatever.

Anyways, I used a Blade 350 QX3 AP drone with CGo2 camera, my old trusty Hero 2 and a borrowed Hero 3+ Silver to capture the rally. I put the movie together with iMovie and the only experience I really have with it is that I build this video each year. It gets better each year and I think this is the biggest leap in quality yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhAnElQmgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I like it. Makes me feel the need to do something like this up in Wasilla/Palmer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Pretty jealous about that 2.5RS. It has to be completely trashed to be available at that price.

Also, you know where to find me. I have the ability to find bad cars in this glorious province and the ability to race them offroad. And not much sense.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Does anyone think it would be possible to do this in the sue-happy United States of expensive healthcare if you crash?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CountOfNowhere posted:

Does anyone think it would be possible to do this in the sue-happy United States of expensive healthcare if you crash?

Simple solution, don't crash.

If the US lets you sign away your rights to anybody with a contract. they should let you sign away your legs to some dude in a field. look at spectator drags.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Can you repost the past years videos? I loved that one with that nasty sounding Kia

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

8ender posted:

Can you repost the past years videos? I loved that one with that nasty sounding Kia

2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ai0euhoKfM

2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1KW974SKs

2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjRjC96KnhM

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Holy poo poo, it's grassroots Rallycross - real rallycross!. That looks like soo much fun

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy poo poo, it's grassroots Rallycross - real rallycross!. That looks like soo much fun

It's really awesome. I believe I made threads for the last two years with more info but I don't have archive access. I think we've done it for six years now, I've been there for the last five years.

I'm not really a contender but I have a ton of fun out there. I'm one of the least mechanically abled guys there so I tend to buy cars that are already running and ready to go. Even when I have a decent car, my rally driving isn't up there with the top guys.

My first year I picked up a free Chevy Corsica 4 cyl auto, it was terrible but we had fun. I think that one had a proper hand brake. Second year I found a 96 Civic CX auto, it did better and was really reliable - somebody else ended up using it in the third year. In the third year I used a 98 Sunfire GT 5 speed, it overheated quickly and died at just over 200 000 km. The next year I bought the red Integra from the video for $50 but ended up selling it for the same price to another guy after.

This year was all filming. I didn't even get into a car, which was kind of unfortunate but I had a lot of fun making the video. I hope a lot of people dig the video because I think it looks great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This looks fun as hell!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Insanely jealous as I am every year.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

Insanely jealous as I am every year.

Agreed, this always looks like a hilarious amount of fun.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Jesus dude yesss. Peak AI right here. It's like being a teenager except mildly more well planned. Mad props.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

When are you going to host this for us plebeians in the rest of the Alberta ai crew? :colbert:

I'd come up north for a weekend of fun in a deathtrap car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

When are you going to host this for us plebeians in the rest of the Alberta ai crew? :colbert:

Yeah this is basically albertaaimeet.txt

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Just echoing the jealousy. Wish our healthcare was free....

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

Before this year's rally the guy running it wanted people to bring friends, make it bigger. Then he talked to a lawyer and got scared about liability and started talking like it was all over. I was with him yesterday and he says it will never be cancelled so next spring I expect he'll be back trying to grow it again so we'll see what happens.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shoota_McG posted:

Before this year's rally the guy running it wanted people to bring friends, make it bigger. Then he talked to a lawyer and got scared about liability and started talking like it was all over. I was with him yesterday and he says it will never be cancelled so next spring I expect he'll be back trying to grow it again so we'll see what happens.

Awesome, keep us informed if you want the goonsquad to camp out on your land and stink up the joint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was out near big valley yesterday, and there was some poo poo terrible land that would be perfect for this kind of thing. The sign said $60k for a quarter section, but it was a really old sign.

Might be time to look into opening up "please don't sue me motorsports park""

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I was out near big valley yesterday, and there was some poo poo terrible land that would be perfect for this kind of thing. The sign said $60k for a quarter section, but it was a really old sign.

I think you mean Please Don't Sue Me Automobile Maintenance and Testing Facility.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Maybe for leasing?

poo poo man, I want some land out that way for hunting on, mls had it listed at way more than 60/quarter last time I checked. Can you grab the realtor's number next time you're out there?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Seriously mulling buying a Rabbit Cabriolet to swap the Scirocco's running gear over to next spring. This would be an amazing way to send off the old scirocco body.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously mulling buying a Rabbit Cabriolet to swap the Scirocco's running gear over to next spring. This would be an amazing way to send off the old scirocco body.

There's no shortage of semi-primo bitch baskets kicking around on Kijiji, all you'd need is one of those fancy-dan A1 braces and a top delete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's no shortage of semi-primo bitch baskets kicking around on Kijiji, all you'd need is one of those fancy-dan A1 braces and a top delete.

That's pretty much the game plan. I've been forced into the bitch basket route because every regular Rabbit that pops up is garbage. It's really up to when the Scirocco's rust starts getting terminal and how much garage space if any I have at that point to be doing body work. I'm sure smashing the car up in the Loop isn't helping much.

• Locked thread