Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I hate admitting it, but I'm enjoying this show more than True Detective S2 at this point. Even though this basically feels like Entourage 2.0 (which shouldn't be surprising), it's still just more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pentyne posted:

It's pretty hosed up but every incoming player should be getting a seminar/meeting about their new financial status and what they need to do short and long term. The 30 for 30 ESPN highlighted how completely unprepared most players are for the realities of hundred of thousands of dollars being immediately available to them and how some of them don't even open bank accounts.

There's actually some work on this being done. Miami just opened up an MBA program specifically for athletes (in fact I think specifically for football players) - it's a small program, but it's a start. I think the NBA offers some level of financial education to players as well, not sure at what point in a player's career it becomes available though. You're right in that people are completely unprepared, in a way it's a lot like lottery winners - you've got people who generally did not come from money and have no idea how to handle it responsibly all of a sudden being given a massive, albeit temporary (for most) income. Too many athletes treat that income as if it will last forever, whereas in reality the Jordans, Farves, and Tigers of the world are few and far between.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The chick that took the photos and is extorting Vernon, have we been introduced to her yet? The Rock said he knows her, trying to figure out if she's a new character or not.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

savinhill posted:

It's Reggie that's behind it all

Is this a guess or is this something I completely missed?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CalvinandHobbes posted:

the clue is reggie was by his side the entire night but mysteriously doesn't appear in any pictures.

He is in one of the pictures though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

a nigga who smoke posted:

the Jay Glazer/Ricky Jarrett interview is fantastic. Best non-Rob Corrdry related scene by far.

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah they had me going for a bit in thinking Ricky was going to botch the interview

Willing to bet that's going to come back to bite him at some point. Either the mysterious #81 isn't his actual dad, Ricky never called him to begin with, or the dad did reach out at some point and Ricky rejected him out of spite, or Ricky's mom was lying about his dad because his real dad disappeared for some reason (prison, already married and the mom was a mistress, etc.)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also remember him looking at an old picture in his 'trophy room' that could've been his father.

Huh, I don't remember this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zero One posted:

The Rock may not be a good financial advisor. Some clues:

Lent out the $300,000
That was all he had in his bank account.
But he didn't realize at the time.
But he has other bank accounts he didn't know about.
The "Old man" didn't want to hire him.

He's really just a sales man like at a car dealership. He was hired for his connections and not his skills at money management.

At that level, though, it's a way in to a very exclusive club - if someone wants to develop a network of individuals quickly to offer them a product or service, find someone they can identify with. It's no different than having exclusive memberships to whatever clubs are appropriate to your industry. It's a way to start a conversation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Golden Bee posted:

He LOANED Vernon the money.

They've said repeatedly that Spencer was hired for his connections, and Joe seems to be the only one at the firm who likes him. No protagonist on the show is particularly good at their job (unless it's Football).

I'd disagree, none of the protagonists seem to be particularly bad at their jobs - Spencer has been successful at introducing people to Joe, plus he's helped Ricky out with the PR thing. We haven't really seen Joe work yet, just party, have we? And the agent did get Vern a big bump on the contract - may not be what Vern wanted but gently caress, sometimes expectations are unrealistic.

So far nobody here really seems like a major antagonist besides Reggie - hell, the shady lawyer calmed down to $150k. It's still a shakedown, yeah, and we're not supposed to like the guy. Even Reggie, at worst, is just feeding off of Vern. Doesn't seem to be actively trying to sabotage him.

This is Entourage: Football Edition. Entourage had no real antagonists for the first season, it was a warm up lap, and I'm expecting exactly the same here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

His job isn't to be good with money. It's to introduce the guys who are good with money to football players.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Binary Logic posted:

Was there any point to introducing Jason the agent's mother's relationship with a younger man trying to get into pro golf?
The show is so short already - 25 minutes per week including the intro credits. These scenes didn't add much comedy or drama, and pushed out some already ongoing storylines like the MRI scan results, and Spencer meeting the 'blackmailer'.
In this football-based series starring Dwayne Johnson, are we really supposed to care about this mom and her non-football-playing boyfriend.

One of the big criticisms of Entourage, especially the early seasons, was that Vince was the only person who had any real character development, and arguably Ari. In later seasons the other characters got fleshed out but early on it was definitely the Vince and Ari show, oh and some other guys. Personally, I think the pictures, the MRI, the golf thing, etc. are all attempts to mitigate that criticism from coming up again. HBO knows exactly what worked and what didn't in Entourage, and they're trying to improve on the formula.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

savinhill posted:

Is it a known thing that Rock is only gonna be on the first season? if so, thats not good for this show

It'd be news to me, and I can't find out anything about it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Huh. Just noticed that Spencer Strasmore is listed as an associate producer on this show. Weird but neat.

• Locked thread