Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Tweak posted:

From the gallery, "YOURE LUCKY HE MISSED THE PUTT" lmao

yeah this was cheeky.

i'm hoping for a "grand slam" chant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Never mind, Pacific northwest galleries are great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crediting his caddie, you rule Jordan

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Tweak posted:

From the gallery, "YOURE LUCKY HE MISSED THE PUTT" lmao
:laffo: I'm glad it wasn't just me who heard that

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spieth won a great Open and I've gotta watch Joe loving Buck interview him while adult Ralphie from A Christmas Story looks on between them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Can't win 'em all if you don't win the first two", there's some confidence

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That was a loving master deflect by Spieth

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

:hawksin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

That was a loving master deflect by Spieth

Yeah this kid rules

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"You're the youngest to win it since Bob Jones in 1923."

Yes Joe Buck, everyone refers to him as "Bob Jones"...

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I followed Speith on Twitter after the Masters :cool: :bandwagon:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Everyone is saying Bob Jones... why

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Everyone is saying Bob Jones... why

Because fox loving sucks

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Josh Lyman posted:

"You're the youngest to win it since Bob Jones in 1923."

Yes Joe Buck, everyone refers to him as "Bob Jones"...

He of the famed university in his name.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Amazing tournament. DJ missed so many makeable putts, then again it seemed like everyone did. Hard to tell how much was the greens and how much was just the players lacking confidence in said greens. I still can't believe he 3 putted from 12 feet even with how fast that was.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I know an eagle wins you the open, but the way those greens were, you've gotta err short there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Under Armour signed Spieth to a 10 year contract in January. How loving lucky are those guys!

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Just got back from Chambers. Holy poo poo that finish.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Parody Threads posted:

Just got back from Chambers. Holy poo poo that finish.
Were you on 18 for DJ's putt(s)?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm glad Jordan won, but that's a pretty brutal way to lose it for DJ.

When he hit his 2nd into 18 to 12' the odds of him 3-putting to lose had to be lower than the odds of him making it to outright win, even on those greens under that kind of pressure.

Something like:

-20% make for eagle to win
-70% 2-putt for the tie
-10% 3-putt to lose

Crazy.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha this is brutal:

quote:

America's Chris Kirk took a sextuple 10 on the par-four first. There were no lost balls, hacks out of the rough or penalty shots, just an inability to chip a ball up a slope. He watched as his first five attempts rolled back to his feet and even when he did get the ball on he green, he three-putted. He only dropped two more shots in his eight-over 78 but finished last on 21 over.

Also..

quote:

Lee Westwood on his Chambers Bay experience: "It's the kind of course I'd like to come and play with my mates, with a cart and some beers."

quote:

In a 15-minute rant, Billy Horschel, who carded a three-under 67, said: "We're not looking for perfect greens. We're looking for something that's very consistent and this week they're not. Four is God awful. Ten is not much better where it was. That hole is in dirt. It's literally dirt. There's no grass around that hole.
Referring to the limited or no access to some holes for fans, Horschel added: "It blows my mind that they would build a golf course and not think about the fans. The fans got robbed this week."
And Horschel said that a caddie was asked if there was any grass on the fourth green and replied: "Yeah, two blades, and they're not even close to each other."

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 22, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The local area's fans felt like getting the U.S. Open in Washington was a really big deal that would put the state on the map later and it's a heartbreaker that it's considered an unbelievably awful course.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The local area's fans felt like getting the U.S. Open in Washington was a really big deal that would put the state on the map later and it's a heartbreaker that it's considered an unbelievably awful course.

Chambers bay is literally what Westwood said. If you're going on there to score well you're playing the wrong course. Its like one of the courses where I'd hit driver every hole just to see where it would end up and see what type of whacky putts I could make putting the opposite direction of the hole. That said I am going to Tacoma in a few weeks and I was going to attempt to check it out, but I wouldn't even pay real dollars to play there. So I need to see if they except monopoly monies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Players bitching about the course seem to be kinda missing the point. It's the goddamn US Open, it's always meant to be hell on wheels.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin posted:

Sergio Garcia compared it to playing basketball without a backboard. Henrik Stinston said it was like “putting on broccoli.” Rory McIlroy said that was wrong, it was more like putting on cauliflower, broccoli is at least green.

holy poo poo Rory :thurman:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DJExile posted:

:boom:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

:drat:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The problem with the course isn't that it's difficult. The problem is that it's a 10 mile hike with nine minute walks between holes, the spectators are on cliffs hundreds of feet from the holes making it feel like playing on the moon, portions of the course were dead/dirt, some of the greens were infested with more than one type of grass, and said greens were bumpy (which yes, is something real life golfers need to deal with, but is pretty lovely for the most important golf tournament in the country).

It tries so hard to be a Scottish links course that it seems more like an amusement park than a golf course. It's like one of those foreign country exhibits at Epcot (the train is the icing on this proverbial cake). The pictures look like the UK but once you get there you take a closer look and realize you paid $200 to stand around taking pictures with people from Alabama. In pictures it looks like a links course with its seaside setting and rolling landscape with unkempt vegetation everywhere, but up close it looks like it's fighting its architect because it doesn't want to grow on a quarry/gravel pit/whatever it used to be. And the weather simply isn't variable enough to imitate British links golf.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's not the best course, but I'd also like to see what it would be if Washington wasn't in the middle of a drought. If the rain there had been regular and the course was in the condition it was meant to be in, I think it would've been great. The green maintenance was really my only complaint. I don't really care about fans being far off the course, though I can understand the complaints.

The greens absolutely need to be better if they ever run a tournament again. I like difficult greens, but when you see numerous putts where someone read things properly and crappy greens caused the ball to do something it shouldn't have, it's a bit much.

The U.S. Open should be extremely difficult, but you should still be rewarded if you do things correctly. I loved the rest of the set up though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The course has an irrigation system, doesn't it? I understand the west coast of the U.S. is in a drought and facing water politics, but is the course reliant on natural rainfall to remain healthy? My impression is that the USGA deliberately dried it up to create fast fairways and greens to protect par - which incidentally is the reason I mentioned variable weather in my previous post; with moist and windy conditions you don't need to kill the course to protect par.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

The course has an irrigation system, doesn't it? I understand the west coast of the U.S. is in a drought and facing water politics, but is the course reliant on natural rainfall to remain healthy? My impression is that the USGA deliberately dried it up to create fast fairways and greens to protect par - which incidentally is the reason I mentioned variable weather in my previous post; with moist and windy conditions you don't need to kill the course to protect par.

as heavy as the PacNW can get with rainfall, i suppose it's entirely possible they don't have an irrigation system, or very rarely use it.

E: A few years ago I played about 7 different courses between the Highlands, Belfast, and Dublin, and I can recall maybe 2 of them having irrigation systems (that I noticed, anyway), but that part of the world is basically under constant rainfall so it doesn't matter as much as it might to other areas.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Josh Lyman posted:

Were you on 18 for DJ's putt(s)?

Yes. Unreal.

I was also on 1 right next to the grandstand when Chris Kirk played his noob wedge 5 times to reach the green. Kirk is a stupid loving idiot and any normal human would have aimed for the back of the green after the first two, then lagged a nice two put to move on with his life. Of course he's salty about the course today, he lost the mental battle on the first hole. That's not the course's fault.

iMHO, the people containing about the course are morons. The pros want greens that look like a cross between grass and Alec Baldwin's hair, and they get all pissy at the idea of having to play in a way that incorporates the risk of irregular putting conditions. I say deal with it. There's a reason Spieth, who has a complete loving game and might already have the best mental game on tour, won the thing.

Btw, the USGA knows it's hosed in the long term on water issues, they had a bunch of propaganda about water stuff around the grounds. The pros need to shut up and deal with it and that's not my opinion, that's the USGAs.

I found the fan experience fine, although I'm capable of walking 10 miles without bitching or falling over, so ymmv. I've played the course before as well, under much greener conditions during a rainier season. It didn't play that much differently as I saw it.

Anyway the top players in the world finished at -5ish and a bunch of the not so top players have hurt butts, sounds like a proper US Open!!

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Some terrible fan experience photos:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Parody Threads posted:

Anyway the top players in the world finished at -5ish and a bunch of the not so top players have hurt butts, sounds like a proper US Open!!

Even the players in the top 10 complained about the course many, many times - Spieth included. It's easy to be less butthurt after it's over and you finished where you'd hoped.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad course, but it's a fragile course. When it comes to setting up an Open course the USGA is a one-trick pony: let the rough and waste areas grow unfettered, push the fairways and greens to the absolute limit of speed. From tee to green everything was fine, but they pushed the greens too hard and some of them turned into bumpy, dead dirt and gravel.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I mean yeah the greens weren't like Torrey Pines, but the nature of this entire course and event cuts against the one trick pony thing. I'd argue that quick greens, long rough and fast fairways are kinda mandatory for an event like the US open.

Anyway, this about sums up my thoughts:

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jun/13/us-open-golf-major-chambers-bay-nicklaus-pga-tour/

Jack posted:

Guys would say a course doesn’t suit their game. It’s not supposed to suit your game. You are supposed to suit your game to the golf course.”

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

The strongest part of Spieth's game is his putting and he won the tournament so I have a hard time paying much attention to people bitching about the greens. And as far as I can tell, all three of DJ's putts on 18 rolled true.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ironlung posted:

The strongest part of Spieth's game is his putting and he won the tournament so I have a hard time paying much attention to people bitching about the greens. And as far as I can tell, all three of DJ's putts on 18 rolled true.

I think it's likely his second putt started off in the wrong direction because of the local depression the ball's stopped in. There were a lot of short putts that seemed to suffer from that -- the ball needs to get some angular momentum before it keeps on line. You'd see almost every putt stop by rolling backwards back into the nearby lowest point. That's a solvable problem, if you're willing to depart from your standard pro golfer professionally trained putting stroke.

Also it is possible to have really cool, non-cauliflower, but "natural" greens that roll true, with green patches and scaly patches, and varying green speed.

Also the course definitely has an irrigation system, they had sprinkler heads around the greens.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 22, 2015

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Yes it has irrigation. And the USGA was totally signed off on the course.

Like I said, they had a ton of poo poo everywhere about the future of golf and sustainability and water access, they know golf has huge problems coming down the pipe (which might be the only things in the pipes for golf in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada or California lmao).

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The hard is what makes it great. Get on Spieth's level cunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

sarehu posted:

I think it's likely his second putt started off in the wrong direction because of the local depression the ball's stopped in. There were a lot of short putts that seemed to suffer from that -- the ball needs to get some angular momentum before it keeps on line. You'd see almost every putt stop by rolling backwards back into the nearby lowest point. That's a solvable problem, if you're willing to depart from your standard pro golfer professionally trained putting stroke.

Maybe I'm not reading the last sentence correctly, but it seems to suggest that the solution to bad greens is to putt with a bad stroke. I've never heard anything like that before.

The pros don't have a single, immutable putting stroke they are unwilling to depart from. They have multiple putters with varying weights and lofts (and correspondingly different albeit similar stroke mechanics) that they choose from, depending on the speed and condition of greens. But there isn't a magical stroke that makes a bumpy green roll true.

• Locked thread