Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The pictures give me hope it'll have some of the scope that was so sorely lacking in vanilla DS2 - huge building and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not just me who sees that first image as an Elite Knight giving the thumbs-up, right.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm getting a big Zdzisław Beksiński vibe from that concept art.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 1 is the best game and I will always love my forest guardian friends. The trailer clearly had Lordran in the background but races from 2. I'm thinking it takes place when the giants invaded before Dranlec was founded?

Also steam in the trailer :D

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
*stares wistfully into the distance* i want to play dark souls 3

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The armor the signature knight is wearing looks like its animated to be constantly on fire.
Looking forward to some crazy animated items in this game, I loved the look of the Sunset staff from DS2.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dear Lord Gywn I am so erect.

Solomonic posted:

*stares wistfully into the distance* i want to play dark souls 3

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Please take the story, presentation, and level design of DkS1 or Bloodbourne and smash it together with the multiplayer, fighting, and build variety of DkS2.

B Team + Miyazaki please.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Probably in the minority, but I prefer darksouls 2. I wasn't super impressed by the ~~super complex~~ intertwined design of DS1, overall the game was solid but felt completely unfinished after O&S. For me, the 4 kings segment was okay, but the other lordsouls were horseshit bad and the final level was an embarrassment.

DS2 gets knocked for not having a connected world, but rarely do I see people dig deeper and discuss why this choice was made. The level design of DS2 is "short segments" - because in a world where you can teleport between bonfires it doesn't matter at all if your zones are connected. These short segments are absolutely required due to the design choices made for:

1. Limited enemy respawn (10 kills/playthrough)
2. Bonfire Asteics (raising individual segments of the game to NG+)
3. Torch mechanics
4. Much harsher limits on Estus at the start / most of the game.

Past level design, DS2 just feels like a more complete game for me. Expanded spell selection, less obtuse crafting, more quality build diversity, and better multiplayer options all work in DS2's favor. Both DS1 and DS2 are 85% + games IMO, but DS2 is certainly the stronger title. I do think the criticisms of having too many humanoid shape bosses was legit, however, as well as a number of other gripes, just not level design.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The armor the signature knight is wearing looks like its animated to be constantly on fire.
Looking forward to some crazy animated items in this game, I loved the look of the Sunset staff from DS2.

If this game allows me to be constantly on fire it will be GOTY.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fargom posted:

Probably in the minority, but I prefer darksouls 2. I wasn't super impressed by the ~~super complex~~ intertwined design of DS1, overall the game was solid but felt completely unfinished after O&S. For me, the 4 kings segment was okay, but the other lordsouls were horseshit bad and the final level was an embarrassment.

DS2 gets knocked for not having a connected world, but rarely do I see people dig deeper and discuss why this choice was made. The level design of DS2 is "short segments" - because in a world where you can teleport between bonfires it doesn't matter at all if your zones are connected. These short segments are absolutely required due to the design choices made for:

3. Torch mechanics

Past level design, DS2 just feels like a more complete game for me. Expanded spell selection, less obtuse crafting, more quality build diversity, and better multiplayer options all work in DS2's favor. Both DS1 and DS2 are 85% + games IMO, but DS2 is certainly the stronger title. I do think the criticisms of having too many humanoid shape bosses was legit, however, as well as a number of other gripes, just not level design.

Dark Souls I was really unfinished after O&S. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are better examples, honestly. Dark Souls's overall aesthetic and atmosphere is great, but it does fall apart after O&S.

Though, for what it's worth, I disagree that the short segments and bonfire warping that Dark Souls II added for the things you listed were necessarily good things. Bloodborne had a great balance, I thought (if only teleporting was less clunky). You can warp between lanterns right from the start, but the world is also interconnected, with shortcuts that are important and satisfying to open standing in for an overabundance of bonfires like Dark Souls II had. Really, Dark Souls II sacrificed too much for those things, I think. It's not even the interconnected world that matters to me--that stuff's really, really cool, don't get me wrong, but the more important part is the design within each area. The Miyazaki-led games do a much better job there, for my money, in that they feel less like I'm being ushered through a series of individual "encounters" or "challenges" and more like I'm navigating a complex, organic part of the world that happens to be extremely dangerous. I recognize that might not be everyone's priority, but I prefer it.

Dark Souls II definitely did some things better than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls did, so I hope they don't just completely walk back its more positive changes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
One thing I'd like to see them change is the phantom lighting. The subtle red glow you get invading in Bloodborne is so much nicer than the neon glow you get in DS2. Same for other phantoms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

After this, Dark Souls 2 SotFS had better be a daily deal on Steam tomorrow :argh:

I'm excited to play this game but in a way I'm even more excited that they said it's the last Dark Souls game. I love the series but I'd love a new setting for it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

After this, Dark Souls 2 SotFS had better be a daily deal on Steam tomorrow :argh:

I'm excited to play this game but in a way I'm even more excited that they said it's the last Dark Souls game. I love the series but I'd love a new setting for it.

U mean like..... bloodborne?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Dark Souls I was really unfinished after O&S. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are better examples, honestly. Dark Souls's overall aesthetic and atmosphere is great, but it does fall apart after O&S.

In your opinion

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont see whats supposed to be rushed about new londo and the dukes archives

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I look forward to once again turtleshielding

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

U mean like..... bloodborne?

I mean like there don't need to be four Dark Souls games

There didn't really need to be three. I like the games so I'm not complaining but let's move on after this

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I look forward to once again turtleshielding

As long as the shoulder bash from 2 stays in, it'll work out fine. If anything I thought shields were underpowered in 2.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Toebone posted:

I'm getting a big Zdzisław Beksiński vibe from that concept art.

Playing through Bloodborne feels like I'm in a Beksiński and Barlowe painting. It's so loving surreal sometimes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I.N.R.I posted:

Those plus tomb of giants are some of my favorite areas.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We can all agree that Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos are terrible at least, right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Night10194 posted:

If this game allows me to be constantly on fire it will be GOTY.

You can do that with a glitch in DS2 as it is while invading with a rank aura.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Manatee Cannon posted:

We can all agree that Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos are terrible at least, right?

dragon asses as far as the eye can see

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

As long as the shoulder bash from 2 stays in, it'll work out fine. If anything I thought shields were underpowered in 2.

The guard break is worthless for actually breaking people's guards. All you have to do is strafe backwards and an opponent's guard break can't even hit.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

i dont think anything about dark souls is terrible. it is what it is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I think when people talking about the game feeling rushed after O&S, they usually mean the Tomb of Giants and the whole Demon Ruins/Izalith part. That, and the post-O&S bosses, with the exception of Four Kings, really lack the punch of the earlier game bosses. Four Kings gets a lot of points for style and atmosphere, as does Gwyn, but Seath, Nito, and Bed of Chaos aren't great.

The DLC makes up for it, though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I think when people talking about the game feeling rushed after O&S, they usually mean the Tomb of Giants and the whole Demon Ruins/Izalith part. That, and the post-O&S bosses, with the exception of Four Kings, really lack the punch of the earlier game bosses. Four Kings gets a lot of points for style and atmosphere, as does Gwyn, but Seath, Nito, and Bed of Chaos aren't great.

Artorias owned

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Genocyber posted:

The guard break is worthless for actually breaking people's guards. All you have to do is strafe backwards and an opponent's guard break can't even hit.

Not everyone knows to do this and it's pretty easy to catch like 90% of people with shields up with it so

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

nito and seath are cool.. theyre just a little bit too easy IMO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NTT posted:

Artorias owned

I love the DLC bosses, Artorias and Manus especially. I think my love of the Manus fight probably accounts for how much I enjoyed Bloodborne, because, like, 50% of the bosses are basically Manus.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

all attacks are actually worthless in this game too. all you have to do is dodge whenever someone swings and the opponent's attack can't even hit.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is little in DS2 more stylish than a backstep dodge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope at some point we take an elevator from Ruined Anor Londo that goes up to Even More Lost Izalith.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Let's just all hope the level up mechanic is from Dark souls 1, no more LEST LEST SEEK ever please. Bloodborne was rad as gently caress but fell into this trap as well, especially with the long load times at launch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with DSfix, I have the game set to my desktop resolution. Has DS1 always had letterboxing or did I mess something up?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

fargom posted:

Let's just all hope the level up mechanic is from Dark souls 1, no more LEST LEST SEEK ever please. Bloodborne was rad as gently caress but fell into this trap as well, especially with the long load times at launch.

You haven't played enough if you can't remember it was BEAR SEEK SEEK LEST by heart :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

fargom posted:

3. Torch mechanics

You make some good points but have you considered that Dark Souls 1 is better than Dark Souls 2?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The protagonist sorta looks like he has a fused crown in his helmet. Wonder if this means he's wearing the anti-hollowing helmet from DS2 DLC?

My thoughts on the "only embers remain" thing is either you're in the dark stage of the cycle but since you basically are that in both DS1 and DS2 I don't think so, I think you're in the DLC ending of DS2 where you break the cycle. I doubt you're the same character but maybe he dies at some point and you have his crown at the start or early on.

All the fire on the characters is definitely the embers of the first flame and maybe they're just trying to keep close to it as they deteriorate, maybe in your attempt to stop the destructive cycle it turns out things turn to poo poo anyway, that would be pretty Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

fargom posted:

What was their reasoning for doing the limited respawns thing? To stop grinding? I always thought that grinding was kind of like an adjustable difficulty level for people having a tough time who still wanted to see the rest of the game, or for people who wanted to try out all the weapons and stuff.

• Locked thread