Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey it's this game. "Hospital affairs" is a better name, though I played the Surgical Unit one.

It's...an odd one. I can't say it's bad, I liked it enough, but it never really...gelled...for me. I'll wait till the game's more in gear before posting about that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It might be just the translation, but man everyone shits on Tendo hard. Phoenix Wright gets more respect than he does.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, a lot of the views the game presents is probably representative of the Japanese health care system. So I guess I can understand why they'd leave it in Yen. Then again, I was never bothered by honorifics either, so :shrug:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Trauma Center, if only Tendo's name began with an S...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do they really give you 30 minutes to complete the first operation?

You really don't want to take that long. IIRC your patient's vitals slowly drop as time goes on. And of course it affects your score, which is good for something.

My one gripe about the surgeries is that they have a weirdly gamey score and health mechanics, but the actual procedures are fairly down-to-earth. TC's arcadey gameplay fit in well with its scoring and mechanics.
Some of the tools are a bit finicky, I remember the disinfectant being particularly picky about how you disinfect the area. And yeah I never got the hang of the electric scalpel.

I did enjoy the atmosphere of your doctors looking down from the top screen, and having to do procedures grounded in reality was a nice change from the usual TC shenanigans. I will say this about the game; it does a good job of keeping the tension without introducing a parasite with an Ominous Latin Choral Section. The last few operations are legit cool.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Edit: But the apple description says it was Kouichi's motorcycle... and it says he got hit, although he's not here? ... I don't know what happened.

It was Kouichi on the motorcycle. He was checking out the new girl of our cast and wasn't paying attention when a dog ran across the road. He swerved, which caused a truck behind him to swerve and spill fruit. Tendo was just walking along the sidewalk.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jothan posted:

So, wait, instead of training an anesthesiologist to use anesthetics, we could just give a boxer medical training to perform the same function, and save a ton of money on medical equipment?

We need people to wake up after though. See, unlike what Deus Ex: HR would have you believe, when you punch a dude hard enough to knock him out, you are seriously damaging the dude's brain. It's not as lethal as shooting a guy, but you're still causing permanent, potentially lethal, damage.
Ditto with anesthesia. It's easy to knock out people with chemicals, but you want to minimize the damage the chemical does to a person, but you don't want them to wake up either.
Add in allergies, potential respiration problems and a myriad of other complications, and you'll see that surgery is no picnic for them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've seen Healing Touch show up in a few other places. I think a character in Say Hello to Black Jack was said to have one (no, has nothing to do with Tezuka's Blackjack. It's a very sobering manga which is extremely critical of the Japanese health care system) along with a dude in Team Medical Dragon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dariusknight posted:

Team Medical Dragon literally shows what the Japanese health care system is really like, it's all about tenure and the old boys club and choosing patients that won't screw up someone's record.

It's still a power-trip due to Asuda's do-no-wrong actions and his plot invincibility. I like the guy and I admit he is pretty badass, but let's face it, he's a Marty Stu (Genius Surgeon! Ability to diagnose people in a flash! Bangs a hot nurse! Can find affected tissue machines can't pick up via palpitation! Operates on anyone who needs it and asks for nothing in return!)

OTOH, Say Hello to Black Jack is a much more serious and down to earth story about what it's like to be a cog in the machine. And what an insignificant cog you are. Which admittedly is a problem with the manga, it's morose as gently caress.

Anyway, reason I bring it up is because both of those manga claim that internship is super important in Japan. Depending on who your mentor is, your career prospects vary wildly. Aoshima is worried she is going to get stuck with an incompetent senior as her mentor which will worsen her ability to get hired in the future. Not sure how true that is, but it does help explain why Aoshima is being such a jerk to Tendo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

You know, I really need to read Team Medical Dragon, I keep hearing good stuff about it every once in a while and then I forget about it until next time...

So, I guess, thanks for reminding me about it again. ;)

Fair warning, the story is unfinished because the author died from liver cancer in real life.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They say he carved that club out of a bigger club.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So what's the deal with old pervert patient?

It's an anime trope.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just noticed this, but this game uses both "Dr." and "-sensei" for names. That's weird aren't they the same thing?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah, OP you can probably load your English save file into the Japanese version of the game if you're using an emulator. You can do this to check translation differences without playing through all the scenarios. That's how I got my videos of the JP version of SF3's final boss (because the MC's climactic yell in English is terrible.)

If you're using DeSmuME, load the JP game, then under file select "Import Backup Memory" and then select your ENG save file.
You might get a window complaining about save file size differences, but usually the default option is fine so just click okay. If it doesn't work, try selecting the second option in that window.

VV Ah yeah that could happen too. Ah well.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Why are we going to such lengths to please a bitchy intern who is going to get someone killed because of whatever insane chip she has on her shoulder?

Because Tendo sympathizes with her and because he is an extreme doormat.
To be fair to Aoshima, she gets better.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tendo may be a doormat in most aspects of his life but when it comes to ER matters he doesn't gently caress around.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In Aoshima's defense, what Tendo was asking her was legit illegal, wasn't it?

Man though, that ending was way better than the one I got :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

Ha, so which one did you get?

The problem is that other than the vague about needing to do it quickly the game really doesn't really give you any other indicators... luckily, there is a save point right before the operation, but who really wants to bother trying many times until you get the time down sufficiently. As you can see, if you know EXACTLY what to do it's possible to finish within 3 minutes, but if you were just playing this, you probably wouldn't know and it would take you longer (espectially since there are a couple of very fiddly bits with that catheter).

I failed to convince Aoshima so I never even saw Kouichi's operation. I saved Ran but he died.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

With Kouchi dying, the title of the chapter makes sense, which is why I thought he was supposed to die.

quote:

one named Kakkii (Or is it Kaikki, or Kakki or something else? The game's translators certainly can't seem to decide from one screen to another... Well, ok, I've looked in the Japanese version so I know that the correct spelling is Kakkii, but..)

Kyriaki :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In all these palpation minigames (Trauma Team comes to mind but there is a few others) you occasionally get female patients. And at first I was like "oh hey, the game is making an emphasis that I should be an adult and do my job as a loving doctor and not be a perv. Ten points!"
But if you read the dev commentary, there is always one line that is like "the palpation was our favorite minigame hehe what a good life doctors lead" and you just want them to gently caress off all of a sudden.

I really wish I never read Trauma Team's dev commentary :sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Kakki is legit great. I really like what they did with his character.

The worst example of "eat your hamburgers, Apollo" had to be in Lux Pain (along with the rest of the trainwreck which was Lux Pain's localization). The game takes place in Kisaragi City, which is very obviously in Japan. People have Japanese names (Atsuki Saijo, Rui Yamase and so on), use honorifics (sporadically), wear yukatas and school uniforms and so on. Then about 5/6th of the way though the game someone offhandedly says "We never dealt with anything else of the sort here in America!"
That was so jarring to me that it legit took me out of the game. It felt really, really weird.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Letting an obsessive 8th grader run around the hospital! What can go wrong?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's face, the battle was lost before Tendo was even involved.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh wow you get an instant game over of you don't convince him? That is loving harsh.
Glad I dodged that bullet.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They say that the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I'm afraid you're gonna need a more direct approach for this one, Hoshi.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is a really mean extra cause you're right in the middle of this goddamn fed-ex quest so you forget all about Ueto's letter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

They need better security at this hospital, jeeze.

I'm not made out of Ye-AMERICAN DOLLARS, Tendo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Zaphod Beeplebrox of pop stars.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Probably because she looks emaciated and wrinkly as opposed to having anime-perfect skin like she does every other time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man it sure was easy to teach that girl how wrong she was to be so obsessive about Kakki and to cure Minna of her androphobia!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was pretty :geno: after Chapter 1's failure mode. There's only an extra scene with Cookie and that's it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jellyfish, huh. I'm sure nothing will come of all that :)

I really do feel for Tendo though. Dude is still not a full doctor and he also has to deal with his family troubles on top of that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Start prying into people's private lives now Tendo, you should get an early head start before one of yells "I toppled the elf statue I'm sorry!" While you're performing cardiac surgery.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kallev posted:

It'd be pretty neat if the local doctor just asked Tendo to help him restock the clinic and handle some minor stuff while the local doc did the inevitable jellyfish related surgery. They won't do it, but it would be neat.

Tendo's enough of a doormat for that to happen. It would make for a pretty boring chapter though.

ivantod posted:

On an unrelated note, does anybody else feel that the game authors had a good idea with a temporary change of setting? Because I really do feel like this did bring in a bit of a fresh air into the story with a different location and some new characters for a while.

The game actually has pretty good pacing despite its translation issues. I don't remember a single part that dragged for too long. The changes in locale do a lot for it, yes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TBH the only actually positive look on mental healthcare media that came out of Japan was the anime Trapeze. And even that one admitted that it fluffed some parts for drama and was just in general...really, really weird.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I thought the Habu Snake thing was made up :stare:

And yeah the way to get the snake into the bottle are :stare: :stare: :stare:
That's the real scary story of this chapter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And away we go!
You gotta feel for Hikaru. It's her first vacation and Tendo is getting swamped with medical drama.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey come on now, Lux Pain isn't bad! The translators just loved it way, way less than this game :(

Okay and its mechanics were dodgy and not well explained. And it expects you to be a VN veteran player and obsessively trawl through bonus dialogue. But other then ALL that it's great!

:negative:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They say that old pain can be overridden by applying pain to another part of your body. I guess family drama is more painful than stonefish venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

Or maybe we'll have to do surgery on a bomb?

Wait no, that's the other game. :confused:

That mission was utter horseshit and I still love it dearly. "We can totally do this! I dated a guy who worked in bomb disposal!"