Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hi everyone and welcome to the next part of second go-around/alternate route summary runthrough! This time, we have three more scenes, which I think may prove slightly more interesting than the ones we saw last time! So let's start first with another interesting bad ending!

CHAPTER 4: REVEALING THAT IT'S THE REAL SUKEKIYO ON THE SECOND FINGERPRITING GATHERING!

At the end of the chapter three, you will recall, Matsuko summoned everyone back to the house, for the actual fingerprinting of Sukekiyo to finally occur (without even realising that at this point Shizuma and Sukekiyo have exchanged places and she had the real Sukekiyo with her in the house). Of course, the fingerprints are a match and everybody is relieved. However, on the second playthrough, here it's possible to trigger an extra scene which leads to the discovery that Sukekiyo is the real one, with intact face, and ultimately to another (very) bad ending! So let's see how that goes. We join the story just after the successful results of the fingerprinting have been announced.

(With this, the idea from Suketake-kun and Suketomo-kun, that this is an impostor, appears to have been shattered.)
(But...)
(Despite the results that were just announced, the atmosphere in this place still seems wrong somehow...)

Ah, nothing...

(I don't know what the heck it was, but...)

We've all heard the conclusions of the forensics expert, Fujisaki-san.
Does anybody have any objections to the results of the comparison? If you do, you should better say it now.

Looking at your silent faces, I am going to assume that you don't have any objections. In otherwords, you acknowledge that this person is Sukekiyo.

They leave.

All right, let's just use that keyword, shall we?

Tamayo-san, if there is something, please tell us.
But there is nothing to...
No, that's a lie.
I know that you're hiding something.
I'm not hiding anything.
Then what did you want to say after the comparison results were announced? It must be something that only you could notice. Perhaps it's something that only you and Sukekiyo would know?

Once more...?

His face? But why?
I can't exactly explain it either, but I would just like to look at it...

Chief Tachibana.
What is it, Kindaichi-san?
Can you get Sukekiyo-kun to come back here quickly?
Sukekiyo-kun? But didn't we just...?
I understand, but it can't be helped. Please call him.
I don't understand why, but it seems I have no choice. Plase wait here.

He leaves.

(I don't know why I'm going along with Tamayo-san here... but it seems that there is something more to her reasons for suspecting Sukekiyo-kun that pure logic or evidence.)

A few moments later...

Despite agreeing to do the fingerprint comparison, you are now calling us back here again. What is it this time?

If Sukekiyo wants to do it, I don't mind.
Sukekiyo-kun, a moment please?
Yes.
Thank you.
As you know, we are holding a wake after this, so please be brief.

That would be the wake for Suketake since this is happening on the same day when he was discovered murdered.

But it seems to me that Sukekiyo-san after the demobilisation is different from before...
I don't know how to explain it since I know that you memories and physical condition may have changed due to wounds suffered in the war, but you don't seem like the Sukekiyo-san I know and it's making me worried...

If you can show me your face now after the results are positive, it would help me regain my confidence...

And of course, as we already know, it's the real one this time!

! ! !
Su-Sukekiyo! What is this!
Mom...
But it's him...
Please everybody, calm down. Everything... yes, I will explain everything. Mom, I will tell you everything...

And now, it's time for the... Kindaichi epilogue narration, one more time!

(Sukekiyo-kun slowly explained the truth. It turned out to be a weird set of coincidences like a set of gears, each of which was moving others without any of them being aware at all of the others' existence.)

A good way to characterise this story, if I may say so.

(But the bottom line was this. All the murders were done by Inugami Matsuko. And as for the mystery of Sukekiyo-kun's face, it was just a simple exchange of places that nobody realised was going on.)
(The person with whom he had exchanged places was the name which came up in the reading of the will: Aonuma Shizuma. And after finishing his story, Sukekiyo-kun left to meet him at the pre-arranged place.)
(But Shizuma didn't show up. Whether it was because he had sensed something, or because this was his plan from the beginning, we don't know. It seemed that with the disappearance of Shizuma, we'll never fully solve this mystery, but...)

(What exactly happened at the scene of that horrible incident? We didn't know, as there was nobody left alive to testify.)
(When the police received the call from the maid, all the members of the Inugami family were already killed. The reason this could not have been prevented was because we had all assumed that Shizuma had "run away". But it seems that the aim of Aonuma Shizuma, who was unable to obtain the inheritance in the end, may have simply been revenge against the Inugami family.)
(Shizuma, having achieved this, simply smiled when the police came to arrest him.)

The Inugami Family: Unsolved.

So, that was pretty gruesome... the reveal of real Sukekiyo causes Shizuma to go on a rampage and murder the entire family! I'm definitely going to say that this ending is unambiguously bad! Oh, you might think that this ending is quite spoilery since it reveals Matsuko as the real killer, but there is no need to worry. As mentioned, you cannot see this ending on your first playthrough, so it's all good!

For the rest of this update, we have two scenes which do exist in the book, and fill in some details of the plot that remained at least partially unaccounted for in the first go around.

CHAPTER 5: CONVERSATION BETWEEN SAYOKO AND TAMAYO

In this chapter at one point we learn that Tamayo was again attacked in her room by the war veteran person, just after the wake. There we have a chance to talk to different people regading what happened the previous night; one of those people is Sayoko, the sister of Suketake. She makes the following comment to Kindaichi:

But then she says that Tamayo didn't really want to discuss, so in the end nothing happened. In our second playthrough we now get to see the scene of their conversation and we can learn what it was about. We start in the hallway, outside of her room.

Tamayo-sama.

Eh? Oh, yes. You mean about your late brother Suketake-san? If so, I don't think I have much to say...
No, it's not like that...

Sayoko-sama wants to talk in private. Can you please go somewhere else for a few minutes? Sayoko-sama, please come in.
Thank you.

Then, in Tamayo's room...

It is true that I had met with your brother shortly before he was killed. If you have any doubts, I will try to explain as much as I can.

Huh?
There is something else that I want to talk to you about.
Something else? But what could it possibly be?
I don't think I should need to explain in quite so much detail, but...

Ah, so when she said that they talked about "her brother", she really meant Suketomo, not Suketake...

Tamayo-sama, what exactly are your intentions on this topic?
What are my intentions about... I don't...

You should be able to easily guess where this one is going!

I am worried because he seems to have changed from how he used to be.
Huh.

Tamayo-sama, are you going to marry Suketomo-san?

I think the phrase you're looking for is "well, that escalated quickly".

That... I can't answer that.
All right, that's it... now I'll tell you!
Aww, you're hurting me!
If you ever choose him, I will never ever forgive you! Never!
Please! Calm down!
I don't know what you might be thinking, but I am not doing anything with him. I haven't done anything and I'm not going to.
I see.
I hope you remember that!

And so, the "mystery" of Sayoko's pregnancy is thus resolved. As you can see, it seems to have not much to do with the main mystery. Either way, it does provide one more update to our relationship diagram at this late stage in the game! Unsurprisingly, the only change is to mark the relationship between Sayoko and Suketomo:

(Click to embiggen!)

I am also pretty sure that we are done with the incest at this point! We do, however, have one last added scene to see for today!

CHAPTER 5: THE KIDNAPPING OF TAMAYO

So, of course, you will recall that Tamayo got kidnapped by Suketomo, with less than honurable intentions at this point in the game (which also ultimately led to his demise). In the second go around, we can actually see how it all happened.

Warning: Although there is no graphic imagery, Suketomo is very explicit when talking about his intentions, so if this is something that makes you uncomfortable, exericse caution with this section. Regardless, this is a fairly uncomfortable scene, but it is in the book.

In any case, we find Tamayo running around the house, trying to evade her guardian, Saruzou.

He goes away, but then...

...I'm going to suffocate here. I need to get out for a bit.

And she goes out on a boat...

Nice weather today...

(Too bad it's not going to last for much longer... the cold season is coming.)

She dozes off, floating on the lake.

Tamayo-san?
Y-yes?

I was looking for you everywhere. What are you doing out here?
Ah, Suketomo-san. What is going on?
Yes, the chief and the detective have come to the house. They told everybody to gather together as there's something serious to discuss. Please get in my boat as we need to be there quickly. I'll send somebody to fetch your boat later.
Let's go quickly, as it seems they've found some new important evidence!
Understood. Please take me there.

But as soon as she climbs into his boat...

Ah, wha--

...he puts her to sleep.

(He he. You have no idea how long I've been waiting to catch you alone! Nobody knows where we are, especially the idiots in the house!)
(Because the kind of fun I'm having in mind with you does involve a little rape... he he he he.)

He takes her to the old house...

(So far, so good. Now all the inheritance and the power will be mine! And so will she!)
(Now, while she's fast asleep... he he he he.)

But, suddenly, a creak of the floorboard is heard!

! ?

More creaks...

He goes out to have a look...

More creaks...

Crap! Crap!
I... I know you're there, come out!

He tries to run out of the room, but...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Some time later that day, Saruzou receives a phone call...

That's not important right now. Rather what is important is Tamayo-san.
Huh?
She is currently in the old Inugami house in Toyohata village. She is in the room up the stairs and to the left. Please come and get her immediately.

Ssssh. It's best not to raise a fuss about this for now. Just come over here quietly, alone. If anyone else finds out... it may be uncomfortable for Tamayo-san.
......!
Don't worry, she's just sleeping.
All right, goodbye.

And from there, the story continues as normal. Whew, that last scene was definitely a bit...

In any case, that's all for today. Next time we'll see the last batch of added stuff in the second playthrough and then... I guess we're finally done with this game!

For now, since I've been neglecting this a bit, let me leave you with some shots from the film!

First of all, here is Tamayo, baiting Sukekiyo (but really Shizuma) with the watch...

...only to carefully preserve the evidence after he refuses...:

...so that she can give it to Suketake (yes, this scene is filmed in black and white like that):

And here are Tamayo and Sayoko having a "conversation" where Sayoko reveals that she's pregnant with Suketomo's child...

All right then, until next time!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That bad ending feels like a bit of a jump. "We didn't find Aonuma Shizuma and everything got confessed so...he went and murdered everyone". It feels like we missed a chapter there.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yowch. I forget, was the forced fingerprinting an option on the first playthrough or no?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The extra scenes showing things that our detective did not see does show that Tamayo really is trying to figure things out more and kind of makes it less potential that she's the one behind the killings.

Granted, I'm not sure how much of that opinion is retroactively justified hindsight but eh.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tomanton posted:

Yowch. I forget, was the forced fingerprinting an option on the first playthrough or no?
If you're talking about the one in the previous update where it's discovered that it's actually Shizuma, then yes you can. The one we just saw where the real Sukekiyo is unmasked, that one you cannot.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That bad ending feels like a bit of a jump. "We didn't find Aonuma Shizuma and everything got confessed so...he went and murdered everyone". It feels like we missed a chapter there.
Yeah it's weird like that, it just suddenly shifts to, "oh and by the way, Shizuma killed everyone". To be honest, I'm not really quite sure what was the reasoning behind this "second playthrough" thing; in the end it feels a bit weird, because up to now the game story was being told strictly from Kindaichi's perspective, and now we somehow throw in the towel a bit and, "here's a couple of extra scenes that we weren't sure how to fit into the regular game". I mean, think about it, they added a second playthrough to a... detective mystery game! So clearly any extra content is not going to be able to be essential to the mystery (and there is really only one thing in this category--the whole watch business--everything else is a couple of added short scenes and a couple more bad endings which you can't get on the first playthrough).

In any case, and that brings me to my main point... there is only one update left until the end of this game, so seeing as I apparently intend to keep this thread running until the heat death of the universe itself (or possibly even further than that), we need to decide what to play next. I do promise this time to not unilaterally change the decision though, but I think it was worth it this time because this game was pretty decent as far as that goes and probably better than the ones we looked at as voting choices.

Anyway, here are the options:

Option 1: Play the second Kindaichi game
As was mentioned already, there is another game in this mini-series by From Software, based on another Kindaichi novel: "The Village of Eight Gravestones". Mechanically and visually the game is pretty much identical to this one--it looks the same, plays the same, has all the period-appropriate newspapers to read, and you also again have to deal with the ever-changing relationship diagram as you progress through it, because you bet your rear end that that one too has a crapton of characters, but this time also some from a more distant past (Sengoku period, late 16th century) although the main game action is set in post-war Japan, just like this one!

Option 2: Play another (slightly shorter) game first to clear the palate and then go back to Kindaichi
And by play another game, I mean really "give it a try". I'm not doing the Batista thing again--if the game is not good or if it turns out to not be that interesting based on the reactions, we stop it and move on to the second Kindaichi game. I do have a game in mind for this already, and although it's still going to be a crime-solving chapter based VN, it's actually not a DS/3DS game this time to mix things up a bit!

So, what do you think?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How do you feel about it? If you're feeling Kindaichi burn-out, absolutely go for Option 2, else Option 1 could be neat to keep who we know going.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'd say option 2, keeps things from getting too repetitive

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, palette cleanser sounds good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's do option 2. I wanna see what's in the box.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

How do you feel about it? If you're feeling Kindaichi burn-out, absolutely go for Option 2, else Option 1 could be neat to keep who we know going.

Kindaichi burnout? Yeah, probably a litle bit, although I really would have been fine with the choice going either way. :)

Nevertheless, I think it's not a bad idea to take a break before going back to the second Kindaichi game--and we're definitely doing that because I really enjoyed the first one, but it does require a bit more effort than typical since I did want to be able to e.g. provide context for all newspaper articles where I could. Often, it's not even possible to find any information in English, like for example with that article about the suicide of the owner of that lending company--ultimately it turned out that this is a well known case so there was an article on Japanese wikipedia, but sometimes you have to dig even deeper. So a nice and relaxing playthrough of a different game would serve as a good break before going back to it.

By the way, I'm just amazed how many different TV/movie adaptations there are of Kindaichi novels--if you think about something like Poirot or other Agatha Christie characters here in the west, it's literally like that, there are tons and tons of them. And for the more popular ones like "Inugami" or "The Village of Eight Gravestones" there is typically at least 5 or 6 different ones. For some reason it seems that during the 1970s it was in particular a popular thing to do, although there are many others even from 1990s or later. In fact, the film I have been posting screenshots from (which is from 1976) was remade in 2006 by the same director and in 1996 he also filmed an adaptation of the "Village" too! So, yeah.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess it's kind of like how people keep rebooting and remaking superhero franchises here in the west.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would liken it more towards Dracula and Frankenstein.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I vote option two as long as you promise to get back to our birds nest headed hero Kindaichi afterwards.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tomanton posted:

I vote option two as long as you promise to get back to our birds nest headed hero Kindaichi afterwards.

That is definitely guaranteed as I'm also interested in the second Kindaichi game, especially as it begins with these kinds of scenes:

It also seems to feature another weird family at its centre (but possibly actually weirder than Inugami). Not to mention an old samurai curse!

So there's no chance I'm going to be missing out on that one!

But, we'll talk about that in a few months when we're done with the other game (or sooner, if it turns out to be a dud!).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'll vote for Option 2 as well. Can't wait to see what game you've got planned!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

All righty then, let's see one last bit with extra scenes/bad endings/alternate paths!

CHAPTER 6: SAYOKO KILLS TAMAYO!

At the beginning of chapter 6, Tamayo is being interviewed by the police and Kindaichi after having been recovered by Saruzou from the old house where she was brought by Suketomo (whose fate isn't yet known at that point). At one point, Sayoko joins that conversation wanting to know what's happened to Suketomo (at the time we didn't know why she was so insistent, but of course now we know), and you have to not really give her an answer in order to be able to proceed. However, if you start pushing the question about why she is so obsessed with Suketomo, things escalate quickly into another bad ending!

Considering that Tamayo was nearly raped by Suketomo, her calmness here is a bit odd. But then again, most of these bad endings feel a bit odd since they've been shoehorned into a story which is already mostly pretty tightly constructed.

(Did I just imagine it? It seemed to me that there was a bit of an unusual level of attachment going on there.)

Also, we have already established her alibi. Therefore, let's find out more about what Tamayo-san was talking about before.

Ha ha, no way. We're going to follow our hunch and use that keyword we just got!

Of course, we know that she has in fact told Tamayo everything.

Kindaichi-san, are you still going on with this?
No, I think this is really important. She seems to care about him as more than just a cousin.
While it may be as you say, it's hardly the time to talk about that right now.
No, I don't think you're right. Sayoko-san has been behaving strangely ever since Tamayo-san came back. Perhaps she knows something.

Tachibana-san, would you mind calling Sayoko-san over? I want Tamayo-san to also stay here and watch her.
All right, please wait here while I go and find her.

No...
(I think I'm on the right track here, but... am I really? She seemed obsessed, but is it really related to this case? She may be just a bit temperamental. And also, as Tachibana-san had said, she does have an alibi in the first place. Maybe I should let this go.)

In the meantime, Sayoko arrives.

(She came... but maybe I shout just tell her to go back.)
So what is this about?

"Tell her to go back" is our way out of this hole. If we want to avoid the bad ending, we can choose this keyword to get the conversation back on its original course. Of course, since we came here to see the bad ending, we're not doing that! Instead we'll tell her that Suketomo is responsible for Tamayo's kidnapping.

Isn't that right, Tamayo-san?
Well, I don't really know what his intentions were. I was drugged by Suketomo-san, and after that I don't remember...
By Suketomo-san...?
That's exactly what I wanted to ask you, Sayoko-san. Just now, you were asking Tamayo-san about Suketomo-san...

Do you know something?

Are you sure you don't know anything?

The police can deal with this later.

Sayoko just runs off at this point.

Ah, w-wait!

Tachibana-san, please make sure that she is put in custody. She's an important witness!
She!?
Yes. She definitely knows something. We should bettter listen carefully to her story.
Then let's interrogate her. I'll have someone take her to the station.

Tachibana leaves.

(I can't believe Sayoko-san is involved... It seems that there are more secrets here than I originally thought. But maybe this will help us to get to the core of this mystery.)

Shouting is heard from the hallway...

Stop! This is dangerous!
Shut up! Move out of my way!
What is going on over there...
Hey! Somebody stop her!

He he he... Ahahahahaha...
Call the doctor, quickly!
No, don't bother... doctors can't cure her now.
Ahahahahahahahahaha!
Sayoko-san, what did you...

Well then, let's hear the summary by Kindaichi...

(Later, the hospital informed us that Tamayo-san had died. The cause of death was excessive blood loss from a knife wound in the neck. Once again, I was not able to prevent a murder from happening right in front of me.)
(A few days later, the police searched the old Inugami house based on Saruzou's testimony and found a tied up corpse of Suketomo in the second floor bedroom. However, due to pressure from the bereaved family, his death was classified as an accident. A quiet funeral was held for tamayo and Suketomo which was kept to immediate family only.)
(In the end, as a result of this case, four people were killed and one ended up hospitalised after a severe nervous breakdown. Feeling keenly my incompetence, I was dismissed from this case by the family.)
(From time to time, I still hear from chief Tachibana, but I have not set foot in Nasu again after this incident.)

Considering that Sayoko already got a bit violent with Tamayo in the scene we saw last time, at least this ending is plausible from the story standpoint, so it feels a bit less forced in my opinion.

CHAPTER 6: MATSUKO IS KILLED BY HER TWO SISTERS!

This happens at the end of chapter 6, when the other two sisters are already getting upset with Matsuko and start to believe she's the killer. It's possible use the right keywords, and then after, when Kindaichi goes finally to talk to Matsuko...

What is it now?
Eh, well, it's...
Can you please hurry up with it? I'm in the middle of my harp lesson.
A harp lesson?

But, before the conversation can go anywhere...

The other two sisters burst in!

W-what now all of a sudden!
Don't you already know?
Eh?

Yes, that's right...

If we had dealt with at the time, this wouldn't have happened now!

Sister, you can stop pretending now. I think the fact that you've killed someone is more embarrassing...
Killed... what?
You may have already heard about it from the detective, but... Suketomo was found, sister. His strangled corpse was discovered in the old house in Toyohata.

Sayoko-san was also at the scene. Seeing Suketomo's dead body, she had a nervous breakdown. Nobody knows if she'll ever be able to return to normal.

I see now what's happened. This must be quite disheartening for both of you, Umeko-san, Takeko-san. I'm not sure what to say to you...

W-what are you.... ngh...
Shut up... you murderer! How dare you... Suketake...
Ah, no! Stop! Please!

But she is killed by her sisters. Let's see the final comments from Kindaichi.

(This was the last incident in this case. One of the sisters died, the other two were arrested.)
(If you think about it, it's a bit of a strange coincidence. This case both began and ended with me being unable to stop a murder from happening right in front of me.)
(Regarding the inheritance, Tamayo-san ultimately chose Sukekiyo-kun. Considering that the other two candidates were dead, this was an inevitable outcome.)
(Some time later, Chief Tachibana send me a note that the case was closed, but I was left with a somewhat uneasy feeling in my chest.)
(In the end, I decided to try and forget about this whole case in Nasu.)

So this is actually very similar to the previous one, and also quite spoilery in a way. I'm pretty sure you CAN get this ending on the first playthough but it does require a non obvious use of keywords, so probably most people would not stumble upon it by accident.

Anyway, before we finish, there is one more thing....

CHAPTER 9: A FEW MORE WORDS ABOUT THAT WATCH

There aren't any added scenes in chapters 7 or 8, and we've already seen a couple of bad endings from those chapters, so let's move on to the final part of the game. In the second playthrough, during the last conversation with Sukekiyo and Matsuko, it's now possible to find out a little bit more about that watch.

First, during the conversation with Sukekiyo, Kindaichi talks to Tamayo for a bit, trying to figure out why Shizuma broke into her room, but they don't come to a conclusion. Now that we know about the watch, this goes a bit differently:

That is, it was no you he was after, but something that was in the room. Do you have any idea what that may have been? Like some evidence that he would want gone, that he thought might be in your room?

The watch that holds the memories of Sukekiyo-san...
The watch... huh?
Yeah, probably...
I see... so he came looking for the watch, and found it missing.
(So that means there is only one person who probably has it now... we're getting closer to the truth, but it's still going to take some effort.)

And then the conversation goes back to how it was. But later on, you can ask Sukekiyo about this watch, by using the keyword you just got.

Yes, of course. It's the men's pocked watch that her grandfather gave to Tamayo-san. Anyway, since it's an old watch it would often break down and stop moving.

Therefore, since it's our shared memory, I assume Tamayo-san tried to use it as a test to figure out who is the masked man and what were his intentions.
This is just my guess, but I expect that by handing this watch to him... she attempted to get a fingerprint from a man who claimed to be Sukekiyo.

I didn't know it then, but I think that's likely.

Again, here we return to the normal course of this conversation.

A bit later again, we can bring that last keyword up with Matsuko (since Kindaichi suspects that she has the watch in the end).

It wasn't with Tamayo-san, it wasn't at the scene, and it also wasn't found on Suketake-kun's body. Then, perhaps... you have it?
The person who has the watch is the culprit who killed Suketake, right?
But we don't need to talk in such a roundabout way. Watch or no watch, I killed Suketake.

I killed them all... Suketake, Suketomo, Wakabayashi... and also, that nuisance of a man, Aonuma Shizuma!

And then the conversation goes back into the whole story about him not being able to marry Tamayo, and so on.

So this concludes the business about the watch, and to be honest, I am not sure why this was simply not included in the first go-around. Perhaps they felt they needed more material for the second round (I mean, not counting the bad endings, there is really not that much extra content), and since it wasn't strictly essential to understanding the mystery, then it got pushed into the second playthrough. I don't really know.

This also concludes our playthrough of this game, as a matter of fact! Although I can hear you asking already, but, didn't you promise us a second ending? Well, I did, and the walkthrough I have claims there is one, but I'm pretty sure I did everything right, and the ending I got was the same as the first time (although all the other extra content appeared where it was expected to appear). So I don't really know what else you need to do to get the second ending, but if we look at the book, there is only one thing that is currently missing from the ending as we already saw it. Namely, before she commits suicide, in addition to asking Tamayo to take care of Sukekiyo, Matsuko also asks them to make sure that the child of Sayoko and Suketomo is also provided for, which to everybody's surprise Tamayo accepts to do. Apart from that little bit, there was nothing else missing in the first ending, so I suspect that that's what's added in the second round, since that's where the whole story about Sayoko's pregnancy really plays out properly. Interestingly, this is another thing that the book glosses over a bit, like with the revelation that the harp teacher is really Kikuno, there is not really any detail about the reactions of family members upon finding this out (after a big deal is made by Tachibana and others how they need to tread lightly about it). In any case, it's a fairly minor detail which is not really worth worrying about.

So, as mentioned, this is about it for this game, I hope you enjoyed it, because I sure did (even if some of the extra second round content was a bit of a mixed bag here and there)! It was a fun and (in my opinion) well constructed old-school detective mystery, that was decently adapted into a game. Not to mention the added benefit of getting a lot of interesting little tidbits about life in post-WW2 Japan, which is a time and a place probably most of us here are not very familiar with. We'll get to the second From Software Kindaichi game in due course, but in the meantime, in a few days you can look forward to our little "palate cleanser" game, so to speak.

Until then, I will leave you with two final screenshots from the film, with the first one depicting Kindaichi running to board his Tokyo-bound train at Nasu station, after solving the case.

And then...

(The End.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, so you never hear shizuma's side of the story.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, given the incest thing, it came up unrelated when I was doing some research for a project, but cousin marriages was actually considered not that big of a deal in that time - it was only when we started to have a better understanding of genetics and there's great mobility for the general population (so wider pool of marriageable partners) that it starts to become a taboo and/or the butt of jokes.

Not that is to say that makes any of the gnarled relationships in the clan any healthier, just contemporary readers of when it was originally published wouldn't be quite as repulsed by it as modern ones.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Those scenes felt really vestigial and for the most part didn't do anything for the story IMO.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SSNeoman posted:

Those scenes felt really vestigial and for the most part didn't do anything for the story IMO.

I agree, they seem mostly just to try to get some replay value, which is kind of an issue for pretty linear games like these.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I have to agree, this whole thing with the second playthrough seems forced in and not in a good way--I don't even know why they did this, because the game is fine as it is.

But to be compeletely clear, other than a couple of bad endings, the only actually added things are: (a) the conversation between Tamayo and Sayoko about Sayoko's pregnancy (this could have been simply included in the normal playthrough via Tamayo telling about it to the police), (b) Tamayo's kindapping (we already knew or could infer more or less all we needed to know about that one--therefore if the goal was to keep the POV on Kindaichi, this one scene could probably have been omitted completely); and (c) the business about the watch (apart from the brief conversation between Matsuko and Sukekiyo about it which really served no purpose, this whole thing could have been a part of normal playthrough as-is and pushing it to the second lap just made the whole thing awkward).

Apart from this, there are also a couple of bad endings that you can only get on the second playthrough and that's it--the other stuff, such as meeting Wakabayashi and most of bad endings you can already see on the first go around. So it's kind of a half-baked thing shoehorned into a game that really didn't even need it. I have also concluded that most of the bad endings aren't really that interesting, so I will probably not go into as much detail when covering the extra scenes in the second Kindaichi game (and you better believe that it follows the same pattern as this one, but what can you do, sigh--the rest of the game is good and very much worth playing, so...)

Anyway, yeah, sorry that these last couple of updates were not especially interesting, but at least now we have a whole new game to discover, so let's see how that goes in a couple of days! :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Well, this exists.

SelenicMartian posted:

Incidentally, are there many Japanese dentists on the forums?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Use the healing touch to stop the bioweapon that makes cavities!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is it safe?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Well, this exists.

quote:

Incidentally, are there many Japanese dentists on the forums?

All right, stop everything! We've found our next game! There is no way that we can play anything else but this!

Ok, I'm just kidding, I'm not playing this thing, even if it's literally titled "THE Dentist-san" ;)

On a more serious note, I'm working on the first update for the real next game and that should be posted this weekend. Sorry about a bit of a delay, it takes me some time to get organised with a totally different game platform. But the good news is, I have also been aple to rip the high quality music files from the game ISO so I'll be able this time to post also clips from the game's score (which you'll definitely be wanting to give a listen to, for reasons which will be explained in the first update!).

Rockopolis posted:

Is it safe?
Ha, I got that reference!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ivantod posted:

But the good news is, I have also been aple to rip the high quality music files from the game ISO so I'll be able this time to post also clips from the game's score (which you'll definitely be wanting to give a listen to, for reasons which will be explained in the first update!).

Awesome! I really loved the OST links to LifeSigns, it really elevated things.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 12, 2020

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

All righty then, let's have a look at our next game! And here it is:

I've posted two different covers that the game was released with over time, where a somewhat stylish look has been applied! In any case, the game is called アナタヲユルサナイ (Anata wo yurusanai), a title which, thanks to the ocassional vagueness of the Japanese language is a bit hard to translate, but let's just say that it means something like "You will not be forgiven" (which was indeed the game's official English title on the publisher's website--even though the game ended up being Japan-only).

As you might read from the cover, the game was published in 2007 by AQ Interactive, a company you may or may not have heard of, but they used to be the corporate parent of outfits like Cavia and XSEED (before it all got merged into Marvellous), so they are not exactly an unknown.

Apart from the fact that, as you might guess, the person depicted on the cover is our main character and that the game consists of five chapters in which you solve detective cases, I'm not really going to say too much else at this point, especially since the game will anyway do its own exposition dump right at the start.

Actually, a couple more things...

First, as you can see, for this one, we'll be moving to Sony's PSP platform, which means much improved graphics and sound compared to what we've experienced so far (although, this being PSP, it does mean a slightly awkward screen size which on screenshots comes out as either a little too small or a little too big). Presentation wise, this game is actually a bit special, as we'll see in just a moment!

And second, speaking of sound, this game features a pretty great score/soundtrack--the reason for this will also become obvious in just a couple of minutes; but in any case, the soundrack features mostly funky jazzy tunes, including some old standards from Gershwin and others. What this means for you is that I will actually be posting the links so you can listen to the music while you read--I just think the score is that good so I would highly recommend that you click on them!

Well, all right, can't keep putting this off any more, so without further ado, let's start the game!

Oh, hey, isn't that neat! Don't you just love it when the first thing you get when you start a game is a warning sign? What could possibly be wrong this time...

Oh... I see. Looks like the game wants us to...

...hold the console vertically! Although on a console like Nintendo DS I'm aware of several games which do this, I've never seen it so far on a PSP game. Well, we'll see how this works out, but for our LP it does mean that I will sometimes post multiple images side by side. In that case, they will be meant to be read in the "western" order, i.e. from left to right--just so that there's no confusion over that. Also, since we are on the topic, the usual reminder that all names will be in Japanese order, with family name going first.

All right, having passed this hurdle successfully, we can now start the game proper. Since the intro is quite interesting, I'm going to be "quiet" for a bit!

What is that anyway?

Well, my father explained it to me a long time ago...

When the ball goes there, you can never find it again. But he always said, he liked to play there.

Why? Why would you want to play in a place like that? The thoughts of adults seemed strange to me. Golf is supposed to be a bit of fun when the weather is nice. Why would you bother playing on a course full of tall grass?

He worked hard to become the chief of the investigative division... but then, he just simply decided to give up on that.

It was because back at that time, my mother got sick.

The doctors said there was nothing more they could do. It was liver cancer.

My father had told me that when he learned that my mother had only six months to live, he became really depressed.

Still, he desperately took care of her, and she lived for three more years.

I remember my mother, but I'm not really sure how real that memory is... maybe I just look at the photos that are left of her and think that I remember it. It's like remembering anything from back when you were six.

Although that's a pretty ordinary sounding name, it is a little bit odd to have a private detective agency work out of a former kindergarten building.

(At first, I had intended it to be only until I found a job... but, unexpectedly it turned out to suit me.)

By the way, it's probably best if you get used to the narration by the main character, as there's going to be a lot a lot a lot of it in this game.

Ririko, got a sec?

Um, sure, what's up?

Sure thing, should I partner up with Yuuji again?

Nah, I'll give you the details later.
Gotcha. Talk after then.
Oh, hey, Mayumi...

Do you have the statement of expenses?
Oh, it should be on your desk...

Gotcha.
(Kusanagi is usually quite busy, so I have to make sure he knows he can rely on me.)
(According to the report... our client is named Kamiya Shizuka. It seems we need to investigate a potentially cheating husband of hers. Well, that's pretty standard stuff... Yuuji and I should be able to sort it out easily.)

So I let this go on for a while without comments, because the dialogue really seems to be moving quite fast at least in this initial part, but let's pause so I can mention two things... First of all, as you can see, we are in a full on exposition dump mode; don't worry, soon we'll be done and be getting on with the case itself. And second... something tells me that this is probably going to be anything but standard in the end!

Um, well, you know. What's up?
Ah, nothing much. Just was wondering where did those sweet buns go... I thought that there should have been a few left in the refrigerator.

He is talking about a typical Japanese sweet, manju: rice and flour buns, usually with red bean paste filling. They look like this:

By zisk - Self-photographed, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6854452

I thought you were not supposed to eat sweets?
Oh, these are a bit different.
You're going to get your blood sugar up again. In any case, I have no idea about the buns.
Fine, fine, I'll just ask Mayumi-kun.

Well. As you can see, our leading lady Ririko has a super healthy situation going both in her personal life and in her work life and there is totally no weird blurring of boundaries there at all. This can only end well, I'm sure. Not to mention, referring to her father as "Boss"...

Anyway, no time for that, as we are about to meet our new client, Kamiya Shizuka, who apparently has some issues with her husband's fidelity. Let's see what that's all about.

Sorry to keep you waiting!

Thank you.
It seems this used to be a kindergarten here?
Yes, my father bought it and had it renovated. Incidentally, your name is...?
I am Kamiya Shizuka. Do you need to see an ID?
No, that's fine.
I already send all the details in writing...
That's ok, we'll just go over the basic facts quickly. You requested to investigate the possibility that your husband is cheating?

Your husband's name is Kamiya Shuichi, is that right?
Yes, that's correct.
He works at "Tokyo IT", as a systems engineer.
Correct.
When would you like us to start the investigation?

Ah, we prefer not to start the investigation on the same day... gives the people a chance to cool off, just in case.
I'm calm.
I guess you are... but this our rule, such as it is.
Well, that's a bit annoying.
Anyway, are you going to be at home tomorrow?
...I was planning to go out in the afternoon.
Then, would it be okay for me to come by in the morning. We can offically start the work then.
Sure.
Then, here is the expense projection. Please take it with you. Thank you for your time in coming here.
All right, until tomorrow.

Well, Shizuka certainly seems mildly standoffish... we'll see where that goes.

So, here the game tells us that we can press "up" on the D-Pad to view the report--you might have noticed the button prompts at the bottom of the screen already!

Yeah, just hold on a second, we haven't finished looking at the report. Anyway, if we press "up", this is what we get:

It's basically like a summary of the case so far, but there are also some highlighted words (in this case they are just the people's names) that we can click on to get a more detailed info. So, let's see what's in there.

I was asked by my husband Kusanagi Manabu to meet with a new client. Her name is Kamiya Shizuka and she wants to investigate the cheating of her husband, Kamiya Shuichi.

Not much there for now, but it will expand as we work on the case. For the time being, let's see what's behind the highlighted names.

Kusanagi Manabu: Chief investigator at the Takeuchi Detective Agency. Also, my husband.

Kamiya Shizuka: Our client. She is suspecting that her husband may be having an affair.

Kamiya Shuichi: The target of the investigation. Kamiya Shizuka's husband, works as a systems engineer at "Tokyo IT".

Oh, yeah, here's what the "more details" screen looks like (this one is for Kusanagi):

Generally I will be posting these as text (like I just did above), so we won't be seeing these screens much (unless there is something really interesting to see on them, of course). Anyway, let's get back to our story. Kusanagi, you were saying...?

Ah, well, you know, your typical pampered wife... seems like a run of the mill affair investigation.
But, did you take a closer look?
A closer look?

There's another game mechanic that's about to get introduced... this game is nothing if not front loaded will all the exposition and tutorials. But I guess it's probably good as we get that over with and can then continue playing without interruptions!

I guess I'll have to explain it...

And I'll summarise it so we don't get too bogged down in long explanations.

Basically, during the dialogues, sometimes you will get a "check" symbol in the upper right corner, like so:

This means that you can go into the "check mode", which allows you to observe the person more closely and focus on a particular detail. Sometimes, there will be only an additional description to be read about it, but sometimes you can also trigger a conversation with the other person on that topic.

For example with Kusanagi, we can focus on his eyes:

(There is a challenge in the way he's looking at me. He's testing me.)

In this case, we can also focus on the ring on his finger:

(Huh? I don't know that ring. Did he buy a new one?)

This one also gives us a "talk" option, which means that we can also raise it as a topic of conversation if we want.

When did you buy that ring?
So you noticed, huh? I got it yesterday.
Oh, did you?

If you just listen to the other person absentmindedly, you will miss out on important information. So make sure you do this properly.

He also gives us brief instructions on how to save the game and indicates that we should definitely save regularly, especially after something important happens. Obvs I will not bore you with the details of that particular tutorial, so let's just move on with the game!

And so he goes on his way...

(Ah, he's gone already... Must be busy, I guess.)

Her thoughts are interrupted...

Ririko?
Huh?

Hm? Oh, right, yeah. Say, Yuuji, what exactly does a systems engineer do?
Ah, I guess I forgot you're a total anti-talent for technical stuff...
Well, I can bang out an email, but that's about it...
All right, well, you should know at least what a programmer does, right? So the systems engineer is the person who figures out a structure of what the programmer will develop. Like if the programmer was a carpenter, then the systems engineer would be a building architect.

Before we can continue this conversation, we are given the "check" option on Yuuji. Here we can check out his glasses, in order to get a bit of an extra dialogue.

(I think he wears glasses because he's nearsighted.)

Yuuji, how come you don't wear contacts?
I don't really like having foreign objects in my eyes... also, they tend to get dry when I work at a computer.
Hmm...
Anyway, where were we...
Systems engineer job?
Since you're not into technical stuff, just remember that's quite an involved job.
Would it even leave him enough free time to be cheating?
I guess, if he wants to cheat, he'll find time, won't he?
Well, I suppose so. Anyway, what's the plan? It seems like a pretty run of the mill case...
At least based on this report yes.
I'm going to visit our client in her home tomorrow morning. I assume you're going to stake out her husband?
Sure, let's work separately for the time being.
Well, it can't be helped. Everyone else is busy at the moment.
All right then.

And this does indeed conclude the first in-game day! While Ririko is sleeping, I'm just going to make a note... not sure if it's the same for you, but somehow it seems like the dialogues in this game have a slightly different feel than what we're used to so far. I don't know, they somehow feel a lot faster paced, almost like they've been stripped of all unneccesary words or something like that. This is also noticeable in Japanese, among other things by an almost complete lack of honourifics and an extremely casual talk between Ririko, Kusanagi and Yuuji. Ririko's father and Mayumi (and Shizuka, of course) are a bit more standard in the way they talk. Either way, I'll try to make that "sparseness" in the dialogue come across as much as possible.

As promised, the next morning, Ririko is arriving at our client Shizuka's house, in order to discuss the case in more detail.

Thank you for coming over yesterday. Today we can talk in a bit more detail about everything.
I don't mind. We can discuss anything.
Then, let's go into it immediately. How did you come to meet your husband originally?

One of my friends was dating a friend of Shuichi's.

Again, before continuing, we can do a "check" on Shizuka. Some of the things Ririko can look at:

Necklace: "She's wearing a rather expensive necklace."
Here there is no additional dialogue.

Her face: "An innocent looking face with soft features. You wouldn't think she's been married for a while."
Here, we can find out a bit more.

You are very youthful looking.
It takes some effort... I visit a beauty salon twice a month, and also have my nails done.
That often...
Isn't that just normal? My friends all do the same. Even as a detective, you're still a woman, so you need to take care of your looks, right?
Eh? Um, well... I guess, I...
I mean, as a young woman, it's only natural, no?

Uh, that was a bit awkward! But, nevertheless, here is a more interesting thing to look at:

(On her left hand finger, a ring with a large diamond is glittering.)

That's a nice wedding ring...
Well, he worked hard for it.
When did you get married?

Talking to you like this, you seem to be quite happy?
You think so?
Yeah, it certainly seems that way.
Well, I suppose you can say that I'm not particularly unhappy. Of course, there is that whole thing with my husband's cheating.
Around when did you first start suspecting him of cheating?

When it was really bad, he wouldn't come home for three or four days at a time.
That's not so good...
Well, it wasn't that bad. We don't really have dinner together anyway.
You don't usually eat together with your husband?
Well, we'll go out for dinner together on weekends and such. The timing doesn't really fit so well on workdays, since I'm busy with my lessons.
Lessons?
Yes, on Mondays and Thursdays it's a tea-making course, on Tuesdays and Fridays the flower arranging, and now also on Wednesdays I am going to a confectionery making class. I've been going to tea and flower courses since before the marriage, so I can hardly stop now.
Then, you don't really see your husband all that much, do you? His job as a systems engineer, is it difficult?
Ah, sorry, systems what?
Didn't you write "systems engineer" as his occupation?

Ah, who did you talk to at the company?
Director Arakawa. Actually he's the one who introduced us.
Once a friend asked me about Shuichi's profession, but I couldn't tell them. Director Arakawa very kindly explained it to me.
What made you think your husband is cheating?
What made me think?
You know, maybe he received a phone call from an uknown woman? Or maybe he suddenly started dressing better? Or you caught a glimpse of his mobile phone itemised bill...?
Oh, nothing like that.
Nothing like that?
There weren't any strange phone calls. Also, I am the one who buys clothes for him anyway. And I wouldn't dream to look at his phone bill.
But, then what made you think that he's cheating?
I just asked him about it directly, "have you been cheating".

Uh, that doesn't really answer the question... then what made you ask?

And then? What did he answer?
He said, "no I haven't".
And then?
That's it.
So there must have been something?
There was nothing.

What they call the "female intuition" I suppose?
Maybe. I guess you can say that.

So you want us to investigate with nothing to go on by?
Well, isn't it your job to look for evidence?
I guess so. By the way, what if nothing comes out of this?
I don't believe that will happen. But if there really is nothing, then I'll apologise to my husband.

A side note, I quite like these "pillow shots" that the game will ocassionally insert around the beginning or end of a dialogue scene (of course in this case it's literally a pillow, but...).

All right then. We'll start the investigation.
Thank you.

But we're not quite done yet...

Oh, right, can I borrow that photograph from your wedding?
Sure, but why do you need that photo? I already gave you a picture of my husband yesterday.
Ah, sorry, I just wanted a photo of Director Arakawa, the person who introduced you two. Also his address.
Wait just a moment, I'll get it for you.

A moment later...

Thank you. Then, I'll borrow this.

Well, that sounded all kinds of messed up as far as that married relationship goes, but we'll have to figure that out as we go. For now, though, it's time to leave.

(Flowers, tea, confectionery? Not the kind of stuff I can relate to. Although I don't think she's a bad person, she seems really stubborn...)
(However, as the boss likes to say, "the first impressions are everything". But then, what exactly is my first impression here? A woman who, like a piece of confectionery, has no real depth to her? I don't know, but if I were a man, I don't think I would be able to live with somebody like her.)

Wow, Ririko, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

And then, after quite some length of play, finally the game decides to give us the title of the first chapter (or episode as they are called in this game)! Incidentally, all chapter titles are in English and are in fact the titles of well known jazz songs! "Satin Doll" (you might not know the title, but you have absolutely definitely heard the song before) was written by Duke Ellington and Johnny Mercer, and you can click here to hear Duke Ellington and his band perform it!

And then, back at the office/kindergarten...

...it looks like that the boss/our father wants to talk to us about something? However, before we do that, let's see how our case report looks now.

I was asked by my husband Kusanagi Manabu to meet with a new client. Her name is Kamiya Shizuka and she wants to investigate the cheating of her husband, Kamiya Shuichi.

Visited the Kamiya residence and met with Shizuka. Ut seems that Shuichi has been staying out frequently over that last six months, but there is no evidence of cheathing at this point.

Received the photo and the address of the person who introduced them, Director Arakawa.

Not much there for now, but it will expand as we work on the case. For the time being, let's see what's behind the highlighted names.

Kusanagi Manabu: Chief investigator at the Takeuchi Detective Agency. Also, my husband.

Kamiya Shizuka: Our client. She is suspecting that her husband may be having an affair.

Kamiya Shuichi: The target of the investigation. Kamiya Shizuka's husband, works as a systems engineer at "Tokyo IT".

Arakawa Hideki: The accounting manager at "Tokyo IT", where Kamiya Shuichi works. He introduced the couple and was at their wedding.

One thing I should probably note is that when the same person's name is bolded multiple times in the text, both links go to the same place (e.g. in this example with Shizuka).

All right, now let's see what the boss/our father wants from us.

Yeah, well, you know... What's up?
Nothing, just... I thought I might disappear for a bit.
Golf?
Yeah, something like that.
Where are you headed?
Ah, haven't decided yet. I'll give you a shout when I leave.
Gotcha.
Sorry, I know you're busy.
No, it's not a problem. What's wrong?
No, nothing. I was just saying sorry for interrupting your work.

That totally wasn't awkward at all. I think we may have to work a bit on fixing this particular relationship (not that it's hugely better with our husband, it seems, but...)

Speaking of whom...

Nope, it was a complete bust. We're starting from zero here.
Well, I guess that's fine as the customer had said that the money is no object.
Is that so?
Have you heard of "Kamiya Pharmaceauticals"?

The one that advertises on TV?
Yes. Her father is the chairman. Her husband Shuichi was adopted into the family after becoming the son-in-law.

Ok, I can already see the confused faces, because if Kamiya is actually Shizuka's maiden name, then why does her husband also have it? In Japan, like in most western countries, it's common for a woman to adopt her husband's name after marriage. However, in Japan, there is a concept called "mukoyōshi" (婿養子), which literally means "adopted son-in-law" or "adopted husband". This typically happens when there is a "well established" (for whatever meaning of that) family without a male heir, but with a daughter of a suitable age; then she will marry a man (usually chosen for her) who is well suited to running a business. Then this man is basically adopted into the family and takes his wife's surname. Basically, this can happen in any situation where the woman's family is considered to be of a "higher rank" than the man's. Also, this is nothing new, and the same practice has been going on for centuries already. Then presumably, Shuichi's boss not only "introduced" them, but acted as a sort of a "matchmaker" in what is now looking like it was mostly an arranged marriage of sorts. In any case, we'll see how this develops.

Also note that this husband is actually legally adopted by the family for real--this kind of adoption currently makes up about 98% of all adoptions in Japan. This is how many of Japan's most famous companies remain "family run businesses", such as the car maker Toyota.

Also, "Tokyo IT", where her husband works, is a subsidiary of Kamiya Pharmaceauticals.
That is to say, they have Shuichi completely by the tail.

And here we get also a check option on Kusanagi:

We can get comments on the following things:

Necklace: "Necklace I gave him for his birthday. He always wears it."
No additional dialogue.

Mouth: "I feel he's putting an unnecessary emphasis on 'adopted son-in-law'."
No additional dialogue.

Eyes: "When it's about work, he's always very serious."
No additional dialogue.

If there is anything to click here that yields any extra dialogue, I've not found it. I had a look also at a Japanese LP of this game, but the person playing also couldn't find anything here, so maybe there isn't.

Now let's continue the conversation from before.

If he angers them in any way, it's not just a divorce, but he would also lose his job and everything else. That's not such an easy position for a husband to be in.

Umm, we ARE still talking about Shuichi here, yes?

Well, yeah, I... I guess it wouldn't be.
It's a lot of pressure. So it's a bit strange that he would let his feelings wander like that.
However, we haven't even confirmed yet that he is actually cheating.
You're right. Unfortunately, I am busy with another case which may take some time to resolve, so I won't be able to help.
That's ok, I'll proceed working on the Kamiya case.
All right.

Well, it can't be helped, I guess we need more people...
Well, you could make me be a full fledged investigator like you...
Don't even joke... I'm still barely even there despite all my hard work.

You don't even have time to speak comfortably with your husband, do you?
I guess we're both used to it.
But, you haven't even been on a honeymoon?
Well, soon.
For how many years have you already been saying that then?
Two... I guess?
Isn't there somewhere you would like to go?
To be honest, I don't mind. Anywhere is fine.
How can you talk about it so casually? If you don't take a break, you will not be able to go on like this forever, you know.

It's time for a check! Let's see (all three options give extra dialogue):

Her figure: "A slender, model-like body that makes me envious."

Trousers: "She is really into fashion."

Face: "A boyish look that goes well with natural make up."

Unfortunately, in some cases, you can only choose one of these to talk to. But I'm pretty certain that the game doesn't let you miss the important ones. However, here we do have to choose, so I guess let's talk about fashion?

You have good dress sense, you know.
I don't really even wear any famous brands at all.
Brands don't even matter if your coordination is not good.

Is it just me, or does there really seem to be a huge obsession with brands espacially in parts of East Asia, like Japan and South Korea?

He he, don't praise me so much!
Well, it's all true. I'm really envious of your figure.
What are you talking about, Ririko-san? You look great!
Not really. I always feel a little chubby...
Well, that's better than being as slim as me. When you're not so curvy, many clothes don't fit you so well.
Yeah, but sometimes my back hurts and I also get stared at by men, which is not so pleasant.

All right then, do you want to switch? Let's exchange!
All right, all right.

Well, that was a fun bit of conversation, but now let's go back to brooding!

(My mother died when I was very young. So I suppose this was my father's way of caring for me.)

Unfortunately, there is. And here is Yuuji, to give us a report after a day of stalking Shuichi...

Dined alone in a bistro near his office. Went straight home after that. During that time, didn't meet with anybody, or call anyone on the phone. He was alone throughout.
So, it was a total washout.
What about you?

Arakawa Hideki, 48 years old. That's it.
Who?
He is a director in the company where the husband works, and he introduced them. I got his photo and the address, but no idea if it's going to be useful for anything yet.
Otherwise?
Nothing. According to Shizuka, cheating is an instinctual thing. By the way, Yuuji, about Shuichi...
Hm?
Kusanagi tells me that he's an adopted son in law and that his father-in-law is the chairman of the parent company. Also, his wife is a bit...
A bit...?
Chilly. So I'm not surprised if he would end up cheating.
So?
Are we seriously going to investigate this one?
Is she really so terrible?
Ah, maybe not... but I just don't like her.
So you don't want to bother with this?
Emotionally, I don't. But I guess we have to.
Well, you know how it is.
Yeah. I just don't like it.

Some time later...

Probably not the best idea in the circumstances, but you do you, Ririko!

In any case, we find ourselves in "Limelight", Ririko's favourite bar!

What's happened, you're on your own tonight? Where's the husband?
Lately, he's busy... so he doesn't have time for this kind of thing.
Is the boss also away?

He won't be back tonight. Gone golfing.
I'm jealous...
He says it's important to be able to entertain the clients... so, you know.
Ah, don't talk like that. It's not easy for him either. Isn't it only recently that he's been able to go on a golf course comfortably again?
Well, I suppose. But when I was little it always semeed to me that he was going a lot.

Campari, with water.
Coming up.

Sorry you had to wait. Here's your Campari with water.
Thanks.
In the past, the boss said how you had always wanted to come with.
What do you mean?
I'm talking about golf. He once took you to the course, because he just couldn't refuse you.
When was this?
I think it was before you started the elementary school. I guess the boss got into a golf club back in his student days. I hear he was quite skilled.

We'll return to the conversation, but now it's time for a check (and also our first chance for a bad end in this game, believe it or not!):

Bowtie: "A black vest and a bowtie is the typical bartender attire."

Badge (on his chest): "The badge says 'Munakata'. Apparently that's actually his name"
I suppose the joke here is because it's written like this: 宗像, where the first kanji means "religion" and the second "symbol, figure", so you know, because he was a priest and all...

Eyes: "He's looking at me with a gentle expression in his eyes."
Here we get some extra dialogue. You can also trigger a bad end here, but let's select it anyway!

No point in looking at me like that, but if you want a refill, just let me know. Should I make you another one?
Thank you.

So, I said, bad end. Basically as the conversation goes, you'll have constantly the opportunity to do the "check". Everytime, he'll give you a drink refill. And, well, eventually, Ririko gets way too drunk and quite belligerent at that... so she gets thrown out and you get a... game over! I can go back and show this if there is interest, but we maybe a bit burned out on bad ends at the moment? Let me know.

Anyway, getting back to our previous conversation...

It seems that you who were normally quite a rascal, became quiet on the golf course. I heard that he took you there a lot after, because you kept bugging him.
Hmm, I can't really remember...
Your mother had already died at that point, right?
Probably. My mother died when I was six.
It seems that you went around the course together.
Yeah, I remember that a bit... I wasn't even able to hit the ball properly.
Do you still like golf?
When I was a student, I went with the director a few times, but not so much anymore.
Busy?
No. It's just Kusanagi is not really interested in golf.
So what is his hobby?
THE STUPID HORSES!
I mean, I like horse racing. But he just looks for a break in the investagtion to go and buy and off-track ticket.
And you don't like it?

I like the animals. Horses are beautiful and it's fun to watch. But I hate gambling. What about you?
I don't like it either. Even though it looks fun, it's really a serious thing.

And so, back at the kindergarten...

(I would sneak out of bed, and looking at the illuminated office windows, I would start counting.)

Sound of the swing going back and forth...

(1... 2... 3... 4...)
(I would always decide that I would go back to the room when I'd finished counting to 100, but then I would just change my mind and keep going.)
(100... 101... 102... 103... I would continue until I would hear father's voice telling me to go back to sleep.)

And with this, we shall stop for now.

It has been a long two days for Ririko, and it has also been a long first update, but you know how I like to get things going with a longer one at first, so we don't get lost in exposition for weeks!

Next time, we'll definitely get on with some proper detective work, and start figuring out exactly what is going on here.

So, that's the beginning of our next game! I wonder what everybody's opinions are!

As for me, I find it fascinating the kinds of games you find in Japan which never ever leave that country (and this isn't some random low budget shelf filler--I meam come on, it has music by Uematsu!). From the technical side, I also like it visually, although there was not that much variety in this update--but that will start getting better as we get more into the case.

The story is certainly interesting, and clearly there's going to be some kind of an overarching story, what with the whole house fire seen in the intro and all that; but we haven't really seen any of that yet.

Anyway, thoughts? Opinions? Do we continue with this? Anything else?

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 20, 2020

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

This seems very interesting! I can see the personal relationships getting more complex as this goes further.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Our protagonist's interpersonal relationships are totally healthy, and she's totally not repressing any sort of negative emotions over anything!

On a serious note, I do find it telling that the first bad end you can get basically at the start of the game is to get trashed and angry.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I doubt he's talking about his own house (especially since that's apparently owned by his father-in-law) so you probably meant the other K last name here.

Also man...I know I'm repeating what's been said already here but nothing about this woman's relationships looks good. She calls her husband by his last name (which they apparently don't share?) and their relationship is absolutely more like co-workers than husband and wife, her relationship with her father is cold and distant, she's perfectly willing to get so drunk that the game ends right there and then...yikes. Not like our other marriage here looks particularly better, it's clear that the wife is not a great person and her husband is likely in entirely for the economical benefits of the relationship. Seems broken marriages and weird father/daughter/son-in-law relationships are the name of the game here.

But hey, on the plus side, Uematsu music! I love him so much I went to see him live so I'm always up for that.

On the bad ends note, I'd rather see them all. Bad ends are always fun and they add to the LP.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
looking forward to some painfully messy relationship drama

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've never really been sure if the brands thing was real or just, what was depicted in East Asian media. Product placement.
Eh, I must just be getting overly cynical without the cool, refreshing taste of Tsingtao beer.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We've been putting off the honeymoon for 2 years? Jesus lady.

So we have a husband who likes gambling and is in a loveless marriage. That surely won't blow up in our face.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, this is not gonna bode well, especially with how our protagonist didn't just say it - she yelled about his gambling habit, which suggests a lot of pent up anger of either she bottling up her issues or she had previous tried to talk about it and got stonewalled or told to drop it.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

I was so excited for a protagonist in a relationship; it’s unusual in these types of stories. Too bad it looks to be an unhealthy marriage.

I’m interested to see where this all goes. As far as the bad ends, unless they’re really interesting, I’d say don’t worry about showing them off.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
When the husband was introduced I was initially thinking, "oh, a married lady detective! Novel! So this guy's totally going to die to raise the stakes later" but now it's established they are in this weird and awkward territory, maybe not.

Also the way everyone's eyes are drawn kind of freak me out a little, I'm not sure what it is.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I doubt he's talking about his own house (especially since that's apparently owned by his father-in-law) so you probably meant the other K last name here.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened! I've fixed it now, thanks.

I'm glad that everybody is finding this game at least somewhat interesting. I mean, we'll see how it develops, but it certainly has an interesting beginning.

Also, I hope that everybody is OK with the format--and by this I mean the size of the screenshots and the size of the text on them, that sort of thing, but also the decision to sometimes put more than one image next to each other. I feel for example that I was able to present the opening intro in a much better way by doing it like this instead of having all images one after the other vertically on a page. But, nonetheless, if you see any issues with this, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regarding the character design, in case you like it, here is actually the website of the artist who did them: https://st-artdream.com/. I do like that they are not stereotypically anime looking!

Also, speaking of Uematsu music, here is the version of the game's opening theme performed by his band "Earthbound Papas":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7QsxDaBlCc

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kitala posted:

As far as the bad ends, unless they’re really interesting, I’d say don’t worry about showing them off.

I'll second that. Otherwise, the game looks interesting so far! There's gotta be more to the whole cheating thing than appears. People don't just suddenly decide for no reason that their spouse is probably cheating on them without any suspicious activity. It's probably too early to speculate, but what the hell: I bet that the lady isn't happy with the marriage and wants an excuse for her husband to get disowned so she can marry someone else or be single.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shoeless posted:

I'll second that. Otherwise, the game looks interesting so far! There's gotta be more to the whole cheating thing than appears. People don't just suddenly decide for no reason that their spouse is probably cheating on them without any suspicious activity. It's probably too early to speculate, but what the hell: I bet that the lady isn't happy with the marriage and wants an excuse for her husband to get disowned so she can marry someone else or be single.

Honestly that's my thought, it seems like the marriage was arranged, her 'I don't care if cheats long as he didn't lie about it' is a huge flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well now you have to finish this game or else everyone will never know about their speculation!!!

:v:

About bad ends, my opinion is show if interesting otherwise don’t bother. Even knowing you can do one here is enough for me.