Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol there's no black people in KS bro

And yet Kansans hate them just the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

icantfindaname posted:

And yet Kansans hate them just the same

Nah, you're thinking of the real threat to Kansas: homophiles, abortionists, and the Pelosi/Reid axis

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
just kidding.

Kansas doesn't like black people. Sometimes you have to tell them that you can't refer to the one black family in town as the "colored family"

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Gyges posted:

Though Reconstruction in Kansas with Federal Governor Sebelius might be kind of funny.

I have never in my life felt the urge to write fanfic. Until now.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Nikki Haley: "We aren't going to get on the express elevator to Hell, we're taking the scenic route!"

Which is a diabolically evil plan, because just like the frog in the pot, people won't realize it until it's too late. Really we should kind of thank Brownback and the good (stupid) people of Kansas; they have made a whole lot of arguments on the right invalid in three-dimensional physical reality. Of course, this is only useful in talking to the 60-ish percent of the U.S. that believes in three-dimensional physical reality...

It is 60-ish percent right guys? Right? :ohdear:
It says right there in the Bible that the universe is 2-D, God even wiped out a whole race of people because they thought the world was 3-D.
I won't let my children be tainted by Physics and Calculus!
Leviticus 8:9
"And the Lord did say the world is flat."

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 14, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

spacemang_spliff posted:

Kansas is where I learned that racism still existed. I'd read about back east but never seen it. I was always a target in schools due to my dads job but in Kansas I observed a very different reaction when the scared child of a laid off steel worker took a swing at me while black vs when they were white. From students and teachers alike ( we can bully her but not you ... ). As a result I felt somewhat safer around black students than white ones and my school was over a third black. Racial violence within the school was common enough that the fights I got into were treated very differently than I was used to. In a place like New Hampshire there would be so few fights that my string of altercations was big news. In Kansas I was one of many kids who was constantly in the principles office for fighting and the administrators understood how group tensions can put you in places where you can't avoid a fight. They were very pragmatic about it.

Kansas racism is also the source of one of the very few memories I have of my father where I have any respect for him. A manager-type came to our house for dinner to discuss the list of the (1st) round of layoffs to suggest switching some folks around. Dad noticed that the man's proposed list was almost entirely black - a few white guys who were drunks/problematic/etc too but basically he was swapping most of the white guys on dad's list for black guys.

Dad pointed this out and in the privacy of a rich white guys dining room the rep acknowledged it and called on white solidarity. Dad replied that he would make one change to the list and added the racist rear end in a top hat to it then told him to get out.

Not that he is a good human being. He sincerely believes you can determine a person's moral worth from their bank account and takes misogyny to truly rarified levels. But he is definitely missing racism from his collection of -isms.

Anywho, I assure you. There are indeed black people in Kansas. 5.7% according to Google.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'm a black dude from Topeka, man. There's more black people in Kansas than people think.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

nah I know. I was being facetious.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm suddenly feeling a deal less sympathetic to Kansas. That's a very narrow view though, and it doesn't mean the state deserves to burn to the ground.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

McAlister posted:

Kansas is where I learned that racism still existed. I'd read about back east but never seen it. I was always a target in schools due to my dads job but in Kansas I observed a very different reaction when the scared child of a laid off steel worker took a swing at me while black vs when they were white. From students and teachers alike ( we can bully her but not you ... ). As a result I felt somewhat safer around black students than white ones and my school was over a third black. Racial violence within the school was common enough that the fights I got into were treated very differently than I was used to. In a place like New Hampshire there would be so few fights that my string of altercations was big news. In Kansas I was one of many kids who was constantly in the principles office for fighting and the administrators understood how group tensions can put you in places where you can't avoid a fight. They were very pragmatic about it.

Kansas racism is also the source of one of the very few memories I have of my father where I have any respect for him. A manager-type came to our house for dinner to discuss the list of the (1st) round of layoffs to suggest switching some folks around. Dad noticed that the man's proposed list was almost entirely black - a few white guys who were drunks/problematic/etc too but basically he was swapping most of the white guys on dad's list for black guys.

Dad pointed this out and in the privacy of a rich white guys dining room the rep acknowledged it and called on white solidarity. Dad replied that he would make one change to the list and added the racist rear end in a top hat to it then told him to get out.

Not that he is a good human being. He sincerely believes you can determine a person's moral worth from their bank account and takes misogyny to truly rarified levels. But he is definitely missing racism from his collection of -isms.

Anywho, I assure you. There are indeed black people in Kansas. 5.7% according to Google.

I'm going to guess this happened in Wichita.

When I was in Jr High, a black classmate (the nicest girl I've ever met) walked by a really racist kid who said "Well, excuse you n-word." Her boyfriend over heard and stomped the dogshit out of the racist kid after class. The racist kid went to jail sometime after HS because he had sex with a girl w/ down syndrome.

That's the most KS story I know.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Klaus88 posted:

I'm suddenly feeling a deal less sympathetic to Kansas. That's a very narrow view though, and it doesn't mean the state deserves to burn to the ground.

There's really almost nothing worth sympathy in Kansas, but yes, no one deserves this poo poo let alone worse.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What's actually kind of amazing is how current events in Kansas have arisen due to a very clear domino effect that's spiraling out of control:

1. Obama is elected. Backlash from the Right due to controversial fiscal policy decisions and fear of tax increases under a Democratic President leads to the formation of the Tea Party in 2010.
2. Sam Brownback rides in on the Tea Party wave with extreme supply-side economic measures in mind.
3. Brownback institutes massive tax cuts hoping to stimulate the economy.
4. The resulting Kansas revenue shortfall leads to a massive deficit that is nigh impossible to fix as crucial public services have already been cut to the bone.
5. On top of the budgetary crapfest, Kansas Supreme Court rules that the drastically defunded schools are grossly insufficient. On top of the looming $600 million deficit Brownback has to increase funding for schools by $550 million.
6. Brownback & the GOP Legislature retaliate by trying to strip the Judiciary of fundamental administrative powers and will defund it entirely if these changes are rebuked.
7. At an important campaign event for the 2016 election, a major GOP leader is decapitated in an act of treachery and an elephant's head is sewn onto his body. The morbid effigy is paraded around on horseback as Obama cackles in glee from the White House. The Kansan Mujahideen swear fealty to our Kenyan Muslim overlord, while the ensuing collapse of the Heartland leads to a weakening of border security. Mexican wights have been seen in the South in massive hordes.

Okay, #7 hasn't exactly happened yet, but with the political chaos, internal strife, and moderate VS Tea Party backstabbing that's going on in Kansas it's on the horizon.

It is known, Khaleesi.

It is known.

EDIT:

spacemang_spliff posted:

When I was in Jr High, a black classmate (the nicest girl I've ever met) walked by a really racist kid who said "Well, excuse you n-word." Her boyfriend over heard and stomped the dogshit out of the racist kid after class. The racist kid went to jail sometime after HS because he had sex with a girl w/ down syndrome.

:stare:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

spacemang_spliff posted:

:staredog:

Every post in this thread lessens my sympathy for the people of Kansas. I'm also of two minds about this situation. If you're dumb enough to utter the N-word in broad daylight where people can overhear, then you deserve whatever comes your way. A violent reaction just feeds racist stereotypes, however.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

icantfindaname posted:

If they want to burn the state to the ground in their tantrum instead of raising taxes, then godspeed to them. I guess it's easy to say because I don't live in Kansas, but the bigger a flaming disaster this is the worse it makes conservatives look

I think you'll find that Brownback and the rest of Kansas just failed Conservatism. If only they hadn't floundered we'd have a vast, prairie Utopia. Really though, the whole state was tainted by blood ties to Obama. Dude just ruins everything.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

John Brown's 1800s Republicanpansy liberal ideals continue to taint our fine legacy, no matter how hard the Westboro Baptist Church tries to warn us of absolutely goddamn everythingabsolutely goddamn everything.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Klaus88 posted:

Every post in this thread lessens my sympathy for the people of Kansas. I'm also of two minds about this situation. If you're dumb enough to utter the N-word in broad daylight where people can overhear, then you deserve whatever comes your way. A violent reaction just feeds racist stereotypes, however.

Klaus88 posted:

That black girl and her boyfriend were also the people of Kansas.

There's a weird tendency of people to say stuff like that, or like "Southerners are racist", which implicitly imply that the white citizens are the 'normal' and the minorities are not really Kansans, or Southerners, or whatever. I know you're not really doing that, but I think it's bad phraseology and it leads to stuff like "gently caress the South" or the idea that because Texan GOP people were lovely about Katrina that when Texas gets hit with flooding we shouldn't send them aid.

We don't have the option of not trying to fix Kansas. It's part of the US, and the citizens there are our responsibility. A lot of the ones acting like assholes probably grew up in a town that was 100% conservative and went to a public school where the biology teacher either avoided evolution or outright taught creationism. I'm not taking away individual agency, but we can't expect anything different from the populace of Kansas unless we manage to give them something different.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

You're right, let me fix my phrasing.

me posted:

I'm feeling a great deal less sympathetic to all the small minded bigots and racists in Kansas. That doesn't mean we should let the state burn to ground just to spite those assholes since by extension, everyone in Kansas who's not a racist will also suffer.

Better? :v:

What was Brownback expecting? An Altas shrugged style utopia with almost no government and private businesses providing all essential services?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

serious question, why don't you leave

same to anyone who lives in one of these poo poo states

gently caress, people in africa will cross the mediterranean in a makeshift boat to have a chance to climb a fence into europe and all you have to do is buy a greyhound ticket

Obdicut posted:

We don't have the option of not trying to fix Kansas. It's part of the US, and the citizens there are our responsibility.

you realize this isn't the country you live in and it's pretty much unanimous amongst those in power that the poor should suffer

quite frankly, the citizens don't want your help, if they did they wouldn't be voting for politicians who explicitly tell you(the rest of the US/the federal govt) to gently caress off

Kansas chooses its own fate and will drag anyone who chooses to stay there down into the depths along with it

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 14, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

You do realize that 46% of people voted for Brownback's opponent in 2014, right? So no, we shouldn't just lump everyone together and tell them to go gently caress themselves.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Dr. Tough posted:

You do realize that 46% of people voted for Brownback's opponent in 2014, right? So no, we shouldn't just lump everyone together and tell them to go gently caress themselves.

im not telling them to go gently caress themselves, im telling them to get out of places where the majority are self-loathing idiots because the majority rules in this country

what exactly CAN we do other than sit back and watch?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How come poor people don't just buy a bus ticket with money they don't have, sign a lease in an unfamiliar city with the credit they don't have, and in their new place rely on their support network of friends and family that doesn't exist here. Duh, how hard could it be?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VitalSigns posted:

How come poor people don't just buy a bus ticket with money they don't have, sign a lease in an unfamiliar city with the credit they don't have, and in their new place rely on their support network of friends and family that doesn't exist here. Duh, how hard could it be?

I think this is a big part of it, but empathy really does play into it. At least in my local community there's a belief that if the state really was 100% conservative things would be much worse.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

if you take a cursory glance around the world you'll find that people move with less money, to stranger cities with less of a support network in order to improve the standards of living for themselves and their families

nobody said it was easy, but I mean, there are colleges with actual young people with potential there, it's a comedy. sure, some people are "stuck" in Kansas, but there's plenty of educated individuals above the poverty line that should be getting the gently caress out if they have half a care for their future

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 14, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

down with slavery posted:

if you take a cursory glance around the world you'll find that people move with less money, to stranger cities with less of a support network in order to improve the standards of living for themselves and their families.

nobody said it was easy, but I mean, there are colleges with actual young people with potential there, it's a comedy. sure, some people are "stuck" in Kansas, but there's plenty of educated individuals above the poverty line that should be getting the gently caress out if they have half a care for their future

The people that get on boats to go to Australia or Europe or whatever have literally nothing and are often fleeing armed conflict. Most of the people in Kansas have a job and home. This is simple cost/benefit stuff.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dr. Tough posted:

The people that get on boats to go to Australia or Europe or whatever have literally nothing and are often fleeing armed conflict. Most of the people in Kansas have a job and home. This is simple cost/benefit stuff.

point being that they could move if they had sufficient desire and it's not like anyone is actually literally "stuck" in Kansas. yes, some people in the most severe poverty can't move but acting like everyone in Kansas is stuck there is pretty weak imo

Vital Signs wants to pretend like people leaving Kansas is effectively impossible for the vast majority of the poor there and that's simply not true

you're right, it's about cost/benefit, and there's a lot of people who simply don't understand the benefit they would get if they just got the gently caress out of lovely states like Kansas, forgive me for simply questioning a something awful poster for why they hell they would stay there

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr. Tough posted:

That's 401,100 voting D in a state of 2,904,000. Only 14% of Kansans get a pass. :colbert:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Because the people who can afford it should just abandon the rest that can't. Small sacrifice.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dr. Tough posted:

A friend of mine in Kansas is fighting a life-threatening form of cancer that's returned multiple times. She's gone through absolute hell, not just from the physical toll the treatment has taken on her, but from the significant time she's been forced to be apart from her infant (now slightly older) son and husband while she received treatment. She realized the other day she's more tired from her fight with the state to get the financial support/treatment she needs than she is from fighting the cancer.

She's part of that 46% and a huge reason why nobody should be taking pleasure out of seeing folks in Kansas suffer at Brownback's hands.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Accretionist posted:

That's 401,100 voting D in a state of 2,904,000. Only 14% of Kansans get a pass. :colbert:

I would imagine that some people likely had their vote repressed

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

if you take a cursory glance around the world you'll find that people move with less money, to stranger cities with less of a support network in order to improve the standards of living for themselves and their families

Which is why aid to Africa is foolish, because it just rewards those too lazy to leave for their own immorality

And yet, millions of Kansans don't, maybe their own laziness or stupidity is why they are poor -A "leftist"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Klaus88 posted:

In that story, it was the black girl's boyfriend (who probably was white because it's Kansas) who beat the crap out of the racist kid.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Some children only learn not to touch the stove after they have burned their hand. It seems like the people of America have to learn in a similar way. So the suffering of the people of Kansas is a necessary sacrifice.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Some children only learn not to touch the stove after they have burned their hand. It seems like the people of America have to learn in a similar way. So the suffering of the people of Kansas is a necessary sacrifice.

That implies the people of America will learn a lasting lesson from Kansas. If not, then the more analogous example is people who are unable to feel pain at all: they burn themselves on hot stoves because they don't recognize the signals that their actions are doing harm. In that sense, the suffering of the people of Kansas isn't a necessary sacrifice, it's pointless cruelty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

That implies the people of America will learn a lasting lesson from Kansas. If not, then the more analogous example is people who are unable to feel pain at all: they burn themselves on hot stoves because they don't recognize the signals that their actions are doing harm. In that sense, the suffering of the people of Kansas isn't a necessary sacrifice, it's pointless cruelty.

It also assumes that the GOP and its wealthy leadership give a rats rear end.

They don't. They care about money, and even with what is happening in Kansas they'll get plenty of that.

The people will suffer and they don't care.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

spacemang_spliff posted:

I wish it had been Wichita. One word. Libraries. I was an hours drive from the nearest book store and the only library in the place was a couple half assed shelves in the school that had been heavily pruned of "objectionable" reading material.

That said, Kansas was the first time I'd ever heard the n-word uttered at all ( as in, it had to be explained to me because id literally never heard and didn't understand it ) and while its use was punished I heard it used as a slur multiple times per month.

They also had an astounding drug problem. Doubly astounding given the stereotype of drugs as an urban problem. If memories of my pre-Kansan naïveté are amusing picture a 14 year old who spots a needle on the ground and assumes a diabetic has lost his insulin kit ( grandpa was diabetic and that was my only non-doctor's office association with needles ).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

radical meme posted:

So did the budget that was passed yesterday account for the Judicially mandated increase in Public Education? I read that what was passed still required Brownback to come up with $50 million in budget cuts on his own, is that the case?

I don't know how the Courts can sit by and allow a law to stand that intentionally strips them of power. That's just a direct assault on the separation of powers doctrine and the U.S. form of government. If Kansas is allowed to get away with that, every poo poo-hole gulf state will follow suit and then try to take that to the Federal level as well.

No it didn't because the Kansas government passed a law changing school funding and now everything is alright!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

im not telling them to go gently caress themselves, im telling them to get out of places where the majority are self-loathing idiots because the majority rules in this country

what exactly CAN we do other than sit back and watch?

you can also laugh.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

One presumes we should bail out Kansas because calling out the army or national guard to deal with roaming bands of well armed, hungry citizens who can't find work, feed or educate their children or find proper housing is not really the sort of thing one wants in any form of representational government.

I guess Kansas practices the "from my cold dead hands" and "survivors will be shot again" style of gun ownership?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Klaus88 posted:

One presumes we should bail out Kansas because calling out the army or national guard to deal with roaming bands of well armed, hungry citizens who can't find work, feed or educate their children or find proper housing is not really the sort of thing one wants in any form of representational government.

I guess Kansas practices the "from my cold dead hands" and "survivors will be shot again" style of gun ownership?

Well one problem is that Kansas is likely to refuse a federal bailout with its current government? You do remember that an assload of states refused free federal money for healthcare because of Obama, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well one problem is that Kansas is likely to refuse a federal bailout with its current government? You do remember that an assload of states refused free federal money for healthcare because of Obama, right?

State budget mess got so bad due to the tax cut plan some more moderate republicans suggested maybe the state should accept some Obamacare blood money.

• Locked thread