Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

GANDHITRON posted:

What was their reasoning for doing the limited respawns thing? To stop grinding? I always thought that grinding was kind of like an adjustable difficulty level for people having a tough time who still wanted to see the rest of the game, or for people who wanted to try out all the weapons and stuff.

I always considered the limited respawn as a difficulty concession. If you kill an enemy going through an area so many times, eventually the game just removes that enemy to make the run easier. I do dislike how it inhibits item drops, though, which aren't exactly generous as it is with certain items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

dude looks like he's about to give a thumbs up

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

nopantsjack posted:

The protagonist sorta looks like he has a fused crown in his helmet. Wonder if this means he's wearing the anti-hollowing helmet from DS2 DLC?

My thoughts on the "only embers remain" thing is either you're in the dark stage of the cycle but since you basically are that in both DS1 and DS2 I don't think so, I think you're in the DLC ending of DS2 where you break the cycle. I doubt you're the same character but maybe he dies at some point and you have his crown at the start or early on.

All the fire on the characters is definitely the embers of the first flame and maybe they're just trying to keep close to it as they deteriorate, maybe in your attempt to stop the destructive cycle it turns out things turn to poo poo anyway, that would be pretty Dark Souls.
I think maybe no one kindled the fire this cycle so the embers are just up and burning on their own in chosen vessels.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
That's probably the only CGI trailer I've gotten hyped over this year. Looks like things are coming back to Lordran, and it looks to me like a Giant has linked the flame? The way it's arms light up remind me of Dark Souls 1's ending.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
It'll be bullshit if we're not getting a "thumbs up!" gesture.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Drakes posted:

It'll be bullshit if we're not getting a "thumbs up!" gesture.

This is something the series should've had from day one, honestly.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

GANDHITRON posted:

What was their reasoning for doing the limited respawns thing? To stop grinding? I always thought that grinding was kind of like an adjustable difficulty level for people having a tough time who still wanted to see the rest of the game, or for people who wanted to try out all the weapons and stuff.

I have no idea why they went with limited respawns, and I'm not even saying the limited respawn is a better mechanic. Overall i find it to be a good thing, it really doesn't come into play for "good" or moderately good players, but for people who are struggling it's nice to have a clear run back the 1000th time you fight that one boss you got stuck on forever, whichever it might be.

My point was mostly that the comparison between level design comes up a ton, and it's fine to have a preference, but just discounting DS2 because it "didn't have the interconnected world" isn't really a a good argument. Everything stems from deciding that bonfire warp will be a thing from the get go, once that decision is made the rest of the systems of the game have to fall into line and make sense.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Yeah I liked the limited respawns especially in SoFTS when you could turn it off by joining company of champions. Make a boss run enough times and the fodder is just boring busy work, like the giant armors before the Fume Knight, nothing difficult just an hp tank.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I am a terrible souls player, I die probably more than I have to, even so the first Dark Souls and Bloodborne both held me interested for the entire duration of those games, and I don't even complete that many games, I actually can't think of a single game other than these two and ocarina of time, that I've played from start to finish in a very long time.

Dark Souls 2 was uninteresting, the game wasn't bad or anything, I just stopped playing because it completely failed to keep me invested enough to beat that difficult boss or go through another cave.

I'm gonna chalk it up to Miyazaki's directing.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
All I want is no goddamned time limits in multiplayer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Octo1 posted:

All I want is no goddamned time limits in multiplayer.

But then you get stuck forever with some rear end in a top hat who summons you by a boss door and then kites you to a totally different part of the world

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But then you get stuck forever with some rear end in a top hat who summons you by a boss door and then kites you to a totally different part of the world

Every single game has had an item that you could use to go back to your world with no penalty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EC posted:

Every single game has had an item that you could use to go back to your world with no penalty.

And there's always the sweet sweet release of death.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Death is but another doorway.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
My but hole is ready

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So since that skeleton dude caught fire does that mean that bonfires are now skeletons?

Hurrah for skeleton bonfire!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bonfires were always made up of skeletons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You gotta beat the bonfire before you can use it

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You gotta beat the bonfire before you can use it

Yeah that's what I was trying to mean.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spudd posted:

Yeah that's what I was trying to mean.

The leak implied you might be able to make bonfires with the sacrifice mechanic.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Orv posted:

The leak implied you might be able to make bonfires with the sacrifice mechanic.

Aww I was hoping for a Bonfire Wheel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
More like a Bonefire Wheel.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

More like a Bonefire Wheel.
Literally every bonfire in Souls is a Bonefire.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was always more interested in where they get all the swords for the bonfires

There is a undead blacksmith making a killing on bonfire swords out there

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So is the only source the Miyazaki's directing the european account?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

The protagonist sorta looks like he has a fused crown in his helmet. Wonder if this means he's wearing the anti-hollowing helmet from DS2 DLC?

My thoughts on the "only embers remain" thing is either you're in the dark stage of the cycle but since you basically are that in both DS1 and DS2 I don't think so, I think you're in the DLC ending of DS2 where you break the cycle. I doubt you're the same character but maybe he dies at some point and you have his crown at the start or early on..

I think it is the protagonist from 2 since you leave the throne as the first and only undead who doesn't hollow so you've attained true immortality at that point and what other undead would be around that hasn't hollowed or transformed from the flame going out?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

VarXX posted:

I think it is the protagonist from 2 since you leave the throne as the first and only undead who doesn't hollow so you've attained true immortality at that point and what other undead would be around that hasn't hollowed or transformed from the flame going out?

you are the furtive pygmy and its a prequel

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i hope the next game is nothing but bonewheels

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

i hope the next game is nothing but bonewheels

It's the chariot boss arena in Dark Souls 2 but filled with bonewheels

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So is the only source the Miyazaki's directing the european account?

Official press release says so.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e3 diorama of ugly hands

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

turtlecrunch posted:

Official press release says so.
they said the same thing before ds2

and he didnt

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I do think it was odd he wasn't on the announcement trailer.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

e3 diorama of ugly hands

That looks incredibly goofy, but the idea of Build Your Own Bonefire is still cool. I'm a masochist so I hope you have to sacrifice something besides a Hollow, like one of your weapons (which immediately transmorphs into the bonfire sword you can never get in game :argh:)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Relin posted:

they said the same thing before ds2

and he didnt

Uhm, no, they didn't. One of the first things that was said for Dark Souls 2 was actually "Miyazaki isn't directing this time" and it caused quite a ruckus.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

More of a stir than a ruckus.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SirDan3k posted:

Make a boss run enough times and the fodder is just boring busy work, like the giant armors before the Fume Knight, nothing difficult just an hp tank.
There's no reason to fight those guys, though. Just run along the opposite wall and even on the off-chance that they trigger they'll never catch you.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

More of a stir than a ruckus.

a racket.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://instagram.com/p/3_-dKZEls2/