Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well one problem is that Kansas is likely to refuse a federal bailout with its current government? You do remember that an assload of states refused free federal money for healthcare because of Obama, right?

Im rather dubious that there would be good return on investment from giving money to the Kansan government. I'm usually critical of people opposing cash grants on the grounds that the recipient is to dumb to spend it wisely but the Kansan government has shown clearly that they don't understand how to invest public money. A bailout would mostly disappear down the bank accounts of the connected.

Programs that reached out directly to the populace seem like a better idea. Or lower levels of government like granting funds directly to the schools,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Wait, so taxes were cut but tax revenues declined? How can this be?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Expenditures weren't cut enough to generate a budget surplus.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

ThirdPartyView posted:

Expenditures weren't cut enough to generate a budget surplus.

But tax cuts are supposed to increase tax revenues.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

But tax cuts are supposed to increase tax revenues.

I've seen this in business students' notes at my school :suicide:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I've seen this in business students' notes at my school :suicide:

Reminder: Arthur Laffer is literally Brownback's financial advisor.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
What are your options at this point? You can't exactly declare democracy in Kansas a failure, revoke their Federal Representation and go Reconstruction 2 on them. Hell, it's Kansas, so you don't even have the Civil War precedent you'd have in the Southeast.

Like what are we supposed to do other than try to find some humor in it all? There's no upside here, no cautionary tale, nothing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Buffer posted:

What are your options at this point? You can't exactly declare democracy in Kansas a failure, revoke their Federal Representation and go Reconstruction 2 on them. Hell, it's Kansas, so you don't even have the Civil War precedent you'd have in the Southeast.

Like what are we supposed to do other than try to find some humor in it all? There's no upside here, no cautionary tale, nothing.

Maybe the Republicans in charge will get so stupid they all forget how to breathe? That could solve it.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Buffer posted:

Drinking myself to death is really helping me cope with this situation, maybe you can find some solace in it too.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
I think the plan in tea party states is to have a two term Republican governor that cuts taxes and ruins the budget. Then, they alternate back to a Democratic governor who raises taxes, fixes the budget, and then loses a bid for re-election due to raising taxes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Charmaine, who didn't want her last name used, entered the recession feeling good about herself. At 51, she was living in Kansas City and working as a district manager for the discount furniture chain Big Lots, having clambered her way up through the company's ranks over 15 years. "I started on the floor," she says. "I didn't go to college or anything like that, so my hard work got me to where I was. And then…" She swats at the air in frustration.

The recession presented both peril and opportunity for discount retailers like Big Lots, as consumer spending dropped but bargain hunting surged. In 2008, the firm took steps to capitalize on the moment. Company leaders, based in Ohio, streamlined operations by consolidating middle management. Charmaine's job was gone. "You go from 60-some thousand dollars a year—with great health insurance, company car, everything—to nothing," she says. She found herself in a job market where all the rules had changed. "Here I am in my 50s. Guess what? They want somebody with education, younger."

So she downsized, moving from Kansas City to Coffeyville to live with her grown daughter. She got a job as a home health aide for $9.70 an hour, with no health plan. Then she got sick.

It started as a mild case of ulcerative colitis, a disease marked by inflammation and sores in the large intestine and colon. At first, she didn't feel that bad, and she had more pressing claims on her limited funds than the anti-inflammatory drugs she'd been prescribed. "You know how much the prescription was? $1,000 a month," she says. "So I didn't do the medicine, which was my fault, I now realize. But I couldn't pay for it."

That was 2011 and, as will happen, over the ensuing years, her condition grew from uncomfortable to debilitating. By July 2014, it had become a crisis. "One day I got up in the morning and just—" She flinches at the memory. "Blood, solid blood just coming out of me like a waterfall."

She ended up, at Griffin's advice, in a Bartlesville, Oklahoma, emergency room, one of the nearest hospitals with a gastroenterologist. Charmaine spent two weeks there, the first of five hospital stays over six months last year. The second stay came just two days after the first. She was running an errand at Walgreen's when she lost control of her bowels. "It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever been through," she says.

This time she went straight to the local ER. They found a gastroenterologist at Kansas University Medical Center who they believed could help, but she would have to get to Kansas City, 165 miles north—an expensive ambulance ride for someone without insurance. "Here I am sitting here, bleeding like crazy, and I've got to find a way to get to Kansas City right then. Finally, they had me sign a document saying I had to pay the $4,000 if I wanted to get to the hospital. So I agreed! I signed it."

The Kansas City doctors discovered that she had picked up a bacterial infection that had complicated the colitis. Now her inflamed colon won't heal, and the upshot is thousands of dollars in medication and ongoing doctors' appointments. She's lost track of the debt she's racked up. She gets many of her meds free through drug-assistance programs, but the supply can be unpredictable. For her other meds, she's on a payment plan. When we spoke in January, Charmaine had just run out of her free anti-inflammatories. If she can't find a new source and her colon worsens, doctors will have to remove it.

Throughout this ordeal, Charmaine has continued working. In the 29 states (plus Washington, DC) that have expanded Medicaid, her income would likely put her in a gray zone; depending on how many hours she puts in each month, she could fall just over or under the 138-percent-of-poverty cutoff to qualify. But in Kansas, she's completely out of luck. She qualifies for tax credits to buy insurance, but she's struggled to find a plan in which she can afford both the premium and the cost sharing on all of her meds. She could apply for disability, but she can't imagine living on the small income that would provide, even if it did bring health insurance.

"I'm not ready to give up. I'm a hard worker," she says, before breaking down in tears. She's been taking anti-depressants for the first time in her life. "I've worked 30-some years and paid my dues, and here I can't get any help? And all these years that people get food stamps and medical cards for their children, I helped pay for that. So what about me? What did all my hard work get me?"

It's a sentiment I heard often, talking with southeast Kansas' sick and poor. Everyone is convinced that someone else is getting a better deal, that somewhere a horde of Kansans are gaming the system and preventing the truly needy from getting help. It's a sentiment that Brownback eagerly exploits when attacking Medicaid expansion and other forms of public assistance. In his January State of the State address, he pointed to a black single mom in the audience, saying she had been on welfare and was now in a full-time job. He asked her to stand with her teenage son, then lauded the "courage and perseverance" of her redemptive journey. "We will continue to move forward," he vowed, "helping people move from dependence on the government to independence."

:qq: where's my super secret black people welfare :qq:

That's the saddest thing about that article. There's a large group of people suffering and they can't see past themselves far enough to realize that others could be in the same situation through no choice of their own (layoffs, bad job market, medical emergencies, etc) instead of the myth of the welfare queen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 14, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

McAlister posted:

Im rather dubious that there would be good return on investment from giving money to the Kansan government. I'm usually critical of people opposing cash grants on the grounds that the recipient is to dumb to spend it wisely but the Kansan government has shown clearly that they don't understand how to invest public money. A bailout would mostly disappear down the bank accounts of the connected.

Programs that reached out directly to the populace seem like a better idea. Or lower levels of government like granting funds directly to the schools,

Schools are part of the government. There's really no way for the Feds to help Kansas without liberating Kansans from their government. I mean, I guess we could just give billions to the people of Kansas, but all that would do is let the Brownbacks just keep cutting and cutting and cutting because it's all working out for them. Just cut everything except elected officials salaries and let John Dole use his fat check from Uncle Sam to pave his own roads and hire private security.

I hear Brownback has been ordering aluminum tubes off of Amazon. Only thing that could be is nukes. Time for Fort Leavenworth to earn it's pay.

Clearly the problem is that they just didn't cut them enough.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Gyges posted:

Clearly the problem is that they just didn't cut them enough.

Let me tell you about the inverse Laffer curve:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Call Me Charlie posted:

quote:

"I'm not ready to give up. I'm a hard worker," she says, before breaking down in tears. She's been taking anti-depressants for the first time in her life. "I've worked 30-some years and paid my dues, and here I can't get any help? And all these years that people get food stamps and medical cards for their children, I helped pay for that. So what about me? What did all my hard work get me?"

It's a sentiment I heard often, talking with southeast Kansas' sick and poor. Everyone is convinced that someone else is getting a better deal, that somewhere a horde of Kansans are gaming the system and preventing the truly needy from getting help. It's a sentiment that Brownback eagerly exploits when attacking Medicaid expansion and other forms of public assistance. In his January State of the State address, he pointed to a black single mom in the audience, saying she had been on welfare and was now in a full-time job. He asked her to stand with her teenage son, then lauded the "courage and perseverance" of her redemptive journey. "We will continue to move forward," he vowed, "helping people move from dependence on the government to independence."

:qq: where's my super secret black people welfare :qq:

That's the saddest thing about that article. There's a large group of people suffering and they can't see past themselves far enough to realize that others could be in the same situation through no choice of their own (layoffs, bad job market, medical emergencies, etc) instead of the myth of the welfare queen.

The sad thing with this quote is that she seems to be forgetting that the system HAS helped her by getting her free medication. The real problem isn't that people are getting a "better deal," it's that the welfare programs are grossly insufficient. In our country even basic things like food stamps only act as a supplement: they don't directly contribute to solve the problem of poverty. Just ameliorate it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Look guys, it's like Senator Rubio says, "We have never been a nation of Haves and Have Nots. We're a nation of Haves and Soon to Haves. A nation of those who have made it, and those who will make it."

Just give it time. From the sound of that story, that lady's life can't get any worse, so she must be just about to make it! Keep cutting, Brownback, so we can get the rest of Kansas on the right track!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I will admit, I benefit from Obamacare, and my employer relies on government grants, and I also use public roads. What I'm saying is, I'm the welfare leech assigned to ruin this lady's life, and I couldn't be happier.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Isn't this going on in the majority of states with a high number of state House and Senate republicans vowing no increases in tax revenue. That's how it is in WA State anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The very image of the master race.

im gay posted:

Isn't this going on in the majority of states with a high number of state House and Senate republicans vowing no increases in tax revenue. That's how it is in WA State anyway.

Nobody has been able to go full Laffer like Kansas yet. Everyone else has too many dummy reasonable people who haven't let it happen yet. Which isn't to say that other states haven't found a way to advance towards hell hole status in different ways.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf Brownback can easily say he's improved the economy when all of the Kansan poors are dead

e: I know America has trouble with politics anywhere to the left of Reagan, but someone in Kansas should seriously form a state-wide populist party with a localised anti-trickle down message, like the SNP or Syriza or Podemos or whatever, otherwise folks'll vote in bona fide fascists somewhere down the line

Venomous fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 15, 2015

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Gyges posted:

Nobody has been able to go full Laffer like Kansas yet. Everyone else has too many dummy reasonable people who haven't let it happen yet. Which isn't to say that other states haven't found a way to advance towards hell hole status in different ways.

I don't think you can call anyone reasonable if they suffer republicans/tories to live.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

VitalSigns posted:

And yet, millions of Kansans don't, maybe their own laziness or stupidity is why they are poor -A "leftist"

who said anything about poor lmao? I said college students u dense retard

mb post less and read more

-a "person" who is not affiliated with ur stupid political labels

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

down with slavery posted:

who said anything about poor lmao? I said college students u dense retard

mb post less and read more

-a "person" who is not affiliated with ur stupid political labels

Ah yes, all those rich fatcat college students.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ah yes, all those rich fatcat college students.

yes, college students are traditionally part of the middle class, not "the poor"

tldr if you're a well off person living in Kansas, you're probably a loving idiot

if you don't wake up every day in Kansas saying "how am I going to save up the $250 for a bus ticket to Seattle" you are doing it wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yes, college students are traditionally part of the middle class, not "the poor"

Yeah if you live in 1934 maybe.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

tldr if you're a well off person living in Kansas, you're probably a loving idiot

if you don't wake up every day in Kansas saying "how am I going to save up the $250 for a bus ticket to Seattle" you are doing it wrong

"Why don't people pursue the most economically logical course of action at all times?" - noted goon down with slavery

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

"Why don't people pursue the most economically logical course of action at all times?" - noted goon down with slavery

it's not even economically logical its just plain a better life

"hmm do i want to work for minimum wage (maybe) in a poo poo state with tornados, insane religious people and rear end backwards politics or would I rather do literally anything else in a place where the minimum wage is twice what it is here and there isn't an intellectually damaged majority keeping me down"

escape now before it gets any worse kansas goons

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Please pay attention to down with slavery's red text. I have never seen anything gained in a conversation with him.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
you're right it's much better to post about how we should save them from themselves because we know better

-an ivory tower liberal moron

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It must be nice to be the average Kansasian, whom all apparently have the financial security to relocate their life halfway across the country

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It must be nice to be the average Kansasian, whom all apparently have the financial security to relocate their life halfway across the country

i too am incapable of understanding that the entire population of Kansas does not live in destitute poverty

TheBeatlesRock
Aug 11, 2005

What I don't know, I can fake. But cash only. I don't take checks from college students.

"hmm do i want to work for minimum wage (maybe) in a poo poo state with tornados, insane religious people and rear end backwards politics or would I rather do literally anything else in a place where the minimum wage is twice what it is here and there isn't an intellectually damaged majority keeping me down"

Pretty much this. I guess you could be one of the people that are already rich and be alright with the fact that your accumulation of wealth is coming at a massive cost to those least able to afford it. In that case hat's off, stay in Kansas.

Basically I'd rather be sick in New Hampshire, or like 30 or so other states, than well in Kansas.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Whoa, now, these are people who won't be able to afford a second bus ticket. Seattle's too expensive. Please refer them to one of the green counties pictured below:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i too am incapable of understanding that the entire population of Kansas does not live in destitute poverty

If 3 million people leave Kansas in close succession, it's going to be mad expensive and hard for any of them to find housing and jobs in other places, most of which already have pretty tight markets for both.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

If 3 million people leave Kansas in close succession, it's going to be mad expensive and hard for any of them to find housing and jobs in other places, most of which already have pretty tight markets for both.

yeah thats why I'm telling the goons to get out now before you're forced to because the state even gets shittier

what exactly is the endgame here? who is going to fix this poo poo in Kansas?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yeah thats why I'm telling the goons to get out now before you're forced to because the state even gets shittier

Thanks, insane man. I'm sure that really helps all 6 goons who live in Kansas and can afford to leave, none of which will ever read this thread.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks, insane man. I'm sure that really helps all 6 goons who live in Kansas and can afford to leave, none of which will ever read this thread.

lol there's already like two that have posted in this thread (not to mention the thread has 50x views), do you just assume they are living in destitute poverty? I mean, I asked the guy why he didn't leave, maybe give him some time to answer instead of jumping on me for crucifying the poor or whatever you think im doing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lol there's already like two that have posted in this thread (not to mention the thread has 50x views), do you just assume they are living in destitute poverty? I mean, I asked the guy why he didn't leave, maybe give him some time to answer instead of jumping on me for crucifying the poor or whatever you think im doing

No I assume, since I am not an insane man, that they have responsibilities and other things that they can't afford to break to move. Since you are insane, you do not understand this.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

No I assume, since I am not an insane man, that they have responsibilities and other things that they can't afford to break to move. Since you are insane, you do not understand this.

Yes because everyone makes optimal choices in their self-interest on their own by utilizing their built in CPU

maybe we should just subsidize firmware upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yes because everyone makes optimal choices in their self-interest on their own by utilizing their built in CPU

maybe we should just subsidize firmware upgrades

Insane man, please describe how they will be able to afford to leave.

• Locked thread