Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome to LifeSigns: Hospital Affairs--you may know this game also as LifeSigns: Surgical Unit if you live in the US, as there it was published under that name; it's the exact same game though. It's basically a localisation of a Japanese Nintendo DS game, published by Spike and named originally Medical Intern Tendo Dokuta 2: Balance of Life (I can see why they changed the name). The game was originally published in 2005, and US and EU versions respectively in 2007 and 2008.

Above you can see all three covers, in increasing order of garishness (EU, US, JP).

So, you might be wondering about that number 2 in the Japanese title? Well, turns out, this game is actually a sequel to another DS game (entitled appropriately Medical Intern Tendo Dokuta) but this one was never actually released outside of Japan. So, yeah, we have here a sequel to a game that was never released in English. But don't worry, there are very few references to the first game, and if I hadn't told you this now, you would never even have noticed that much is amiss. But, to make things even easier, I will even show the relevant parts of the first game in situations where it actually does matter; it's going to be quite a while before we get to that part though. See also the note on this below!

In any case, this sequel covers the second year of residency of a medical intern named Tendo Dokuta (not coincidentally, Dokuta is also Japanese transliteration of the English word "doctor") and the shortest description would be that it is a cross between the Trauma Centre series and the Phoenix Wright series. Some would maybe rather say "bastard child" instead of "cross", but I actually like this game (and anyway, the first game, released in 2004, actually predates the Trauma Centre games, believe it or not). If you want a comparison to TV shows, let's say that this is Scrubs to Trauma Centre's E. R. Although the storylines can get just a touch melodramatic on occasion, the tongue remains firmly in cheek, and many of the characters are just as whimsical as those in Phoenix Wright.

What about gameplay? Well, it's basically a visual novel where you sometimes have to do stuff such as: diagnose patients, perform operations, and a few other things. If nothing else, medical part of this game is much more grounded in reality compared to Trauma Centre (although that doesn't mean that operations are easy).

Finally, a word on localisation... this game remains thoroughly Japanese, so it's not set in some weird Los Angeles full of buddhist shrines, and all characters retain their Japanese names, to the point that the game actively uses honorifics most of the time (which I personally find a bit annoying, but eh). Translation is a little bit careless, and we'll see a few blunders on that topic, mostly related to wrong pronouns being used to refer to a person (male/female mixup) which can be funny every once in a while. I will try to correct this where possible when it happens. The bigger issue is that localisation of more specific Japanese customs and culture (of which there is lot in this game) is often bungled in very bad ways. In these cases I will try to provide some comments on what is actually being said/talked about, based also in part on the original Japanese version of the game which I will be checking in parallel for exactly these reasons.

Before we begin, just two notes:

1. There aren't really huge mysteries to be spoiled in this game, but nevertheless if you post please at least use spoiler tags and exercise best judgment.

2. While this game is most definitely an equivalent of a PG rating, it does feature infrequently drawings of people's naked torso midsections during examination or operation parts. If you don't want to be seen browsing stuff like that, exercise caution, although no actual nudity of "naughty bits" is ever seen. In fact, the very first update features some of this so you can get an example. Let me know if you want me to mark these parts somehow or do something else about it.

A final note from my future self:

The original intention was to show only a few short bits from the first Japan-only game, but ultimately what ended up happening is the playthrough of the entire second half of that game, plus some relevant bits from the first half were included below. They are in updates 54-68, and while strictly speaking, they are not 100% necessary for understanding the sequel, I would strongly recommend reading them anyway (best is to simply read them in sequence exactly where they are listed below), because: (a) the first game is a lot of fun and has a more focused plot with almost no filler, and more importantly (b) it really does help to clarify where all of the characters stand in relation to each other. Note that this was translated from the original Japanese by yours truly, so it's hardly super-polished, but the plot should be understandable enough, regardless. :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
OTHER GAMES PLAYED IN THIS THREAD

Note: all of these are played blind (or with a help of a guide) and have been (clumsily) translated from Japanese by yours truly.

Anata Wo Yurusanai (You Will Not Be Forgiven)

(currently playing)

A PSP game about a private detective whose messy private life interferes in a bad way with the cases that she's trying to work on. Features very cool art style and a jazzy soundtrack produced by Nobuo Uematsu!

Go to the first post by clicking here!

The Inugami Family

A mystery visual novel by FromSoftware, starring the famous Japanese detective Kindaichi Kousuke. This one is about weird happenings after the will of a recently deceased corporation president is read! Set in the late 40's Japan, it also features a number of interesting historical tidbits and a decidedly unique art style--no anime to be found in this one!

Galileo

A visual novel game based on a popular Japanese TV show whereby an eccentric university professor (seen above on the left) and a rookie police detective (seen on the right) together solve weird murder cases which seem to have been caused by supernatural causes (but invariably in the end turn out not to have been!).

The cases follow the TV episodes closely, but the game looks good visually and in the end was a lot of fun to go though.

The Glory of the Batista Team

This one turned up in a desperate attempt to find more medical games after finishing both Lifesigns games! Wish I knew then what I know now, as this game didn't turn out to be super fantastic. If you do read this, feel free to skip the second case as it's complete nonsense and will just make you annoyed. The first and the last case are ok, and the third case gets by just about.

The game features a team of investigators from the Japanese Ministry of Health who investigate weird medical cases (e.g. suspicious patient deaths on the operating table, that sort of stuff).

Also, the weird name of the game is just the name of the first case, becasue that one is based on a book/movie/tv show. The other three cases were written especially for the game.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 26, 2020

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hey, I know these guys, they did Dangan Ronpa... luckily this game is nothing like that one, so we're good.

...Suzu-sensei...

Really?!
There are no emergency patients today... We can finally relax a bit.

Suzu-sensei...

This is actually a reference to the first game, which covered first year of residency. There will be more of these references, but as mentioned, most of them don't really impact the story, so they are safe to ignore.

You've taught me so much, Suzu-sensei. I am really grateful.
You're being hasty. There is still another year left in your internship.
That's... true. I'm told that a new intern will be joining us this year. I'll have to work even harder.

Oh...?

Tendo, come closer...
But... I...
Why are you hesitating, Tendo?
But... it's just that...

Dr.Tendo!
Hoshi-san! What are you doing here?
Dr.Tendo, you asked me to meet you here, didn't you?
I... I did?!

You're out here, looking at the cherry blossoms... With her...
No, this is... a misunderstanding... Right, Suzu-sensei?

Oh! ... Professor Sawai!
Why are you out here looking at the cherry blossoms with Professor Sawai?
No... Suzu-sensei was out here a couple of minutes ago...

That's...

A sudden shot of a speeding ambulance....

...are you doing here?

Wait, where did all these people come from? Most of them are actually characters in the game who we'll meet in due course, so don't worry about remembering their names right now.

Chief Nurse Florence... where did you come from?

...your emergency!

Dr.Ueto, you too...

The patient... will die...

...sake!?

Could not have put it more succinctly myself, really!

Ah, well, that explains a lot.

That's... stupid...?
Doctor, are you OK? Are you having a bad dream?!
What? Where is everybody?
All of the other doctors have gone home.

Wait, is he like alone in that hospital or...?

(I see... That's the night shift for you. I must have fallen asleep... Wow, what a strange dream...)
What time is it?
Around 10 pm.
Why are you still here, Hoshi-san?!

...longer than I have.

What's going on?
A patient just came in by ambulance. You'd better take!a look.
I see. Let's go.

And finally we get an episode title... there are five in total, but they are quite long each. This is a looong game in general.

Thanks, game, for letting us now we are in a hallway. Because it's really not obvious at all.

What is the patient's condition?
The patient's name is Asuza Inose-san. A 21 year old female. She's complaining of nausea and severe abdominal pain. She collapsed at work, and was brought in by ambulance.

Note taken: Asuza Inose: severe abdominal pain.

I'll explain this in a moment, but basically these notes allow us to bring these topics up in a conversation with someone else.

(Hmm... appendicitis?)

It may not seem so, but this is actually also a reference to the first game... but we'll get to that soon.

(If so, I wonder how long it's been since the pain started.)

Note taken: Asuza Inose: suspected appendicitis.

For now, we get another one of these.

As soon as I've examined her we'll run the standard tests. Can you get them ready?

Finally, we get to actually do something! It's not really much, though, just those two buttons at the bottom. The transfer button simply allows us to go to a different part of hospital, and we'll see it inaction in just a moment. Medical Record is just the same thing as Court Record in Phoenix Wright...

...various important facts and objects are stored here, for us to be able to "present" them when the need arises! This we will also see in action in just a few moments. Let's look at what we have so far other than the two notes which we've seen and which are in the middle...

This one just shows us briefly who we are... Dr. Tendo, second year medical intern.

I guess like the attorney badge?

By using the Transfer button, we are presented with a hospital map highlighting the available locations. It's a really big hospital! Normally, locations that have another person present in them will have this noted like in the example below.

If we choose the circle on the right, it's the examination room--the game helpfully shows that there is somebody there, but we don't know who. For known characters the game will simply show their portrait here.

Ok, let's head to the examination room.

...to him.

We can skip this bit as she explains how to talk to people. She does succeed in making it sound a little bit dirty, though. (Don't worry, the game is strictly PG rated).

Also note the first instance of pronoun trouble in translation (since our patient is clearly female, not to mention that it was said explicitly in just a few sentences ago!). This will happen somewhat often, or at least more often than it should--darn that Japanese language and its lack of gender in grammar!

In any case, I will generally correct these when they come up so they don't impede following the story. Does not seem they ever even played through the game once it was all translated... or they did and just did not care. The English version of this game did get a bit of a red-headed step-child treatment, unfortunately.

OK, well, let's talk to him... er, I mean her.

If we present one of our notes to her, we can get more information--indeed, most of the time this will be required in order to progress the plot. We don't get penalised for presenting the wrong thing, though.

Did you collapse at work?!
Yes, I work at a nearby school. One of the students was fooling around and accidentally kicked me in the stomach.
So you're a teacher?
No, I work in the offices. In fact, I don't even like children.
I understand. I'm a doctor but I don't like needles. I wouldn't tell my younger sister that though.
You have a sister?
Yeah, she's in the sixth grade.
Really? That's a big age difference. She must be noisy, like a little monkey or something.
It's true. She's very lively...
There's only four years difference in my case, but I don't understand my younger brother at all.
Are you the oldest sibling?
Yeah, it's just my brother and I.

Note taken: Asuza Inose's family.

Oh come on, OF COURSE we are going to meddle into their family business! What else?

How long have you been in pain?!
Four days, I think...
That's a long time. Why have you left it this long?
I've been busy with work. I haven't had time to have it taken care of.
But it's been painful, right?
That's why I came to see a doctor.
(I get the impression that if she hadn't collapsed, she wouldn't have come at all.)

At this point, we should use the stethoscope to start the examination. Unlike the attorney badge it actually does something!

So, here is our diagnostics screen. What we know is already filled in, but we still have to discover two more symptoms before we can finish the diagnosis.

...and here is our examination screen. It's really quite simple. On the top right are three "tools". From left to right they are: stethoscope (to listen); hand (to palpate--examination by touch); and the last one is simply to look at something. We need to apply the right "tool" on the right part of patient's body to try and find out the symptoms (or to observe them). In this case, the patient reports abdominal pain, so we'll focus on that part.

First, let's listen a bit...

...abdominal cavity is inflamed.)

This gives us another entry on the diagnostics screen.

Next, let's try to apply some pressure...

Does it hurt here?
Yes, it does... I was in pain and feeling nauseous before, but... I thought I had just overeaten.

And that completes this part of diagnosis.

Is your job at the school stressful?
The truth is that stupid people stress me out more than the work does.
That's... too bad...
(This is... almost certainly acute appendicitis...)

We'll have to perform some tests to confirm.
Tests?
We'll take an ultrasound of your abdomen to check if your appendix is swollen.
It's ok, I don't need any tests. It's a waste of money.
But if we don't do these tests, we won't know exactly...
They say that real doctors can determine the problem through palpating alone.

Er... what?

Don't be unreasonable...

Darn! I thought it was just a stomachache!
Let's do the proper tests. Depending on the results, you may need surgery.
What? Does that mean hospitalisation? That's absolutely impossible. What will I do about work?
You'll have to take some time off... You should only be off for a week or so.
But I don't have any sick days left! Who will pay me for the time? You?
But if we leave it like this... your life might be in danger.
Ouch! It hurts! Shoot... OK. I get it. All right, do it already.

So this is the ultrasound test. Above we have a healthy person and below is the one from our patient. We need to find the area that is different between them. Obviously, this being the game's first case, this one is quite easy, so...

(Hmm... Just as I thought... her appendix is enlarged.)
(Ok. I have diagnosed the problem.)

And finally, we have a diagnosis (which is Appendicitis, as suspected).

I have added a record entitled: Asuza Inose: examination result.

You're going to need an operation.
What horrible luck.
Let's sign you in and deal with the formalities needed for your stay.
Put me in the cheapest room. And when will the operation take place?! I'd like to get it over with as soon as possible, so I can leave.
If your blood test is OK, we can start early tomorrow morning.
It hurts! Please, do whatever you have to do.
I'll do my best to do everything you've asked. You just focus on getting better.

Now there are a couple of places we can go...

Looks like nurse Florence is there. Let's go talk to her for a moment.

(This is... Florence Makiko Sakurada-san, The hospital's Chief Nurse. Florence was named after the famous historical figure, Florence Nightingale... or so they say.)

Why... am I the master of the night shift room?
He-he. Recently, I've heard gossip that you live in the night shift room. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I gave you the nickname.
Oh, really?! I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me that.
But why? It's so mysterious.
It wouldn't seem right if newcomers started calling me that.
Really? But I think it's a nice name.

So it's over with her last boyfriend then?
And the gossip is that her new boyfriend works in this hospital.
No! Really?
Judging from your reaction... I'd say you have no idea who her new boyfriend might be... Right?
It certainly isn't me, if that's what you're implying.
Don't deny it. You're just cleverly covering it up! It is you isn't it?!
If only...
You're right. The "master of the night shift room" could hardly be Dr. Ueto's new boyfriend!

Note taken: Gossip about Dr. Ueto.

Yes, really. We're doing this.

Luckily, in fact, Dr. Ueto is right now in pediatrics, so next time we'll go and talk to her.

Other than that, will we do the appendicitis operation in the next episode... or will we examine a patient? Or, perhaps, we will... engage in even more gossip? Tune in and find out!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 23, 2017

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, Phoenix Wright is basically a parody on the Japanese justice system, where, once it's decided you'll go to trial as a suspect, it's nearly impossible to walk away free.

Is this game a parody on the Japanese medical system, where they apparently have no such thing as health insurance? It can't be as bad as the USA, can it?

To be sure, I have no practical experience with Japanese health care system, but as far as I know it is much closer to the European system, e.g. hospitals are mandated by law to be run as non-profits, universal health insurance, and so on.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I took one look at the thread title and was intrigued. Will there be magical surgery techniques?

If you mean drawing a pentagram and suddenly everything goes into slow-motion, then no, definitely not--they tried to keep surgeries in this one at least somewhat realistic! They aren't much easier than Trauma Centre though and some of them even contain a bit of a plot branch depending on how fast you do them! Of course, the game never tells you any of this. :v:

There is also a minigame similar to PW's Psyche Lock!

Oh, hey, just realised that I forgot to mention that this game is also partially a dating sim! We haven't yet met all the eligible ladies, but yes, depending on your actions throughout the story you can end up with one of them at the end!

In all honesty Lifesigns is just a whole lot of good fun in my opinion!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, we had a reluctant patient and also spent some time exchanging gossip with the nurses. One interesting bit of gossip was about our friend Dr. Ueto apparently having a new boyfriend. She has just finished her residency and is starting to work as a pediatrician. As a matter of fact, she just happens to be in the hospital right now, so let's go talk to her!

(I'm her junior by one year.)

There are many emergency cases at night. Each can be very educational.
Still, you can't live at the hospital.
Actually, the hospital is very comfortable. There's heat and air-conditioning here.
Well, just take care of yourself. People tend to forget about their own health during their second year.
You start as a pediatrician tomorrow, right Dr. Ueto?
Yeah, but I still feel a little nervous in emergencies. Finishing my internship isn't going to change things that much.

year, Dr. Tendo?

I'm not entirely sure yet, but probably the ER.
Because you're so good at sewing?

They mean suturing, and yes this is also a reference to Tendo's first year, depicted in the first game.

Ha-ha! No, I won't decide based on that.

You'll notice that we didn't ask her about the boyfriend rumour. In fact, you can do that, but the only result is that she gets upset and criticises you for being too forward/rude. Don't think it really influences anything, but better safe than sorry--we are missing literally one sentence.

Hoshi is over here in the nurses' room, so let's just confer with her quickly about our upcoming operation...

much pain.

With this game's translation, editing and grammar are very flexible concepts. At least content-wise it seems to be reasonably accurate, so there's that.

She looks overworked. It's a good thing that she stayed at the hospital. Even though it was inconvenient.
The operation is tomorrow morning. The anaesthesiologist? I booked Dr.Masui. This is the new schedule, which we'll begin following tomorrow.
Oh right. We're also introducing a 24 hour anaesthesiologist shift.

Received: Masui's schedule.

situations like the one tonight.

If we introduce an overnight medical care system, the patients will feel more secure.
And if you become part of it, that would really give us the edge.

If we look over at the reception, there seems to be somebody unknown loitering about... So let's head over.

The amazing teleporting nurse Hoshi.

At this time of night? Who is it?

Who's this punk?

Excuse me, can I help you?

Oh, guess that's Asuza's brother then.

(Sister? Is it possible that this person is...)

If we present the note about Asuza's family to him...

(If memory serves me, Asuza-san said that she's got a younger brother.)
Are you related to Asuza-san?
You're treating my sister? You don't look very dependable.
You're wrong. Dr. Tendo is only a second year intern but is very capable of treating patients all by himself.

That totally came out like a backhanded compliment, although it probably wasn't intended to.

All right then. Where is my sister?
Your sister has appendicitis and is scheduled for an operation tomorrow.
Appendicitis? What's that?
Well... Do you know blind gut?
Blind gut? Why didn't you just say that in the first place? Will she be all right?
Dr. Tendo is a very good doctor, so everything will be fine.

We know where to go. Let's see if we can get an idea what's the deal with these two anyway.

Do you have any other family?
No, we don't.
Eh?

What?
Don't be so stupid! You're being silly!
Doctor, our parents died in a car accident.
Oh, I'm sorry.

Note Updated: Asuza Inose's family.

We may be sorry, but we'll still take a note for future meddling!

I killed our mother and father.
Cut it out!
But... it's a fact.
Anyway, we have no parents. There's nobody else to contact.
If the blood test is problem free, we'll operate tomorrow as scheduled.
OK, thank you. I trust you.

bad. And what does he mean by he killed his parents...?)

Episodes are kinda-sorta divided into days, and now we finally move on to the next one (although we started the game in the middle of the night, really).

I think we should start the day with some encouraging words from Hoshi, don't you?

Sorry that I made you work the night shift last night.
No problem at all. I may not look like it, but I can handle the stress.
The blood test didn't show any problems, so Asuza-san's operation will take place as scheduled.
I asked Dr. Masui personally and he agreed.

We do need to start preparing for the surgery, so let's stop by our mentor's office!

(She's the head of the Third Department of Surgery, and my supervisor.)

We'll show Asuza's exam results to her.

The blood test didn't show any problems. We can begin the operation as scheduled.
So, you'll be the doctor in charge and I'll be the consultant.

Note taken: Doctor in charge of Asuza Inose!

(Consultant. The person who assists the operating surgeon.)

Again?
Well! I went out on a date yesterday after being on my own for a long time. The guy didn't like comedies at all.
...How is that related to you drinking too much?
Ouch, my head hurts!
I'll start the preparatory meeting, so please go to the meeting room.
All right, Doctor.

Well, seems like a good place to stop here for now, before we continue what seem to be somewhat endless preparations for that simple appendectomy.

Next time on Lifesigns:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, we had a bit of a talk with a very hung over Suzu-sensei about getting ready for Asuza's operation. There's been some mention of Dr. Masui, who happens to be our anaesthesiologist.

In fact, he is right now in the surgery prep room, so maybe not a bad time to go and make sure everything is ready from his end.

(He's absolutely indispensable during operations.)

Today is operation day.
Huh? What operation?
What? ...Asuza Inose-san's operation.
I haven't heard about that.

Yes, we're going to have to show him that schedule...

Hoshi-san said that she confirmed the operation with you yesterday...
All right, I was teasing you. Of course, I heard. Hoshi-san asked me to be ready.
Oh. Good.
Listen, Dr.Tendo. I heard from Hoshi-san that she helped you yesterday during the night shift.
But she had the day off. That ruined our date.
Hoshi-san had a date with you?

Do you understand?
Sure... Sorry about that.
To make things worse, there will be an anaesthesiologist on duty 24-hours a day starting today. I'll have even less time off... What a nuisance.
Well, I have to make preparations for Y.O.U.R. operation.
Yes, of course... thank you.

...but it turns out that he was just joking with us, luckily. I'm not saying he's not a bit weird, though. Also note that the word "YOUR" above scrolls about as fast as "l.i.t.t.l.e m.o.n.e.y" did in the original version of THAT other game!

So Asuza's brother is here again...

It's you.

We'll show him that note about their family situation. We really need to know more. Well, we don't actually, but what would we do if we didn't meddle into everybody's business, right?

(This is Kouichi Inose, Asuza-san's younger brother)

Note taken: About Kouichi Inose.

delicate. Please take care of her.

Despite my rough edges, I really do care about my sister. I am here to visit her before the operation.
But... what about school? Is it all right?
The first and second periods are breaks anyway.

This all sounds rather suspicious, but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

(Break time for the first period?)
The operation will start shortly, so if you'd like to talk to your sister, now is the time.
OK... No problem.

A few moments later, in Azusa's room...

I guess it's about the money...

It doesn't matter how much I work, there will never be enough. Here, that's all for this month.
Thanks. I'm indebted.
(Money... pocket money?)
You've got what you wanted, right? Go to school now.
All right.
Kouichi, you haven't gone to school yet?!
I'm going now. See ya. I'll come back later.
You don't have to come back.
Wow, you're mean.
Oh, poor you.

Yeah, things are definitely not right between these two.

Will the operation begin soon?
Yes, it will. Everything's ready.
Who's going to perform the surgery?

We'll present the note about Suzu-sensei putting us in charge of Asuza.

I will be your surgeon.
You, doctor? You look like you'd faint if you saw blood. Will you be OK?
I'll be all right. I am a doctor even though I may not look like one. I'll also be in charge of your aftercare. At your service.
I'd like to ask you a question. How much is the operation going to be?
It should take about 2 hours.
I'm not asking about time... The money! How much will it cost?
With the insurance around, ooh, 70-80 thousand yen, I think.

Yeah, the localisation team didn't even bother to convert these amounts... I guess you can take off the last two zeros to get the amount in dollars, so about $800.

Huh?
What's the matter?
Could you maybe give me a discount?
I really don't make those choices...
I thought you said you'd take care of me after the operation?
I'm sorry that I can't be more help...

I guess she is honestly what you would call a "high-maintenance" patient...

Anyway, let's keep moving, since we do have an operation to get ready for (but just seem to be constantly distracted left and right).

Oh, man, what is it now?

I have a message from Professor Sawai. He wants you to meet him in his office.
(Professor Sawai. He's the head of the First Surgery Department...)
Oh really? OK, I understand.
Dr. Tendo, have you and Professor Sawai... reconciled?
No. We don't need to make up or anything, because we never fought in the first place.
But the nurses say that your relationship with Professor Sawai is tense! Is that all gossip?

still father and son.

Wait, what? Well, in actual fact, this was a big plot point in the first game so it isn't necessarily intended to be a surprise... but it kind of comes off as a nice and interesting one if you didn't play it.

Father and son meet again on the battleground that is a medical hospital! How dramatic!
(That's right, Professor Sawai is my REAL father. My mother left Sawai while she was pregnant with me and married my present father who is a firefighter).

We're going to need to explore this in more detail so of course we get a note.

Thank you, I will go to his office right away.

That operation seems to be slipping away from us every second!

Well, let's see.

Will you be operating?
It's an appendectomy. I asked Suzu-sensei to be the consultant.
Of course, I'll be brief.

the SPX drug.

(SPX: Sawai Power Flex, a drug Prof. Sawai developed to treat immune diseases. It's still in the experimental stage but it's been effective with AIDS and cancer.)

Yes, I know this almost sounds like we are getting into full-on crazy Trauma Centre storyline, but not really. Don't worry.

A new drug? But isn't SPX still in the experimental stage?
Tendo, progress doesn't wait.
What will happen to the patients who are still taking SPX?
Don't get me wrong. We're not replacing SPX. We're just exploring other possibilities.
You're a second year intern now. Haven't you had enough of clinical medicine?

Note taken: New Project.

Are... you asking me to leave my clinical training?
Do you know why I invited you to come to Seimei Medical Hospital?

We'll present the note about him being our father, so nepotism I guess?

...I don't understand. Isn't that the same thing?
You inherited my genes. Don't you think that you have a responsibility to inherit my will?
No, I don't.
Are you serious?
My foster father is a brave firefighter. Our blood relation has no bearing.

In any case, I'm not going to decide right now. I have to talk to Suzu-sensei...
Of course, come back when you finish your operation. You can give me your answer then.
I... understand. Excuse me.

Well, that was pretty ugly. Not exactly a warm relationship here.

get to the meeting room.

Yes, you've been saying that since two updates ago. But no, this time for real, we are finally heading into surgery, no more getting sidetracked.

Next time on Lifesigns:

Uh wait, something's not right here...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I kinda want to see the first game just to see how that plot twist got revealed. I wonder if there's a translation for it.

I am pretty sure there isn't a fan translation--I guess these games were never popular/well known enough for that to happen. But I did find complete videos of the first game in Japanese so I might try to find the relevant bits about Von Karma and do something about it.

Forer posted:

it being in yen doesn't bug me. It being 800 dollars bugs me. Don't they know how much it costs?

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be just the small bit which is not covered by health insurance, not the cost for the entire thing.

Blaze Dragon posted:

If anything, it'd be weird if it didn't give money in yen when it isn't trying to relocate the game to another country, it fully accepts that it happens in Japan with Japanese characters.

Ah well, I guess you're right--I'm convinced. Although there are much more blatant displays of laziness of localisation in the game, such as when you use stethoscope to listen to somebody's heart and the English subtitles literally say "doki doki doki". I mean, seriously?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So, I was looking into the Japan-only first game to see if I can dig out anything interesting regarding the "Tendo, I am your father" revelation (and I believe I will be able to do something about that), but in the process discovered something else that somehow never occurred to me until now.

Turns out, this game seems to make a bit of a joke of people's names, similar to what Phoenix Wright tends to do in both English and Japanese versions. Since nobody really cared about giving this game a nice localisation, this obviously got lost in translation. But here are a couple of funny things that I found. Sorry if this gets a bit spergy... :v:

Tendo Dokuta: This one, I already mentioned--"dokuta" is how Japanese would pronounce the english word Doctor.

Prof. Sawai: His surname name is written like this, 沢井 (which is the normal way of writing this surname), but I guess with a bit of imagination you could potentially write it like this: 沢医 in which case it would mean something like "brilliant doctor".

Suzu-sensei: Again, you wouldn't normally write it like this, but her name could be written like so: 鈴 and simply means "a bell". Did you notice what she's wearing around her neck in all pictures? Yes, indeed, that is a choker with a bell on it! (The first game actually explains how this came about--I will try to include it at some point).

Dr. Masui: The spaced out anaesthesiologist... this one is way too easy. If you write his surname with these two characters: 麻酔 instead of the ones you would normally use, it just means simply "anaesthesia"!

And finally...

Sachi Hoshi: Our favourite nurse, whose full name could be written like this: 幸星 (yes just with those two characters, again you wouldn't write it normally in this way), in which case it could be taken to mean "lucky star".

All names in game are written in their normal way, so in order to get the jokes you have to connect the dots with pronunciation.

Maybe some of these sound like a bit of a stretch, but in my opinion there's too much of this to be a coincidence--especially Masui--and there's actually even more coming, we just haven't met the characters yet!

P.S. Yes, the translation is actually inconsistent in whether it uses people's first name or last name to refer to them in dialogue box titles, so for example Suzu and Hoshi are first names but Tendo and Masui is actually the surname. In fact this is quite strange, since the Japanese version calls him Dokuta in dialogue boxes, somebody changed this for whatever reason.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time when we stopped, Tendo was about to (finally) go into a pre-surgery meeting. So let's just hope he doesn't run into anybody on the way there!

get to the meeting room.)

(This is Kurai Sanae. She's a perioperative.)

I don't even know where to begin. Needless to say, her surname Kurai means "gloomy" in Japanese.

I'll be a consultant, assisting with the!operation.! And Tendo will perform the operation.
Right. I'm counting on your assistance.
OK, surgeon, please explain the operation.
The patient is Asuza Inose, a 21 year old female. She came in by ambulance, complaining about abdominal pain. An ultrasound confirmed that her appendix is swollen. I've diagnosed acute appendicitis. We're going to perform an appendectomy.
OK, so let's go.
Let's try to finish the operation quickly so that I'll have more time to rest later.

Operation: Asuza Inose, Appendectomy

There's going to be a lot of tutorials in this one, but in the interests of not wasting anybody's time, I'll try to summarise for the most part.

We are told to slide the gauze in a circular motion, but it honestly does not matter as long as you cover the required area.

Unlike the various Trauma Centre games, here you are given the required tool automatically by Sanae, so you don't have to worry about that.

So that is pretty easy. Moving on to the next step.

Ok, the disinfection is complete.
Next, make an incision in the abdomen.

Here is a tutorial about needing to slide the scalpel in a straight line.

OK, I've got it. Kurai-san, scalpel please!

The line to cut is not actually visible on the screen, but we can press the L button to "concentrate", like so:

...and then we can faintly see the general area where we need to apply the tool. This is valid for other surgical tools, not just for the scalpel.

The other thing to note, is that gauge on the left side. This is an error gauge--it functions basically like stamina in Dark Souls games. It depletes while you are doing something with a tool (cutting, etc.) and once it goes to zero you have to stop for a moment before it refills. Mostly this is not a huge problem.

And so, here is our incision.

The skin incision is complete!
OK, Tendo. Next, the fascia incision. We'll use the electric scalpel. The electric scalpel is an instrument that cuts by burning through any tissue it touches.

Ok, so, first of all, fascia is the name for all the layers of tissue that sit between the skin and internal organs, so obviously we need to cut through that. As mentioned, we'll use the electric scalpel, which is a real thing, and it works exactly as described here. We need to be careful, to apply the right amount of power to every part of the cut, but without actually burning the tissue. Burning the tissue will quite severely damage our vitals gauge which you can see on some of the screenshots above on the top left. Again we can "concentrate" to see the line where we need to cut.

Kurai-san, the electric scalpel please!

So here we go. I actually messed up in a couple of places, but this operation is quite easy and it doesn't have any secret conditions, so it doesn't really matter if you mess up a little as long as you don't completely deplete the vitals.

next step!

Next step is to make an incision in the peritoneum. The peritoneum is a membrane that lines most of the abdominal cavity. Here, we'll again use a simple scalpel...

...like so.

OK, the peritoneal incision is complete.
OK, you have opened up the abdomen, but the most important part is still ahead. Be careful, a mistake made inside the body is more harmful than the one made outside.

forceps.

It's just tongs people.

We need to get the appendix out in the open, by pulling it out, like so. You can see on the left how the error gauge is depleting while I use the forceps.

The appendix is clear of obstructions.
Next, we'll tie up the appendicular artery with a suture.

Suturing is not too different from Trauma Centre, just zig zag around somehow and you'll do it eventually.

Yes, this is going to be a running joke.

Looks approximately like this when done.

The appendicular artery ligation is complete!
Next, suture the appendix on the peripheral and central sides. Then excise the appendix.

First we'll tie off the appendix in two places, like this...

...and then we can literally cut it off in the middle.

My guidance must have been pretty good!

Good. It seems that despite their slight, oh shall we say, idiosyncrasies, the team is largely competent.

Well, Tendo, it's time for your favourite task, suturing. If your stitches are sloppy, the patient will end up with a scar. I don't think... she'll appreciate that very much!
(Don't put pressure on me like that, I need to concentrate!)

So we just need to close up...

...and we're done.

Pretty bad accuracy, but it'll get better.

You've made great progress in just one year.
Oh, but the appendicitis...
Didn't you diagnose one incorrectly, a year ago?
(...Yes)
Heh-heh. Well, this one was a success. Well done. But, don't forget to write an operation report and work on your technique.
Is there anything else, Suzu-sensei?
Yes, one more thing. If your technique during the operation is precise enough, the patient's vital signs might improve a bit.

Yeah, we don't have any magic gels in this game, and will have to rely just on our skill to get the patients through it.

Incidentally, this whole story about misdiagnosed appendicitis is from the first game, as you might have suspected.

NOW you tell me this!?

Asuza-san should be able to leave hospital in a week, as planned.

The light is out and finally the operation is complete. So as you can see, in some ways it's similar to Trauma Centre, but it some other ways not so much. The operations will get quite a bit harder very quickly, in fact the very next one has a hidden condition that influences the plot already!

But, let's not forget that Tendo has a decision to make here. So who better to offer us some advice than...

not enough.

I understand.
Really?
No... not in that sense...
Well, in what sense then?
Er... that...

Here, we'll present the note about the new project from Sawai.

Professor Sawai called me into his office just before the operation...
Did he ask you to help him with his research?
Eh? How did you know that?
He spoke to me too, the other day. He demanded I transfer you to a special training program.
And... what did you say?
I said that it's OK with me, if you're OK with it.
That's...
Tendo, this is your decision. Nobody else's. You have to decide for yourself. Of course, it's not Sawai's decision either...
OK!
I'll fully support any decision you make.

You know what, Suzu-sensei is OK in my book. This made a lot of sense.

A few moments later, at the reception desk...

Hey, why aren't you at school?
The fourth and the fifth periods are always breaks.
(Does that mean that they're only in school during third period?)

There's something strange going on with this guy. But we'll figure it out eventually.

Was the operation successful?
Of course... It was a success.
Really? Thank you, Doctor. Thank you so much!
I think that your sister will wake up soon.
You don't look like it, but you are a great Doctor.
(That's a strange way of thanking me, but I'm still glad to hear the gratitude...)
Say, Doctor? Do you think that I could help people like you do, if I study more?
Of course. Anybody can help other people if they really want to!
So, I have to make sure I make it to class more often...

(Help people? In fact, as a doctor I want to...)

I've written a note called: About my career.

I think we have our answer for Sawai, so let's go and tell him then. No need to wait.

Well, what is your answer?
Ok... I...

Obviously, we'll present the note we just made...

I would like to continue my clinical training.
That's your answer?
It's true, your research is important work that may help thousands of sick people ...in the future.
But, what's important for me... is to help people who are suffering now.
I see. That's why you want to be a clinician...
My... father saves people who need help from disaster sites every day. I am my father's son. I want to continue helping people when they're suffering.
Hmm, I don't recall inviting you to this hospital to become a clinician. If you don't intend to join the project, there is no reason for you to stay here.
That's not fair!

(My foster father worked himself ragged so I could go to medical school. I can't betray my father's expectations. Suzu-sensei, what should I do...?)
As I said, I...
Hmm. You're stubborn.
Eh?
OK, let it be for the moment.
Really? We're OK?

as a doctor!

Wow, who wouldn't want this guy as a father, seriously.

In any case, we should go and let Suzu know what happened.

medicine.

I have nothing to say. This is your decision.
I'll try to do my best under your supervision.
OK, Tendo. I have a new task for you. I'd like you to look after a new intern, all right?
The one who starts today?
Yes, she should arrive soon.

But for now, this has been going on for a while, so I think Tendo should go out and get some food.

(I think that chicken noodle soup is supposed to be on sale today)

Suddenly...

(Darn! The two of us can't pick up all of this!)

Ok, so, this might seem weird but what happened was that the truck which almost hit the motorcyclist was full of fruit which has now spilled everywhere on the road. So our goal is to pick up as much as we can! As far as I can tell, the motorcycle rider ran away. Yes, this is not really made all that clear until you get to the minigame!

Basically, the fruits are rolling down and we need to touch them with the stylus to pick them up. There are three kinds (apples, oranges and lemons) and if we pick up to three of the same in a row, we get a combo bonus. This is probably easier to do on a real DS. There are several of this kind of minigames in Lifesigns. Unfortunately, for some of them the score you get actually influences the plot outcome. Not in this one, though, luckily for us.

I got an apple!

Just because. Ah well, maybe it'll come in useful for something.

Can you already guess who she is? Shouldn't be too hard.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 4, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

It was Kouichi on the motorcycle. He was checking out the new girl of our cast and wasn't paying attention when a dog ran across the road. He swerved, which caused a truck behind him to swerve and spill fruit. Tendo was just walking along the sidewalk.

Yeah, the game does a real crap job with explaining this cutscene, mainly because the truck is never properly shown. Basically the description above is what really happened and Kouichi didn't stay at the scene but drove off. I would have expected more reaction from Tendo considering it was Kouichi but I guess not.

And about the 30 minute limit for operations, as said, this is mainly theoretical as usually there are other factors that won't allow you to take that long. Not the least of which is that in some cases taking too long leads you down the bad route of the story--not that the game really even hints at this or tells you what is the real time limit (hint: it's super short and thank god for the slowdown option in emulator!).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, there was a bit of a traffic incident where Kouichi got a bit distracted staring at a woman walking down the street, thus failing to notice a dog running out onto the road, thus causing him to swerve, thus causing a truck full of fruit that was driving behind him to swerve, thus causing all the fruit to spill out, thus causing us to have to pick all of that up.

Oh yeah, the little bugger ran off, instead of staying to help.

As I mentioned, you should be able to guess who the woman is, but nevertheless let's talk to her and see what she has to say.

I'm guessing this is a translation error and they are talking about the dog. Unfortunately I don't have the Japanese version of the game to check (and would have to play it in parallel anyway).

Are you all right?
Me? I'm stronger than I look.
Anyway, there are bad guys everywhere, aren't there? Why do they give driver's licenses to those guys?
Don't you agree?
Yeah... you're right.
(I'm pretty sure that that was Kouichi on that motorcycle...)

Medical University Hospital?

Yes, that's right.
Wow! What a coincidence. I'm starting my internship at that same hospital today.

Like everybody else, she also has a name with a double meaning. Yuma is an ordinary Japanese female name, but if written with the particular two characters (侑万) it can be taken to describe somebody who likes to eat a lot. This is relevant, because she is that particular anime trope, I'm sorry to say.

Note taken: About Aoshima-san.

Might as well note her name.

Are you an intern too?
You're an intern too?
I'm...

We present the note about ourselves, and...

My name is Tendo Dokuta, I'm an intern at Seimei Hospital.
What? So I didn't need to be so polite?
Huh?
You're an intern, just like me. I'm shocked.
I'm pleased to meet you.

As always, when dialogue gets a bit like this, you can safely assume that it plays better in Japanese. No real effort was made to try and localise it at least a little bit. Yes, I plan to keep complaining about the translation.

In any case, later that day, in the staff room...

Yes, we know. She's a little annoying actually.

(I'm sure that that's the girl...)

We'll present back to her the note we just made...

Aoshima-san, is Suzu-sensei your supervisor?
Oh? The two of you know each other?
Yeah, a little while ago. We just...

quick worker.

Aoshima-san, you're not serious are you?
Oh? It's just a joke.
It's half true.
Suzu-sensei!!
Yeah, yeah.
Well in that case, you don't need an introduction. Tendo, I'm counting on you.
Eh? Er-r-r... in what sense?
It's her first day, so help Aoshima with her clinical records and her out-patients.
You can do that, can't you?
Well... yeah.
But I thought that you were my supervisor, Suzu-sensei.
That's right. Feel free to ask me anything you're unsure of.
If possible, I'd really like to attend one of your operations.
There's no need to be in such a hurry. We'll start out slowly. You have to get used to this place first. Does that make sense?
Yes...

And with that, Aoshima and Tendo leave... but Aoshima is not done...

(Just as I thought...)
I wonder if Suzu-sensei is mad at me.
No, she can't be.
Then why doesn't she give me better instructions?
She was the same with me in the beginning. I didn't get any useful advice from her. In the beginning she would get angry every time I asked for help...
Really? That's so frustrating!
What does it matter that my supervising physician has the "Healing Touch" if she doesn't help me?
Ha ha!
Don't laugh!
Sorry. For the time being, let me take you on a tour of the hospital while I do my rounds.

Aoshima and Tendo both really need to chill a bit honestly. Interesting mention of a "healing touch"--it will be mentioned again soon--since it is a staple of the Trauma Centre series, but I think this game is having a bit of a dig at that as you will soon see. (Note: while the first Tendo Dokuta game was released before Trauma Centre, this sequel was released after, so it makes sense they would have a bit of a joke at the expense of the other series)

Incidentally, Aoshima is certainly one of the people who we can end up dating, but there is still quite a bit of time before that becomes relevant.

First, why not go to pediatrics and introduce here to Dr. Ueto.

I just started today. My name is Aoshima Yuma.
I'm Ueto, a pediatrician. Until very recently, I was an intern, just like you.
I've just begun my internship. Suzu-sensei is my supervisor.
Oh, Suzu-sensei is your supervisor. You're in good hands.
I don't know why... but Dr. Tendo was put in charge of me. I don't think that bodes well for my future here...
Aoshima-san! I'm here you know?
I'm sure you'll be very busy, don't forget to take care of yourself.
Thanks! I'll do my best.

Next, let's go and introduce her to one of our patients, Mr. Heikichi... We will be venturing into the "WTF Japan!" territory for a little bit here.

cancer with SPX.

It's a drug developed by Professor Sawai that bolsters the immune system.
Do you mean the famous Professor Sawai?
Yes... that Professor Sawai.

Obviously, Aoshima is hitting a bit of a sore spot here, without realising.

The pleasure is all mine! Absolutely beautiful.
This is my room. Everyone calls me "Quick Hands Heikichi".
"Quick Hands"? Why?
Well, it's...
Aoshima-san, watch out!
Huh?

(Scream!)

(Wham!)

"Quick Hands Heikichi".

An aside: see, now, when I said lazy localisation, I didn't really qualify exactly how lazy. Well, this kind of lazy. That nobody even bothered to translate the full screen sound effects. I think that's pretty lazy. Can you imagine a Phoenix Wright where the word "Objection" shows up full screen in untranslated Japanese? No, I didn't think you could.

Next time on LifeSigns:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is the intern's deal? Is she an overachiever?

Just a little bit... but she's going to get put into her place shortly, no worries. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, we started taking our new colleague, Aoshima, around the hospital to meet various people. Let's now take her to the room of our favourite appendicitis patient, Asuza Inose.

Asuza-san seems to be asleep.

Not quite sure why such a skeptical expression there...

Yes.
Under Suzu-sensei's guidance?
Well, yes.
I've heard that Suzu-sensei is a great surgeon.
Me too.
Is it true that she performed a 10-hour operation in one hour with her "healing touch"?

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned a joke at the expense of Trauma Centre, because as I recall there when you "activate" the healing touch, the time basically stops, or something like that.

That's a little exaggerated...
But I heard it from Chief Nurse Florence.

Chief Nurse Florence needs to reduce the amount of gossip that she spreads around the hospital in my opinion.

It's true that Suzu-sensei is a great surgeon. I've attended a lot of her operations... She really does have the healing touch.

directly by Suzu-sensei!

to attend one of her operations.

I have no comment to this.

Anyway, a few moments later...

Oh, right, that explains it.

Make sure you watch Tendo closely. I expect a lot from you.
Yes, I will.

Sawai leaves.

A bit blunt but pretty cute. Don't you think, Dr. Tendo?
I... suppose.
What's wrong? You seem gloomy again.
Really? I look gloomy?
You asked the same thing a few minutes ago.
...Ha!
Ha, huh...?

...and with that invigorating exchange between the two interns, it's finally the end of the second day of Tendo's second year of being a medical intern!

Another beautiful morning...

Asuza-san is...)

What's wrong with you now.

(Hmm... I wonder if she's still worried about yesterday...)

Because you're both wearing matching white.
If that were the case, all doctors would be dating.
Yeah, I was only joking.
Who is this rude guy?

To continue the conversation we present the note about Kouichi Inose that we made earlier.

His sister had an appendectomy yesterday...
I'm Kouichi Inose. Nice to meet you.
Eh...? ...What?! I get the feeling that we've met before.

Yes, he almost ran you over on his motorbike.

Really? Me too, in fact, I feel something special. Do you think that, maybe, we're soul mates?
No, but I've got a feeling we've met before...

Presenting the apple will jog her memory.

yesterday?

Sure it was me, but I didn't hit the puppy. I managed to avoid it, didn't I?
It was you! Just as I thought!
Next time look where you're going!
Aoshima-san, calm down...
How can I calm down while listening to this? You almost killed that dog.
You should be glad that nothing happened to me while I was avoiding the dog.

fine, is that it?

a human's?

Note taken: Aoshima's way of thinking

Worth making a note of this, it may prove important at some point.

Look, I agree. It's wrong for me to hit a dog. I do. Don't be so mad.
Stop making fun of me!
You're crazy. Doctor, it must be hard to have such a crazy girlfriend. I feel sympathy for you.
No, she isn't my girlfriend...
Never mind, I'm leaving!

I don't believe that guy! How are guys like that still around in the 21st century?! ...Like weeds allowed to flourish.
That's... really rude...
What?
Never mind.

him!

While Aoshima is not exactly in the wrong here, the way she presents her arguments could use a bit of tweaking, not to mention a serious need for an overall attitude adjustment.

A bit later, we can find Aoshima again in one of the rooms. Let's see if she's calmed down.

Looks to be in a better mood, yes.

What?
I'd like to do a blood test on myself. Could you take the sample from me?
Aoshima-san, is something wrong with you?
No, that's not it. It seems that my blood matched the HLA of a patient with leukaemia.
Aoshima-san, are you a registered marrow donor? I am too. I became a donor for my younger sister.
Your sister... had leukaemia?

HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen) is a protein found on most cells of the human body and it has to do with the immune system. Therefore for a successful transplant of bone marrow in case of leukaemia it is extremely beneficial if this matches between the donor and the recipient. Normally this is inherited from parents, about half/half of genetic makeup of it from either--hence siblings will have about 25% chance to be a match to each other, so most of the time donor needs to be found outside of the immediate family.

Other than that, this business with Tendo's sister's cancer has been covered in the first game.

Yeah, she's fine now.
You're the only other Doctor that I've met who's a registered donor.
Yeah, me too. I don't know any other registered donors.
Aoshima-san, why did you register?
I just thought that... there are a lot of patients waiting for marrow... I figured that I should do what I can about that. It's irritating to just sit there and not do anything about it.
Aoshima-san, you're young, but you're really great.
What do you mean? You're not that different, Dr. Tendo.
You offer your seat to the elderly and you put money in!donation boxes. It's the same thing, isn't it?

Well, that was a much more pleasant conversation.

As a matter of fact, we should go check on Asuza... but before that...

Yeah, I think she'll be able to leave in a week.
I am told that her brother came by today, too.
Yeah, he skips school. That's why she worries.

become a Doctor. Didn't you?

Ok then, time to go visit our patient.

hospital how?

But, your wounds aren't healed yet.
What a complete disaster. My hospital bills are piling up and I'm not working.
It's just one week.
It's a maximum of one week! Right?
It's necessary for your treatment. You'll need to avoid anything strenuous for a while after leaving the hospital.
I work in an office so I should be OK there.

you?

didn't I?

Let's talk outside.

Listen, I don't mean to interfere with your family affairs... But I think... it's better not to worry your sister.
Stop poking your nose into my business. Who do you think you are?

Well, actually, his sister's attending physician, and we have a note to prove it!

I'm your sister's attending physician. Your sister has been worrying about money since she fell ill. If she continues like this, she won't heal properly.
I guess I'm just being a nuisance...
No, you're not.

died.

(I seem to recall you saying that about yourself)

Tendo is right, Asuza was saying the opposite and Kouich was the one who blamed himself earlier! In any case, let's present the note we made about this to find out more. Because we'll completely disregard his request for us to butt out of his family business.

Your parents died in a car accident didn't they?! You weren't driving the car, were you?
No. My parents were on their way to pick me up from the police station when they had the accident. So, if I hadn't been arrested,my mother and father would still be alive.
Still... I don't think that your sister thinks that about you...
Ask her yourself.
That... would only make her worry more. Regardless, as Asuza-san's attending physician I will not tolerate this. Until Asuza-san leaves this hospital, you will follow my instructions.
All right. That's just perfect.
Perfect?

A moment later...

It's my own fault.

That's not true. Asuza-san, you look after your brother all by yourself.
Still, he's my only brother.
I have enough trouble just taking care of myself... You do a lot for him.

Note taken: Asuza and Kouichi.

Outside...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
You know, I really need to read Team Medical Dragon, I keep hearing good stuff about it every once in a while and then I forget about it until next time...

So, I guess, thanks for reminding me about it again. ;)

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

In the previous episode, Dr. Tendo got a sudden phone call.

What happened?
There are some very scary people in the lobby.
Scary people?
They say they want to see Kouichi. Who's Kouichi?
That's Asuza-san's brother.
Aha! That rowdy guy... I guess those are his friends? Do you think I should call security?
I'm on my way. Let's wait a bit before calling security.

Over at the reception...

Those are definitely three ugly punks...

here quickly!

Ah, well, that explains a lot.

that name, but they won't listen to me.

And, who are you?
Are you blind?
We make all the kids cry in fear... We're The Three Maiuei Gang!

I have no clue what this "maiuei" is supposed to be. The only thing I know that sounds like that in Japanese is just the transliteration of English phase "My Way" but I am not sure how that fits. Looking at the Japanese version of the game probably wouldn't help as the phrase is likely to be spelled phonetically, rather than with kanji so we wouldn't gain any new insight there. Unless there is a spelling error in translation, which is possible. If anybody has an idea, feel free to comment.

They look awful...
(Are these the guys Asuza-san was talking about?)
Kouichi is not here. If you don't have any other business, please leave. You're disturbing the patients.

tomorrow.

(Kouichi! He was still here?)

Have you got the money?

Come on... Didn't I tell you not to come here?
You're late, so we came to you.
I don't have the money.
What?
I told you. I don't have the money! I'm not going to pay you any money. I'm out of your gang.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is how these things normally work...

What? Sorry. That's not good enough.
You never even changed the name? It's still "The Three Maiuei Gang" even after I joined? So what do you mean I can't leave the gang?
Leave Kouichi alone.
Huh? Who are you to be talking tough?
Doctor, this is none of your business! Stay out of it!
It is my business. You're Asuza Inose-san's brother, right?
So what?

Show him the note "Asuza and Kouichi" about how his sister worries about him a lot.

Your sister will worry if something happens to you!
Hey, Kouichi. You can't be serious about leaving the group?

Finally. They sure took their sweet time.

Well, at least they are gone.

Let's go back to Asuza...

It's because the beds around here are empty.
It's nice not having to deal with those brats from my school.
Do you miss the students?
Not at all. In addition to that I have to deal with a big brat every day. I'm tired of taking care of him.
But Kouichi comes to see you here every day.

(I don't think that Kouichi just wants to skip school!)

We should also check how Hoshi is doing since she was there at the reception during the "incident"!

...you looked great!

Have you been learning martial arts at home or something, Hoshi-san?
That's right! I can flip a person three times my weight!
You look pretty tough, Hoshi-san. You certainly don't need a bodyguard.
That's not true.

Well, that was fun. As you can imagine by now, Hoshi is also one of the people we can end up dating later on.

As always, now it's the time to check on our special patient.

kicking!

That made Aoshima-san really angry. Don't over do it, OK.
Really? She comes in everyday. Maybe she's into me? Hey, do you think so?
...Ahhh... Wow! Such a young girl after me, at my age! I'm not finished.
Well, well, well. But how about you?
What about me?

Note taken: Suzu-sensei's birthday!

You know that Suzu-sensei is not my girlfriend, she's my supervisor.
It's the same thing, isn't it? So what are you going to give her?
I don't know, I suppose I should give her something though, huh?
Of course.
OK, I'll think about it.

(I should probably go shopping and see.)

Yes, we better do something about the birthday thing!

And so Tendo goes to the gift shop--the game doesn't make clear if this is actually the hospital gift shop, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Incidentally, what kind of name is that for a gift shop, "Last Pleasure"? Unless it's some kind of translation blunder again, which also wouldn't surprise me.

So this is like a mini-mini game. We need to click around the shop until we find the right item. It's kind of pointless since game won't let us proceed anyway until we find it, so it's not like you can give her the wrong item or anything like that.

surreal...)

(All right, there is a lot to choose from here... Considering the contents of my wallet, I'm pretty limited in what I can buy.)

All of them feature Kakkii; a very popular idol right now.

Fear not, Kakkii (or Kakki or or Kakii, the game can't spell his name the same way twice anyway) will certainly figure very prominently in our story quite soon. I mean, what would this kind of game be without an idol character, right?

We can look at a few more items, but none are the right ones, until...

put on a great show.

Ah, game, nobody loved you enough to even bother proofreading the text...

I bought a concert ticket.

The game (or at least the translator) also can't seem to decide if it's one singer or a group... Not to mention that the picture clearly shows TWO tickets and not just one.

In fact, we should go and give the tickets to her right now!

birthday! This is a present for you.

I just bought it in a regular shop.
But these are premium tickets that were sold out 5 seconds after going on sale.
Really? But they are all so young.
Sure, but the value of their music isn't measured by their age, right?
Yeah...

nothing!

number.

Ahh... I think everybody in the hospital already knows your number.
That's what you think. I've switched phone companies recently and my number has changed.

Received: Suzu-sensei's cellphone number.

Well, at least one can still count on Suzu-sensei for a bit of mischief, if nothing else. Also, I hope you enjoyed this episode which was completely Aoshima-free!

Next time on LifeSigns:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 3, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Well, we ran those guys off with a quickness. Here I thought we'd have to patch up some injuries.

Heh, I wouldn't worry too much... we are barely halfway through the first 'episode' and there's still two more operations to go even. Plenty of time for all sorts of injuries! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time we celebrated Suzu-sensei's birthday. But now is already a new day. What will it bring? Remember how the last episode didn't have any Aoshima in it? Yeah, this one is a little different...

Asuza-san is...)

Seems like every day starts like this...

So let's find out.

Oh man, this will get ugly again, won't it?

My sister doesn't trust me.
It's true. I was there.
So, it's true then?
I've already told you that.! Have I ever lied to you?
Too many times to count.
All right, but that's different. That was then... this is now. That's why I said that you don't have to worry.
I think that's probably impossible as long as you're alive.
You're mean.
Oh, there's something I wanted to give you.
What's that?
Money?
100 thousand yen. Use it for the hospital bill.

I was given a brown envelope.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not how these things work.

Hold on, how did you get the money?
It doesn't matter. Don't worry.
You didn't do anything that you could be arrested for, did you?
Are you nuts?
So how did you get it then?
I've been secretly working a part time job.
You're lying. I can tell by your eyes. You didn't get a part time job.

It's just not for me.

Speaking of girlfriends, how IS she doing?

Why is he riding a bicycle?
He sold his motorcycle.
Really? But why all of a sudden?
A lot has happened.
Like what?
I imagine he feels guilty in his own way. Perhaps it has something to do with kindness to animals.

Don't worry, this is far from the end of the Inose family drama...

Clinical records to sort... still 20 to go. The next was treatment room No. 3.
Aoshima-san, are you all right?
Please, don't talk to me. You'll make me forget what I have to do next!
Can I help you?
No. Thank you. I've got to learn to do this on my own.
OK. Well, good luck.

don't keep her waiting.

Ok. I'm off.
(Aoshima-san is carrying too much, I hope she can manage it...)

There is a new person in the staff room, so while Aoshima is talking to Suzu, let's go see who he is.

I really don't have anything to say about his tie...

medicine.)

Hopefully not to be confused with other characters named Heikichi or for that matter Kouichi. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me who has an issue with Sauron vs. Saruman in Lord of the Rings. It can't be just me, can it?

So, about Heikichi-san...
I'd like to assign his SPX treatment to you, from now on.
Me?
I've been recording all of the data on the project instead of Professor Sawai. He's been really busy with other business.
Well, I'm sure that I wouldn't understand his business. He-he-he, he-he-he.
I understand. I'll take over administering Heikichi-san's drugs.

Wait a minute, isn't Aoshima...

bad mood.

SPX and tried to leave the hospital. Somehow he was calmed down later. He's back, being treated here.)

Heikichi-san's caregiver?

Note taken: Heikichi-san's attending Doctor.

This is definitely a bit strange.

Oh well, Suzu it is then.

...but Aoshima is already here.

before it piles up.

Oh, this is totally going to end well. I have no doubt.

It'll be too late once an accident happens.
Ok.
Ok, you can go.

job.

What is this about?

Looks like this might have something to do with Heikichi.

I have an impression that in the original Japanese at least some of these conversations are conducted in a slightly more formal language, so this "Ok, goodbye" really stands out in a bad way.

(Aoshima-san looks depressed.)

Listen...
What's the matter Tendo?

We should mention that Dr. Keiichi assigned us to be in charge of administering SPX to Heikichi-san.

I came to tell you that Dr. Keiichi entrusted me with Heikichi-san's drug administration.
How come?
Apparently Dr. Keiichi was in charge of it until recently...
But that duty was just transferred to Aoshima.
What... Dr. Keiichi didn't say anything about that.
He probably didn't think it was his place to say anything. That's the way he is.
So, does that mean that for the last few days Aoshima-san has been in charge of Heikichi-san? If that's the case, why me now?
Yesterday, Aoshima-san made a mistake and gave Heikichi-san the wrong dosage of SPX. Fortunately, the difference was minimal so Heikichi-san was fine.
(Oh, that's why Aoshima-san was called in...)
What will happen to Aoshima?
In what sense?
If I am put in charge of Heikichi-san, what will Aoshima-san's position be?

duty, shel'll be upset.

about that.

I honestly like Suzu as a character. She jokes around sometimes, but she's on the ball when she needs to be.

Let's make a quick stop at Heikichi's room for no particular reason.

around?

In case you forgot, Hikaru is Tendo's younger sister.

She's busy preparing for her school's welcome party for new students.
It's good she's enjoying school.
Everything at school is new for her.
Family is very important.
Eh?
Hikaru is like one of my own grandchildren, but... I couldn't help her, when she needed me. You saved her from leukaemia. I'm really grateful for that.
I did what any older brother would do, that's all.
Don't be so shy young man! You act like we're on a first date!

But our real next stop is Aoshima.

be fine.

you more.

nervous!

Over at the reception desk, Nurse Florence has a message for us.

get Heikichi-san's SPX administration records from the second ward.

And take them to Professor Sawai's office. SPX administration records are kept at the nurse's station.
I understand. The nurse's station. Right.

So I'm going to save you a bit of time again. This is another mini game where we need to click around the screen to find the required item. Upon finding the right drawer, Tendo realises that it is locked so then has to go back to Keiichi to get the key.

Heikichi-san's caregivers.

Thanks and sorry about the trouble.
Aoshima-san was in charge before me, right?
Well... yes.
By the way there is a new noodle bar opening next to the Bokka Bokkatei shop. There'll be more options for lunch.

At this point Keiichi gives Tendo the key for the drawer, but we can skip that dialogue as it contains nothing interesting. Also that conversation was extremely relevant... not.

the drug administration record.

After getting the SPX administration file, we can proceed to Sawai's office, but...

I came to give you something.

We should give him the file we just picked up

Ah, right. From now on you'll be in charge of the SPX patients.
Aoshima, you were one step away from killing that patient.
That's why... from now on...
(Aoshima-san must have come to apologize for administering the drug incorrectly.)

clear, Tendo?

at the hospital?

best!

Professor Sawai. Isn't that a bit unfair?
Let me finish.
Aoshima, you don't have much experience yet. And you're not used to this kind of work. If you continue to treat this patient and make the same mistake again... You could be fired.
You have a lot of important work left to do. Don't fail again.
I... I understand.
This time, I share the responsibility because I assigned you the task. So let's not worry about it this time.

Who's that? Also, I am pretty sure that this line is poorly translated, as I believe it's actually directed at Sawai and not as a response to what Aoshima just said. It should probably be something like "This is inexcusable!".

Hey, why not, Suzu might just as well join this whole thing.

didn't you?

alone.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

I just noticed this, but this game uses both "Dr." and "-sensei" for names. That's weird aren't they the same thing?

Yes they are the same.

And to confirm that, here are some screenshots from the first game, in Japanese:

On this one you can see Tendo referring to Suzu as Asou-sensei (麻生先生) -- Asou is her last name.

This second one shows our main character referring to Dr. Ueto as Ueto-sensei (上戸先生). Yes, this is what Ueto used to look like, and they do at some point in the second game make a reference how she's no longer wearing shades.

Finally, this applies even to interns... on this screenshot above our favourite nurse in pink uses Tendou-sensei (天堂先生) to refer to our main character.

Sawai is still referred to as Professor Sawai (沢井教授)in Japanese version.

Why they decided to randomly keep Sensei for Suzu but not for others, I have no idea, I guess to somehow reinforce that she is Tendo's mentor, although I think in Japanese it doesn't have quite so strong connotation of that in this setting. But then they still make a mess of it, since Suzu is her first name, so it's unlikely that anybody would call her Suzu-sensei by her first name (as we can see above where they call her Asou-sensei in the Japanese version anyway). No, the translation of this game is basically one disaster after another. The best thing that can be said is that there are not too many grammatical errors. :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 11, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Omobono posted:

So, in the first game, how many minutes did it take for our hero to go "Wow, I understand why mom left this douche"? One, one and an half top?

I think he finds out near the end of the first game if I am not mistaken.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh yeah, OP you can probably load your English save file into the Japanese version of the game if you're using an emulator. You can do this to check translation differences without playing through all the scenarios. That's how I got my videos of the JP version of SF3's final boss (because the MC's climactic yell in English is terrible.)

If you're using DeSmuME, load the JP game, then under file select "Import Backup Memory" and then select your ENG save file.
You might get a window complaining about save file size differences, but usually the default option is fine so just click okay. If it doesn't work, try selecting the second option in that window.

Hmm, I've tried to do this now, but all that happens is that after importing the save and selecting the option to continue from save point the screen in emulator goes blank and game does not play any more. Looks like the English and Japanese versions are not really compatible. The one issue is potentially that I have a European version of the game, which is a typical EU Nintendo deal with 5 languages in one cartridge so that may cause the issue. Ah, we'll see, I'll give it a few more tries and see what happens.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Pvt.Scott posted:

We obviously need to romance Florence. Not only is she an industry veteran with her finger on the pulse of the entire facility, as an older woman she's likely experienced in love. Her faith probably means she's kinky as gently caress, too.

Haha, unfortunately, Florence is not available for dating in this game. :v: There is only three people who are an option for that: Aoshima, Hoshi (who I've already mentioned) and, of all people, Sanae. If you can't remember who is Sanae, I don't blame you--we've only seen her briefly: she's the creepy OR nurse. But that last one is more of a joke option, so really it just comes down to Hoshi and Aoshima.

tiistai posted:

Yeah, I'd assume the original uses 子 there which usually means child or young woman but can be used about young or little animals too.

I'm pretty sure you're right on this one. It just goes to show how little attention was given to this game's translation, which is kind of annoying.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 15, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Well thank you both for the useful information and looks like I will have lots of reading/watching material for the coming weeks. Even though I don't live in the US, Crunchyroll videos seem to work for me, so that's good.

Also, next update should be coming tomorrow--we are not too far now from the end of first "episode". :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if the game will have some sort of ongoing plot to go along with individual cases.

Most of ongoing threads are so to speak character-driven rather than actually plot-driven. As an example if you remember (but it's been a while so most of you probably forgot), we have been told a rumour about Dr. Ueto's new boyfriend and even got a note about it. Well, that will actually come back into play at some point. That sort of stuff basically.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 17, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time when we left off, Suzu was about to have a conversation with Sawai...

supervisor. Going over my head?

I'm gonna say I'm getting a little lost here about what exactly is the command chain in this hospital... or possibly just another poor translation attempt?

Again, I'm pretty sure that the intent here is that Aoshima DIDN'T deserve quite as much abuse, but the way it's translated makes it sound the opposite way.

She isn't the sort to be discouraged by this.
As usual, you have no idea how those around you feel. Or maybe, you just don't care.
What are you talking about?
...Nothing...
Anyway, the next time you have something to say to one of my interns, please talk to me first. It's only fair.

symptoms?

And with that she storms off. This guy is really difficult to talk to...

Ah well. Aoshima said she wants to apologise to Heikichi, so let's head there...

Yeah... I was a bit frightened the day I was told about the mistake. But there's no problem, right?
Yeah... but...
If Sawai had told me I might have been more upset... But because it was Suzu, who is much more charming, no problem!
Suzu-sensei told you about what happened?
She said I was given more SPX than prescribed but there was no real danger. If there's no particular danger, I thought, then I don't need an explanation. But that's Suzu for you. Integrity!
So Aoshima, don't look so down, just take better care of me from now.
Anyway, until you came on board, that old dog was in charge of me... Every day was just grey and monotonous.
(Old dog? Is he talking about Dr.Keiichi?)
Well... You see... I've been taken off the duty roster starting today.
What? Are you serious?
..Yes, I am.
It must have been Old Lion Hair who removed you from the roster. So who'll be in charge of me from now on?

We'll show the note about Tendo being his attending physician.

Heikichi-san, I'll be in charge of you from now on.
What? I protest. My rosy days will turn grey and monotonous again. No way! I'll tell Old Lion Hair myself, if I have to.

Another dramatic appearance by Suzu!

What do you mean that it isn't necessary?
Tendo and Aoshima will both bein charge of you from now on. Professor Sawai made the decision. Any objections?
No. This will be great, I'll be allowed to do it again.
To do what? To get your bum pinched?
No, not that!
Well, that's it. Do your best.

The next day...

starting today.)

For once, Tendo is not wondering how is Asuza doing.

(Today is my turn. I've got to go to the dispensary and get the medicine.)

But first...

Didn't we already do this?

You're right. I'll go check in on Heikichi-san a bit later.
It seems you are the best medicine for Heikichi-san.
Unfortunately it isn't my bedside manner he loves.
Ha ha, that's...
(...probably right.)

We should go and get the drug from the pharmacy.

Unfortunately...

you with?

...she doesn't even have a name, so we won't be seeing her much. Also, where I'm from, people who work in a pharmacy are not called "techs".

In the interest of saving time, let me just summarise that this is ANOTHER pixel hunt mini-game, this time we need to find the SPX drug. It's actually in that glass cupboard at the far end.

I found the SPX!

So, let's go back to Heikichi.

Aoshima-san is very busy with our patients today... But she said she'd come by later.
Great, then all is well! If I don't get to see her at least once a day... I can't sleep.
(What!)
If you keep chasing the girls, you'll collapse again.
She's so bold. I can't resist it.

So we'll give him the drug we just picked up.

OK, I'm going to give you your medication...

wonder if I'm all right?

Are you feeling nauseous or anything?
No, not really. It's just that there aren't enough pretty girls to chase. Maybe it's a lack of exercise?
Hmm... I'll come back later.
OK. Say hello to Aoshima for me.

increases...?

Aoshima-san.
What? I don't need your help, that's OK.
It's not that. Why don't you take a short break and we'll go to the cafeteria and get something to eat?
I don't have time... Is it your treat?
O-- Of course
OK then. Give me 10 minutes. I've got to finish this mountain of clinical records.
OK, I'll wait in the cafeteria.
I'll finish these... quickly.
(Is she really OK?)

Cafeteria it is then.

anywhere to put another.)

for me.

payday.)

Here's the menu. It seems this month's special has changed.
(All these plates on the table... none of them are for me...)
What's the matter? You look upset.

first year here?

What? You incorrectly diagnosed someone?
Keep your voice down...
Oh, sorry. What kind of mistake?
They brought a patient here with an intestinal perforation, but... I misdiagnosed it as appendicitis.
Diagnosing appendicitis is really hard.

Well, not sure about that...

What happened?
Well, when we opened up the abdomen, the appendix seemed all right... But I hadn't noticed the gas coming out of the intestines in the X-ray.
What happened to the patient?
Survived.
That's good.
Because Suzu-sensei helped me with the operation.
I have to be honest, when I first met Suzu-sensei, I wasn't that impressed, but... She really is a great surgeon, isn't she? With her "healing touch".
That's true.

and allowing me to continue treating Heikichi-san!

mistake!

feel right. You'll see.

Note taken: Aoshima-san's promise.

This is one of the few actually normal conversation's we've had with Aoshima so far. Hopefully it will continue like this.

Well, so much about that, let's get on with our work.

Aoshima-san?

I don't know, it's such a sudden question...
Well, I suppose that Aoshima-san is attractive...
What are you talking about?
Why!? Has something happened to Aoshima-san?
She's been making a lot of careless mistakes recently... Well, needless mistakes.
A few minutes ago, she gave the prescription I asked her for to the pharmacy by mistake... The person from the pharmacy noticed the mistake so there was no problem but...
It's something we need to be careful about because of pediatrics... When the patients are kids, there is a very real possibility that such a mistake can become fatal.
That's true.

good.

out of line when I said it.

Note taken: Dr. Ueto's remark.

handle.

She does seem... to be working very hard. Every time I see her...
But that's putting the cart before the horse, don't you think?
OK, I'll try to talk to Aoshima-san about it without hurting her feelings.

Note taken: Dr. Ueto's worry.

her.

Don't worry, Tendo, it's not just you. I've also lost track of where this conversation was going about five minutes ago.

Errr... ok.

Suzu-sensei asked me...)

You know, I've just about had it with this Aoshima related drama... Let's just find her and finish this nonsense once and for all. But we don't know where she wen't so let's ask around.

ago.

Fine, let's go there. In fact, on the rooftop is a helicopter landing pad like in a real hospital there might be.

No, you will be able to go there, just need to find the key.

If we go talk to Florence, she'll tell us that the key is in the nurses' room.

Yep, it's another pixel hunt. The key is on the top left shelf.

Received: Key to the rooftop!

So we can go back to the roof now.

Next time on LifeSigns:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 18, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Galadrieal posted:

Well, things just escalated. :stare:

A major difference from Trauma Center, I've been noticing, is it not's so much about the surgeries. It's more about the character interactions, which is a nice change, but it makes the game feel like it's dragging.

We have probably about 3 updates left until the end of Episode 1 and they are going to be quite action filled--diagnostics, operations, even a psyche-lock style game!

Not to mention, baking sweet potatoes! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So last time Tendo managed to track down Aoshima on the hospital roof, but found her in a somewhat precarious position...

really dangerous?

What? Calm down.
But... anybody who saw you standing there, looking depressed, would think you were going to jump.
But I wasn't going to.
I... find it soothing to stand out here when I'm depressed.
My father is a roofer. He used to get angry at me because I climbed on the rooftops of unfinished houses.
So you're not afraid of heights?
Not at all. Maybe it's in my genes?
Wow. I'm scared just looking over the edge. Could we move away from the edge?
I suppose, if you're uncomfortable.

So, yeah. She's apparently the daughter of a roofer and likes to stand on edges of tall buildings to relax. Ok then. Oh and by the way whoever called this, you were right!

We'll show her the "Ueto-san's words" note, about what Dr. Ueto said how she does more harm than good for her patients.

a warning!

That's so irritating!
Yeah... what?
It's true that it was my fault... but it's exaggerated.
What Dr.Ueto said to you?
I'm working all the time and hardly getting any sleep. That's why I made that small mistake.
That's the thing, in fact...

And now we show the note about Ueto feeling bad about what she said...

harm to our patients with "small mistakes".

careless.

obvious.

helping them"?

mean.

Don't know about you, but I think that went rather well, no?

Oh... Aoshima san...
(I think I made her angry.)

Note taken: My regret.

To summarise the Aoshima/Tendo realtionship so far in one sentence: "Was it something I said?".

Oh, hey look, she's at the reception desk. Let's try and fix this.

on.

No... nothing important...
If this isn't official, I'd prefer not to talk to you.
(She is gone. She is angry.)

Maybe we should ask Ueto for advice since she pretty much got us into this mess.

Eh?
Have you told Aoshima-san what I said?
Yeah... I told her.
How did she react when you told her I'm really sorry and that I'd try to be more understanding next time?
Oh, darn... look at the time. I've got to get home. Can we continue later?
(I wonder if Aoshima-san is still angry...)

One way to find out...

Ok... well.

got things to do.

I spoke to Dr. Ueto a few minutes ago.
So?
She is really sorry...
So what?

(leaves)

N-- never mind.
(She's gone again. What a pain.)

win this bet?

The first one to the second traffic light wins.
And the motorcycles?
Look, I promised. The motorcycles are fine. It's so much trouble trying to sell a motorcycle and then buy another one.
I have no intention of buying another one.

Here's another one for the "this'll end well" list.

Right. Nobody could have foreseen that.

Back at the hospital, Tendo has more pressing matters on his mind.

it like this.)

I'll try to talk to her again.

But before we do so, we need some expert advice on how to approach it...

...and who better to ask for advice than Sanae, right?

So you haven't seen her today?
I've seen her... today, too.
Really? When?
Aoshima-san... was angry...

We need to present the "My regret" note here...

No, it's not that... I upset her a little...
Heh-heh-heh...
You shouldn't fight...
Yeah... that's why I'm looking for her. I want to make it up to her.
Aoshima-san mentioned that she liked... baked sweet potatoes...
Eh?

smile.

(Sweet potatoes aren't even in season. Where am I going to get them around here?)

Note taken: About Girls.

I am quite honestly at a loss for words at this point.

Hoshi is nice, she'll help us.

We should present the note we just took. She's a girl after all, she'll know.

around here?

potatoes.

Yes we are totally doing this. Need to find some baked sweet potatoes. Don't worry though, this particular subplot is not going to go on for several episodes.

easy to make.

Really? What do i need?
Well... You'll need sweet potatoes, aluminium foil, and a toaster oven. All three sacred treasures are necessary.
Three sacred treasures?
The important thing to remember is that when you wrap the sweet potatoes in the foil, make sure the steam has no way of escaping, so wrap them tightly.
Then you bake them in the toaster oven for 30 minutes and they're ready.

Note taken: Baked sweet potato recipe.

Thank you very much. I'll try this.
By the way, we've got some aluminium foil here.
Oh, thank you.

Received: Aluminium foil.

You won't believe who has some sweet potatoes!

hiding these behind your back all this time?

Oh, these? These were probably left by that old lady who was here before me...

This is literally getting sillier by the minute. Now it seems there are just random sweet potatoes lying around the hospital!

Really! Who leaves sweet potations lying around like that! Do you want them?
Really?

Received: Sweet potatoes.

Thank you very much!
This is a present to thank you for bringing Aoshima here.

Well then. All that's left to do is to find a toaster oven.

Ok, onto the second page of the "recipe for baked sweet potatoes".

I've wrapped the sweet potatoes in aluminium foil.

Here in the night room, there is a toaster oven.

oven.)

Over in the E.R...

We have an emergency! We have two victims, one is a boy who crashed his motorcycle and the other is the girl who he hit.
Ran Kisagi, age 10. The girl lost consciousness as a result of the accident, but regained it in the ambulance. She's complaining about pain in her left thigh.
The boy has a minor injury so we brought them together in the same ambulance. Do you have space for them?

traffic accident victims coming in. Do we have space for them?

One has a minor injury. You're the biggest hospital in the area...

Back with Tendo in the night duty room...

Aoshima-san's mood.)

I've got the baked sweet potatoes.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tiistai posted:

Nah, I bet that little girl is the sister just to make things more ironic.

Ah, no, it was already mentioned a few times that Tendo's sister is named Hikaru--the injured girl is named Ran, at least accoring to the ambulance report.

EagerSleeper posted:

LifeSigns accurately captures the high stakes game that is trying to impress a person with your sweet potato baking skills.

Everything seems easy at first, but then it all goes to poo poo.

I don't know... I've heard that sweet potatoes are a good way to impress the girls. I mean, it says so right here:

But anyway, it IS funny how much effort Tendo spends on it, only for the recipe to turn out to be basically "wrap them in foil, stick them in the oven".

In any case, as I've promised, the next episode is going to be filled with medical action! The question is... will Aoshima be able to handle it all?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

In the previous potato-action filled episode, Tendo's phone started ringing suddenly.

...but just as he was about to tell Aoshima about baked sweet potatoes...

Over in the E.R. (or alternately A & E, whichever one you prefer!).

anaesthesiologist?

(Thank goodness we introduced a 24-hour on duty anaesthesiologist. I feel sorry for Dr. Masui, but it really saved us this time.)
Who is the patient?
The patient is Ran Kisagi, a 10 year old girl.
There is another, a boy. He caused the accident. The boy was riding the motorcycle that hit the girl
They're both coming in the same ambulance?
There's been a mass food poisoning nearby. There aren't enough beds to go around, let alone ambulances. The boy has a minor injury, so I don't think we have to worry.

Famous last words.

(That's a good sign. She's conscious.)
Aoshima-san, check to see if you can find an available OR and...

We'll talk later. Are you all right?
Yeah, I just got a scratch, but the girl... Please go check on her.
OK. And you, go to the next room and have someone look at those scratches.
Do you think... Will you be able to save the girl?
I think so. Leave it to me.

Are you her mother?
Y... yes! I went to pick up Ran from school and on the way back I had to finish something at the office... I was late. If only I had left the office on time...
It's all my fault!
Please calm down.
Please... help my daughter...
Of course, we will. We will begin her treatment at once. Please wait here.

A moment later...

(She's fully conscious.)
Let me listen to your heartbeat. Tell me if it hurts, OK?

And so we enter a diagnostics section, it's been a while since the last one.

Here is what have so far; we need to find four more symptoms by using the three methods of examination.

I didn't really mention it last time since we didn't need to use it, but in the bottm right, we have a "minimap" of the patient's body, which we can use to focus on different areas. In this examination we'll need to use it.

First we are going to examine those scrapes on her cheek, because it looks like she may have hit her head.

(There is a scrape on the right side of her head. She probably hit it when she fell down.)

Next, let's also check her pulse.

(The pulse is a bit too rapid, but that's probably because of the pain.)

This one may be a bit difficult to find, but we need to check her grip.

Ran, please squeeze my hand.
Thank you. And now your left hand, please.
(The grip in her right hand is a little weak but that doesn't seem serious.)

The last thing to do is to check that scrape on her left leg.

(Her left thigh is swollen. She was probably hit on her left side...)

And all of this leads to...

...a diagnosis of "many injuries". But really, when you look at it, she got a bit banged up, but there isn't really anything conclusive apart from the fact that she may have hit her head.

...but this I don't get. Tendo wants to operate on the girl, but operate what? I would assume that for head hit she would just be placed under observation for a while, or at least we would do some kind of a scan? Possibly this is also a mistranslation.

Aoshima-san. Go take care of little Ran.
All... all right!

Our next task is to figure out what's wrong with Kouichi.

This is what we start with, and there is again four symptoms to discover.

Let's start by checking his neck pulse.

(His pulse is so rapid!)

Next, let's also check his face.

(His face is so pale! Is it possible that he's bleeding internally?)

We should also check the pulse on his wrist.

(I am not getting a pulse from his wrist.)

And finally let's look at that bruise on his upper abdomen.

Ahh! That hurts!
(What is it?)
(Maybe he broke a bone and it's injured an internal organ?)

(He must be bleeding internally!)
Kurai-san! The transfusion kit, please! I'm going to do an emergency blood transfusion!

After that's done...

Blood pressure's at 100... Ok, his blood pressure has stabilised.

So let's continue with the examination.

Next, we'll do an abdominal ultrasound. We're targeting four places: the liver, spleen, the Douglas Cavum and the heart.

This is a little embarrassing, since unless Kouichi suddenly changed his sex, there should not be anything named Douglas cavum in his body. But I guess they just mean the male equivalent part of the abdomen.

Again, we need to play "spot the difference". This one is a little harder than last time. But if you look at the top middle part...

...right about here, you will see some differences.

(Just as I thought. There is a haemorrhage near the spleen.)

We should do one more thing to confirm our diagnosis.

OK, let's get a chest X-ray, please.

One more time, find the difference against a normal image.

This one is more or less obvious.

(Two of the left ribs are broken. The broken ribs probably injured the spleen.)

With this, our diagnosis is complete--Kouichi's spleen is injured.

instead.

Lots of expensive words here. But, basically, what they are intending to do is, instead of removing the spleen (splenectomy), they will attempt to stop the bleeding by blocking a blood vessel (hemostasis) by using a tool that allows one to see inside that same blood vessel (angiography).

Have you ever done that before?
I saw one done once.
Only... once?
It'll be fine... I remember it perfectly. Besides, what other choice do we have?

best bet is a hemostasis, using an angiography.

This is an emergency operation to stop the splenic haemorrhage caused by the broken ribs.
We'll monitor the blood vessels using an angiography and insert a catheter into the splenic artery. Then we'll deploy an embolisation coil and when the splenic artery is covered, the haemorrhage in the spleen should stop.
The procedure is simple, but each step is delicate, so I'll have to concentrate to get it right.
Ok, so a coil embolisation of the splenic artery using an angiography.

disinfectant please!

We start the same as always.

She started complaining about a headache and nausea... I removed the CT from her head because she was becoming paralysed on her right side.
She's got a skull fracture and an epidural hematoma.

Epidural hematoma, internal bleeding inside the skull which causes pressure on the brain. As you can imagine, it's very dangerous and can leave one with permanent brain damage or even death. Usual treatment is to literally drill a hole in the skull to allow the blood to escape thus relieving the pressure buildup on the brain.

An epidural hematoma?
What should we do?
Just like with Kouichi, every second counts.

able to save them!

before!

them... will die!

hospital!

your patient.

before...

world!

Aoshima-san!

convince her!)

So if you played the Phoenix Wright games, you may remember the psyche lock segments from there. This is basically the same thing, we need to choose the right things from medical record that will cause the heart gauge on the right to fill up. Wrong choices can lead to decrease or even an outright game over.

But we'll deal with that next time. We also have a fairly difficult operation ahead of us which can drastically influence the outcome of this chapter.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

At the end of previous part, Tendo found himself in a situation where he has two patients who both need a fairly urgent surgery while being faced with a reluctant Aoshima.

And so, we have to convince her to deal with Ran while we stop Kouichi's internal bleeding!

As I've hinted last time, the goal is to fill up the heart gauge on the right. This, we accomplish by presenting items from our medical record. Presenting the wrong thing can lead to failure, so you can't just try everything. Let's see where this gets us.

than good"...

Aoshima-san?
Little Ran is the victim here. Kouichi hit her. This is his fault. We should make saving her a higher priority.
That's nonsense, Aoshima-san! Aoshima-san, you don't seriously think that? You can't.
I do. I'm serious. He isn't even sorry. He's brought this on himself!
Aoshima-san, I understand that this is your first operation... That you're nervous, but didn't you say...

Well, yes, she did. She said that "all life is precious", although she was talking about the dog at the time. Nevertheless, we'll present her words back to her, and...

I agree that his act was unacceptable... But it doesn't mean that you can abandon a patient.
That's true, but... But he's a special case... Because he doesn't care about anybody, but himself!
(Is that true? Does Kouichi care about anything other than himself? No, I don't believe it. He must have felt guilty...)

It's time to show the envelope, to show that he sold his bike to help out his sister.

the girl?

That's... I don't know why yet, but I'm sure that there's a reason.
He didn't feel guilty. That's for sure.
Even if that's true, we'll save both of them. There is no other choice!

I'm an intern too, Aoshima. Aoshima-san, if you calm down, you can do it!
Hold on! We may both be interns but don't compare us, Dr.Tendo. You've been supervised by Suzu-sensei for a whole year. I haven't received that much guidance from Suzu-sensei yet...
Honestly... My supervisor is Suzu-sensei. If it doesn't come from her, I don't have to do it!
Suzu-sensei asked me to supervise you.
I never heard anything about that!
(If we continue like this, I won't be able to get Aoshima-san to do anything. What should I do?)

Well, she want's Suzu, so we'll give her Suzu. Luckily we just got her new phone number, so we'll use that to call her!

nothing I can do but ask her to give you instructions.

Hello, it's Tendo. Two patients have just been brought in. Both are seriously injured and every second counts. But the only available doctors are Aoshima-san and myself.
OK.
I'd like Aoshima-san to treat one of the patients.
OK, is there a problem?
Aoshima-san, tell Suzu-sensei yourself.
Hello?
Aoshima?
Suzu-sensei, I don't know what to do.
Aoshima, if the patients are left like this, they will die anyway.
How do you know that? You haven't seen the patients!
Tendo wouldn't have called unless it was important.
You're not a student any more. You're an intern, a doctor. Doctors treat patients.
But...
Aoshima, do it!
Put Tendo on the phone please.
Hello...
I am on my way to the hospital but I won't make it there in time. I know you can do it, Tendo.
We'll be OK.
Aoshima-san, get to your operation!

Ok, we've managed to convince her somehow. Now we can finally get on with work!

operation!

once more.)

Actually, let's not. This is just an exact repeat of what was already said previously about Kouichi's operation: we'll use a catheter to reach the splenic artery and deploy an embolisation coil to stop the internal bleeding. Also, we'll employ the technique of angiography to be able to see what we're doing in blood vessels.

ago...

possible, so that I can help Aoshima-san.

Note the text in red. The game is soo not joking here. But I'll explain this in a moment.

I've got to act quickly. Hoshi-san, the disinfectant, please.

We start over, by disinfecting.

Note how the game is again pretending that we have 30 minutes to do this. Spoiler alert: we don't. Not even close to that much time. In fact we barely have any time to finish this operation without bad consequences. To be precise, we must finish this in no more than THREE MINUTES, otherwise we'll be too late to save Ran and she dies! In fact, Kouichi can die too, if we fail to convince Aoshima, because then we go straight to Ran's operation and he cannot be saved because we don't have two doctors available.

Three minutes, incidentally, is only barely enough to do this if you know EXACTLY what to do. Luckily, the game is merciful and let's you save right before you start, so in fact, there is no problem to keep trying until you do it right.

Anyway, let's continue. We need to puncture the femoral artery with a hollow needle.

The puncture is complete. Let's insert a guide wire through the puncture hole.

So we need to insert a wire through the needle into the blood vessel. The wire has a device on the front end that will allow us to stop the bleeding.

This is super fiddly and probably the second biggest time sink in this operation.

is next.)

the monitor.

coming in now.

Now we come to the angiography part. Hoshi mentioned something about a contrast agent. Basically the way this works is that a substance that is opaque to X-rays is injected into the blood vessels, therefore allowing them to stand out and us to see what we are doing in them. The goal is to guide the tip of the catheter (which you see at the bottom left) all the way to where it needs to go. It actually looks really easy...

...but there is a loooong way to go...

Our destination is the bright dot in the top right. As you can see the last bit is through some narrow curves, and every time we scrape the wall of the blood vessel we take a hit on the vitals. This is the part that takes the longest to do.

hemostasis by inserting coils.

Please notice the time... we only have about 1 minute left before Ran dies!

The coils will be loaded into the tip of the catheter. Keep inserting coils until the flow of blood completely stops.

Ok so what are we doing here? This is the blood vessel, and our catheter is on the left. It's loaded with embolisation pellets (not coils, that's a weird translation) and we need to "deploy" them in such a way so that the blood flow is blocked.

You can see here better how we do it...

...and so on until the blood flow is completely blocked.

Now I can see that you have a question. I've told you in the beginning that medical procedures in this game are reasonably realistic compared to Trauma Centre, and here we are shooting pellets inside a blood vessel like there's no tomorrow. Well, actually, believe it or not, but this whole procedure was fairly close to how it would really be done. Yes, including the pellets shooting out of a catheter. This is all real stuff how it is actually done in hospitals. Pretty cool, I think.

haemorrhage...

to normal!

You can see how I have about 45 seconds left and that is with knowing exactly what to do and pretty much doing everything right the first time. Especially with the pellets you can mess up and put them in such a position where there is no help but to start over (you can remove them by simply touching the stylus on them and try again).

it without you.

immediately.)

Of course the emphasis on "swift" means that we still have time to save Ran.

I'm on my way.
It's all my fault... my fault...
Don't blame yourself. Please, sit down and wait here.
I'm begging you... please save my daughter.
Trust us, we'll save Ran.

rest to you...

a week of training such a difficult task?

well.

right?

The purpose of this operation is to remove the hematoma caused by skull fracture.
Aoshima-san has already removed part of the cranium. Now I have to evacuate the hematoma and repair the vessel that is bleeding.
Each step in this operation is very complicated, so we'll have to perform with care. Any mistakes may be fatal.

in vain.

So here we are. Because we operation on Kouichi, we are joining this operation about 2/3 of the way in and there's actually not a lot left to do (if we failed to convince Aoshima, we would be doing this operation instead from the beginning and skipping the other one).

If it's not clear this is the side of Ran's head (use the ear for orientation) with skin "peeled back" and skull exposed. Aoshima has already drilled the holes and cut the skull bone, so we can take it from there. The first task is to remove the bone "lid" to get access to the tissue inside.

Also, what we have left to do is extremely easy, and there isn't even any time limit either.

Easy enough, just pick it up and move it.

The craniotomy is complete. I'm going to remove the hematoma. Kurai-san, aspirator please.

Kurai-san, never change!

In any case, this will be an action familiar to those who have played Trauma Centre. Just touch the screen and suck, so to speak. Of course we need to do all three.

Ok, all hematoma drainage is complete.
Let's begin the haemostasis on the brain's blood vessels.
(I'll stop the bleeding by cauterising the bleeding points with the electric scalpel.)

Nothing special here either, just need to cauterise the three blood vessels.

All spots have been cauterised. The hemostasis is complete.

matter. It will let us monitor recuperation.

Dura matter is one of the layers of tissue between the skull and the brain.

Again, easy, just put it in the middle somewhere through one of the circular hole-like openings.

All that's left is to replace the bone...

surgery.

...and to close up like always.

help. Thank you.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, we need to tell the mother that her daughter is going to be fine! But that's ok we've been occupied by a more important conversation.

Everything should be fine now.
Thank you so much. Really, thank you.

Later, back on the roof...

You too.
Dr. Tendo, that was really daring of you to give so much responsibility to a new intern. Did you learn that from Suzu-sensei too?
Sorry that I made you go through that.
That's OK. Like you said, I accepted the patients.
I'm so glad that the two of them were saved.
Me too.
Ah... I wish it was that easy to cure my heart.

We should finally give her those sweet potatoes that it took us so much effort to make! Although I should warn you: that action will take this conversation in a strange direction...

I made these for you, if you'd like them.
Baked sweet potatoes?
You looked really depressed earlier, I felt bad, so...
No, but... why baked sweet potatoes?
Because... I heard that all girls like baked sweet potatoes.
Don't get me wrong. I like them. But did you really think that these would make me feel better?
Well, I figured that you're really busy. And that you could use some time to relax and have a bite.
I'm sorry, am I bothering you?

pressures, right?

right?

embarrassed now!

Saved by the bell, quite literally!

Still later on, in Kouichi's room...

once and for all.

Yeah. The dumbest of the dumb.
On the bright side the police finally caught the Maiuei gang because of this. All three of them.
I really am ashamed of myself, causing you so much trouble while you're in the hospital. I'm always dragging you down.
Don't say that. You're being silly.
Come on Kouichi, didn't you pay your sister's hospital bills.
But that was the money I made selling the bike she bought me. I didn't earn it...

What? I should apologise, not you. Why?
Deep down, I've always blamed you... for mom and dad's accident.
At the same time, I've hated myself for feeling that way. Whenever I gave you money, I felt a bit less guilty. I wanted to erase my guilt with money.
I'm pathetic...
Listen, I'll find a part time job, as soon as I recover. I'll pay you back my hospital bills with the money that I'll earn.

leaving the hospital in full health.

It wasn't a waste. You needed that time to fully recover.
Well I'm fine now, no need to worry.
Kouichi, try to get along with your sister from now on OK?
I will Doctor, you too. May you and your girlfriend be happy for a long time.
When did you meet Dr.Tendo's girlfriend?
No... it's not like that. Kouichi, why do you keep saying that she is my girlfriend?
You just seem to be a good match for each other.
Really? What is Dr.Tendo's girlfriend like?
I don't have a girlfriend!
That's not what I've heard.

And thus ends our first episode! Everybody ended up fine, thanks to our main character's personal and medical skills. Hopefully you enjoyed it!

But don't worry, it's only one out of five, so there is still plenty more where this one came from! In fact, we'll be moving straight onwards in the next update!

As an aside, this game is certainly not one to bother about nice looking fonts, but honestly couldn't they have made that The End screen look just a LITTLE bit nicer? Seriously?

Next time on LifeSigns:

~~~ S.P.A.R.K.L.E. P.O.W.E.R. ~~~

Also: How to have a misspelled word in huge letters in your chapter title!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Man though, that ending was way better than the one I got :(

Ha, so which one did you get?

The problem is that other than the vague about needing to do it quickly the game really doesn't really give you any other indicators... luckily, there is a save point right before the operation, but who really wants to bother trying many times until you get the time down sufficiently. As you can see, if you know EXACTLY what to do it's possible to finish within 3 minutes, but if you were just playing this, you probably wouldn't know and it would take you longer (espectially since there are a couple of very fiddly bits with that catheter).

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you show off what happens if you don't succeed?

I could probably do this before we move to the next chapter actually.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

I failed to convince Aoshima so I never even saw Kouichi's operation. I saved Ran but he died.

Yeah, there are basically three possible endings:

1) Fail to convince Aoshima -> go directly to Ran's operation, Kouichi dies.
2) Convince Aoshima -> go to Kouichi's operation, finish in over 3 minutes -> Ran dies.
2) Convince Aoshima -> go to Kouichi's operation, finish in under 3 minutes -> finish up Ran's operation -> both Ran and Kouichi survive.

In fact the game is quite lenient, as both operations have a save point right before and also the 'convince Aoshima' segment also has a save not too far before it. So if you really wanted to it's not too much trouble to try again.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

JamMasterJim posted:

The annoying thing is that the game only has one save file, so when playing on the DS, you have to replay the chapter 3 times for the game to register the endings

The game does allow you to pick a chapter on second playthrough, but that's not really of much help since they all have multiple endings. This one is particularly annoying--thing is, the game allows you to redo surgeries from the menu once you do them all; but Ran's surgery doesn't count as done unless you do it from the beginning. And the only way to achieve that is to play the version of this chapter where Kouichi dies.

Also, this thing with finishing the operation in less than 3 minutes is going to com back a few more times.

But, fun stuff, next chapter has a hidden condition that we need to fulfill if we want to end up dating Aoshima by the end. At least it's just one of the necessary conditions, so you don't lock yourself out of the other two dating options (Hoshi and Kurai).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Before we move on to the next episode, let's have a quick look to see what happens if you mess up in the first episode. Note I am going to skip/summarise unimportant bits of dialogue here.

The first option for messing up is to fail to convince Aoshima.

convince her.)

The easy way to fail this is to remind her of her promise to pay us back the lunch that we bought her.

double what you borrowed, when we were in the cafeteria?

by myself.)

At this point Tendo talks to Kurai and Hoshi and tells them that he's going to operate on Ran first and meanwhile Hoshi should keep Kouichi's blood transfusion going, with the idea that if he's finished quickly with Ran, ha can go back and finish up with Kouichi.

Note that this is not actually possible, no matter how fast you do it, Kouichi dies.

So we move on directly to Ran's operation, except this time, since there is no Aoshima, we have to do it from the beginning! So, let's see what that looks like.

First we disinfect, like we always do.

Then we cut a flap in the skip so we can lift it up and reveal the bone.

After that, we use the dreaded electric scalpel to make an incision in the periosteum. Periosteum is typically a layer of tissue that surrounds the bones (except where they meet in joints).

Next step is to get the drill...

...and put some holes in the skull!

When that's done, next step is to cut out the piece of skull (like we've already seen in the successful run), by using a saw...

This is where we originally came in for this operation, and from now on it continues the same as before. To repeat, it doesn't matter how fast you finish, you cannot save Kouichi if you failed to convince Aoshima.

In any case, once we are done... we'll stop briefly to tell Ran's mom that her daughter is ok, which I won't repeat here, and then...

Interestingly, for some reason, game switches to calling Tendo "sensei" now, instead of the usual "Dr. Tendo".

Later...

We managed to save little Ran.
And the other one?
It's all my fault.
...It couldn't be helped. You've only been here a week...

It was... his fault...
No, it's all my fault. I spoiled him.
Asuza-san, don't blame yourself... It wasn't your fault. I didn't have enough experience.
Doctor... I'm very tired. Could you leave me alone?
Asuza-san...
Please, just leave me alone.
I'm really sorry.

I made a fatal mistake. I'll take the responsibility.
What responsibility?
You rescued the kid with the hematoma. Isn't that right?
But I let Kouichi Inose die.
Did you fail during the operation? Did you diagnose something incorrectly?
What are you trying to say?
It's true that yesterday a patient died in this hospital. The question is why?
...My inexperience.
Because a first year intern accepted two patients under impossible circumstances.
Those are the facts.

Unexpectedly, Sawai actually cuts us some slack here!

of Suzu-sensei who put Aoshima-san under my supervision.)

A few days later, Asuza-san left the Seimei Medical Hospital. I had no words to say to Asuza-san as she was leaving.
There was nothing I could do but stand there and watch her go.

And with this the episode ends and you move on to the second, literally like nothing happened.

So, the other option to screw this up is to successfully convince Aoshima, but to then be too slow with Kouichi's operation and take more than 3 minutes real time. Obviously everything else is exactly the same until you finish the operation, so we'll join the story at that point.

immediately!)

operation to a new intern!

it...

daughter's head, but...

But...?
I'm very sorry, that was all I could do...
Why?
How come you could rescue the one who killed my daughter?
Why did Ran have to die?
That's...

The conversation with Sawai is basically identical, except he says how we saved Kouichi instead of Ran in that one sentence, so we'll skip that.

And so, the next day, in Kouichi's room...

Proofreading, what's that.

A very bad dream... It wasn't a dream, was it? Doctor, how is the girl I hit?
Unfortunately...
Am I still... dreaming?
Believe me... I've wished that this was a dream so many times...

Hospital...

...and caused an accident.

I'm sure they meant to say "incident" here, but who knows with this translation. In any case, this is the other possible bad end to the first episode and the second episode starts after this scene.

So as you can see, both alternate ends are really pretty grim and it pays to actually do it properly to get the happy ending. The number of endings and their types differs between episodes, some have only one bad end and multiple good ones and so on. We'll explore that as much as we can as we progress through the game.

Anyway, it really is time now to move on to the second episode, so I hope you are ready for a plot that centres itself around a pop-idol, one named Kakkii (Or is it Kaikki, or Kakki or something else? The game's translators certainly can't seem to decide from one screen to another... Well, ok, I've looked in the Japanese version so I know that the correct spelling is Kakkii, but..)

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Glazius posted:

But yes, it really seems like they just relied on various system fonts to get the translation done and that's being really awkward.

Yeah like in this screenshot:

I cannot tell you HOW MUCH it bugs me that there is no exclamation mark at the end, because they are using a bloody typewriter-style font with all character being the same width and it just couldn't fit. I don't understand what's the problem in using a normal font.

It's actually even worse than that... I am actually doing all the update texts from a dump that I made of game files and basically they don't even use like a newline character to start a second line of text in their files, instead they put an X number of spaces in between words to push the next word onto a new line!

Which then leads to ugliness like this:

where they have one dot left over at the end of the first line because they didn't put enough spaces to push it over. Well, the text on this particular screen looks quite bad to begin with, but...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

With Kouchi dying, the title of the chapter makes sense, which is why I thought he was supposed to die.

As much as I would like to say there is a different explanation, unfortunately the only reason why the chapter title disagrees with its content is... wait for it... a lazy/careless translation...

So here is the Japanese title card for chapter one:

The chapter title in Japanese is simply すれちがう命, which basically means something like "lives in disagreement", or "misaligned lives" or some variation on that topic. I'm sure you will agree that this fits a lot better with the overall chapter content. Where "lost life" came from, I have no clue; the only explanation is that they may have assigned the title before translating all possible endings, so they didn't realise that they got it wrong, and since of course nobody went back to proofread this, the error was never corrected. I don't know.

But one other thing that's interesting to note is that in Japanese version episodes/chapters are called "charts" (カルテ), as in "medical chart" which I thought a bit funny.

Also note how much nicer the fonts look in this version!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The cherry blossoms have fallen, and spring has passed in the blink of an eye...
Two months have passed since Aoshima came to Seimei Medical University Hospital.
Then one day... I would never have imagined when Suzu-sensei called me to her office... that I'd be involved in such an uproar...

I'm going to say that this is my absolute favourite name pun in this whole game! This name is in the game written as 輝木力, but if we take the middle Kanji purely for its phonetic value, it translates into something totally awesome: "Sparkle Power". Yes, our pop idol is actually named Sparkle Power. How can you ever top that?

he'll be checking in tomorrow.

I'd like you to watch over him, Tendo.
Watch over... You mean keep an eye on him?
Yes, it seems he once ran away from a hospital in the middle of the night. So we have to increase security.
You're in the hospital day and night! That's why you're the man for the job!
But what exactly do you want me to do?
Just check up on him in his room every once in a while. And if he's not there, bring him back to his room. Doesn't that sound easy?

I'm sure there's some sort of a catch...

Well...

Why do you think I would go around telling girls about it?
You know... "Kakkii is being treated in my hospital!" You could use it to impress them!

Ice cold.

Yeah...
His fans are very persistent... So even if they ask, tell them he's not here!
Why would his fans come here if it's a secret that he's here?
It's scary out there. You never know what people might hear.

I'm leaving it up to you.

Note taken: Guard duty!

Later on, in Heikichi's room, we are discussing the situation...

He's a big star and all the girls love him.

Note taken: Kagayaki Chikara.

Heikichi-san, how do you know so much about pop stars?
Well, the guy makes girls all over the country go crazy for him! I thought I might learn some of his secrets to being popular with girls!
Yes, that would be worth analysing...
Is he that popular? This Kakkii?

Your hair maybe?
No, it's the same! The same as always...
Is it really the same?
Are you complaining?
No, no...
Surely only school girls would make such a fuss about a pop star.
I don't think so. I read on the internet that he's really popular among older ladies too.
Eh? Really?
(So he'll be checking in tomorrow. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I'm also a bit nervous.)

And so, welcome to Episode 2!

And no, your eyes are NOT deceiving you. They literally managed to misspell the name of the main "guest star" in the chapter title in huge letters.

To be sure once and for all, here is the Japanese title screen:

On this one, the name is clearly spelled Kakkii (カッキー), so there is no doubt at all.

In any case, we'll be meeting Kakkii soon enough, but for now, there is some "doctoring" to be done. There is somebody at the reception desk...

Oh hey, it's Eri-san... oh wait, most of you here haven't played the first game, sorry. I'll explain in a moment.

in good shape!

(This is Eri-san. She used to be a nurse in the E.R. At the time she said she was a temp...)

So yeah, this is actually a returning character from the first game.

In original Japanese version, she always calls Tendo "Doku-chan", and generally has a "cutesy" way of speaking, for which nobody from the localisation team even began to bother to find some sort of English equivalent. In fact there probably wasn't a team, they just picked some random guy who spoke a little Japanese.

She used to work in a prison-like emergency hospital seen above...

...as a nurse (seen above).

Her boss was a machine gun wielding surgeon, seen above.

But, let's get back to our conversation here.

We've been friends since high school.

In Japanese version it's made a bit more clear that Eri was Miina's senior as Miina calls Eri "sempai". Yes, as you could notice, with chapter 2 I have started playing the Japanese version in parallel in order to be able to check any inconsistencies in translation we come across. If these notes are annoying, let me know and I will stop, no problem. Generally, I'll try not to overdo it.

Ouch...
You look pale. Are you OK?
We were out shopping, when suddenly she had intense stomach pain.
OK let's go see the internal specialist to get it checked out.

This sounds kind of weird to refer to a doctor who specialised in internal medicine as an "internal specialist". But, as I've said, English is not my first language so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is... the specialist... a woman?
No, he's a man.
I'd rather not be examined...
What are you talking about? You've been complaining about pain since we got here.
I'm fine... really fine... Ouch...

room.

Yeah, but...
All right, all right. I'm coming. Don't cry.
Are we ready to go then?
Sorry. She's a crybaby. Don't pay any attention to it.
I'll take you to the internal specialist.

you can.

I'll be expecting you.

Received: Match Book.

Aren't you at Nogi Hospital now?

The prison-like hospital is actually the Nogi Hospital, so this question makes no sense as posed. Of course, checking back at the original, turns up that what Tendo really said was "Are you not at Nogi Hospital any more?". I think I need to stop looking at this as it's just going to annoy me how bad the translation is. Anyway, enough of that, moving on.

I'm taking some time off. It's a good shop, please be sure to come.
Ok. Well, take care of yourself!
("White Angel"... I wonder what kind of shop that is?)

Suddenly...

(Scream!)

this...

Does your stomach really hurt? You seem pretty healthy to me...
Sorry. Just give us a second. We'll be right back.

You pushed Dr. Keiichi?
Mi, what do you mean? You have to explain.
I was... scared...
Of Dr. Keiichi?
Yeah...
Why? He seemed nice enough.
No, it's not that...
So what is it?

Note taken: Androphobia!

We've known each other since high school!

I didn't want you to stop liking me...
Why would I stop liking you?
Because I'm... weird. Do you like men, Eri...?

Ah, that's a problem... There are no female interns in today.

Wait, wasn't Aoshima just with us, shortly before this?

Listen Mi, how about Tendo here?! He's not so scary, right? Look, he's pretty young.
Compared to that other guy... but... he's a...
You'll have to be examined soon, or it might be too late.
Miina-san, let's do a proper examination.
Aah... I don't want to...
Dr. Tendo is a close friend of mine, you'll see he's harmless.
...Harmless...
He's not scary at all. I swear. Ok?
Eri, if you say so...

Ok then, let's try this again. Back to the examination room it is.

started for Miina-san.

Note taken: Miina Irodori - Abdominal Pain!

Well then, let's ask Miina about it.

So it just started to hurt all of a sudden?
Yes, while I was out shopping... I was feeling fine up till then...
Did you eat anything unusual?
No... nothing at all.
We were just browsing through department stores... We hadn't even stopped for coffee.
(Looks like we can rule out food poisoning.)
Miina-san, when did the pain start?
When we were shopping, so around two hours ago... I think.
Tendo, is it bad?
(What could it be... Appendicitis, hernia, peptic ulcer, cholecystitis, constipation...?)

Note Updated: Miina Irodori-san's Abdominal Pain!

Miina-san, where does it hurt?
The upper part of my stomach... Ouch! Oh!
Miina-san, are you all right?
Sorry... I'm nervous, and in pain... Nauseous... I don't feel well..
You're also feeling nauseous?
When I'm... nervous, I imediately start feeling sick...
(Nausea? It's possible that it comes from the abdominal pain...)

closer...

stomach.

(Why do I feel guilty... Anyway, I have to find what the problem is...)
(I'll have to be sure not to touch her any more than necessary...)

So, here is what we have and there is only one symptom to still discover. Sounds easy, but...

...because of her androphobia, you are only allowed to touch her three times before it goes to an automatic GAME OVER. Except if you touch her breasts, in which case it's an instant GAME OVER. We'll cover this as part of the failure summary at the end of the chapter. Note that getting a game over at this point is really annoying as you have to start all the way from the beginning of chapter 2, there are no save points anywhere in between!

In any case, she told us that the pain is in the upper abdomen area, so we should try touching around there.

Does it hurt here?
Uhh... yeah...
(This is where the gallbladder is... Maybe that's...)

Epigastric area is simply upper abdomen, nothing else.

make a diagnosis.

Well, it's time for spot the difference. You'd have to be blind to miss this one.

Cholecystitis or... inflammation of the gallbladder, to put it simply.

Note taken: Miina Irodori's results!

gallbladder!

to be hospitalised.

hospital a week after surgery.

Laparoscopy is a type of surgery done with an aid of a miniature fibre optic camera inserted into the body; it is generally a lot less invasive than a normal kind of surgery. Removal of the gallbladder is most commonly done this way.

what could have happened.

examination now.

your stay.

comfortable as possible.

Miina-san.)

Yeah, let's see where this is going to go. Also, we may finally be meeting Kakkii!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 10, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

In all these palpation minigames (Trauma Team comes to mind but there is a few others) you occasionally get female patients. And at first I was like "oh hey, the game is making an emphasis that I should be an adult and do my job as a loving doctor and not be a perv. Ten points!"
But if you read the dev commentary, there is always one line that is like "the palpation was our favorite minigame hehe what a good life doctors lead" and you just want them to gently caress off all of a sudden.

I really wish I never read Trauma Team's dev commentary :sigh:

Yeah I remember something like this also from the Valkyria Chronicles 2 LP thread... basically the OP posted some scans from the artbook that was published with the game. The artbook contained loads of sketches of all characters, which were accompanied by the developer notes about the creation/development of that particular character's look and personality. For female characters, in 100% of the cases, these comments degenerate into them describing how long it took them and what process they followed to decide on the size of that particular character's chest and how they had to choose the right breast size that would correctly reflect that character's personality. Basically you want to take a shower after reading that stuff.

I'm really not sure if these comments are real or just pandering to the typical steroetype of an antisocial otaku in Japan (probably a bit of both)--in any case, I am not aware of any artbooks/developers commentary for these two games, so we're probably ok on that front. Gameplay-wise, palpation in the breast area very definitely gets you at least scolded if not an outright game over like in this case.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Waffleman_ posted:

A singer with polyps on his vocal chords? Thaaaat seems familiar. But whatever could I know it from?

I don't know, maybe this this old anime? Well it's not that old, it's from 2002.

If it's not that, then I don't know...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Ahh, I see. It's been a long time since I played that so don't remember much. I do remember however that it was really hard! In any case, this game came out just a couple of months after first Trauma Centre, so it's probably just a coincidence! :v:

On another note, I have decide to employ the following simbol from now on:

This will indicate the notes in text which are specifically related to Japanese translation/cultural issues to make them easy to spot. I'll go back and edit the previous updates with this also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Sorry about double posting, but... this is important! :v:

I have been playing around with the JP version of the game to see what else I've missed... and there is a big one in the last update that I didn't pay attention to... (it's not actually important for the plot, but...)

In any case, turns out, our friend Heikichi is way more pervy in the original.

So that conversation about Aoshima's hair looking different? Yeah, it's not about her hair in the original.

Starting with this picture:

...here is how this conversation goes in Japanese version:

Heikichi: Today is Wednesday, so... green frilly ones?

This is already very different, but it only gets worse from here...

Tendo: Green frilly ones...?

Aoshima: W- wrong! They're white!

Tendo: Eh... white?

Tendo is a bit clueless here...

Aoshima: What are you complaining about?

... and here we join back with the conversation as seen. I don't suppose I need to tell you what they were talking about.

So yeah, not only is translation crap, but it's also "censored" (but I guess no surprise there, because Nintendo). To be honest, I don't feel particularly slighted for not having this kind of content in the game, but I thought it would be interesting to see...

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 10, 2015