Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Genocyber posted:

As an aside, the game lowers your effective stats and weapon reinforcement levels if yours are above the hosts. So even legitimately it's harder (though by no means impossible) to do a twink sunbro.

That's gay as hell and removes part of the fun of multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's honestly crossed my mind.

Apart from the high luck stat (which might be valuable depending on your build, who knows), Deprived actually seems like an adequate choice this time around instead of Wasted Levels: The Class.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's honestly crossed my mind.

Deprived is actually super fun on your virgin run in these games.

Not knowing where anything is, having to scrape for whatever you can get. You only have that experience once, so if you're going to do a deprived run, opposed to say, pick it because of stat allocation, do it with your very first character. I will. I have a lot of fun as deprived in DS2 as my first character. It evens out before too long, and you're going to screw up your build one way or another your first trip, so min/maxing it is dumb.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gologle posted:

That's gay as hell and removes part of the fun of multiplayer.

That's the fun part of multiplayer?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kiggles posted:

Not knowing where anything is, having to scrape for whatever you can get. You only have that experience once, so if you're going to do a deprived run, opposed to say, pick it because of stat allocation, do it with your very first character. I will. I have a lot of fun as deprived in DS2 as my first character. It evens out before too long, and you're going to screw up your build one way or another your first trip, so min/maxing it is dumb.

I'd agree but DS3 has respecs, which means you actually can un-gently caress your build later if needed. Still, Deprived is a fun choice. Knight is blatantly the best choice if you want to do any online stuff though.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

net cafe scandal posted:

That's the fun part of multiplayer?

he said part of the fun, and yeah, owning people with your busted poo poo is definitely a big part of the fun

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Kiggles posted:

OTOH you can play the guy with cool armour and fewer wasted stats for nearly any build unless you want to go pure caster or 0 dex or something :shobon:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Zand posted:

he said part of the fun, and yeah, owning people with your busted poo poo is definitely a big part of the fun

Sunbros dont own people theyre friends

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

I'd agree but DS3 has respecs, which means you actually can un-gently caress your build later if needed. Still, Deprived is a fun choice. Knight is blatantly the best choice if you want to do any online stuff though.

Yeah the only real choices are Knight and Pyromancer

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Speaking of Graphics Card purchases how do people justify upgrading their GPU's every 2/3 years when a console costs about the same/less and lasts for a couple more years at least?

I've been super neurotic over my settings in the past and have spunked like £400 evey couple of years at least but am finding this harder to swallow as other real life expenses become increasingly important.

Hoping that DS3 will work fine over the steam link since the PC version was cheaper too. If not I'll just have to pick up a PS4 version when it drops in price in a couple of months for living room play.

I'm interested to hear how the new title is more connected to 1 lore wise, I was hoping 2 would feel a bit more connected/same land different time than it did.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
With the game fast approaching, if anyone wants to hang out and get hyped together, the Steam Goon Dark Souls group is right here, if you're not already a member.

It's set to private so throw me a friend invite here and I'll invite you into the chat.

Less than 24 hours to go!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Zand posted:

Honestly, getting owned by people with busted poo poo is pretty entertaining too, unless you're someone who takes the game way too seriously. That was one of my biggest criticisms of DS2, that the soul memory system made it almost impossible to invade people and dunk on/be dunked by them. Unless you just started making multiple characters, and screw that time investment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

Speaking of Graphics Card purchases how do people justify upgrading their GPU's every 2/3 years when a console costs about the same/less and lasts for a couple more years at least?

I've been super neurotic over my settings in the past and have spunked like £400 evey couple of years at least but am finding this harder to swallow as other real life expenses become increasingly important.

Hoping that DS3 will work fine over the steam link since the PC version was cheaper too. If not I'll just have to pick up a PS4 version when it drops in price in a couple of months for living room play.

I'm interested to hear how the new title is more connected to 1 lore wise, I was hoping 2 would feel a bit more connected/same land different time than it did.

I justify upgrading when a game comes out that I can't run acceptably that I absolutely have to play. Upgrading every other year is a suckers game for the most part, or if you derive sexual pleasure from graphical fidelity.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

sector_corrector posted:

Well, Amazon isn't shipping my copy of the game till Thursday. Is it worth contacting customer service and trying to get it rushed, or should I just cancel and get it in a physical store?

Edit: looks like it's a display bug. It should still arrive on the 12th.

Same situation, customer service was, uh, not much help. Ended up canceling my "Day One" edition because I don't care about the extra stuff, and then re-ordering the regular edition because Day One is sold out.

Now instead of having a Thursday estimated delivery I have no estimated delivery lol

How did you hear about the display bug?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've bought two graphics cards total and my old one that was mid-range 4 years ago (7850) is still enough to average 30fps on DS3 according to that benchmark posted two days ago.

That cost me maybe 200 250 canadian funbucks.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh boy, only a day until I get to see if I can finaggle my lovely old GeForce into running this smoothly on low settings! If not I'll have a cry and play something else I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah the only real choices are Knight and Pyromancer

Eh, Cleric and Sorcerer are good for full-on faith/intelligence builds since they have low intelligence/faith, respectively. And a few of the other classes are better suited for Luck builds. And that only matters if you care about PVP min/maxing. Otherwise all of the classes carry some early game advantage (e.g. Sorcerer starts with the sorcery boosting ring that you otherwise can't get for a while, Thief starts out with a shortbow, Herald has miracle capability while also being well-armored).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I used a coin jar towards when I splurged for a 970 a while back.

Over $100 in change certainly helped matters.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

Same situation, customer service was, uh, not much help. Ended up canceling my "Day One" edition because I don't care about the extra stuff, and then re-ordering the regular edition because Day One is sold out.

Now instead of having a Thursday estimated delivery I have no estimated delivery lol

How did you hear about the display bug?

Reading the FAQ thing on the store page. I then contacted a customer rep, and he made sure that I had the day one shipping, so now it should be here on Tuesday.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Coin jars for the win.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Genocyber posted:

As an aside, the game lowers your effective stats and weapon reinforcement levels if yours are above the hosts. So even legitimately it's harder (though by no means impossible) to do a twink sunbro.

what are people actually able to twink then? really just baseline gear like weapon & armor & ring & spell selection? if you want to dickwraith people again you've got to SL1 and never level up AND never level up your gear?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Orv posted:

I justify upgrading when a game comes out that I can't run acceptably that I absolutely have to play. Upgrading every other year is a suckers game for the most part, or if you derive sexual pleasure from graphical fidelity.

That's pretty much why I checked out of PC gaming. I spent something like 15 years upgrading my GPU every other year because some new game would come out and I'd inevitably get enough frame drops to feel like I wasn't getting the most out of my other components. Once I quit playing WoW in 2012 or so, I realized any game I wanted to play was either Nintendo-only or also on consoles. It probably didn't help that I sit in front of computers all day as a job.

It'd be great if Dark Souls 3 was 60FPS on PS4, but it doesn't really bother me much at all these days. As long as there's no pre-patch Blighttown, I can deal with some FPS drops.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

RabidWeasel posted:

OTOH you can play the guy with cool armour and fewer wasted stats for nearly any build unless you want to go pure caster or 0 dex or something :shobon:
All true but-

You only have the first playthrough experience once. You can't use a soul vessel to reset your meta knowledge.

You can always roll another character to min/max. The deprived "experience" doesn't really last beyond the first 5 hours, anyway.

The thing to note is simply that deprived isn't some sort of "challenge" mode class. It is a novelty, but one that has you really appreciate whatever you get for those first few hours. Hollow Soldier Boots? The gently caress is that garbage? It's garbage, but to a Deprived, that poo poo is AWESOME! Naturally, meta knowledge won't take too much away from that - what WILL take away from the experience is knowing Hollow Soldiers in Forest of Fallen Giants drop that awesome garbage like it is going out of style (it is).

I can't recommend Deprived enough as everyone's first character. If it doesn't sound like something that will interest you, all well and good. I just know that some of the most fun I had in DS2 was those first couple of hours as Deprived. Everything was exciting, because literally everything was potentially useful. Even if it is an issue of time, it doesn't take that long, and unless you only expect to PvP with 1 highly specific build, chances are good a Deprived will have just as many wasted stat points as any other starting class when it comes time to settling on a build as the meta settles in.

I'm not saying anyone who does anything different is doing it wrong. I'm only saying you only have one shot at playing a Deprived without knowing how to quickly gear up.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Orv posted:

Or you're buying laptops and upgrading every 3 years is BECAUSE you can't run a new game acceptably even on low settings any more :haw:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Or you're buying laptops and upgrading every 3 years is BECAUSE you can't run a new game acceptably even on low settings any more :haw:

Yeah I've had a laptop for the past couple years because it was a necessary expedience at the time, I'm going to build a desktop later this year and burn this thing as a dark offering to never have to do that again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2b1pH0ZW68

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well that's sufficiently disquieting, good job that guy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I was visiting home for the weekend, thinking in the back of my mind the game was coming on Tuesday. I checked steam on my phone and saw the release date is the 11th- tomorrow. So I drive 3 hours back to my apartment this evening in the fog and rain thinking the game was going to unlock at midnight or something. Doesn't unlock until 730 tomorrow evening here it turns out. Well gently caress. I've been going through all the games again, I just need to knock off the boss in the first DLC of DS2, then do the other DLCs and do the throne and I'm done with that, so at least it buys me some more time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

codo27 posted:

So I was visiting home for the weekend, thinking in the back of my mind the game was coming on Tuesday. I checked steam on my phone and saw the release date is the 11th- tomorrow. So I drive 3 hours back to my apartment this evening in the fog and rain thinking the game was going to unlock at midnight or something. Doesn't unlock until 730 tomorrow evening here it turns out. Well gently caress. I've been going through all the games again, I just need to knock off the boss in the first DLC of DS2, then do the other DLCs and do the throne and I'm done with that, so at least it buys me some more time.

Those three DLCs were definitely not a one-day ordeal for me so get crackin'.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
How many of you bastards have gone hollow yet

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chaos eaters and the centipede demon are the only good parts of Lost Izalith.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so it looks like the red eye orb isn't a covenant item and isn't one use and you don't have to stand somewhere to keep using it over and over, you can just click it once and it'll keep searching til you get a hit? i am in love :rock:

Orv
May 4, 2011

homeless poster posted:

so it looks like the red eye orb isn't a covenant item and isn't one use and you don't have to stand somewhere to keep using it over and over, you can just click it once and it'll keep searching til you get a hit? i am in love :rock:

Correct. You can even use it as any covenant and it'll multicolor your phantom appropriately. It's quite neat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can you giantdad

Orv
May 4, 2011

No.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there anything special that I need to do or not do with NPCs to avoid missing something or having them go off and die?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pwnstar posted:

Is there anything special that I need to do or not do with NPCs to avoid missing something or having them go off and die?

Of course

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Several trillion. It's stupidly complex in terms of NPC stories.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

also, all of the notes since the jp release ive seen seem to indicate that blue sentinels and blades of the darkmoon do the same thing? is that really the case, the only difference is the rewards you get for ranking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

also, all of the notes since the jp release ive seen seem to indicate that blue sentinels and blades of the darkmoon do the same thing? is that really the case, the only difference is the rewards you get for ranking up?

They have the same item, and the same rank rewards (ranking in one might even count for the other, not sure). Only difference is a slight difference in appearance.

• Locked thread